|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the letters that are the answer to number 54 have emphasis placed on them?
2. This speaking imitates ___________.
3. From whose perspective is "Grasshoppers?"
4. Where do the grasshoppers hop?
5. The mayfly's birth and death take place when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of this book?
2. What feelings are evoked by the grasshoppers? Why?
3. How is the structure of the poem "Grasshoppers" reminiscent of the movement of the grasshoppers?
4. How are other animals like humans? What human qualities do other animals have?
5. To what does the poet compare fireflies? Is this a good comparison? Why or why not?
6. How are these book lice opposites? How do they get past this?
7. How does the mayfly's perception of time compare to our own?
8. Why are mayflies so frantic, according to this poem?
9. What is the mood of the book lice poem? Why?
10. Describe the grasshoppers in "Grasshoppers" and the water striders in "Water Striders." How do they compare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Famous authors' names are mentioned in "Book Lice."
Part 1) How do these famous authors' names get mentioned in this poem? Why might the poet have decided to include these famous authors in this poem? Does this enhance the poem in any way? Why or why not?
Part 2) What information might be helpful prior to reading this poem? Why? How might this information effect one's ability to understand "Book Lice" and the differences between these two different lice?
Part 3) How important is it to learn about famous authors and artists? Explain. Would the author of this book agree with you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is artwork found throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe the artwork found in this book. How is the artwork connected to the poems? How important is the artwork to the poems? Which poems seem to have a stronger connection with the artwork? Why?
Part 2) Is this artwork necessary to the poetry? Why or why not? Does it effectively enhance the poems? Why or why not?
Part 3) How are art and literature connected, in general? How do they benefit from each other? How can they inspire and support each other?
Essay Topic 3
The different species' personalities are as different as people.
Part 1) Which insect species is most like you? How is this species like you? How does this affect your opinion of this species?
Part 2) How might your opinion of this species change your view of them the next time you see them? Why?
Part 3) How can you use this book to help you better understand other creatures, such as mammals and reptiles?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)