|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does the digger wasp prepare for its children?
2. This poem can be described how?
(a) As annoying.
(b) As melancholy.
(c) As sad.
(d) As musical.
3. "Honeybees" is quite different from the previous poems. Why?
(a) The mood is not humorous.
(b) The lives of all bees is not equal.
(c) There are two insects in this poem.
(d) The bee is unhappy.
4. For much of human history the largest group within a culture was the __________.
5. The two parts of the poem frequently do what?
(b) Tell jokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the worker bee spend his days?
2. When read aloud by the two speakers, this poem creates a sense of what?
3. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
4. Where are the water boatmen headed?
5. The digger wasp feels _______________ that its offspring will understand the sacrifices it made for them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of "Cicadas?"
2. Compare the different types of honeybees.
3. What is "Requiem?"
4. How is "Requiem" unlike any of the other poems? Why?
5. How is the artwork important, specifically to the whirligig beetle poem? Why?
6. How does this poem draw attention to nature and the life cycle of insects?
7. How could a person relate to a day in the life of the whirligig beetle?
8. Why might the digger wasp die before its young are born?
9. How does the author use poetry and literary devices to teach about whirligig beetles?
10. What is a literary device used in "Water Boatmen?" Explain how it is used.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)