|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To emphasize the powerful and image-provoking verbs used by the poet, he has used what literary device?
2. Each poem is about a ___________ of insects.
3. How do the mayflies view their lives?
(a) As a relatively short time.
(b) As entirely too long.
(c) As a waste of time.
(d) As a relatively long time.
4. What do the water striders call those they attempt to teach to walk on water?
(a) Their enemies.
(b) Their students.
(c) Their friends.
(d) Their proteges.
5. How does the poet help the reader relate to fireflies?
(a) He compares the fireflies to dancers.
(b) He compares the fireflies to musicians.
(c) He compares the fireflies to artists.
(d) He compare the fireflies to athletes.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Grasshoppers" describes the grasshoppers' _______________ movements and energy.
2. "Book Lice" describes what?
3. How do the water striders react to the consequences of trying to teach others to walk on water?
4. Only when does the mayfly seem to feel nostalgia?
5. What does the moth do throughout the entirety of this poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. If you only had twenty-four hours to live, what would you do? Why?
2. What is the mood of the book lice poem? Why?
3. How does the poet use words to make the movement of the firefly more exciting and vivid? Do you think this is effective? Why or why not?
4. How does a mayfly feel at the end of its life? Why?
5. What might be the real purpose for a firefly's light? Why do you think this?
6. How can a person relate to this moth?
7. To what does the poet compare fireflies? Is this a good comparison? Why or why not?
8. What is the purpose of this book?
9. If you were to write a poem, what would it be about? Why?
10. What does the poem "Book Lice" do for English literature?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)