|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Fireflies" tells of the _________ of a firefly.
2. What do the two lice spend this poem doing?
(a) Trying to climb to a higher shelf.
(b) Arguing with each other.
(c) Eating glue from the book bindings.
(d) Describing their lives on various book shelves and their life as a couple.
3. To what else does the poet also compare the firefly?
(a) Painting and brush strokes.
(b) Acting, shouting, ordering others around.
(c) Zipping, zooming, and zany behavior.
(d) Singing, vocalizing, and warbling.
4. Why does the mayfly feel nostalgia?
(a) For its friends.
(b) For its family.
(c) It does not feel nostalgic.
(d) For its youth.
5. To emphasize the powerful and image-provoking verbs used by the poet, he has used what literary device?
Short Answer Questions
1. Unlike "Grasshoppers," "Water Striders" is from the perspective of whom?
2. How does the poet accurately describe the behavior of a moth in this poem?
3. In this poem, the viewer is ________________ the grasshoppers.
4. The water strider's ability to walk on water hints at what?
5. How did other types of insects react to the water strider's abilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "Requiem" unlike any of the other poems? Why?
2. Why might the poet write a book about insects? Why did he choose to write about insects using poetry?
3. How are house crickets like humans?
4. How is the artwork important, specifically to the whirligig beetle poem? Why?
5. Why might the digger wasp die before its young are born?
6. What story does "Moth's Serenade" tell? What does this explain about moths?
7. If you were to write a poem, what would it be about? Why?
8. How does this poem draw attention to nature and the life cycle of insects?
9. How does this mood in "The Digger Wasp" change? Why?
10. To what does the poet compare fireflies? Is this a good comparison? Why or why not?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)