|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Can humans relate to the mayfly's short time on earth?
(a) Not usually.
2. This book is made to be read by ___________ people simultaneously.
3. How does the poet specifically use this literary device?
(a) He has exaggerated the abilities of the firefly.
(b) He has compared the firefly to Degas.
(c) He has placed verbs beginning with the same letter adjacent to each other.
(d) He has represented fireflies as the green army of the night sky.
4. What factual information does "Book Lice" give about lice?
(a) Information about how they compromise for the sake of their love.
(b) Information regarding their birth and life in the bindings of books.
(c) Information regarding their favorite books.
(d) information about how they meet other lice.
5. "Fireflies" tells of the _________ of a firefly.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Mayflies" describes the _________ life of the mayfly
2. To emphasize the powerful and image-provoking verbs used by the poet, he has used what literary device?
3. According to this poem, why is the moth drawn to the light?
4. How do the book lice meet?
5. What is the definition of the literary device that is the answer to number 42?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of "Book Lice?"
2. If you were to write a poem, what would it be about? Why?
3. How would you describe a firefly to someone who has never seen one?
4. How can a person relate to this moth?
5. Why might the poet write a book about insects? Why did he choose to write about insects using poetry?
6. What is "Joyful Noise?" Why might the poet find this joyful?
7. To what does the poet compare fireflies? Is this a good comparison? Why or why not?
8. How does the poet use words to make the movement of the firefly more exciting and vivid? Do you think this is effective? Why or why not?
9. What feelings are evoked by the grasshoppers? Why?
10. How are mayflies and fireflies similar?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)