|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Can humans relate to the mayfly's short time on earth?
(c) Not usually.
2. Where do the grasshoppers hop?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In a cage.
(c) Through their environment.
(d) Through someone's house.
3. "Mayflies" ________________ tells of the brief life of the mayfly.
4. _______________ are used to help people to better understand the insect world around them.
(a) Animal instincts.
(b) Scientific words.
(c) Insect behavior.
(d) Human emotion and perspective.
5. What is the mood of "Book Lice?"
Short Answer Questions
1. This poem is also filled with ___________.
2. When do the speakers say this, in regards to the answer to number 14?
3. The poet compares the firefly to what?
4. What is the water strider's special skill?
5. After the results of the water strider's attempts to teach others to walk on water, why might the water striders want to continue "teaching" others to walk on water?
Short Essay Questions
1. If you were to write a poem, what would it be about? Why?
2. To what can the water strider's ability to walk on water be compared? Why?
3. What is "Joyful Noise?" Why might the poet find this joyful?
4. If you only had twenty-four hours to live, what would you do? Why?
5. How does the poet use words to make the movement of the firefly more exciting and vivid? Do you think this is effective? Why or why not?
6. How are mayflies and fireflies similar?
7. What feelings are evoked by the grasshoppers? Why?
8. How would you describe a firefly to someone who has never seen one?
9. Describe the grasshoppers in "Grasshoppers" and the water striders in "Water Striders." How do they compare?
10. How does a mayfly feel at the end of its life? Why?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)