|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Only when does the mayfly seem to feel nostalgia?
(a) It never feels nostalgia.
(b) In the middle of the poem.
(c) At the end of the poem.
(d) At the beginning of the poem.
2. How does the poet help the reader relate to fireflies?
(a) He compares the fireflies to dancers.
(b) He compare the fireflies to athletes.
(c) He compares the fireflies to musicians.
(d) He compares the fireflies to artists.
3. How are people like the mayfly?
(a) Most people lazily drift through life.
(b) Most people rush through life, frantically trying to fit in as much as possible.
(c) Most people do not think about the consequences of their actions.
(d) Most people do not think about others as they speed through life.
4. _______________ are used to help people to better understand the insect world around them.
(a) Animal instincts.
(b) Human emotion and perspective.
(c) Insect behavior.
(d) Scientific words.
5. What does the mayfly desire?
(a) A longer life.
(b) More food.
(c) More friends.
(d) A shorter life.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Grasshoppers" describes the grasshoppers' _______________ movements and energy.
2. How do the mayflies view their lives?
3. Whom do the water striders try to teach to walk on water?
4. The poet compares the firefly to what?
5. Where do the grasshoppers hop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grasshoppers in "Grasshoppers" and the water striders in "Water Striders." How do they compare?
2. What might be the real purpose for a firefly's light? Why do you think this?
3. What story does "Moth's Serenade" tell? What does this explain about moths?
4. What literary devices does the poet use to express the moth's feelings?
5. Why are mayflies so frantic, according to this poem?
6. How are these lice like people?
7. What mood is created by the behavior of the water striders? Why?
8. To what can the water strider's ability to walk on water be compared? Why?
9. How are mayflies and fireflies similar?
10. What is the purpose of "Book Lice?"
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)