|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the water strider feel when its students cannot perform its special skill?
2. "Water Striders" describes the _________ action of this insect.
3. What do mayflies and fireflies have in common?
(a) They fly.
(b) They are born and die in the same water source.
(c) They light up.
(d) They live for one day.
4. After the results of the water strider's attempts to teach others to walk on water, why might the water striders want to continue "teaching" others to walk on water?
(a) They do not want to give up on their desire to teach others to walk on water.
(b) They want to make others fall in the water.
(c) They think it is funny to see others fall in the water.
(d) They have nothing better to do.
5. How did other types of insects react to the water strider's abilities?
(a) They were annoyed.
(b) They were somewhat shocked.
(c) They were jealous.
(d) They were not surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the homes of the lice?
2. In this poem, the viewer is ________________ the grasshoppers.
3. How do the mayflies view their lives?
4. Only when does the mayfly seem to feel nostalgia?
5. What is the mood of "Fireflies?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poet use words to make the movement of the firefly more exciting and vivid? Do you think this is effective? Why or why not?
2. How is the structure of the poem "Grasshoppers" reminiscent of the movement of the grasshoppers?
3. How are these book lice opposites? How do they get past this?
4. Describe the grasshoppers in "Grasshoppers" and the water striders in "Water Striders." How do they compare?
5. How can a person relate to this moth?
6. What is the purpose of "Book Lice?"
7. How are these lice like people?
8. If you were to write a poem, what would it be about? Why?
9. How does the mayfly's perception of time compare to our own?
10. To what does the poet compare fireflies? Is this a good comparison? Why or why not?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)