|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the letters that are the answer to number 54 have emphasis placed on them?
(a) By putting them in bold print.
(b) By only using words that begin with these letters.
(c) By using them repeatedly.
(d) By using them at the beginning of most of the lines.
2. What kind of poem is "Moth's Serenade?"
(a) An educational poem.
(b) A love poem.
(c) A Haiku.
(d) A factual poem.
3. Joyful Noise is a book of ____________.
(b) Legal documents.
(c) Short stories.
4. What does the water strider feel when its students cannot perform its special skill?
5. Humans can _________________ over people and things, much like the moth in "The Moth's Serenade."
(b) Become angry.
(d) Become sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mayfly desire?
2. What aspects of humanity can be learned from the book lice poem?
3. What is the mood of "The Moth's Serenade?"
4. _______________ are used to help people to better understand the insect world around them.
5. "Fireflies" tells of the _________ of a firefly.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Digger Wasp" describe? Why?
2. How does the author use poetry and literary devices to teach about whirligig beetles?
3. Describe the grasshoppers in "Grasshoppers" and the water striders in "Water Striders." How do they compare?
4. How does this mood in "The Digger Wasp" change? Why?
5. What is the purpose of "Book Lice?"
6. What mood is created by the behavior of the water striders? Why?
7. What story does "Moth's Serenade" tell? What does this explain about moths?
8. What is the mood of "The Digger Wasp?" Why?
9. How does the poet use poetry to give the reader a sense of what cicadas sound like?
10. What does the poem "Book Lice" do for English literature?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)