|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the lives of the two types of bees similar?
(a) They lay eggs.
(b) They make honey.
(c) They play their part in keeping the hive thriving.
(d) They protect the hive.
2. The digger wasp wants its children to know that they were ____________.
(c) Prayed for.
3. A great deal of imagery and expressive vocabulary is also used to describe the ____________ movements of these beetles.
4. The digger wasp creates what for its children?
(a) A room.
(b) A shelter.
(c) A bed.
(d) A nest.
5. This is the first poem to focus on what?
(a) The life of these insects.
(b) The personalities of these insects.
(c) The mortality of these insects.
(d) The habitats of these insects.
6. The poet names _________________ insect species.
(a) Very similar.
(c) Very few.
(d) Many different.
7. "Requiem" is a _______________.
(c) Persuasive speech.
8. How does "Requiem" end?
(a) By blaming people for the deaths of these insects.
(b) By giving the insects homes.
(c) By giving the names of the insects who have died.
(d) By giving the cause of death.
9. What is another mood that can be felt while reading "The Digger Wasp"?
10. How does the queen spend her days?
(a) Slaving away to provide for the hive.
(b) Lounging around or laying eggs.
(c) Flying around the hive looking for a mate.
(d) Eating bonbons and watching movies.
11. What is another mood of "Honeybees"?
(d) Relaxed and happy.
12. This poem pays respect to these insects when?
(a) When they become adult insects.
(b) At the time of their births.
(c) At the time they go through metamorphosis.
(d) At the time of their deaths.
13. From where are the cicadas coming?
(a) Out of the ground.
(b) Out of cocoons.
(c) Out of caves.
(d) Out of the trees.
14. What about this time of year do the cicadas like?
(a) The snow.
(b) The birds.
(c) The sun.
(d) The flowers.
15. What else is reflected by what covers the pages of the poem?
(a) The confusion and frustration that must be caused by this many beetles.
(b) The chaos this movement must create among this throng of beetles.
(c) The way life must be in this habitat.
(d) The way the beetles must have to hunt to find food.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Water Boatmen" frequently repeats what word?
2. With what are the pages of the whirligig beetle's poem covered?
3. This group of people slaved away for the small _____________ population who controlled the country.
4. What else does the digger wasp prepare for its children?
5. What are the cicadas celebrating?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)