|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the water boatmen reach their destination?
(a) They start families.
(b) They die.
(c) They turn around and head back to where they came from.
(d) They are allowed to rest.
2. "Cicadas" tells of the _________ that cicadas feel.
3. What is one of the moods of "Honeybees"?
4. "Requiem" is, unlike many of the other poems in this book. How?
(a) It is very angry.
(b) It is very humorous.
(c) It is very confident.
(d) It is very solemn and serious.
5. Can many people relate to the queen bee? Why or why not?
(a) Most people can relate to her because they are lazy and do not work.
(b) Most people can relate to her because they are wealthy.
(c) Most people cannot relate to her because they have to work hard to provide for themselves and their families.
(d) Most people can relate to her because they are royalty.
6. For much of human history the largest group within a culture was the __________.
7. What else is reflected by what covers the pages of the poem?
(a) The way the beetles must have to hunt to find food.
(b) The way life must be in this habitat.
(c) The confusion and frustration that must be caused by this many beetles.
(d) The chaos this movement must create among this throng of beetles.
8. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
(a) With a male cicada.
(b) With a single creature.
(c) With two creatures.
(d) With a chorus of cicadas.
9. The digger wasp wants its children to know that they were ____________.
(c) Prayed for.
10. What are three words used to describe the whirligig beetle's movements?
(a) Slow, languid, lazy.
(b) Merry-go-rounds, swerving, wheeling.
(c) Straight as a pencil, a line, sharp.
(d) Zigzag, lightning, jagged.
11. What tool is used by the poet to express the beetles' qualities?
(a) The unison sections of the two speakers' parts.
(b) The repetition of words in the poem.
(c) The simple language found in this poem.
(d) The overlapping of the two speakers' parts.
12. This is the first poem to focus on what?
(a) The personalities of these insects.
(b) The habitats of these insects.
(c) The life of these insects.
(d) The mortality of these insects.
13. "Water Boatmen" describes the ________________ of this insect.
(b) Effort and determination.
(d) Calm and happy personality.
14. Where are the water boatmen headed?
(a) To the bottom of the pond.
(b) To the ocean.
(c) To the opposite shore.
(d) To the coral reef.
15. According to these beetles, this ____________ way of moving is the best way to move.
(d) Round about and indirect.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have the cicadas spent in the dark?
2. How can people relate to the worker bee?
3. What covers the pages of this poem reflect what?
4. "The Digger Wasp" is a very _________________ story.
5. What is another mood that can be felt while reading "The Digger Wasp"?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)