|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the water boatmen headed?
(a) To the bottom of the pond.
(b) To the opposite shore.
(c) To the coral reef.
(d) To the ocean.
2. How are people like the water boatmen?
(a) Most people own boats.
(b) People are also called oarsmen.
(c) Most people like to swim.
(d) People often work hard for a chance at a vacation or break.
3. Which bee believes life is relaxing and enjoyable?
(a) The queen bee.
(b) The sweat bee.
(c) The bumble bee.
(d) The worker bee.
4. What happens when the water boatmen reach their destination?
(a) They are allowed to rest.
(b) They die.
(c) They start families.
(d) They turn around and head back to where they came from.
5. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
(a) With a male cicada.
(b) With a chorus of cicadas.
(c) With a single creature.
(d) With two creatures.
6. Why is the answer to number 90 repeated in the poem?
(a) This repetition creates the rhythm of the insects' oars as they slice through the water.
(b) This repetition shows how fast the boatmen must swim.
(c) This repetition is meant to annoy the reader.
(d) This repetition shows how important these insects are.
7. The digger wasp feels _______________ that its offspring will understand the sacrifices it made for them.
8. The digger wasp wants its children to know that they were ____________.
(a) Prayed for.
9. From whom else's perspective is "Honeybees"?
(a) An owl.
(b) The queen bee.
(c) A beekeeper.
(d) Old bees.
10. How can people relate to the worker bee?
(a) Many people make honey.
(b) Many people work hard and do not feel they get their just reward.
(c) Many people work for a queen.
(d) Many people are lazy and like to lay around all day.
11. With what are the pages of the whirligig beetle's poem covered?
(a) Strong verbs describing these beetles.
(b) Vocabulary describing this beetle.
(c) Drawings of these swerving, spinning beetles.
(d) The word whirligig.
12. What else is reflected by what covers the pages of the poem?
(a) The way life must be in this habitat.
(b) The way the beetles must have to hunt to find food.
(c) The chaos this movement must create among this throng of beetles.
(d) The confusion and frustration that must be caused by this many beetles.
13. How are people like the digger wasp?
(a) People are insects.
(b) People also make sacrifices for each other.
(c) People never live to see their offspring.
(d) People have wings.
14. What about this time of year do the cicadas like?
(a) The snow.
(b) The sun.
(c) The birds.
(d) The flowers.
15. What names are used to describe the water boatmen?
(a) Downhill skiers, speed skiers, and cross-country skiers.
(b) Ballerinas, danseurs, and primadonnas.
(c) Rescuers, scuba divers, and snorklers.
(d) Boatmen, cockswain, and oarsmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the worker bee spend his days?
2. Will the digger wasp ever see its offspring?
3. Why do the two parts do this?
4. How do the two parts relate to the whirligig beetle?
5. Why might the cause of death of these insects be surprising to humans?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)