|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poet names _________________ insect species.
(a) Very similar.
(c) Very few.
(d) Many different.
2. What is the mood of "Water Boatmen?"
3. The poet creates what between the two readers in "Cicadas?"
(a) An echo.
(b) An argument.
(c) A dance.
(d) A discussion.
4. "Honeybees" is quite different from the previous poems. Why?
(a) The lives of all bees is not equal.
(b) The mood is not humorous.
(c) There are two insects in this poem.
(d) The bee is unhappy.
5. Why might the cause of death of these insects be surprising to humans?
(a) We do not often think about the importance of water.
(b) We do not often think about the importance of the first frost.
(c) We do not often think about how important the spring thaw is.
(d) We do not often think about how important the hot sun is to nature.
6. What is an important time of year in "Requiem?"
(a) Fall and the first frost.
(b) Spring and the last frost.
(c) Winter and the first snowfall.
(d) Summer and the hot sun.
7. This sense reflects the movements of the whirligig beetle where?
(a) In the trees.
(b) In the air.
(c) In the water.
(d) In the sand.
8. This poem can be described how?
(a) As musical.
(b) As annoying.
(c) As melancholy.
(d) As sad.
9. Why do the two parts do this?
(a) To give a sense of humor.
(b) To create a sense of frenzy and chaos.
(c) To give a sense of jealousy and hatred.
(d) To give a sense of determination.
10. "The Digger Wasp" is a very _________________ story.
11. According to these beetles, this ____________ way of moving is the best way to move.
(d) Round about and indirect.
12. "Water Boatmen" frequently repeats what word?
13. What else is reflected by what covers the pages of the poem?
(a) The confusion and frustration that must be caused by this many beetles.
(b) The way life must be in this habitat.
(c) The way the beetles must have to hunt to find food.
(d) The chaos this movement must create among this throng of beetles.
14. What is another mood that can be felt while reading "The Digger Wasp"?
15. How are people like the digger wasp?
(a) People have wings.
(b) People never live to see their offspring.
(c) People are insects.
(d) People also make sacrifices for each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which bee believes life is relaxing and enjoyable?
2. When read aloud by the two speakers, this poem creates a sense of what?
3. "Cicadas" is a poem that gives purpose and reason to what?
4. For what else does the digger wasp prepare?
5. How does the queen spend her days?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)