|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the lives of the two types of bees similar?
(a) They protect the hive.
(b) They lay eggs.
(c) They play their part in keeping the hive thriving.
(d) They make honey.
2. The digger wasp wants its children to know that they were ____________.
(d) Prayed for.
3. "The Digger Wasp" is a very _________________ story.
4. Water boatmen are compared to whom?
5. What else is reflected by what covers the pages of the poem?
(a) The way life must be in this habitat.
(b) The confusion and frustration that must be caused by this many beetles.
(c) The chaos this movement must create among this throng of beetles.
(d) The way the beetles must have to hunt to find food.
6. For what else does the digger wasp prepare?
(a) Its death.
(b) Additions to its family.
(c) A move to a new home.
(d) The coming of winter.
7. Will the digger wasp ever see its offspring?
(a) Yes, for several weeks.
(c) Yes, for their entire lives.
(d) Yes, but only for a short while.
8. This is the first poem to focus on what?
(a) The mortality of these insects.
(b) The life of these insects.
(c) The habitats of these insects.
(d) The personalities of these insects.
9. Upon contemplating this poem and the deaths of these insects, one becomes more aware of what?
(a) The importance of insects.
(b) The number of insect species.
(c) The power of insects.
(d) The power of nature.
10. What about this time of year do the cicadas like?
(a) The birds.
(b) The snow.
(c) The flowers.
(d) The sun.
11. How can people relate to the worker bee?
(a) Many people make honey.
(b) Many people are lazy and like to lay around all day.
(c) Many people work for a queen.
(d) Many people work hard and do not feel they get their just reward.
12. What is another reason why this word is repeated in "Water Boatmen?"
(a) It shows how trained they are at their work.
(b) It creates a lulling pattern to relax the reader.
(c) It reflects the laziness of these insects.
(d) It reflects the determination of these focused insects.
13. Where are the water boatmen headed?
(a) To the ocean.
(b) To the coral reef.
(c) To the bottom of the pond.
(d) To the opposite shore.
14. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
(a) With a male cicada.
(b) With a chorus of cicadas.
(c) With two creatures.
(d) With a single creature.
15. What tool is used by the poet to express the beetles' qualities?
(a) The unison sections of the two speakers' parts.
(b) The repetition of words in the poem.
(c) The simple language found in this poem.
(d) The overlapping of the two speakers' parts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another mood that can be felt while reading "The Digger Wasp"?
2. The poet names _________________ insect species.
3. How does the worker bee spend his days?
4. What is an important time of year in "Requiem?"
5. How long have the cicadas spent in the dark?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)