|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else is reflected by what covers the pages of the poem?
(a) The way the beetles must have to hunt to find food.
(b) The confusion and frustration that must be caused by this many beetles.
(c) The chaos this movement must create among this throng of beetles.
(d) The way life must be in this habitat.
2. "Cicadas" is a poem that gives purpose and reason to what?
(a) The birth of cicadas.
(b) The raucous noise made by cicadas in the summer.
(c) The happiness that cicadas feel.
(d) The finding of cicada exoskeletons on the ground.
3. For what else does the digger wasp prepare?
(a) Its death.
(b) Additions to its family.
(c) A move to a new home.
(d) The coming of winter.
4. What is one of the moods of "Honeybees"?
5. "Requiem" is, unlike many of the other poems in this book. How?
(a) It is very humorous.
(b) It is very confident.
(c) It is very angry.
(d) It is very solemn and serious.
6. What is another mood of "Honeybees"?
(b) Relaxed and happy.
7. What happens when the water boatmen reach their destination?
(a) They are allowed to rest.
(b) They start families.
(c) They turn around and head back to where they came from.
(d) They die.
8. Why do the two parts do this?
(a) To give a sense of humor.
(b) To give a sense of jealousy and hatred.
(c) To give a sense of determination.
(d) To create a sense of frenzy and chaos.
9. "Honeybees" is told from the perspective of whom?
(a) The worker bee.
(b) The honey.
(c) Other insects.
(d) The larvae.
10. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
(a) With a single creature.
(b) With a male cicada.
(c) With a chorus of cicadas.
(d) With two creatures.
11. This sense reflects the movements of the whirligig beetle where?
(a) In the trees.
(b) In the air.
(c) In the sand.
(d) In the water.
12. How long have the cicadas spent in the dark?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
13. How are the lives of the two types of bees similar?
(a) They make honey.
(b) They protect the hive.
(c) They play their part in keeping the hive thriving.
(d) They lay eggs.
14. For whom is "Requiem?"
(a) Those insects who have short lifespans.
(b) Those insects who die before their young are born.
(c) Those insects who were killed by the first frost of the fall.
(d) Those insects killed by people.
15. The digger wasp creates what for its children?
(a) A room.
(b) A shelter.
(c) A nest.
(d) A bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the queen spend her days?
2. Will the digger wasp ever see its offspring?
3. According to these beetles, this ____________ way of moving is the best way to move.
4. How can the lives of the two different bees in this poem be described?
5. "Water Boatmen" describes the ________________ of this insect.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)