|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Cicadas" is a poem that gives purpose and reason to what?
(a) The finding of cicada exoskeletons on the ground.
(b) The happiness that cicadas feel.
(c) The birth of cicadas.
(d) The raucous noise made by cicadas in the summer.
2. This poem pays respect to these insects when?
(a) At the time of their deaths.
(b) At the time they go through metamorphosis.
(c) At the time of their births.
(d) When they become adult insects.
3. What is one of the moods of "Honeybees"?
4. The first thing that one notices when turning the page to the poem about whirligigs is what?
(a) The art work.
(b) The parts of the two speakers.
(c) The title of the poem.
(d) The vocabulary in the poem.
5. For much of human history the largest group within a culture was the __________.
6. What is an important time of year in "Requiem?"
(a) Fall and the first frost.
(b) Winter and the first snowfall.
(c) Summer and the hot sun.
(d) Spring and the last frost.
7. How can people relate to the worker bee?
(a) Many people are lazy and like to lay around all day.
(b) Many people make honey.
(c) Many people work for a queen.
(d) Many people work hard and do not feel they get their just reward.
8. "Requiem" is a _______________.
(d) Persuasive speech.
9. According to these beetles, this ____________ way of moving is the best way to move.
(c) Round about and indirect.
10. The two parts of the poem frequently do what?
(d) Tell jokes.
11. How are the lives of the two types of bees similar?
(a) They make honey.
(b) They play their part in keeping the hive thriving.
(c) They lay eggs.
(d) They protect the hive.
12. For whom is "Requiem?"
(a) Those insects who die before their young are born.
(b) Those insects killed by people.
(c) Those insects who were killed by the first frost of the fall.
(d) Those insects who have short lifespans.
13. How long have the cicadas spent in the dark?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
14. "Honeybees" is quite different from the previous poems. Why?
(a) The lives of all bees is not equal.
(b) The bee is unhappy.
(c) There are two insects in this poem.
(d) The mood is not humorous.
15. What does the digger wasp hope to do for its offspring?
(a) Make them happy.
(b) Make life easier.
(c) Make them jealous of it.
(d) Make life more exciting.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Digger Wasp" tells of the life of a digger wasp as it prepares for what?
2. The digger wasp creates what for its children?
3. What else does the digger wasp prepare for its children?
4. Water boatmen are compared to whom?
5. This group of people slaved away for the small _____________ population who controlled the country.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)