|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Digger Wasp" is a very _________________ story.
2. For whom is "Requiem?"
(a) Those insects who die before their young are born.
(b) Those insects who were killed by the first frost of the fall.
(c) Those insects killed by people.
(d) Those insects who have short lifespans.
3. What is the mood of "Water Boatmen?"
4. Which bee believes life is relaxing and enjoyable?
(a) The worker bee.
(b) The bumble bee.
(c) The sweat bee.
(d) The queen bee.
5. "Water Boatmen" describes the ________________ of this insect.
(b) Effort and determination.
(d) Calm and happy personality.
6. How are the lives of the two types of bees similar?
(a) They make honey.
(b) They play their part in keeping the hive thriving.
(c) They protect the hive.
(d) They lay eggs.
7. What happens when the water boatmen reach their destination?
(a) They die.
(b) They start families.
(c) They are allowed to rest.
(d) They turn around and head back to where they came from.
8. For much of human history the largest group within a culture was the __________.
9. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
(a) With two creatures.
(b) With a male cicada.
(c) With a single creature.
(d) With a chorus of cicadas.
10. "Whirligig Beetles" describes ____________ of these beetles.
(a) The morning routine.
(b) Short life.
(c) The evening routine.
(d) The daily actions.
11. Will the digger wasp ever see its offspring?
(a) Yes, for their entire lives.
(c) Yes, but only for a short while.
(d) Yes, for several weeks.
12. How does the queen spend her days?
(a) Flying around the hive looking for a mate.
(b) Slaving away to provide for the hive.
(c) Lounging around or laying eggs.
(d) Eating bonbons and watching movies.
13. This sense reflects the movements of the whirligig beetle where?
(a) In the trees.
(b) In the sand.
(c) In the water.
(d) In the air.
14. A great deal of imagery and expressive vocabulary is also used to describe the ____________ movements of these beetles.
15. How long have the cicadas spent in the dark?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Honeybees" is told from the perspective of whom?
2. When read aloud by the two speakers, this poem creates a sense of what?
3. This poem can be described how?
4. What tool is used by the poet to express the beetles' qualities?
5. The digger wasp feels _______________ that its offspring will understand the sacrifices it made for them.
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)