|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the water boatmen and the digger wasp have in common?
(c) They can fly.
(d) They can swim.
2. "Water Boatmen" describes the ________________ of this insect.
(a) Effort and determination.
(c) Calm and happy personality.
3. A great deal of imagery and expressive vocabulary is also used to describe the ____________ movements of these beetles.
4. "Cicadas" is a poem that gives purpose and reason to what?
(a) The happiness that cicadas feel.
(b) The birth of cicadas.
(c) The finding of cicada exoskeletons on the ground.
(d) The raucous noise made by cicadas in the summer.
5. What tool is used by the poet to express the beetles' qualities?
(a) The simple language found in this poem.
(b) The repetition of words in the poem.
(c) The unison sections of the two speakers' parts.
(d) The overlapping of the two speakers' parts.
6. What is another mood that can be felt while reading "The Digger Wasp"?
7. Which bee believes life is relaxing and enjoyable?
(a) The sweat bee.
(b) The worker bee.
(c) The queen bee.
(d) The bumble bee.
8. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
(a) With a chorus of cicadas.
(b) With a male cicada.
(c) With two creatures.
(d) With a single creature.
9. How does the queen spend her days?
(a) Lounging around or laying eggs.
(b) Flying around the hive looking for a mate.
(c) Eating bonbons and watching movies.
(d) Slaving away to provide for the hive.
10. What are three words used to describe the whirligig beetle's movements?
(a) Straight as a pencil, a line, sharp.
(b) Merry-go-rounds, swerving, wheeling.
(c) Zigzag, lightning, jagged.
(d) Slow, languid, lazy.
11. Why might the cause of death of these insects be surprising to humans?
(a) We do not often think about the importance of water.
(b) We do not often think about the importance of the first frost.
(c) We do not often think about how important the hot sun is to nature.
(d) We do not often think about how important the spring thaw is.
12. When read aloud by the two speakers, this poem creates a sense of what?
(a) Anger and hostility.
(b) Happiness and contentedness.
(c) Peace and quiet.
(d) Chaos and nervous energy.
13. Where are the water boatmen headed?
(a) To the opposite shore.
(b) To the bottom of the pond.
(c) To the coral reef.
(d) To the ocean.
14. Can many people relate to the queen bee? Why or why not?
(a) Most people cannot relate to her because they have to work hard to provide for themselves and their families.
(b) Most people can relate to her because they are wealthy.
(c) Most people can relate to her because they are lazy and do not work.
(d) Most people can relate to her because they are royalty.
15. What is the mood of "Water Boatmen?"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to these beetles, this ____________ way of moving is the best way to move.
2. What covers the pages of this poem reflect what?
3. What is one of the moods of "Honeybees"?
4. What is another reason why this word is repeated in "Water Boatmen?"
5. How are people like the water boatmen?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)