|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about this time of year do the cicadas like?
(a) The sun.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The snow.
(d) The birds.
2. What is another mood of "Honeybees"?
(d) Relaxed and happy.
3. What does the digger wasp hope to do for its offspring?
(a) Make them jealous of it.
(b) Make life easier.
(c) Make life more exciting.
(d) Make them happy.
4. How are people like the water boatmen?
(a) People often work hard for a chance at a vacation or break.
(b) Most people like to swim.
(c) Most people own boats.
(d) People are also called oarsmen.
5. What is another reason why this word is repeated in "Water Boatmen?"
(a) It shows how trained they are at their work.
(b) It reflects the determination of these focused insects.
(c) It creates a lulling pattern to relax the reader.
(d) It reflects the laziness of these insects.
6. The two parts of the poem frequently do what?
(b) Tell jokes.
7. The sound of cicadas singing begins how?
(a) With a chorus of cicadas.
(b) With a single creature.
(c) With a male cicada.
(d) With two creatures.
8. What is an important time of year in "Requiem?"
(a) Spring and the last frost.
(b) Winter and the first snowfall.
(c) Summer and the hot sun.
(d) Fall and the first frost.
9. From where are the cicadas coming?
(a) Out of the ground.
(b) Out of cocoons.
(c) Out of the trees.
(d) Out of caves.
10. The digger wasp creates what for its children?
(a) A bed.
(b) A nest.
(c) A shelter.
(d) A room.
11. What names are used to describe the water boatmen?
(a) Boatmen, cockswain, and oarsmen.
(b) Ballerinas, danseurs, and primadonnas.
(c) Downhill skiers, speed skiers, and cross-country skiers.
(d) Rescuers, scuba divers, and snorklers.
12. Upon contemplating this poem and the deaths of these insects, one becomes more aware of what?
(a) The importance of insects.
(b) The number of insect species.
(c) The power of nature.
(d) The power of insects.
13. What is the mood of "Water Boatmen?"
14. This poem pays respect to these insects when?
(a) At the time of their deaths.
(b) At the time of their births.
(c) When they become adult insects.
(d) At the time they go through metamorphosis.
15. Water boatmen are compared to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which bee believes life is relaxing and enjoyable?
2. How do the two parts relate to the whirligig beetle?
3. How are people like the digger wasp?
4. What is another mood that can be felt while reading "The Digger Wasp"?
5. What covers the pages of this poem reflect what?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)