|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated in Section 3, how is Robinson similar to Bardamu?
(a) They both wish to flee the war
(b) They both have the same color eyes
(c) They both come from the same hometown
(d) They both long to die in battle for their country
2. What event is about to happen in world history, across Europe at the beginning of the book?
(a) The Korean War
(b) The Second World War
(c) The Black Death
(d) The First World War
3. What public occasion does Bardamu see passing his window?
(a) A baptism
(b) A carnival
(c) A fete
(d) A march
4. What does Bardamu think he is going to find in America?
(a) There are poor people there, too
(b) Everyone there is rich
(c) Everyone there is beautiful
(d) Everyone there adheres to one religion
5. Why is Bardamu's and Musyne's relationship complicated and difficult?
(a) Because Musyne never had any money
(b) Because Musyne was really a German spy
(c) Because of Musyne's infidelities with the military officers
(d) Because Robinson often got in the way
Short Answer Questions
1. What family do Bardamu and the individual he starts hanging around with in Section 7 go to see?
2. Who does Bardamu start to hang around with in Section 7?
3. Where does Lola come from?
4. Where does Bardamu wake up after his illness in Section 11?
5. What town is Bardamu sent to investigate in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Bardamu realize he has been swindled in Section 11?
2. Who is the man at the last trading hut before the jungle?
3. What does Bardamu think is the interesting quality of the Manhattan Banks?
4. What does Bardamu find so calculating and ruthless about the Director?
5. What does Bardamu decide is strange - yet respectful - about Sergeant Alcide?
6. What is Voireuse's scheme for getting money?
7. Why does Bardamu set fire to his trading hut in Section 10?
8. What does Bardamu think about the Germans during the First World War?
9. What is the best description of the main character's personality?
10. Who is Musyne, and why does her relationship with Bardamu fail to work?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)