|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling comes over H.H. when he is about to greet the bare-headed man?
2. Who does H.H. say is the whistler?
3. In Part III, what does H.H. say is similar to when he first started on his expedition?
4. What does the man H.H. follows say about the League?
5. How does H.H. feel when he answers the person he is following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
2. What sentiments does H.H. express about psychologist in Part III?
3. What does H.H. say of the friendship he is seeking with the person he has been speaking to in Part IV?
4. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
5. How does H.H. describe the person who comes out of the building he watches in Part IV?
6. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
7. What affect does H.H.'s "happy memory" in Part III have on him?
8. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
9. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
10. What is H.H.'s reaction to the possibility of finding Leo in Part III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. compares himself to historians trying to record events. How does he describe the episode he wishes to record? How does he choose to record his events? What difficulties does he encounter when he tries to recall his story?
Essay Topic 2
In Part I, the narrator suggests the reader cannot really comprehend his story. What reasons does he give? Who does he agree with and what is said that he finds to be true? Who are the only ones he thinks can believe or understand his tale? Do you agree with H.H.'s beliefs and concerns about the reader's ability to understand? Explain your answer and include if you have ever had difficulty understanding a book due to lack of experience contained in the topic.
Essay Topic 3
As Part V opens, Leo is sent from the League to bring H.H. to the High Throne. What is validated for H.H. by Leo's appearance and why does this matter to H.H.? What is Leo doing as they journey to the High Throne and why do you think he is behaving as he is? Describe the varying emotions experienced by H.H. as he follows Leo to their destination.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)