|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. say he used to be?
2. What does Lukas and H.H. find in a thick book?
3. Who joins H.H. as he listens to the whistling?
4. What does H.H. say happens to several of the journey leaders?
5. What does H.H. do as the man he follows walks away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sentiments does H.H. express about psychologist in Part III?
2. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
3. Why is Lukas able to succeed with his story while H.H. fails in Part III?
4. What experiences do Lukas and H.H. share in Part III?
5. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
6. What affect does H.H.'s "happy memory" in Part III have on him?
7. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
8. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
9. What does H.H. do as the person who exits the building passes by him in Part IV?
10. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 2
After his encounter with Leo, H.H. says he felt foolish and lost, and that he wished to die.How does H.H. describe death? Has the meaning of death changed for him? Compare what he says about death. What helps him overcome his desire to die?
Essay Topic 3
Part III opens with H.H. speaking of a "difficulty" he cannot find a solution to. What does he vow he will do? What challenges confront him? How does he hope to overcome his problem in order to approach his goal?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)