|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What overcomes H.H. as he and the man he follows continue to converse?
2. What does Lukas believe is man's strongest hunger?
3. What or who does the person say a violin reminds him of?
4. How does H.H. react to the whistling he hears in Part IV?
5. What do Lukas and his friends wonder about H.H. and his group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the person's impression of H.H. as they converse in the park in part IV?
2. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
3. What is H.H.'s reaction to the possibility of finding Leo in Part III?
4. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
5. In Part IV what does the person say when H.H. pleads for recognition?
6. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
7. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
8. How does H.H. say he intends to "exercise his will" in Part III?
9. How do people not on the journey get news of the League journey?
10. How does H.H. describe the person who comes out of the building he watches in Part IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part III, H.H. visits his friend Lukas who has written a book about the World War. What does H.H. wish to gain from the meeting? What is Lukas' original reaction to H.H.'s request? How does Lukas opinion change later in Part III?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. compares himself to historians trying to record events. How does he describe the episode he wishes to record? How does he choose to record his events? What difficulties does he encounter when he tries to recall his story?
Essay Topic 3
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)