|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person H.H. followed say to H.H.?
2. What does Lukas say H.H. keeps coming back to?
3. How does H.H. describe the whistling he hears as Part IV opens?
4. What feeling comes over H.H. when he is about to greet the bare-headed man?
5. In Part III, how does H.H. say he first approaches his goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. compares himself to historians trying to record events. How does he describe the episode he wishes to record? How does he choose to record his events? What difficulties does he encounter when he tries to recall his story?
Essay Topic 2
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In Part II many objects are listed as "irreplaceable" by H.H., such as passports and letters of credit. One stands out as the most important item. What is it and what significance does it seem to have? Where are some of the places the group believe this items is? What do you think the item represents to the men on the journey?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)