|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How longs does H.H. say it has been since he saw the traveler who disappeared on the journey east?
2. What does H.H. realize he is really trying to do when Part III ends?
3. What does H.H. tell Lukas his current passion is in Part III?
4. What does H.H. feel he has lost at the end of his walk with the man?
5. What overcomes H.H. as he and the man he follows continue to converse?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part IV, how does H.H. feel as he and the person he has been speaking with part ways?
2. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
3. What is H.H.'s reaction to the possibility of finding Leo in Part III?
4. What does H.H. say of the friendship he is seeking with the person he has been speaking to in Part IV?
5. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
6. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
7. Why is Lukas able to succeed with his story while H.H. fails in Part III?
8. What does H.H. do as the person who exits the building passes by him in Part IV?
9. In Part IV what does the person say when H.H. pleads for recognition?
10. How do people not on the journey get news of the League journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part III, H.H. visits his friend Lukas who has written a book about the World War. What does H.H. wish to gain from the meeting? What is Lukas' original reaction to H.H.'s request? How does Lukas opinion change later in Part III?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Part I, the narrator says he has not seen any existence of the League for a long time, nor any of its members. What reason does he give for this later in Part I? What does he say happens to those who leave the League? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)