|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lukas and H.H. find in a thick book?
2. At the beginning of Part IV, how many times has H.H. been to Seilergraben?
3. What does H.H. say Lukas is known for?
4. What happens after H.H. makes his vow when Part III begins?
5. What does the person think about H.H.?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
2. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
3. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
4. What does H.H. say of the friendship he is seeking with the person he has been speaking to in Part IV?
5. What sentiments does H.H. express about psychologist in Part III?
6. In Part IV, how does H.H. feel as he and the person he has been speaking with part ways?
7. What is H.H.'s reaction to the possibility of finding Leo in Part III?
8. What affect does H.H.'s "happy memory" in Part III have on him?
9. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
10. How do people not on the journey get news of the League journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After his encounter with Leo, H.H. says he felt foolish and lost, and that he wished to die.How does H.H. describe death? Has the meaning of death changed for him? Compare what he says about death. What helps him overcome his desire to die?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 3
In Part II many objects are listed as "irreplaceable" by H.H., such as passports and letters of credit. One stands out as the most important item. What is it and what significance does it seem to have? Where are some of the places the group believe this items is? What do you think the item represents to the men on the journey?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)