|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concern does the person H.H. follows express about him?
2. What does Lukas believe cannot be conveyed to even the most serious?
3. What or who does the man summon with his whistle?
4. What is H.H.'s relationship to Lukas?
5. What does the man H.H. follows say about the League?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what H.H. says happens to the journey in Part III.
2. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
3. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
4. What does H.H. say of the friendship he is seeking with the person he has been speaking to in Part IV?
5. What is H.H.'s reaction to the possibility of finding Leo in Part III?
6. Why is Lukas able to succeed with his story while H.H. fails in Part III?
7. How does H.H. say he intends to "exercise his will" in Part III?
8. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
9. How does H.H. describe the person who comes out of the building he watches in Part IV?
10. In Part IV, what relationship does the person H.H. has been talking to have with Necker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
H.H. sees Leo on Seilergraben and recognizes him. Why do you think it takes him so long to approach Leo? What does H.H. do before making himself known to Leo? How does Leo behave? Explain why you think Leo acts the way he does.
Essay Topic 3
Lukas makes comparisons between his experiences in the World War and H.H.'s experiences on his journey. What comparisons does he make? What does Lukas say about any attempts to write down personal experiences? Do you agree with Lukas? Compare and contrast what H.H. says about his experiences in trying to write his memoirs and what Lukas says about writing. Why do you think Lukas was able to succeed when H.H. cannot?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)