|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lukas and his friends wonder about H.H. and his group?
2. What does H.H. do as the man he follows walks away?
3. As Part III opens, what is H.H. trying to find his way through?
4. What does Lukas believe is man's strongest hunger?
5. What concern does the person H.H. follows express about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when H.H. approaches the person he has followed to a park in Part IV?
2. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
3. How does H.H. describe the person who comes out of the building he watches in Part IV?
4. How do people not on the journey get news of the League journey?
5. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
6. What does H.H. say of the friendship he is seeking with the person he has been speaking to in Part IV?
7. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
8. In Part IV, how does H.H. feel as he and the person he has been speaking with part ways?
9. Explain what H.H. says happens to the journey in Part III.
10. Why is Lukas able to succeed with his story while H.H. fails in Part III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lukas makes comparisons between his experiences in the World War and H.H.'s experiences on his journey. What comparisons does he make? What does Lukas say about any attempts to write down personal experiences? Do you agree with Lukas? Compare and contrast what H.H. says about his experiences in trying to write his memoirs and what Lukas says about writing. Why do you think Lukas was able to succeed when H.H. cannot?
Essay Topic 2
Early in Part III, Leo wants to end his meeting with H.H. after a brief conversation, but H.H. persists in following him. What does H.H. want from Leo? What is Leo's response? How does Leo try to calm H.H.? Explain why you think Leo is not able to recognize H.H. Include in your explanation an analysis of what is said in Part I about what happens to deserters of the League.
Essay Topic 3
H.H. sits down and writes a long letter after he gets home from his conversation with Leo. Who does he write the letter to? What does he say in the letter? How does he feel immediately after he has written this letter?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)