|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. feel he has lost at the end of his walk with the man?
2. What does Lukas suddenly do after describing his experiences?
3. What is H.H.'s relationship to Lukas?
4. How does H.H. say he will approach his task in Part III?
5. What does H.H. see the person he follows do in Part IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sentiments does H.H. express about psychologist in Part III?
2. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
3. How does H.H. describe the person who comes out of the building he watches in Part IV?
4. Explain what H.H. says happens to the journey in Part III.
5. In Part IV what does the person say when H.H. pleads for recognition?
6. In Part IV, what relationship does the person H.H. has been talking to have with Necker?
7. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
8. What does H.H. do as the person who exits the building passes by him in Part IV?
9. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
10. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The members of H.H.'s group suffer a terrible loss on their journey east. What is this loss? How does it effect the group? Why do you think the group reacts as they do?
Essay Topic 2
As the story ends, H.H. is interrupted in his task at the archives and told the League is going to place a judgment on him. What is revealed to him about the President? What is the judgment on H.H., and how does it help explain episodes that occurred in Parts III and IV concerning Leo and the League? Do you think H.H.'s trial and judgment are an allegory of life? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)