|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. say happens to several of the journey leaders?
2. What happens after H.H. makes his vow when Part III begins?
3. What does H.H. describe as hallucinations?
4. How does H.H. feel when he answers the person he is following?
5. How does H.H. say he will approach his task in Part III?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part IV what does the person say when H.H. pleads for recognition?
2. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
3. How does H.H. describe the person who comes out of the building he watches in Part IV?
4. What does H.H. do as the person who exits the building passes by him in Part IV?
5. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
6. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
7. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
8. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
9. What experiences do Lukas and H.H. share in Part III?
10. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part III opens with H.H. speaking of a "difficulty" he cannot find a solution to. What does he vow he will do? What challenges confront him? How does he hope to overcome his problem in order to approach his goal?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 3
H.H. sees Leo on Seilergraben and recognizes him. Why do you think it takes him so long to approach Leo? What does H.H. do before making himself known to Leo? How does Leo behave? Explain why you think Leo acts the way he does.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)