|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. believe is necessary to be able to write?
2. What does H.H. realize he is really trying to do when Part III ends?
3. Who joins H.H. as he listens to the whistling?
4. What does H.H. tell Lukas about the League?
5. What does Lukas believe is man's strongest hunger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what H.H. says happens to the journey in Part III.
2. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
3. What affect does H.H.'s "happy memory" in Part III have on him?
4. In Part IV what does the person say when H.H. pleads for recognition?
5. In Part IV, what relationship does the person H.H. has been talking to have with Necker?
6. What is H.H.'s reaction to the possibility of finding Leo in Part III?
7. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
8. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
9. What happens when H.H. approaches the person he has followed to a park in Part IV?
10. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. sees Leo on Seilergraben and recognizes him. Why do you think it takes him so long to approach Leo? What does H.H. do before making himself known to Leo? How does Leo behave? Explain why you think Leo acts the way he does.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator speaks to Leo about the artist encountered in Part I and asks why they seem so alive. How does Leo react to the question? What does Leo give as his answer? What opinion does the narrator form about Leo after this encounter? Analyze H.H.'s reaction and include why you believe he did not recognize Leo's wisdom before this encounter.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)