|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. see the person he follows do in Part IV?
2. What does H.H. say is stronger than reality?
3. Who joins H.H. as he listens to the whistling?
4. What do Lukas and his friends wonder about H.H. and his group?
5. What does H.H. ask of the man he follows?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
2. What happens when H.H. approaches the person he has followed to a park in Part IV?
3. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
4. In Part IV, what relationship does the person H.H. has been talking to have with Necker?
5. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
6. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
7. What does H.H. do as the person who exits the building passes by him in Part IV?
8. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
9. What affect does H.H.'s "happy memory" in Part III have on him?
10. What is the person's impression of H.H. as they converse in the park in part IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the story ends, H.H. is interrupted in his task at the archives and told the League is going to place a judgment on him. What is revealed to him about the President? What is the judgment on H.H., and how does it help explain episodes that occurred in Parts III and IV concerning Leo and the League? Do you think H.H.'s trial and judgment are an allegory of life? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator speaks to Leo about the artist encountered in Part I and asks why they seem so alive. How does Leo react to the question? What does Leo give as his answer? What opinion does the narrator form about Leo after this encounter? Analyze H.H.'s reaction and include why you believe he did not recognize Leo's wisdom before this encounter.
Essay Topic 3
Lukas makes comparisons between his experiences in the World War and H.H.'s experiences on his journey. What comparisons does he make? What does Lukas say about any attempts to write down personal experiences? Do you agree with Lukas? Compare and contrast what H.H. says about his experiences in trying to write his memoirs and what Lukas says about writing. Why do you think Lukas was able to succeed when H.H. cannot?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)