|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lukas and H.H. find in a thick book?
2. What does H.H realize about the whistling he hears?
3. What does H.H. do as the man he follows walks away?
4. What or who does the man summon with his whistle?
5. What does the man H.H. follows tell him about life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect does H.H.'s "happy memory" in Part III have on him?
2. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
3. In Part IV, what relationship does the person H.H. has been talking to have with Necker?
4. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
5. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
6. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
7. What is the person's impression of H.H. as they converse in the park in part IV?
8. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
9. What experiences do Lukas and H.H. share in Part III?
10. As Part IV opens, how does H.H. respond to whistling he hears from a house where Leo might live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After his encounter with Leo, H.H. says he felt foolish and lost, and that he wished to die.How does H.H. describe death? Has the meaning of death changed for him? Compare what he says about death. What helps him overcome his desire to die?
Essay Topic 2
In Part III, H.H. visits his friend Lukas who has written a book about the World War. What does H.H. wish to gain from the meeting? What is Lukas' original reaction to H.H.'s request? How does Lukas opinion change later in Part III?
Essay Topic 3
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)