|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. says happens when he examines things too closely?
2. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say is the only important thing in his life?
4. In Part II, what does H.H. say most historians want to do?
5. What does H.H. say his belief is susceptible to in Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
2. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
3. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
4. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
5. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
6. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
7. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
8. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
9. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
10. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lukas makes comparisons between his experiences in the World War and H.H.'s experiences on his journey. What comparisons does he make? What does Lukas say about any attempts to write down personal experiences? Do you agree with Lukas? Compare and contrast what H.H. says about his experiences in trying to write his memoirs and what Lukas says about writing. Why do you think Lukas was able to succeed when H.H. cannot?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. sits down and writes a long letter after he gets home from his conversation with Leo. Who does he write the letter to? What does he say in the letter? How does he feel immediately after he has written this letter?
Essay Topic 3
The members of H.H.'s group suffer a terrible loss on their journey east. What is this loss? How does it effect the group? Why do you think the group reacts as they do?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)