|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to H.H., what must the historian do to allow meaning into a narrative?
2. In Part II, another person on the journey claims what about certain writings?
3. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
4. In Part II, what does H.H. say is very difficult for him to do?
5. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
2. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
3. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
4. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
7. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
8. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
9. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
10. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. says everything is at stake for him and his whole future life will be decided by the High Throne. What effect does he believe the High Throne's decision could have on his past? Why does he give so much importance to the High Throne's opinion? Do you think it will impact his goal to write his memoirs? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In Part I, the narrator suggests the reader cannot really comprehend his story. What reasons does he give? Who does he agree with and what is said that he finds to be true? Who are the only ones he thinks can believe or understand his tale? Do you agree with H.H.'s beliefs and concerns about the reader's ability to understand? Explain your answer and include if you have ever had difficulty understanding a book due to lack of experience contained in the topic.
Essay Topic 3
As Part V opens, Leo is sent from the League to bring H.H. to the High Throne. What is validated for H.H. by Leo's appearance and why does this matter to H.H.? What is Leo doing as they journey to the High Throne and why do you think he is behaving as he is? Describe the varying emotions experienced by H.H. as he follows Leo to their destination.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)