|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
2. Where does the group think they will go after they see the Goblin?
3. What does the deserter wish to do some time later?
4. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
5. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
3. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
4. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
7. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
8. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
9. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
10. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in Part III, Leo wants to end his meeting with H.H. after a brief conversation, but H.H. persists in following him. What does H.H. want from Leo? What is Leo's response? How does Leo try to calm H.H.? Explain why you think Leo is not able to recognize H.H. Include in your explanation an analysis of what is said in Part I about what happens to deserters of the League.
Essay Topic 2
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator speaks to Leo about the artist encountered in Part I and asks why they seem so alive. How does Leo react to the question? What does Leo give as his answer? What opinion does the narrator form about Leo after this encounter? Analyze H.H.'s reaction and include why you believe he did not recognize Leo's wisdom before this encounter.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)