|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to H.H., what must the historian do to allow meaning into a narrative?
2. What is the first amazing phenomenon the narrator sees in Part I's journey?
3. Who preserves the memory of Hohenstaufen?
4. What or who does H.H. wish to save in Part II?
5. What is the narrator's life-goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
2. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
3. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
4. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
5. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
6. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
7. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
8. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
9. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
10. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part II many objects are listed as "irreplaceable" by H.H., such as passports and letters of credit. One stands out as the most important item. What is it and what significance does it seem to have? Where are some of the places the group believe this items is? What do you think the item represents to the men on the journey?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. sees Leo on Seilergraben and recognizes him. Why do you think it takes him so long to approach Leo? What does H.H. do before making himself known to Leo? How does Leo behave? Explain why you think Leo acts the way he does.
Essay Topic 3
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)