Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part II, how does H.H. say the character's disappearance came about?
2. What happens to H.H.'s first attempt to tell his story?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
4. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
5. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of what happens when the League President appears to judge H.H. in Part V.
2. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
4. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
7. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
8. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
9. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
The narrator says in Part I that generations try to suppress what previous generations have done. What does he say generations will recall about horrible things they endured? What does he seem to be referring to? Is there a particular character he might be speaking of? If so, who and why?
In Part II many objects are listed as "irreplaceable" by H.H., such as passports and letters of credit. One stands out as the most important item. What is it and what significance does it seem to have? Where are some of the places the group believe this items is? What do you think the item represents to the men on the journey?
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)