|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is H.H.'s hope as Part II ends?
2. What leads to heated arguments within the group at the beginning of Part II?
3. How does the narrator describe the times early in Part I?
4. Where do many of the journey members believe League documents are deposited?
5. Who preserves the memory of Hohenstaufen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the person's impression of H.H. as they converse in the park in part IV?
2. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
3. Give a brief description of what happens when the League President appears to judge H.H. in Part V.
4. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
5. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
6. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
7. How does H.H. describe the person who comes out of the building he watches in Part IV?
8. What experiences do Lukas and H.H. share in Part III?
9. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
10. In Part V, what does H.H. say he has felt about the League until this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part III, H.H. visits his friend Lukas who has written a book about the World War. What does H.H. wish to gain from the meeting? What is Lukas' original reaction to H.H.'s request? How does Lukas opinion change later in Part III?
Essay Topic 2
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator says in Part I that generations try to suppress what previous generations have done. What does he say generations will recall about horrible things they endured? What does he seem to be referring to? Is there a particular character he might be speaking of? If so, who and why?
This section contains 2,013 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)