|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year does H.H. recall in Part II?
2. What does everyone agree on about a particular document in Part II?
3. In Part I, what does the narrator say the conquered nations are ready to believe in?
4. What does H.H. believe is the most memorable event in Part II?
5. According to H.H. what is new to the group in Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
2. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
3. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
4. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
5. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
6. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
7. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
8. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
9. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
10. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. sees Leo on Seilergraben and recognizes him. Why do you think it takes him so long to approach Leo? What does H.H. do before making himself known to Leo? How does Leo behave? Explain why you think Leo acts the way he does.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator says in Part I that generations try to suppress what previous generations have done. What does he say generations will recall about horrible things they endured? What does he seem to be referring to? Is there a particular character he might be speaking of? If so, who and why?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)