|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first amazing phenomenon the narrator sees in Part I's journey?
2. Who or what does H.H. say is the basis of his community in Part II?
3. What or who does H.H. say historical events happen to?
4. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
5. In Part I, who or what does the narrator meet at the riverside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
2. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
3. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
4. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
5. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
6. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
7. What is Morbio Inferiore?
8. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
9. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
10. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the story ends, H.H. is interrupted in his task at the archives and told the League is going to place a judgment on him. What is revealed to him about the President? What is the judgment on H.H., and how does it help explain episodes that occurred in Parts III and IV concerning Leo and the League? Do you think H.H.'s trial and judgment are an allegory of life? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
H.H. sits down and writes a long letter after he gets home from his conversation with Leo. Who does he write the letter to? What does he say in the letter? How does he feel immediately after he has written this letter?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator speaks to Leo about the artist encountered in Part I and asks why they seem so alive. How does Leo react to the question? What does Leo give as his answer? What opinion does the narrator form about Leo after this encounter? Analyze H.H.'s reaction and include why you believe he did not recognize Leo's wisdom before this encounter.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)