Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part II, how does H.H. say the character's disappearance came about?
2. What happens to H.H.'s first attempt to tell his story?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
4. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
5. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of what happens when the League President appears to judge H.H. in Part V.
2. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
4. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
7. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
8. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
9. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
Essay Topic 1
H.H. says everything is at stake for him and his whole future life will be decided by the High Throne. What effect does he believe the High Throne's decision could have on his past? Why does he give so much importance to the High Throne's opinion? Do you think it will impact his goal to write his memoirs? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
H.H. compares himself to historians trying to record events. How does he describe the episode he wishes to record? How does he choose to record his events? What difficulties does he encounter when he tries to recall his story?
Essay Topic 3
The members of H.H.'s group suffer a terrible loss on their journey east. What is this loss? How does it effect the group? Why do you think the group reacts as they do?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)