|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or who does H.H. wish to save in Part II?
2. What happens to H.H.'s first attempt to tell his story?
3. What does H.H. say his belief is susceptible to in Part II?
4. Where does the group camp as Part II begins?
5. What do the officials instruct the narrator to do once he is a member of the League?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
2. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
3. What is Morbio Inferiore?
4. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
5. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
6. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
7. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
8. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
9. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
10. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. compares himself to historians trying to record events. How does he describe the episode he wishes to record? How does he choose to record his events? What difficulties does he encounter when he tries to recall his story?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator says in Part I that generations try to suppress what previous generations have done. What does he say generations will recall about horrible things they endured? What does he seem to be referring to? Is there a particular character he might be speaking of? If so, who and why?
Essay Topic 3
After his encounter with Leo, H.H. says he felt foolish and lost, and that he wished to die.How does H.H. describe death? Has the meaning of death changed for him? Compare what he says about death. What helps him overcome his desire to die?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)