|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part II, who or what else is missing?
2. In Part I, what does the narrator say the conquered nations are ready to believe in?
3. In Part I, what does the narrator believe is his great fortune?
4. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
5. In Part II, another person on the journey claims what about certain writings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
2. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
3. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
4. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
5. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
6. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
7. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
8. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
9. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
10. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 2
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)