|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
2. How does H.H. describe his demeanor in Part II?
3. How far has the journey traveled as Part II begins?
4. What or who does H.H. wish to save in Part II?
5. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Morbio Inferiore?
2. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
3. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
4. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
5. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
6. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
7. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
8. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
9. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
10. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. says everything is at stake for him and his whole future life will be decided by the High Throne. What effect does he believe the High Throne's decision could have on his past? Why does he give so much importance to the High Throne's opinion? Do you think it will impact his goal to write his memoirs? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
H.H. compares himself to historians trying to record events. How does he describe the episode he wishes to record? How does he choose to record his events? What difficulties does he encounter when he tries to recall his story?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator speaks to Leo about the artist encountered in Part I and asks why they seem so alive. How does Leo react to the question? What does Leo give as his answer? What opinion does the narrator form about Leo after this encounter? Analyze H.H.'s reaction and include why you believe he did not recognize Leo's wisdom before this encounter.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)