Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part II, how does H.H. say the character's disappearance came about?
2. What happens to H.H.'s first attempt to tell his story?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
4. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
5. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of what happens when the League President appears to judge H.H. in Part V.
2. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
4. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
7. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
8. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
9. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
H.H. says everything is at stake for him and his whole future life will be decided by the High Throne. What effect does he believe the High Throne's decision could have on his past? Why does he give so much importance to the High Throne's opinion? Do you think it will impact his goal to write his memoirs? Explain.
After his encounter with Leo, H.H. says he felt foolish and lost, and that he wished to die.How does H.H. describe death? Has the meaning of death changed for him? Compare what he says about death. What helps him overcome his desire to die?
In Part III, H.H. visits his friend Lukas who has written a book about the World War. What does H.H. wish to gain from the meeting? What is Lukas' original reaction to H.H.'s request? How does Lukas opinion change later in Part III?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)