|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do at the end of his probation year in the League?
2. Where does the group camp as Part II begins?
3. What or who does H.H. wish to save in Part II?
4. What is the first amazing phenomenon the narrator sees in Part I's journey?
5. What happens to H.H.'s first attempt to tell his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
3. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
4. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. What is Morbio Inferiore?
7. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
8. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
9. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
10. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part III opens with H.H. speaking of a "difficulty" he cannot find a solution to. What does he vow he will do? What challenges confront him? How does he hope to overcome his problem in order to approach his goal?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator says in Part I that generations try to suppress what previous generations have done. What does he say generations will recall about horrible things they endured? What does he seem to be referring to? Is there a particular character he might be speaking of? If so, who and why?
Essay Topic 3
H.H. says everything is at stake for him and his whole future life will be decided by the High Throne. What effect does he believe the High Throne's decision could have on his past? Why does he give so much importance to the High Throne's opinion? Do you think it will impact his goal to write his memoirs? Explain.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)