|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part II, how does H.H. say the character's disappearance came about?
2. What happens to H.H.'s first attempt to tell his story?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
4. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
5. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of what happens when the League President appears to judge H.H. in Part V.
2. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
4. What does H.H.'s friend Lukas do for a living?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. What is H.H. thinking and feeling as Part III opens?
7. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
8. What does H.H. do after returning home at the end of Part IV?
9. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Part I, the narrator says he has not seen any existence of the League for a long time, nor any of its members. What reason does he give for this later in Part I? What does he say happens to those who leave the League? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
H.H. says everything is at stake for him and his whole future life will be decided by the High Throne. What effect does he believe the High Throne's decision could have on his past? Why does he give so much importance to the High Throne's opinion? Do you think it will impact his goal to write his memoirs? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Lukas makes comparisons between his experiences in the World War and H.H.'s experiences on his journey. What comparisons does he make? What does Lukas say about any attempts to write down personal experiences? Do you agree with Lukas? Compare and contrast what H.H. says about his experiences in trying to write his memoirs and what Lukas says about writing. Why do you think Lukas was able to succeed when H.H. cannot?
This section contains 2,067 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)