|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unmerited reputation does the League have in Part I?
2. At the beginning of Part II, where does the character leave the journey?
3. What does H.H. says happens when he examines things too closely?
4. How is Leo described by H.H. in Part II?
5. What does the narrator do at the end of his probation year in the League?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the whistling stops at the beginning of Part IV?
2. What sentiments does H.H. express about psychologist in Part III?
3. In Part V, what item does H.H. recognize as he awaits the decision of the League officials?
4. How do people not on the journey get news of the League journey?
5. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
6. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
7. In Part V, what does H.H. anticipate about being summoned to the League?
8. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
9. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
10. Briefly describe what happens to H.H. as the story comes to a close in Part V?
Essay Topic 1
After his encounter with Leo, H.H. says he felt foolish and lost, and that he wished to die.How does H.H. describe death? Has the meaning of death changed for him? Compare what he says about death. What helps him overcome his desire to die?
Essay Topic 2
In Part I, the narrator suggests the reader cannot really comprehend his story. What reasons does he give? Who does he agree with and what is said that he finds to be true? Who are the only ones he thinks can believe or understand his tale? Do you agree with H.H.'s beliefs and concerns about the reader's ability to understand? Explain your answer and include if you have ever had difficulty understanding a book due to lack of experience contained in the topic.
Essay Topic 3
As Part V opens, Leo is sent from the League to bring H.H. to the High Throne. What is validated for H.H. by Leo's appearance and why does this matter to H.H.? What is Leo doing as they journey to the High Throne and why do you think he is behaving as he is? Describe the varying emotions experienced by H.H. as he follows Leo to their destination.
This section contains 1,980 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)