|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part II, who or what else is missing?
2. What unmerited reputation does the League have in Part I?
3. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
4. What does H.H. says happens when he examines things too closely?
5. Who or what occupies the narrator's thoughts the most on the journey in Part I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
2. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
3. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
4. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
5. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
6. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
7. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
8. What is Morbio Inferiore?
9. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part III, H.H. visits his friend Lukas who has written a book about the World War. What does H.H. wish to gain from the meeting? What is Lukas' original reaction to H.H.'s request? How does Lukas opinion change later in Part III?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 3
As Part V opens, Leo is sent from the League to bring H.H. to the High Throne. What is validated for H.H. by Leo's appearance and why does this matter to H.H.? What is Leo doing as they journey to the High Throne and why do you think he is behaving as he is? Describe the varying emotions experienced by H.H. as he follows Leo to their destination.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)