|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression do most people have of the League?
2. How does H.H. describe his demeanor in Part II?
3. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
4. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
5. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
2. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
3. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
4. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
5. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
6. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
7. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
8. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
9. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
10. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leo is patient with H.H. yet remains distant. What reason does Leo give for this distancing? What does Leo say about understanding men? Who does he seem to prefer as his intimate companions? Why? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 3
H.H. sits down and writes a long letter after he gets home from his conversation with Leo. Who does he write the letter to? What does he say in the letter? How does he feel immediately after he has written this letter?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)