|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, how does the narrator describe encounters with different parties?
2. What does the narrator say is the one paradox that must be accepted?
3. What does the narrator do at the end of his probation year in the League?
4. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
5. In Part I, what does the narrator say that several other authors claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
2. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
3. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
4. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
5. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
6. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
7. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
8. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
9. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. sees Leo on Seilergraben and recognizes him. Why do you think it takes him so long to approach Leo? What does H.H. do before making himself known to Leo? How does Leo behave? Explain why you think Leo acts the way he does.
Essay Topic 2
As Part V opens, Leo is sent from the League to bring H.H. to the High Throne. What is validated for H.H. by Leo's appearance and why does this matter to H.H.? What is Leo doing as they journey to the High Throne and why do you think he is behaving as he is? Describe the varying emotions experienced by H.H. as he follows Leo to their destination.
Essay Topic 3
In Part III, H.H. visits his friend Lukas who has written a book about the World War. What does H.H. wish to gain from the meeting? What is Lukas' original reaction to H.H.'s request? How does Lukas opinion change later in Part III?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)