|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the times early in Part I?
2. What is it that H.H. says a historian searches for in events?
3. In Part II, where does one man assert an important document is?
4. Who unexpectedly disappears from the journey as Part II opens?
5. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
2. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
3. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
4. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
5. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
6. What is Morbio Inferiore?
7. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
8. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
9. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 2
As Part V opens, Leo is sent from the League to bring H.H. to the High Throne. What is validated for H.H. by Leo's appearance and why does this matter to H.H.? What is Leo doing as they journey to the High Throne and why do you think he is behaving as he is? Describe the varying emotions experienced by H.H. as he follows Leo to their destination.
Essay Topic 3
Early in Part III, Leo wants to end his meeting with H.H. after a brief conversation, but H.H. persists in following him. What does H.H. want from Leo? What is Leo's response? How does Leo try to calm H.H.? Explain why you think Leo is not able to recognize H.H. Include in your explanation an analysis of what is said in Part I about what happens to deserters of the League.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)