|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. say his belief is susceptible to in Part II?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say most historians want to do?
3. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
4. In Part II, another person on the journey claims what about certain writings?
5. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. do as the person who exits the building passes by him in Part IV?
2. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
3. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
4. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
5. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
6. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
7. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
8. What affect does H.H.'s "happy memory" in Part III have on him?
9. What is H.H.'s reaction to the possibility of finding Leo in Part III?
10. What happens when H.H. approaches the person he has followed to a park in Part IV?
Essay Topic 1
The group arrives at Morbio Inferiore. What is Morbio Inferiore and where is it located? How does H.H. describe it? Does its physical features reflect what is going on in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The members of H.H.'s group suffer a terrible loss on their journey east. What is this loss? How does it effect the group? Why do you think the group reacts as they do?
Essay Topic 3
Lukas makes comparisons between his experiences in the World War and H.H.'s experiences on his journey. What comparisons does he make? What does Lukas say about any attempts to write down personal experiences? Do you agree with Lukas? Compare and contrast what H.H. says about his experiences in trying to write his memoirs and what Lukas says about writing. Why do you think Lukas was able to succeed when H.H. cannot?
This section contains 2,017 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)