|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe all the artists, poets, and musicians among the group in Part I?
2. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
3. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
4. What leads to heated arguments within the group at the beginning of Part II?
5. Who unexpectedly disappears from the journey as Part II opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
2. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
3. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
4. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
5. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
6. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
7. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
8. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
9. What experiences do Lukas and H.H. share in Part III?
10. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
Essay Topic 1
The members of H.H.'s group suffer a terrible loss on their journey east. What is this loss? How does it effect the group? Why do you think the group reacts as they do?
Essay Topic 2
H.H. says that he sees his egoism more clearly each day as he plans to write. What does he mean by his "egoism"? What does he say concerning how he began his journey and what the journey has become to him? Compare and contrast H.H.'s conflicting feelings.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Part I, the narrator says he has not seen any existence of the League for a long time, nor any of its members. What reason does he give for this later in Part I? What does he say happens to those who leave the League? Explain.
This section contains 2,033 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)