|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lukas believe cannot be conveyed to even the most serious?
(a) A real picture of the war.
(b) Life's simplest joys.
(c) The fear of death.
(d) The understanding of dreams.
2. What does Lukas suddenly do after describing his experiences?
(a) Goes to bed.
(b) Make H.H. leave.
(c) Cries inconsolably.
(d) Laughs deleriously.
3. How does the man H.H. follows feel about dogs, birds, and cats?
(a) He believes they contain old souls.
(b) He thinks they are bad omens.
(c) He understands them.
(d) He loves them.
4. Who or what does H.H. see near the person he follows in Part IV?
(a) A young couple.
(b) The missing document.
(c) A League member.
(d) Two white dogs.
5. Who is the person H.H. has been following and speaking to in Part IV?
(b) An old man.
6. What does H.H. say he will do no matter what happens?
(a) Never break his vow.
(b) Exercise his will.
(c) Work until he dies.
(d) Reach his ultimate goal.
7. What does the man H.H. follows tell him about life?
(a) It is a passage.
(b) It is a test.
(c) It is a dream.
(d) It is a game.
8. How does H.H.'s recollection of the his earlier journey affect him?
(a) He weeps uncontrollably.
(b) He suddenly remembers where he is.
(c) He says things remain hopeless.
(d) He says everything becomes clear.
9. How does H.H. say he will approach his task in Part III?
(a) Piece by piece.
(b) With hope.
(c) With success.
(d) As a whole.
10. What does Lukas say he finally was able to accomplish?
(a) Lose his fear.
(b) Journey to the east.
(c) Write his war book.
(d) Understand H.H.'s situation.
11. How does the Man H.H. follows describe rain?
(a) As cleansing.
(b) Much needed.
(c) As refreshing.
(d) As wonderful.
12. As Part III opens, what is H.H. trying to find his way through?
(a) A sandstorm.
(b) His anger.
(c) His difficulty.
13. What does H.H. realize he is really trying to do when Part III ends?
(a) Believe in the League again.
(b) Find the traveler who disappeared on the journey.
(c) Give his life meaning again.
(d) Prove Lukas wrong.
14. What does Lukas believe is man's strongest hunger?
(a) To kill.
(b) To understand.
(c) To forget.
(d) To love.
15. What overcomes H.H. as he and the man he follows continue to converse?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. describe as hallucinations?
2. What happens to the many new movements of the post-war years?
3. What does H.H. say is stronger than reality?
4. What does H.H. say happens to several of the journey leaders?
5. What does H.H. say the man he follows dedicates himself to?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)