|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lukas and his friends say about H.H.'s "Journey to the East"?
(a) They say they admire his journey.
(b) They do not believe H.H. took the journey.
(c) It is like the Children's Crusade.
(d) They say it is a fool's journey.
2. In Part III, how does H.H. say he first approaches his goal?
3. What does H.H realize about the whistling he hears?
(a) It must be a League member.
(b) Is fulfills all his wishes.
(c) It is an exotic bird.
(d) It is Lukas.
4. What does H.H. say is Lukas' point of view about the journey?
(a) He is a skeptic.
(b) He is a believer.
(c) He wishes to go with H.H.
(d) He is opposed to it.
5. Who or what does H.H. see near the person he follows in Part IV?
(a) A young couple.
(b) Two white dogs.
(c) The missing document.
(d) A League member.
6. What overcomes H.H. as he and the man he follows continue to converse?
7. What or who does the person say a violin reminds him of?
(b) A lovely song.
(c) King David.
(d) An angel's voice.
8. What happens to the many new movements of the post-war years?
(a) They disappear.
(b) They change history.
(c) They strengthen.
(d) They make history.
9. What does Lukas say H.H. keeps coming back to?
(a) His episode with Leo.
(b) His nightmares.
(c) Leo's Christian nature.
(d) His conversations about the League.
10. Who does H.H. write a long letter to when he returns home after his encounter with the man he follows?
(a) His lawyer.
(c) The League.
11. What happens after H.H. makes his vow when Part III begins?
(a) He is allowed to continue his journey.
(b) He finds the way to enlightenment.
(c) He has a happy memory.
(d) Princess Fatima appears to him.
12. What does Lukas and H.H. find in a thick book?
(a) The lost letter to the Caliph.
(b) A secret document about the League.
(c) The League's directory.
(d) An address for a man named Leo.
13. What does H.H. say psychologist are?
(a) Egotistical maniacs.
(b) Practioners of the unconscious.
(c) People who always win arguments.
(d) People who traffic in dreams.
14. Who or what does H.H. say he will not give in to as Part III opens?
15. What does Lukas compare H.H.'s experiences on the journey to?
(a) Mary and Josephs' journey to Egypt.
(b) His own war experiences.
(c) The Illiad.
(d) A bad dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. tell Lukas his current passion is in Part III?
2. What does Lukas believe cannot be conveyed to even the most serious?
3. What does H.H. say happens to several of the journey leaders?
4. When the person learns H.H. has given up something special, what does he say it is because of?
5. What does H.H. feel he has lost at the end of his walk with the man?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)