|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the man H.H. follows feel about dogs, birds, and cats?
(a) He understands them.
(b) He thinks they are bad omens.
(c) He believes they contain old souls.
(d) He loves them.
2. What does H.H. do as the man he follows walks away?
(a) He stands and watches.
(b) Runs after him.
(c) He goes home.
(d) He visits Lukas.
3. What does the man H.H. follows tell him about life?
(a) It is a dream.
(b) It is a game.
(c) It is a passage.
(d) It is a test.
4. As Part III opens, what is H.H. trying to find his way through?
(a) His anger.
(b) His difficulty.
(c) A sandstorm.
5. Who does H.H. write a long letter to when he returns home after his encounter with the man he follows?
(a) The League.
(b) His lawyer.
6. Who joins H.H. as he listens to the whistling?
(b) His walking companion.
(c) An old man.
(d) No one.
7. At the beginning of Part III, how does H.H. remember feeling about his group's undertaking?
(a) It is impossible.
(b) It is a blessing to be a part of.
(c) It is a hopelss task.
(d) It is a pleasant journey.
8. What does H.H. describe as hallucinations?
(a) His ambitions.
(b) His reality.
(c) His memories.
(d) His dreams.
9. What does Lukas believe cannot be conveyed to even the most serious?
(a) The understanding of dreams.
(b) A real picture of the war.
(c) Life's simplest joys.
(d) The fear of death.
10. What does H.H. believe is necessary to be able to write?
(a) A good ending.
(b) A fixed idea.
(c) The truth.
(d) A starting point.
11. What does H.H. tell Lukas about the League?
(a) It understands enlightenment.
(b) It is a strict society.
(c) It is not a post-war movement.
(d) It started during the World War.
12. What does Lukas say he finally was able to accomplish?
(a) Journey to the east.
(b) Understand H.H.'s situation.
(c) Write his war book.
(d) Lose his fear.
13. How does H.H. describe the whistling he hears as Part IV opens?
14. Who is the person H.H. has been following and speaking to in Part IV?
(c) An old man.
15. What does Lukas say H.H. keeps coming back to?
(a) His conversations about the League.
(b) His nightmares.
(c) His episode with Leo.
(d) Leo's Christian nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. see the person he follows do in Part IV?
2. Why does H.H. visit Lukas?
3. What concern does the person H.H. follows express about him?
4. Who or what does H.H. see near the person he follows in Part IV?
5. What does H.H. say is stronger than reality?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)