|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does H.H. say is the whistler?
(a) A peacock.
(b) A young girl.
(d) The old man.
2. What does H.H. tell Lukas his current passion is in Part III?
(a) To dispel Lukas' misgivings.
(b) To help others join the League.
(c) To write a simple story.
(d) To write a history book.
3. As Part III opens, what is H.H. trying to find his way through?
(a) A sandstorm.
(c) His difficulty.
(d) His anger.
4. What does H.H. say he used to be?
(a) A League member.
(b) A writer.
(c) An historian.
(d) A musician.
5. What is the purpose of the letter H.H. writes at the end of Part IV.
(a) It is his last will and testament.
(b) It is a request for help.
(c) He exposes the secrets of the League.
(d) He writes it to unburden himself.
6. What does H.H. say he will do no matter what happens?
(a) Reach his ultimate goal.
(b) Exercise his will.
(c) Never break his vow.
(d) Work until he dies.
7. Where does H.H. follow the person to in Part IV?
(a) Back to Lukas' home.
(b) The League headquarters.
(c) A bench in a park.
(d) The Legue Court.
8. What do Lukas and his friends say about H.H.'s "Journey to the East"?
(a) They say it is a fool's journey.
(b) It is like the Children's Crusade.
(c) They do not believe H.H. took the journey.
(d) They say they admire his journey.
9. How does the man H.H. follows feel about dogs, birds, and cats?
(a) He loves them.
(b) He understands them.
(c) He believes they contain old souls.
(d) He thinks they are bad omens.
10. What does H.H. say separates him from this man he follows?
(a) The League.
11. What does H.H. ask of the man he follows?
(a) For pity.
(b) To be blessed.
(c) To be forgiven.
(d) To guide him.
12. What does H.H. tell Lukas about the League?
(a) It understands enlightenment.
(b) It is not a post-war movement.
(c) It is a strict society.
(d) It started during the World War.
13. What overcomes H.H. as he and the man he follows continue to converse?
14. In Part III, how does Lukas' opinion change concerning H.H.'s problem?
(a) He takes it seriously.
(b) He treats it casually.
(c) He begins to understand it.
(d) He decides to help solve it.
15. What does H.H. realize he is really trying to do when Part III ends?
(a) Believe in the League again.
(b) Prove Lukas wrong.
(c) Find the traveler who disappeared on the journey.
(d) Give his life meaning again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after H.H. makes his vow when Part III begins?
2. What does H.H. describe as hallucinations?
3. What feeling comes over H.H. when he is about to greet the bare-headed man?
4. What happens to the many new movements of the post-war years?
5. What does H.H. do when the person he is following stops?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)