|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H.H. see the person he follows do in Part IV?
(a) Have a drink with the League Leader.
(b) Share a meal with Lukas.
(c) Enjoy something to eat.
(d) Have tea with Leo.
2. In Part III, how does Lukas' opinion change concerning H.H.'s problem?
(a) He decides to help solve it.
(b) He takes it seriously.
(c) He begins to understand it.
(d) He treats it casually.
3. What does Lukas believe cannot be conveyed to even the most serious?
(a) The understanding of dreams.
(b) A real picture of the war.
(c) Life's simplest joys.
(d) The fear of death.
4. What does H.H. say he will do no matter what happens?
(a) Reach his ultimate goal.
(b) Work until he dies.
(c) Exercise his will.
(d) Never break his vow.
5. What happens to the many new movements of the post-war years?
(a) They make history.
(b) They strengthen.
(c) They change history.
(d) They disappear.
6. What does H.H. tell Lukas his current passion is in Part III?
(a) To write a history book.
(b) To help others join the League.
(c) To write a simple story.
(d) To dispel Lukas' misgivings.
7. Why does H.H. visit Lukas?
(a) To apologize to him.
(b) To learn from him.
(c) To understand him.
(d) To instruct him.
8. What happens after H.H. makes his vow when Part III begins?
(a) He finds the way to enlightenment.
(b) Princess Fatima appears to him.
(c) He is allowed to continue his journey.
(d) He has a happy memory.
9. What does H.H. realize he is really trying to do when Part III ends?
(a) Find the traveler who disappeared on the journey.
(b) Believe in the League again.
(c) Prove Lukas wrong.
(d) Give his life meaning again.
10. What does H.H. say the man he follows dedicates himself to?
(a) To be loved and needed.
(b) To reach enlightenment.
(c) To be in a balanced relationship with his surroundings.
(d) To understand the true meaning of man.
11. How many conversations does H.H. say he and Lukas have?
(a) Two long discussions.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) One brief encounter.
(d) They converse daily.
12. What does Lukas and H.H. find in a thick book?
(a) A secret document about the League.
(b) The League's directory.
(c) The lost letter to the Caliph.
(d) An address for a man named Leo.
13. How does H.H. say he will approach his task in Part III?
(a) As a whole.
(b) With success.
(c) With hope.
(d) Piece by piece.
14. What does Lukas compare H.H.'s experiences on the journey to?
(a) The Illiad.
(b) His own war experiences.
(c) A bad dream.
(d) Mary and Josephs' journey to Egypt.
15. Who does H.H. write a long letter to when he returns home after his encounter with the man he follows?
(a) His lawyer.
(b) The League.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lukas and his friends wonder about H.H. and his group?
2. What feeling comes over H.H. when he is about to greet the bare-headed man?
3. How does H.H. describe the whistling he hears as Part IV opens?
4. What do Lukas and his friends say about H.H.'s "Journey to the East"?
5. What do the man who live on the third floor do sometimes?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)