|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's life-goal?
(a) To win the love of Princess Fatima.
(b) To understand the "Tao".
(c) To travel with Roland.
(d) To capture a magical snake.
2. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
(a) Once found it cannot be lost.
(b) It is not recognized by common people.
(c) It cannot be bought.
(d) It is regained by repentance.
3. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
(a) The future of the League.
(b) Leo's ability to perform magic.
(c) The secrecy of the League.
(d) The value and meaning of everything, even life.
4. What impression do most people have of the League?
(a) It is an ancient group of mystics.
(b) It is one of many newly blossomed cults.
(c) It is the secret protectors of Christian artifacts.
(d) It is a league of wonderous judges.
5. In Part II, how does H.H. describe what everything has become to him?
(a) Nightmares that keep him from falling asleep.
(b) Clear images reflected in a mirror.
(c) Hazy memories that disappear like a mist.
(d) A mass of separate fragmentory pictures.
6. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
(a) It is settling into a democratic time.
(b) It is full of saviors and prophets.
(c) It is under the rule of a strong dictator.
(d) It is enjoying a new prosperity.
7. Who unexpectedly disappears from the journey as Part II opens?
8. What does the narrator do at the end of his probation year in the League?
(a) Dedicates his body and soul to the Journey East.
(b) Chooses a life of poverty and prayer.
(c) Pays his dues to become a full member.
(d) Climbs the mystical mountain to study under the League leader.
9. What is placed on the narrator as he is admitted into the League?
(a) The League ring is placed on his finger.
(b) A black fez with a red tassle and gold crescent.
(c) A simple brown robe with a cowl.
(d) A brilliant purple cape with gold embroidery.
10. What does the narrator say is in the East that disciples are traveling towards?
(a) The Bacchanalian feast.
(b) The Home of LIght.
(c) The great temple of Kundalini.
(d) The dawning of the Third Empire.
11. What does the narrator say about Leo at the end of Part I?
(a) He is the holder of Solomon's Key.
(b) He probably knows more than the entire group.
(c) He is closer than a brother to the narrator.
(d) He is very unreliable.
12. What is H.H.'s hope as Part II ends?
(a) He will continue his story tomorrow.
(b) He will be able to forgive the League.
(c) He will not despair over the loss of his memoirs.
(d) He will find the strength to continue his journey.
13. In the beginning of Part II, how does H.H. say the character's disappearance came about?
(a) It is a link in a chain of disasterous events.
(b) It is because of an accident.
(c) That character leaves the League.
(d) That character has an emergency at home.
14. In Part One, who does the narrator quote as saying, "Where are we really going"?
(b) The narrator.
(c) The League novitiates.
(d) The poet Novalis.
15. What does H.H. say has exaggerated value in Part II?
(a) Lukas' description of the World War.
(b) The success of the journey.
(c) A missing document.
(d) The power of the League.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say each member on the Journey East has to have?
2. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
3. What does everyone agree on about a particular document in Part II?
4. What does the narrator says is impairing him as he starts his narration early in Part I?
5. What do the officials instruct the narrator to do once he is a member of the League?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)