|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part I, what does the narrator say the conquered nations are ready to believe in?
(a) A time of great exploration.
(b) Things beyond reality.
(c) Long lasting peace.
(d) Their freedom.
2. What is H.H.'s hope as Part II ends?
(a) He will continue his story tomorrow.
(b) He will be able to forgive the League.
(c) He will not despair over the loss of his memoirs.
(d) He will find the strength to continue his journey.
3. What does H.H. says happens when he examines things too closely?
(a) They come into sharp relief.
(b) They become a heavy burden.
(c) THey are imprinted forever in his memory.
(d) They slip away and dissolve.
4. Who unexpectedly disappears from the journey as Part II opens?
5. At the beginning of Part II, where does the character leave the journey?
(a) Morbio Inferiore.
6. What unmerited reputation does the League have in Part I?
(a) They are commisioned by St. Christopher.
(b) They will restore the monarchy.
(c) They will overthrow the government in India.
(d) They will take back the Holy Land.
7. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
(a) It is not recognized by common people.
(b) It cannot be bought.
(c) Once found it cannot be lost.
(d) It is regained by repentance.
8. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
(a) It brings full enlightment to each traveler.
(b) It is a single pilgrmage.
(c) It is a procession of believers moving towards the East.
(d) It is a long and difficult journey.
9. Where does the group camp as Part II begins?
(a) A narrow mountain gorge on the Italian border.
(b) In an oasis in the Sahara.
(c) A dark forest in Greece.
(d) A meadow in the Alps.
10. What does the deserter wish to do some time later?
(a) Be forgiven and rejoin the League.
(b) Gain the confidence of the League Speaker.
(c) Write his memoirs for publication.
(d) Expose the League's secrets.
11. What or who does H.H. say historical events happen to?
(a) The participants.
(b) The victors.
(c) The nameless.
(d) The future.
12. What does the narrator says is impairing him as he starts his narration early in Part I?
(a) An injury to his leg.
(b) His confidence and recollection.
(c) His eyesight.
(d) An injury to his head.
13. In Part II, another person on the journey claims what about certain writings?
(a) They are understood only by League members.
(b) They are writings in French and Hebrew.
(c) They are original characters known only by the master.
(d) They are important German writings.
14. What belief does H.H. say he is sadly sure of?
(a) His health will weaken befor the Journey is complete.
(b) The original League document is in Leo's bag.
(c) He will never meet Princess Fatima.
(d) His friend, Lukas, is a liar.
15. What time of year does H.H. recall in Part II?
(c) Summer/Bacchus Festival.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II, what does H.H. say is very difficult for him to do?
2. What is the narrator's life-goal?
3. In Part II, how does H.H. describe what everything has become to him?
4. Who or what does H.H. say is the basis of his community in Part II?
5. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)