|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part II, where does one man assert an important document is?
(a) In a protective leather pouch.
(b) In the Blue Pot.
(c) In Leo's bag.
(d) At the journey's end.
2. In Part I, what is Longus doing in "the wood"?
(a) Playing with two white dogs.
(b) Writing Greek and Hebrew.
(c) Meditating with Leo.
(d) Carving his enchantment flute.
3. In Part I, what does the narrator say world history often seems like?
(a) Humanity's desire to erase its memory.
(b) A waste of time to study.
(c) A short respite between national wars.
(d) Glorious revelations of previous generations.
4. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
(a) It cannot be bought.
(b) Once found it cannot be lost.
(c) It is regained by repentance.
(d) It is not recognized by common people.
5. Mohamed's coffin is believed to hold what magical power?
(a) One can rise one freely into the air.
(b) One receives the ability to judge all men righteously.
(c) One gains immediate entrance into paradise.
(d) One will gain the power to speak to animals.
6. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
(a) The secrecy of the League.
(b) The value and meaning of everything, even life.
(c) The future of the League.
(d) Leo's ability to perform magic.
7. In Part I, what does the narrator believe is his great fortune?
(a) To find a rare map.
(b) To belong to the League.
(c) To inherit a modest fortune.
(d) To be a gifted writer.
8. In Part II, another person on the journey claims what about certain writings?
(a) They are original characters known only by the master.
(b) They are understood only by League members.
(c) They are important German writings.
(d) They are writings in French and Hebrew.
9. What does the deserter wish to do some time later?
(a) Expose the League's secrets.
(b) Be forgiven and rejoin the League.
(c) Gain the confidence of the League Speaker.
(d) Write his memoirs for publication.
10. In Part I, who or what does the narrator meet at the riverside?
(b) Puss 'n Boots.
(c) Charles the Great.
(d) A talking peacock.
11. In Part I, where does the narrator say his happiness arises from?
(a) Being able to see the Sun Mountains.
(b) Meeting Mozrt and hearing him play.
(c) Arriving at the King of Siam's colony and feasting with him.
(d) The freedom to experience everything simultaneously.
12. What does everyone agree on about a particular document in Part II?
(a) It is of great value.
(b) It is in a linen bag.
(c) It is a copy.
(d) It is an original.
13. What time of year does H.H. recall in Part II?
(a) Summer/Bacchus Festival.
14. What is the narrator's life-goal?
(a) To win the love of Princess Fatima.
(b) To understand the "Tao".
(c) To capture a magical snake.
(d) To travel with Roland.
15. In Part One, who does the narrator quote as saying, "Where are we really going"?
(a) The narrator.
(c) The poet Novalis.
(d) The League novitiates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or who does H.H. say historical events happen to?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say is the only important thing in his life?
3. What or who does H.H. wish to save in Part II?
4. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
5. Who or what does H.H. say is the basis of his community in Part II?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)