|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
(a) Whether or not they really experienced it.
(b) Whether others care what happened to them.
(c) Whether they will ever forget.
(d) Whether their story is worth telling.
2. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
(a) His prayer book.
(b) His personal journal.
(c) His cloak.
(d) His vow of silence.
3. What is placed on the narrator as he is admitted into the League?
(a) A brilliant purple cape with gold embroidery.
(b) A black fez with a red tassle and gold crescent.
(c) The League ring is placed on his finger.
(d) A simple brown robe with a cowl.
4. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
(a) It is regained by repentance.
(b) It is not recognized by common people.
(c) It cannot be bought.
(d) Once found it cannot be lost.
5. What leads to heated arguments within the group at the beginning of Part II?
(a) The leader's inablilty to gain the group's confidence.
(b) Whether or not to continue the journey.
(c) H.H.'s very bad temper.
(d) The possible loss of an important document.
6. In Part I, what does the narrator believe is his great fortune?
(a) To belong to the League.
(b) To inherit a modest fortune.
(c) To be a gifted writer.
(d) To find a rare map.
7. Who or what occupies the narrator's thoughts the most on the journey in Part I?
(b) Solomon's Key.
(c) The Speaker.
(d) The Holy Grail.
8. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
(a) A more hopeful belief.
(b) A chance to see the Christ child.
(c) A chance to go home.
(d) A chance to converse with Siddhartha.
9. Where does the group camp as Part II begins?
(a) A narrow mountain gorge on the Italian border.
(b) A meadow in the Alps.
(c) In an oasis in the Sahara.
(d) A dark forest in Greece.
10. What does the narrator do at the end of his probation year in the League?
(a) Dedicates his body and soul to the Journey East.
(b) Climbs the mystical mountain to study under the League leader.
(c) Pays his dues to become a full member.
(d) Chooses a life of poverty and prayer.
11. How far has the journey traveled as Part II begins?
(a) To the woods of Lindhorst.
(b) Through half of Europe and a portion of the Middle Ages.
(c) Beyond the Alps into Ancient Macedonia.
(d) Almost to the Pyramids of Egypt.
12. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
(a) It is enjoying a new prosperity.
(b) It is settling into a democratic time.
(c) It is under the rule of a strong dictator.
(d) It is full of saviors and prophets.
13. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
(a) Leo's ability to perform magic.
(b) The secrecy of the League.
(c) The future of the League.
(d) The value and meaning of everything, even life.
14. What is H.H.'s hope as Part II ends?
(a) He will be able to forgive the League.
(b) He will continue his story tomorrow.
(c) He will not despair over the loss of his memoirs.
(d) He will find the strength to continue his journey.
15. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
(a) Terrible flooding.
(b) The opposition of Saturn and the moon.
(c) The Prince of the provinces.
(d) The Journey leader quits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator says is impairing him as he starts his narration early in Part I?
2. What is it that H.H. says a historian searches for in events?
3. What or who does H.H. say historical events happen to?
4. What does H.H. say his belief is susceptible to in Part II?
5. What does the narrator say is in the East that disciples are traveling towards?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)