|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Castaneda believes his father was __________ because he never carried through any plan.
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda that his last girlfriend left him because he was too ______________.
3. Don Juan tells Castaneda to lie between two _______ and to cover himself with branches.
4. After Castaneda laughs at Don Juan's response to a question, Don Juan tells him to not waste his time with ___________.
5. Agreement is not enough, according to Don Juan, he should instead ____________ instantly.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the benefit of Castaneda paying Don Juan for his services and for his lessons?
2. What is Castaneda's mistake in not becoming an artist as he wanted to be, according to Don Juan?
3. What is the lesson of this chapter for Castaneda, according to Don Juan?
4. Why does Castaneda think Don Juan is crazy, like his friend seems to believe?
5. What does Don Juan want Castaneda to see in his eyes when he commands him to look at him?
6. Why doesn't Castaneda feel well at the beginning of this chapter?
7. What does Don Juan say is the reason why Castaneda is not quenched by walking with his fingers curled or of the leaves?
8. What is Don Juan's response to Castaneda's attempts to try to fill in a genealogy chart for Don Juan?
9. What does Don Juan do when he sees that Castaneda is not standing in a good spot?
10. What does Don Juan have to say about the process of learning about peyote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Assuming responsibility seems to be one of the first steps a person must take in the journey to self power and self awareness.
Part 1: Why is responsibility important to assume in one's life?
Part 2: Why is it important for Castaneda to learn more about responsibility?
Part 3: What might happen if Castaneda never assumed responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
Between Don Juan and Castaneda is a trust that seems to allow their work to be successful, even when it doesn't appear to do anything.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda trusts Don Juan during these lessons?
Part 2: What might happen if Castaneda didn't trust Don Juan or vice versa?
Part 3: Why is trust so important to have between these two men as they work together?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)