|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Castaneda wants to learn about plants, according to Don Juan, he must change his __________.
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda that one has to live like a ___________ in order to set traps.
3. The friend of Castaneda who put him in touch with Don Juan thinks the Indian is _________.
4. Don Juan tells Castaneda not to ___________ in fear, though Castaneda is very afraid as he travels to make himself accessible to power.
5. Don Juan points out that Castaneda walks in a ___________ way and that it will harm his learning.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Castaneda's response to Don Juan's question about why he was lying when they first met.
2. What does Don Juan's intimidating glance cause Castaneda to do before he approaches him again?
3. What does Don Juan say is the reason why Castaneda is not quenched by walking with his fingers curled or of the leaves?
4. What does Don Juan do when the percolator makes a loud noise in response to something Don Juan says?
5. What does Don Juan say to Castaneda when he asks how someone can drop his personal history?
6. How does Don Juan respond to the statement by Castaneda that he is a Yaqui Indian and he cannot deny that?
7. When the wind makes itself known to the men, what is the only way it seems to be able to die down?
8. What is Castaneda's mistake in not becoming an artist as he wanted to be, according to Don Juan?
9. Who is the funny bird that Don Juan wants Castaneda to remember from his youth?
10. What is Don Juan's response to Castaneda's attempts to try to fill in a genealogy chart for Don Juan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story are various omens that are meant to show Castaneda things about himself.
Part 1: Why are omens important in this story?
Part 2: Which omen is most important to Castaneda's learning? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think the crow continues to show up for Castaneda in this book?
Essay Topic 2
The decision to meet with Don Juan is one that Castaneda does not make lightly. At the same time, it seems to be a decision he doesn't quite think through.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda choose Don Juan to work with in his book?
Part 2: Do you think Don Juan believes Castaneda to be a worthy student? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might Castaneda have done differently if he were to be able to redo his first meeting with Don Juan?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan is insistent that Castaneda must not want change because he doesn't seem to be changing much between their meetings.
Part 1: Why is it important to Don Juan that he see change in Castaneda?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda really wants to change himself? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can a person avoid changing? Why or why not? Isn't change just a natural process that doesn't need to be instigated? Why or why not?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)