|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Castaneda asks Don Juan if he is being serious, Don Juan responds that he is being ______________.
2. Castaneda wants to know what Don Juan has ___________ to him since no one else knew about that bird.
3. What do the animals they are watching do once they lose their predators in a chase?
4. What does Castaneda lose track of as he begins to follow the lessons of Don Juan during the morning?
5. Castaneda admits that on ____________ occasions when he stood on a space Don Juan deemed bad, he felt ill.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan say to Castaneda when he asks how someone can drop his personal history?
2. What is Don Juan's response to Castaneda's attempts to try to fill in a genealogy chart for Don Juan?
3. What does Don Juan have to say about the process of learning about peyote?
4. What is the benefit of Castaneda paying Don Juan for his services and for his lessons?
5. What does Don Juan do with the five quails that the two men capture during the day?
6. What is Don Juan's response when Castaneda tells him he will pay Don Juan appropriately for the lessons he will learn?
7. How does one find the proper place to rest, according to the lessons of Don Juan?
8. What does Don Juan do when he sees that Castaneda is not standing in a good spot?
9. What does Don Juan want Castaneda to see in his eyes when he commands him to look at him?
10. What is Castaneda's response to Don Juan's question about why he was lying when they first met.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
Essay Topic 2
The goal of becoming a hunter is not what Castaneda planned to do when he decided to work with Don Juan for his school project.
Part 1: Why is becoming a hunter essential to Castaneda's success with Don Juan?
Part 2: What qualities make Castaneda a strong hunter? A weak hunter?
Part 3: What might the process of learning to be a hunter be a metaphor for in the two men's work together?
Essay Topic 3
Assuming responsibility seems to be one of the first steps a person must take in the journey to self power and self awareness.
Part 1: Why is responsibility important to assume in one's life?
Part 2: Why is it important for Castaneda to learn more about responsibility?
Part 3: What might happen if Castaneda never assumed responsibility?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)