|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda when he begins to drink his water, saying it will quench his thirst?
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda it takes a long time to learn about ___________.
3. Don Juan tells Castaneda that his last girlfriend left him because he was too ______________.
4. Don Juan tells Castaneda that one can stop ______________ at the drop of a hat.
5. Don Juan says that the only thing indispensable to their work together is __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What would have happened if Don Juan had kept all of the quails they had captured?
2. When the wind makes itself known to the men, what is the only way it seems to be able to die down?
3. What is Castaneda's mistake in not becoming an artist as he wanted to be, according to Don Juan?
4. What is the point of the loud siren sounds that Don Juan begins to make at Castaneda?
5. What is Castaneda's response to Don Juan's question about why he was lying when they first met.
6. What does Don Juan do when the percolator makes a loud noise in response to something Don Juan says?
7. What does Don Juan have to say about the process of learning about peyote?
8. What does Don Juan say the wind's identity truly is, rather than just being a part of nature's actions?
9. What does Don Juan instruct Castaneda to do when they are hiking and Castaneda just wants to rest?
10. What does Don Juan want Castaneda to see in his eyes when he commands him to look at him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
Essay Topic 3
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)