|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda he is too __________ and takes himself too seriously.
2. How many months of extra research does Castaneda do in preparation for his work with Don Juan?
3. Don Juan decides that Castaneda has a knack for ________________ and that is what he will be taught when they meet.
4. What can a person do when a person learns how to stop the world, according to Don Juan?
5. When Castaneda asks Don Juan if he is being serious, Don Juan responds that he is being ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does one find the proper place to rest, according to the lessons of Don Juan?
2. What is Castaneda's mistake in not becoming an artist as he wanted to be, according to Don Juan?
3. Don Juan says that some people live happily because of one thing - what is this one state of mind?
4. How does Don Juan respond to the statement by Castaneda that he is a Yaqui Indian and he cannot deny that?
5. What does Don Juan say to Castaneda when he asks how someone can drop his personal history?
6. What is the benefit of Castaneda paying Don Juan for his services and for his lessons?
7. The idea that Castaneda seems to be a 'chosen man' perplexes Don Juan, but what does it mean Don Juan needs to do?
8. What is the lesson of this chapter for Castaneda, according to Don Juan?
9. What does Don Juan instruct Castaneda to do when they are hiking and Castaneda just wants to rest?
10. What does Don Juan reveal to be the true identity of the dog that Castaneda saw during his peyote experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Searching for power sounds like a difficult task for anyone to do, but Don Juan leads Castaneda on the quest nonetheless.
Part 1: Why is a search for power important for Castaneda to learn in his studies?
Part 2: Why do you think the search for power is such an unpredictable experience?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda already has power or does he have to search for it outside of himself? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Essay Topic 2
Don Juan is insistent that Castaneda must not want change because he doesn't seem to be changing much between their meetings.
Part 1: Why is it important to Don Juan that he see change in Castaneda?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda really wants to change himself? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can a person avoid changing? Why or why not? Isn't change just a natural process that doesn't need to be instigated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Between Don Juan and Castaneda is a trust that seems to allow their work to be successful, even when it doesn't appear to do anything.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda trusts Don Juan during these lessons?
Part 2: What might happen if Castaneda didn't trust Don Juan or vice versa?
Part 3: Why is trust so important to have between these two men as they work together?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)