|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A creature that is impossible to track is something that happens ______________.
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda to lie between two _______ and to cover himself with branches.
3. What does Castaneda eat, though it nauseates him and Don Juan laughs hysterically as he does eat this creature?
4. How many months of extra research does Castaneda do in preparation for his work with Don Juan?
5. Castaneda is frustrated that it seems to be okay for Don Juan to ___________ but it's wrong for Castaneda to do so.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don Juan's response to Castaneda's attempts to try to fill in a genealogy chart for Don Juan?
2. What does Don Juan have to say about the process of learning about peyote?
3. What is Castaneda's mistake in not becoming an artist as he wanted to be, according to Don Juan?
4. What is Don Juan's assessment of Castaneda's feelings about himself and how they will affect his learning?
5. What does Don Juan say to Castaneda when he asks how someone can drop his personal history?
6. What is Castaneda's response to Don Juan's question about why he was lying when they first met.
7. What does Don Juan want Castaneda to see in his eyes when he commands him to look at him?
8. What is so magical about a creature that cannot be tracked by ordinary means?
9. How does one find the proper place to rest, according to the lessons of Don Juan?
10. Why is Carlos Castaneda seeking the lessons of Don Juan in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
Essay Topic 2
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One's personal history is something we are accustomed to thinking about, but Don Juan is insistent that people forget this in order to learn and to grow.
Part 1: How does Don Juan define the idea of a personal history? How does this differ from Castaneda's definition?
Part 2: Why is a personal history important to keep sacred?
Part 3: Why might a personal history get in the way of learning and spiritual growth?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)