|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A creature that is impossible to track is something that happens ______________.
2. How should one's fingers be curled as one walks, according to Don Juan as he speaks to Castaneda?
3. What is the cause of Castaneda's ill feelings at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What does Castaneda continue to bring up, even though Don Juan never seems to answer him?
5. What was different about the bird Castaneda and his grandfather hunted on his grandfather's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don Juan's assessment of Castaneda's feelings about himself and how they will affect his learning?
2. Why is Carlos Castaneda seeking the lessons of Don Juan in this book?
3. What is Castaneda's mistake in not becoming an artist as he wanted to be, according to Don Juan?
4. What is Castaneda's response to Don Juan's question about why he was lying when they first met.
5. Who is the funny bird that Don Juan wants Castaneda to remember from his youth?
6. When the wind makes itself known to the men, what is the only way it seems to be able to die down?
7. What does Don Juan have to say about the process of learning about peyote?
8. What is the benefit of Castaneda paying Don Juan for his services and for his lessons?
9. What does Castaneda think of the way that Don Juan lives?
10. What does Don Juan instruct Castaneda to do when they are hiking and Castaneda just wants to rest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Genero talks to Castenada about being ready to tackle one's ally, which causes Castaneda to seriously consider whether he is ready for that challenge.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Genero told this story to Castaneda?
Part 2: Why doesn't Castaneda feel like he is ready to continue his learning?
Part 3: Why is is important to battle one's own ally? What will it provide to the warrior?
Essay Topic 2
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A battle between someone who is good and someone who is bad is nothing new to stories of spirituality. La Catalina is certainly someone to fear, it seems.
Part 1: Why would La Catalina want to find out more about Castaneda or fight him?
Part 2: Do you think La Catalina is really following Castaneda or is this another test from Don Juan? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do the attacks by La Catalina signify in Castaneda's training?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)