|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda that one has to live like a ___________ in order to set traps.
2. What happens after Castaneda continues to try to cross his eyes, as Don Juan has instructed him?
3. Don Juan points out that Castaneda walks in a ___________ way and that it will harm his learning.
4. What flies overhead, making Castaneda laugh without any clear reason?
5. What kind of animal does Don Juan talk about having chased during his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the wind makes itself known to the men, what is the only way it seems to be able to die down?
2. What must Castaneda do in order to become accessible to power, according to Don Juan?
3. How does Don Juan respond to the statement by Castaneda that he is a Yaqui Indian and he cannot deny that?
4. What does Don Juan reveal to be the true identity of the dog that Castaneda saw during his peyote experience?
5. What does Don Juan instruct Castaneda to do when they are hiking and Castaneda just wants to rest?
6. What is Don Juan's assessment of Castaneda's feelings about himself and how they will affect his learning?
7. What does Don Juan say to Castaneda when he asks how someone can drop his personal history?
8. What is so magical about a creature that cannot be tracked by ordinary means?
9. Don Juan says it is not enough to know how to make or to set traps. What does one have to do in order to change?
10. What does Don Juan do when the percolator makes a loud noise in response to something Don Juan says?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A battle between someone who is good and someone who is bad is nothing new to stories of spirituality. La Catalina is certainly someone to fear, it seems.
Part 1: Why would La Catalina want to find out more about Castaneda or fight him?
Part 2: Do you think La Catalina is really following Castaneda or is this another test from Don Juan? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do the attacks by La Catalina signify in Castaneda's training?
Essay Topic 3
The different images of Don Juan confuse the men who see him shift from one image to the next as the men relate their stories to each other.
Part 1: What do you think the significance is of each of the costumes that Don Juan seems to wear?
Part 2: Why do you think the image was different for each man?
Part 3: Why do you think Castaneda is convinced that his view was the right one?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)