|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan points out that Castaneda walks in a ___________ way and that it will harm his learning.
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda that ____________ is our constant companion.
3. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda when he begins to drink his water, saying it will quench his thirst?
4. Don Juan grabs eight __________ and tells Castaneda to do the same while apologizing for hurting the plants.
5. When Don Juan takes Castaneda on a hike, he tells him that plants can _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Castaneda goes to visit Don Juan in December of 1960, what question does he ask Don Juan upon his arrival?
2. What is the benefit of Castaneda paying Don Juan for his services and for his lessons?
3. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda to never do while he is walking?
4. What does Don Juan say the wind's identity truly is, rather than just being a part of nature's actions?
5. How does one find the proper place to rest, according to the lessons of Don Juan?
6. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
7. What does Don Juan reveal to be the true identity of the dog that Castaneda saw during his peyote experience?
8. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
9. What does Don Juan do with the five quails that the two men capture during the day?
10. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story are various omens that are meant to show Castaneda things about himself.
Part 1: Why are omens important in this story?
Part 2: Which omen is most important to Castaneda's learning? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think the crow continues to show up for Castaneda in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A battle between someone who is good and someone who is bad is nothing new to stories of spirituality. La Catalina is certainly someone to fear, it seems.
Part 1: Why would La Catalina want to find out more about Castaneda or fight him?
Part 2: Do you think La Catalina is really following Castaneda or is this another test from Don Juan? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do the attacks by La Catalina signify in Castaneda's training?
This section contains 1,988 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)