|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Castaneda to find the proper place, he will need to learn to _______________.
2. What does Castaneda lose track of as he begins to follow the lessons of Don Juan during the morning?
3. What animals are Don Juan and Castaneda studying in order to learn their habits?
4. How many of the animals do Don Juan and Castaneda keep for themselves for eating?
5. Don Juan tells Castaneda that ____________ are not enough to learn about peyote.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan instruct Castaneda to do when they are hiking and Castaneda just wants to rest?
2. Why does Castaneda think Don Juan is crazy, like his friend seems to believe?
3. What does Don Juan do when he sees that Castaneda is not standing in a good spot?
4. How does Don Juan respond to the statement by Castaneda that he is a Yaqui Indian and he cannot deny that?
5. What is so magical about a creature that cannot be tracked by ordinary means?
6. What is Don Juan's explanation for the look he gave Castaneda when he first met him?
7. What must Castaneda learn in order to know where to place the traps he is going to make?
8. What is Castaneda's mistake in not becoming an artist as he wanted to be, according to Don Juan?
9. The idea that Castaneda seems to be a 'chosen man' perplexes Don Juan, but what does it mean Don Juan needs to do?
10. What does Don Juan say is the reason why Castaneda is not quenched by walking with his fingers curled or of the leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of self-importance seems to be another obstacle that stands in the way of Castaneda's growth with the teaching of Don Juan.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan think self-importance is problematic for learning and growing?
Part 2: Why doesn't Castaneda recognize his own self-importance?
Part 3: How might self-importance affect Castaneda's ability to learn? Or would it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)