Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an entity with a will of its own which Don Juan and Castaneda are trying to hide from?
2. Did Castaneda shoot the revered bird when it was in his line of sight?
3. Castaneda tells Don Juan that he is a _____________ and that cannot be changed.
4. What does Don Juan do when he tells Castaneda that he is always angry and righteous?
5. Don Juan tells Castaneda that his last girlfriend left him because he was too ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Castaneda goes to visit Don Juan in December of 1960, what question does he ask Don Juan upon his arrival?
2. Don Juan says that some people live happily because of one thing - what is this one state of mind?
3. What does Castaneda think of the way that Don Juan lives?
4. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
5. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
6. What does Don Juan reveal to be the true identity of the dog that Castaneda saw during his peyote experience?
7. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
8. What does Don Juan point out about the water rats they observe the entire morning?
9. What is Don Juan's explanation for the look he gave Castaneda when he first met him?
10. What is Don Juan's response to Castaneda's attempts to try to fill in a genealogy chart for Don Juan?
Essay Topic 1
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The goal of becoming a hunter is not what Castaneda planned to do when he decided to work with Don Juan for his school project.
Part 1: Why is becoming a hunter essential to Castaneda's success with Don Juan?
Part 2: What qualities make Castaneda a strong hunter? A weak hunter?
Part 3: What might the process of learning to be a hunter be a metaphor for in the two men's work together?
Essay Topic 3
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)