|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Castaneda complain about, though Don Juan tells him they are not important?
2. Don Juan believes that Castaneda thinks he is _______________ enough to be annoyed at everything.
3. Castaneda believes his father was __________ because he never carried through any plan.
4. A creature that is impossible to track is something that happens ______________.
5. Did Castaneda shoot the revered bird when it was in his line of sight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan do with the five quails that the two men capture during the day?
2. Don Juan says that some people live happily because of one thing - what is this one state of mind?
3. What does Don Juan say to Castaneda when he asks how someone can drop his personal history?
4. What is the benefit of Castaneda paying Don Juan for his services and for his lessons?
5. Don Juan shares something about the crow cawing, something that surprised it about its cawing - what surprised him?
6. How does one find the proper place to rest, according to the lessons of Don Juan?
7. What is the lesson of this chapter for Castaneda, according to Don Juan?
8. What does Don Juan say the wind's identity truly is, rather than just being a part of nature's actions?
9. What does Don Juan reveal to be the true identity of the dog that Castaneda saw during his peyote experience?
10. What is the point of the loud siren sounds that Don Juan begins to make at Castaneda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A battle between someone who is good and someone who is bad is nothing new to stories of spirituality. La Catalina is certainly someone to fear, it seems.
Part 1: Why would La Catalina want to find out more about Castaneda or fight him?
Part 2: Do you think La Catalina is really following Castaneda or is this another test from Don Juan? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do the attacks by La Catalina signify in Castaneda's training?
Essay Topic 2
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The encounter with the coyote is one that is shocking and thrilling to the reader and to Castaneda in his retelling, it seems.
Part 1: Why was Castaneda sent out to go alone to the mountains until his body tells him to quit?
Part 2: Why is the coyote an important figure or image for Castaneda to see?
Part 3: Is the coyote real or is it a hallucination? Why?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)