|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an entity with a will of its own which Don Juan and Castaneda are trying to hide from?
2. Did Castaneda shoot the revered bird when it was in his line of sight?
3. Castaneda tells Don Juan that he is a _____________ and that cannot be changed.
4. What does Don Juan do when he tells Castaneda that he is always angry and righteous?
5. Don Juan tells Castaneda that his last girlfriend left him because he was too ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Castaneda goes to visit Don Juan in December of 1960, what question does he ask Don Juan upon his arrival?
2. Don Juan says that some people live happily because of one thing - what is this one state of mind?
3. What does Castaneda think of the way that Don Juan lives?
4. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
5. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
6. What does Don Juan reveal to be the true identity of the dog that Castaneda saw during his peyote experience?
7. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
8. What does Don Juan point out about the water rats they observe the entire morning?
9. What is Don Juan's explanation for the look he gave Castaneda when he first met him?
10. What is Don Juan's response to Castaneda's attempts to try to fill in a genealogy chart for Don Juan?
Essay Topic 1
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Searching for power sounds like a difficult task for anyone to do, but Don Juan leads Castaneda on the quest nonetheless.
Part 1: Why is a search for power important for Castaneda to learn in his studies?
Part 2: Why do you think the search for power is such an unpredictable experience?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda already has power or does he have to search for it outside of himself? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Essay Topic 3
The different images of Don Juan confuse the men who see him shift from one image to the next as the men relate their stories to each other.
Part 1: What do you think the significance is of each of the costumes that Don Juan seems to wear?
Part 2: Why do you think the image was different for each man?
Part 3: Why do you think Castaneda is convinced that his view was the right one?
This section contains 1,987 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)