|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda that one has to live like a ___________ in order to set traps.
2. Castaneda believes his father was __________ because he never carried through any plan.
3. Don Juan states that when one has no personal history, no _____________ are needed anymore.
4. Don Juan does not believe that Castaneda is trying to ___________. He believes Castaneda's life is just as bad as when they met.
5. What kind of song does Don Juan begin to hum as he talks about the idea that one of them must change?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan's intimidating glance cause Castaneda to do before he approaches him again?
2. Don Juan shares something about the crow cawing, something that surprised it about its cawing - what surprised him?
3. When Castaneda goes to visit Don Juan in December of 1960, what question does he ask Don Juan upon his arrival?
4. What does Castaneda think of the way that Don Juan lives?
5. What is the point of the loud siren sounds that Don Juan begins to make at Castaneda?
6. When the wind makes itself known to the men, what is the only way it seems to be able to die down?
7. How does Don Juan respond to the statement by Castaneda that he is a Yaqui Indian and he cannot deny that?
8. The idea that Castaneda seems to be a 'chosen man' perplexes Don Juan, but what does it mean Don Juan needs to do?
9. What does Don Juan instruct Castaneda to do when they are hiking and Castaneda just wants to rest?
10. What does Don Juan do with the five quails that the two men capture during the day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Juan is insistent that Castaneda must not want change because he doesn't seem to be changing much between their meetings.
Part 1: Why is it important to Don Juan that he see change in Castaneda?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda really wants to change himself? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can a person avoid changing? Why or why not? Isn't change just a natural process that doesn't need to be instigated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The goal of becoming a hunter is not what Castaneda planned to do when he decided to work with Don Juan for his school project.
Part 1: Why is becoming a hunter essential to Castaneda's success with Don Juan?
Part 2: What qualities make Castaneda a strong hunter? A weak hunter?
Part 3: What might the process of learning to be a hunter be a metaphor for in the two men's work together?
Essay Topic 3
The different images of Don Juan confuse the men who see him shift from one image to the next as the men relate their stories to each other.
Part 1: What do you think the significance is of each of the costumes that Don Juan seems to wear?
Part 2: Why do you think the image was different for each man?
Part 3: Why do you think Castaneda is convinced that his view was the right one?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)