|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an entity with a will of its own which Don Juan and Castaneda are trying to hide from?
2. Did Castaneda shoot the revered bird when it was in his line of sight?
3. Castaneda tells Don Juan that he is a _____________ and that cannot be changed.
4. What does Don Juan do when he tells Castaneda that he is always angry and righteous?
5. Don Juan tells Castaneda that his last girlfriend left him because he was too ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Castaneda goes to visit Don Juan in December of 1960, what question does he ask Don Juan upon his arrival?
2. Don Juan says that some people live happily because of one thing - what is this one state of mind?
3. What does Castaneda think of the way that Don Juan lives?
4. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
5. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
6. What does Don Juan reveal to be the true identity of the dog that Castaneda saw during his peyote experience?
7. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
8. What does Don Juan point out about the water rats they observe the entire morning?
9. What is Don Juan's explanation for the look he gave Castaneda when he first met him?
10. What is Don Juan's response to Castaneda's attempts to try to fill in a genealogy chart for Don Juan?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
The decision to meet with Don Juan is one that Castaneda does not make lightly. At the same time, it seems to be a decision he doesn't quite think through.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda choose Don Juan to work with in his book?
Part 2: Do you think Don Juan believes Castaneda to be a worthy student? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might Castaneda have done differently if he were to be able to redo his first meeting with Don Juan?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan is insistent that Castaneda must not want change because he doesn't seem to be changing much between their meetings.
Part 1: Why is it important to Don Juan that he see change in Castaneda?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda really wants to change himself? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can a person avoid changing? Why or why not? Isn't change just a natural process that doesn't need to be instigated? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,987 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)