|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda it is important that Castaneda not __________ him.
2. What does Don Juan begin to teach Castaneda to make as they are out with the animals in the morning?
3. How many animals do Don Juan and Castaneda catch by the end of the day?
4. When Castaneda asks Don Juan if he is being serious, Don Juan responds that he is being ______________.
5. What does Castaneda pull out that he wants to fill in with Don Juan while he is with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Castaneda think Don Juan is crazy, like his friend seems to believe?
2. What does Don Juan instruct Castaneda to do when they are hiking and Castaneda just wants to rest?
3. What would have happened if Don Juan had kept all of the quails they had captured?
4. The idea that Castaneda seems to be a 'chosen man' perplexes Don Juan, but what does it mean Don Juan needs to do?
5. What does Don Juan do when the percolator makes a loud noise in response to something Don Juan says?
6. What is so magical about a creature that cannot be tracked by ordinary means?
7. Don Juan shares something about the crow cawing, something that surprised it about its cawing - what surprised him?
8. What is Castaneda's response to Don Juan's question about why he was lying when they first met.
9. When Castaneda goes to visit Don Juan in December of 1960, what question does he ask Don Juan upon his arrival?
10. What does Don Juan's intimidating glance cause Castaneda to do before he approaches him again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The decision to meet with Don Juan is one that Castaneda does not make lightly. At the same time, it seems to be a decision he doesn't quite think through.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda choose Don Juan to work with in his book?
Part 2: Do you think Don Juan believes Castaneda to be a worthy student? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might Castaneda have done differently if he were to be able to redo his first meeting with Don Juan?
Essay Topic 3
The different images of Don Juan confuse the men who see him shift from one image to the next as the men relate their stories to each other.
Part 1: What do you think the significance is of each of the costumes that Don Juan seems to wear?
Part 2: Why do you think the image was different for each man?
Part 3: Why do you think Castaneda is convinced that his view was the right one?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)