|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to eat when he is sitting in the sunlight?
2. What time did the relative of Castaneda finally get up each day, causing him to never go swimming?
3. Don Juan tells Castaneda to lie between two _______ and to cover himself with branches.
4. Don Juan calls Castaneda a fool because this could be his last _______________.
5. Don Juan wants to know if Castaneda is thinking of a ___________ when he looks into his eyes.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Castaneda think of the way that Don Juan lives?
2. What is the benefit of Castaneda paying Don Juan for his services and for his lessons?
3. What does Don Juan do when the percolator makes a loud noise in response to something Don Juan says?
4. What does Don Juan have to say about the process of learning about peyote?
5. What is the point of the loud siren sounds that Don Juan begins to make at Castaneda?
6. Why does Castaneda think Don Juan is crazy, like his friend seems to believe?
7. What must Castaneda learn in order to know where to place the traps he is going to make?
8. What does Don Juan's intimidating glance cause Castaneda to do before he approaches him again?
9. When Castaneda goes to visit Don Juan in December of 1960, what question does he ask Don Juan upon his arrival?
10. Why is Carlos Castaneda seeking the lessons of Don Juan in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Assuming responsibility seems to be one of the first steps a person must take in the journey to self power and self awareness.
Part 1: Why is responsibility important to assume in one's life?
Part 2: Why is it important for Castaneda to learn more about responsibility?
Part 3: What might happen if Castaneda never assumed responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
Within the search for power, Don Juan tells Castaneda he must also be accessible to power, which seems to go against previous lessons in some ways.
Part 1: Why is it important for a person to be accessible to power, according to Don Juan?
Part 2: How does being accessible to power conflict with the idea of being less accessible? Can you have both in your life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the purpose of being accessible to power? What are the benefits to Castaneda?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)