|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ginzburg characterize the last group of women brought on board the ship?
2. What do both Ginzburg and Julia wonder?
3. When is the worse time for Ginzburg at the prison?
4. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
5. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
2. How does Ginzburg offer an act of forgiveness for the man who labeled Ginzburg a terrorist?
3. What does Dr. Pickwick insist upon in treating Julia and Ginzburg?
4. How does Ginzburg compare Kostik to Keyzin?
5. Upon what does Ginzburg reflect when she hears that Lenin's widow has died?
6. What is Julia determined to do and what does she save for the day?
7. What routine do Julia and Ginzburg maintain?
8. What happens when the Prison Governor comes to visit Ginzburg?
9. About what do the female prisoners disagree during their discussions on the train ride?
10. What range of sentences are the women whom Ginzburg meets given, and why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of oppression in Journey Into the Whirlwind. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with oppression? Why? What are some symbols of oppression? What events demonstrate oppression? What do the major people think of oppression?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Journey Into the Whirlwind. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of humanity in Journey Into the Whirlwind. Why are some people not considered human by the author? What is considered humane in Journey Into the Whirlwind? What evidence is there of inhumanity? How do the people react to inhumanity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful memoir?
2. Analyze and discuss Journey Into the Whirlwind based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Journey Into the Whirlwind is a successful memoir.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful memoir should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Journey Into the Whirlwind a successful memoir? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)