|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the women happy to do?
2. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book?
3. To whom does Ginzburg write?
4. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
5. What is Julia determined to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Julia and Ginzburg see a flower in the courtyard?
2. How does Ginzburg compare Kostik to Keyzin?
3. What does Ginzburg say about the ongoing political purges and how do some of the prisoners view the likely incarceration of some of those fallen under the most recent purges?
4. Upon what does Ginzburg reflect when she hears that Lenin's widow has died?
5. About what do the female prisoners disagree during their discussions on the train ride?
6. What happens when Ginzburg is taken to Magadan Infirmary?
7. Why does Vasily Petukhov decide to help Ginzburg survive?
8. What range of sentences are the women whom Ginzburg meets given, and why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky?
9. What routine do Julia and Ginzburg maintain?
10. What solution do Julia and Ginzburg find to reading in low light?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Journey Into the Whirlwind belongs to the memoir genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a memoir and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Journey Into the Whirlwind? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Journey Into the Whirlwind including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think Ginzburg reacts to uncertainty in her life? Use examples from Journey Into the Whirlwind and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)