Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
2. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
3. What does Maria Nimtsevitskaya give Ginzburg?
4. Where is Ginzburg sent to work?
5. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Journey Into the Whirlwind. Questions that Ginzburg most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Ginzburg' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Ginzburg' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface? Why or why not?
3. How often do you think memoir is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Ginzburg and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Journey Into the Whirlwind belongs to the memoir genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a memoir and a historical novel?
People are an important part of what makes Journey Into the Whirlwind interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Eugenia Ginzburg. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Stalin. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Julia. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)