Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
2. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
3. What does Maria Nimtsevitskaya give Ginzburg?
4. Where is Ginzburg sent to work?
5. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
Essay Topic 1
Journey Into the Whirlwind belongs to the memoir genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a memoir and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful memoir?
2. Analyze and discuss Journey Into the Whirlwind based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Journey Into the Whirlwind is a successful memoir.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful memoir should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Journey Into the Whirlwind a successful memoir? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of oppression in Journey Into the Whirlwind. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with oppression? Why? What are some symbols of oppression? What events demonstrate oppression? What do the major people think of oppression?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Journey Into the Whirlwind. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of humanity in Journey Into the Whirlwind. Why are some people not considered human by the author? What is considered humane in Journey Into the Whirlwind? What evidence is there of inhumanity? How do the people react to inhumanity?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)