|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women are sent from the prison _______________.
2. What can Ginzburg not believe in reflecting upon what has happened to herself and others?
3. What does Maria Nimtsevitskaya give Ginzburg?
4. What is familiar about the journey the women are making?
5. What is the Italian woman doing?
Essay Topic 1
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Eugenia Ginzburg.
2. What in Ginzburg's background may have helped her in writing Journey Into the Whirlwind? What may have influenced the way she depicts various people and scenes?
3. Do you think all of the events in a memoir are true? Why or why not? Give examples.
4. How is a memoir affected by memory? Is every memory a person has strictly accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Journey Into the Whirlwind belongs to the memoir genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a memoir and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Journey Into the Whirlwind? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Journey Into the Whirlwind including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think Ginzburg reacts to uncertainty in her life? Use examples from Journey Into the Whirlwind and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 2,695 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)