|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yaroslavsky do concening Ginzburg?
2. What eventually happens to Sagidullin?
3. What news does Ginzburg get one day in a singing message?
4. Where is Ginzburg taken?
5. What is Ginzburg told in the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Zinaida Abramova and how is she treated at the prison?
2. Who is Secretary Abdullin and what does he ask of Ginzburg?
3. Who are Ginzburg's new cell mates?
4. Who is Ginzburg's first cellmate at Black Lake?
5. Why does Ginzburg think things have been straightened out and what happens to throw her back into the midst of the purge?
6. Who is Garey Sagidullin and what does Ginzburg learn from him?
7. Where is Ginzburg being transferred and what is significant about the watch returned to her?
8. Who summons Ginzburg after Elvov's arrest; what do they want with her, and how does she respond?
9. When is Ginzburg arrested and where does she tell goodbye?
10. Describe Captain Vevers' behavior to Ginzburg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
People are an important part of what makes Journey Into the Whirlwind interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Eugenia Ginzburg. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Stalin. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Julia. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Journey Into the Whirlwind.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Journey Into the Whirlwind. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Journey Into the Whirlwind. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)