|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
2. What was Julia Karepova's career before imprisonment?
3. How does Ginzburg describe Stalin?
4. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
5. Where is Ginzburg put after her initial interrogations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Zinaida Abramova and how is she treated at the prison?
2. Who is Eugenia Semyonovna Ginzburg and why is she awakened early in the morning on December 1, 1934?
3. Who are some of Ginzburg's cellmates at Krasin Street Prison?
4. Who is Professor Elvov and how does he have bearing on Ginzburg's life?
5. What does one prisoner do and others follow that breaks up the horror of their situation momentarily?
6. How do the prisoners communicate in Krasin, and what disturbing piece of news does Ginzburg receive in one such communication?
7. Who is Garey Sagidullin and what does Ginzburg learn from him?
8. Who summons Ginzburg after Elvov's arrest; what do they want with her, and how does she respond?
9. Describe the interrogation of Ginzburg by Livanov.
10. What do Ginzburg and her husband decide to do for the school holidays and what does she say about the people who are at the same vacation spot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Journey Into the Whirlwind belongs to the memoir genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a memoir and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Journey Into the Whirlwind? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Journey Into the Whirlwind including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think Ginzburg reacts to uncertainty in her life? Use examples from Journey Into the Whirlwind and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Journey Into the Whirlwind. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Ginzburg chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the memoir. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Ginzburg chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Ginzburg's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Ginzburg use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)