|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lydia pray concerning Ginzburg?
2. Where is Ginzburg taken?
3. What might happen if Ginzburg makes any stops along the way to present herself for the arrest warrant?
4. How does Ginzburg view the hearings against her and others?
5. What has Ginzburg heard is an indication she is about to be shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Garey Sagidullin and what does Ginzburg learn from him?
2. What happens after Ginzburg is given a summation of her indictments?
3. Why does Ginzburg think things have been straightened out and what happens to throw her back into the midst of the purge?
4. Who are some of Ginzburg's cellmates at Krasin Street Prison?
5. Who are Ginzburg's new cell mates?
6. What do Ginzburg and her husband decide to do for the school holidays and what does she say about the people who are at the same vacation spot?
7. Who is Ginzburg's first cellmate at Black Lake?
8. Who is Professor Elvov and how does he have bearing on Ginzburg's life?
9. Describe Captain Vevers' behavior to Ginzburg.
10. How is Ginzburg's mother-in-law described and what does she advise Ginzburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Journey Into the Whirlwind belongs to the memoir genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a memoir and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Journey Into the Whirlwind is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Journey Into the Whirlwind? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Journey Into the Whirlwind including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think Ginzburg reacts to uncertainty in her life? Use examples from Journey Into the Whirlwind and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)