|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
2. What was Julia Karepova's career before imprisonment?
3. Why is Ginzburg's watch inaccurate?
4. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
5. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one prisoner do and others follow that breaks up the horror of their situation momentarily?
2. What happens after Ginzburg is given a summation of her indictments?
3. What is the "Conveyor Belt" interrogation method and how is it used on Ginzburg?
4. What does Ginzburg learn about her father and how does this seem to cause unwarranted punishment?
5. Upon what does Ginzburg reflect when she hears that Lenin's widow has died?
6. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
7. Why does Ginzburg think things have been straightened out and what happens to throw her back into the midst of the purge?
8. What happens when the prisoners are held in a transfer camp?
9. What does Ginzburg discover about the charges against her as she is traveling back to Moscow?
10. Who is Eugenia Semyonovna Ginzburg and why is she awakened early in the morning on December 1, 1934?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Journey Into the Whirlwind help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Journey Into the Whirlwind? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Journey Into the Whirlwind to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Journey Into the Whirlwind.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Journey Into the Whirlwind. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Journey Into the Whirlwind. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Journey Into the Whirlwind belongs to the memoir genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a memoir and a historical novel?
This section contains 3,237 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)