|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ginzburg characterize the last group of women brought on board the ship?
(a) As those suffering for their religious beliefs.
(b) As innocent peasants.
(c) As hardened labor camp refugees.
(d) As true criminals.
2. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
(a) The Soviet system.
(b) The prospects of an early release.
(c) The prospect of better conditions in the prison.
(d) The prospect of vindication.
3. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
(a) Seeing her husband among the prisoners.
(b) Having a bunk on the train.
(c) Being given a release.
(d) Receiving a long letter from her children.
4. What does Ginzburg write?
(a) A novel about her childhood.
(b) A chapbook of poetry.
(c) An appeal to the head of the Politburo.
(d) A treatise on the abuses of the Soviet system.
5. How are the sections divided up at the transfer camp?
(a) By gender.
(b) By region.
(c) By crimes.
(d) By age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ginzburg have in mind as she is writing her memoirs?
2. How is Julia and Ginzburg's existence described?
3. For how long is Ginzburg at Yaroslavl?
4. What does Ginzburg hear in the hall as her visitor leaves?
5. About what does Julia become optimistic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vasily Petukhov decide to help Ginzburg survive?
2. What happens when the Prison Governor comes to visit Ginzburg?
3. How does Ginzburg compare Kostik to Keyzin?
4. What happens when Julia and Ginzburg see a flower in the courtyard?
5. What range of sentences are the women whom Ginzburg meets given, and why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky?
6. How does Ginzburg offer an act of forgiveness for the man who labeled Ginzburg a terrorist?
7. How do Ginzburg and her mother write letters to each other in code and what is an example of one such letter?
8. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
9. Why is Ginzburg taken to see Nabob and what happens?
10. Who teaches the new prisoners how to fake their lumber quota?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)