|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the window fans in the cells shut off?
(a) To deprive the prisoners of fresh air.
(b) A worker accidentally blew that circuit.
(c) The electricity is down.
(d) The prisoners complained about the cold air blowing through the cells.
2. What is Elgen like compared to Kolyma?
(a) It is very small in comparison.
(b) The work is much easier.
(c) About the same.
(d) Much worse.
3. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
(a) 5-8 years.
(b) 20-30 years.
(c) 10-15 years.
(d) 1-4 years.
4. Who is Pickwick?
(a) The new prison Governor.
(b) A kind, elderly guard.
(c) The doctor who treats Julia and Ginzburg.
(d) A new prisoner.
5. What is crawling with insects?
(a) The halls and cells.
(b) Bad sugar Ginzburg bought from the prison commissary.
(c) The underground cell.
(d) The slop pails.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ginzburg sent to work?
2. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
3. How is Julia and Ginzburg's existence described?
4. What are the women happy to do?
5. The women are sent from the prison _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
2. What routine do Julia and Ginzburg maintain?
3. What does Ginzburg say about the ongoing political purges and how do some of the prisoners view the likely incarceration of some of those fallen under the most recent purges?
4. How do Ginzburg and her mother write letters to each other in code and what is an example of one such letter?
5. What small joy do Ginzburg and the other prisoners enjoy when the Black Maria is late?
6. What new rule is forced upon the prisoners and how do they react to the restriction?
7. What happens that causes Julia and Ginzburg to eat their hoarded supply of sugar and bread?
8. Upon what does Ginzburg reflect when she hears that Lenin's widow has died?
9. What gives the prisoners a moment of happiness and how do they share their goods?
10. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book and what does she find difficult to believe?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)