|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what do the female prisoners disagree?
(a) The need to "behave."
(c) The need for purges.
(d) The innate goodness of humanity.
2. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
3. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
(a) A pleasant but incompetent supervisor.
(b) An illiterate peasant.
(c) A devil.
(d) An angel.
4. What does Yaroslavsky open the cell window to give Ginzburg?
(a) A book.
(b) A note from the woman in the cell next door.
(c) Words of encouragement.
(d) A letter.
5. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
(a) A lawyer from Moscow.
(b) A guard who often whips prisoners.
(c) A doctor from Leningrad.
(d) The new prison camp director.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
2. What happens when Ginzburg exercises in her cell?
3. Who surrounds the women as they march to the camp?
4. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
5. When is Ginzburg freed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the prisoners are held in a transfer camp?
2. How does Ginzburg compare Kostik to Keyzin?
3. What routine do Julia and Ginzburg maintain?
4. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book and what does she find difficult to believe?
5. What is it like for Ginzburg in her cell at the prison?
6. What are some of the rules Ginzburg mentions as being cited on a paper hanging on the wall?
7. How do Ginzburg and her mother write letters to each other in code and what is an example of one such letter?
8. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
9. Who teaches the new prisoners how to fake their lumber quota?
10. Why does Vasily Petukhov decide to help Ginzburg survive?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)