|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ginzburg think they are doing that is causing the screaming?
(a) Getting ready to execute a prisoner.
(b) Hosing a prisoner down with freezing water.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) Forcing a prisoner to eat.
2. What does Kucherenko demand?
(a) The work quotas be lowered.
(b) The work quotas be raised.
(c) The women be given lighter duty.
(d) The prisoners be given better clothing.
3. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
(a) Seeing her husband among the prisoners.
(b) Receiving a long letter from her children.
(c) Having a bunk on the train.
(d) Being given a release.
4. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
(a) A pleasant but incompetent supervisor.
(b) An illiterate peasant.
(c) A devil.
(d) An angel.
5. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
2. Why does Ginzburg believe she was lucky not to have signed anything?
3. When is Ginzburg freed?
4. What happens when Ginzburg and Karepova are put in a cell together?
5. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ginzburg say about the ongoing political purges and how do some of the prisoners view the likely incarceration of some of those fallen under the most recent purges?
2. Why is Ginzburg taken to see Nabob and what happens?
3. Upon what does Ginzburg reflect when she hears that Lenin's widow has died?
4. What gives the prisoners a moment of happiness and how do they share their goods?
5. What happens when Ginzburg is taken to Magadan Infirmary?
6. About what do the female prisoners disagree during their discussions on the train ride?
7. What happens that causes Julia and Ginzburg to eat their hoarded supply of sugar and bread?
8. Why does Ginzburg waken one day to find Krivitsky standing over her?
9. What is Julia determined to do and what does she save for the day?
10. Why does Vasily Petukhov decide to help Ginzburg survive?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)