|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Ginzburg and the other prisoners no longer permitted to do?
(a) Write anything down.
(b) Anything alone.
(d) Talk among themselves.
2. Why does Ginzburg hide the fact that she is ill?
(a) She is afraid of the incompetence of the physicians.
(b) She does not want to be separated from her friends.
(c) She is afraid she'll be executed.
(d) She is not ill.
3. What does Polina Melnikova explain to the new prisoners?
(a) How to stay warm in the cold.
(b) How to cheat the quota system.
(c) How to find trees that have a weakness and can be cut more easily.
(d) How to make ice shelters.
4. About what is Ginzburg happy even after her horrible experiences?
(a) True Commuinsts are in power.
(b) Her mother was still alive when Ginzburg is released.
(c) She met so many wonderful people.
(d) She finds her husband alive and waiting for when she is released.
5. Who is Pickwick?
(a) The new prison Governor.
(b) A new prisoner.
(c) A kind, elderly guard.
(d) The doctor who treats Julia and Ginzburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Julia become optimistic?
2. What does Ginzburg say is at the base of the walls in her cell?
3. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
4. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
5. What is Julia determined to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Julia and Ginzburg see a flower in the courtyard?
2. What happens when the Prison Governor comes to visit Ginzburg?
3. Who teaches the new prisoners how to fake their lumber quota?
4. What does Ginzburg say about the ongoing political purges and how do some of the prisoners view the likely incarceration of some of those fallen under the most recent purges?
5. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
6. What happens that causes Julia and Ginzburg to eat their hoarded supply of sugar and bread?
7. What small joy do Ginzburg and the other prisoners enjoy when the Black Maria is late?
8. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book and what does she find difficult to believe?
9. How does Ginzburg offer an act of forgiveness for the man who labeled Ginzburg a terrorist?
10. What happens when Ginzburg is having a conversation with Zinaida Tulub?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)