|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polina Melnikova explain to the new prisoners?
(a) How to cheat the quota system.
(b) How to make ice shelters.
(c) How to stay warm in the cold.
(d) How to find trees that have a weakness and can be cut more easily.
2. What do the two women do at night instead of sleeping?
(a) Play cards.
(c) Have philosophical discussions.
(d) Create games to play.
3. To what does Ginzburg attribute her inability to distinguish one day from the next in the following year?
(a) Her instinct to survive.
(b) The lack of clean air and being ill.
(c) Her state of mind.
(d) The depressing atmosphere.
4. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
(b) Soviets in the nearby town.
(c) No one.
(d) Prisoners in Hut 7.
5. About what do the female prisoners disagree?
(b) The need to "behave."
(c) The need for purges.
(d) The innate goodness of humanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who surrounds the women as they march to the camp?
2. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
3. To whom does Ginzburg write?
4. What does Nabob sentence Ginzburg to do?
5. What is done over the next three days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ginzburg say about the ongoing political purges and how do some of the prisoners view the likely incarceration of some of those fallen under the most recent purges?
2. What happens when Julia and Ginzburg see a flower in the courtyard?
3. What solution do Julia and Ginzburg find to reading in low light?
4. How do Ginzburg and her mother write letters to each other in code and what is an example of one such letter?
5. Upon what does Ginzburg reflect when she hears that Lenin's widow has died?
6. Why is Ginzburg taken to see Nabob and what happens?
7. What new rule is forced upon the prisoners and how do they react to the restriction?
8. What happens when Ginzburg is taken to Magadan Infirmary?
9. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
10. What are some of the rules Ginzburg mentions as being cited on a paper hanging on the wall?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)