|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
2. What is Elgen like compared to Kolyma?
(a) Much worse.
(b) The work is much easier.
(c) About the same.
(d) It is very small in comparison.
3. To what does Ginzburg attribute her inability to distinguish one day from the next in the following year?
(a) The lack of clean air and being ill.
(b) Her instinct to survive.
(c) Her state of mind.
(d) The depressing atmosphere.
4. What can Ginzburg not believe in reflecting upon what has happened to herself and others?
(a) More people didn't die in the terrible conditions.
(b) It really could happen.
(c) She survived the horrors.
(d) She meets so many people who went through the same things she did.
5. What is crawling with insects?
(a) The slop pails.
(b) The halls and cells.
(c) Bad sugar Ginzburg bought from the prison commissary.
(d) The underground cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what format does Ginzburg write her memoir about her prison experiences?
2. About what do the female prisoners disagree?
3. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
4. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
5. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that causes Julia and Ginzburg to eat their hoarded supply of sugar and bread?
2. What is it like for Ginzburg in her cell at the prison?
3. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
4. What routine do Julia and Ginzburg maintain?
5. What new rule is forced upon the prisoners and how do they react to the restriction?
6. Why does Vasily Petukhov decide to help Ginzburg survive?
7. What happens when Julia and Ginzburg see a flower in the courtyard?
8. When is Ginzburg freed and what does she persist in believing in despite her life in prison?
9. Upon what does Ginzburg reflect when she hears that Lenin's widow has died?
10. What solution do Julia and Ginzburg find to reading in low light?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)