|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) Prisoners in Hut 7.
(b) No one.
(c) Soviets in the nearby town.
(d) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
2. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
(a) There is smoke in the cell blocks.
(b) Fresh air is the only thing that reminds the prisoners of the outside.
(c) There is a contagious flu going around.
(d) The cells are beginning to have a lot of mold in them.
3. To what task is Ginzburg assigned in Elgen?
(b) Felling timber.
(c) Quarry work.
4. Who surrounds the women as they march to the camp?
(a) Guards and dogs.
(b) Male prisoners.
(c) Peasant farmers.
(d) The countryside.
5. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
(a) Receiving a long letter from her children.
(b) Having a bunk on the train.
(c) Seeing her husband among the prisoners.
(d) Being given a release.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ginzburg hide the fact that she is ill?
2. What is Ginzburg allowed at Magadan Infirmary?
3. How are the sections divided up at the transfer camp?
4. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
5. What does Ginzburg learn at the end of June?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ginzburg and her mother write letters to each other in code and what is an example of one such letter?
2. What does Ginzburg say about the ongoing political purges and how do some of the prisoners view the likely incarceration of some of those fallen under the most recent purges?
3. What happens when Ginzburg is taken to Magadan Infirmary?
4. What range of sentences are the women whom Ginzburg meets given, and why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky?
5. About what do the female prisoners disagree during their discussions on the train ride?
6. What happens when the Prison Governor comes to visit Ginzburg?
7. What are some of the rules Ginzburg mentions as being cited on a paper hanging on the wall?
8. What happens when Ginzburg is having a conversation with Zinaida Tulub?
9. What is Julia determined to do and what does she save for the day?
10. What happens that causes Julia and Ginzburg to eat their hoarded supply of sugar and bread?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)