|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
(a) Being given a release.
(b) Seeing her husband among the prisoners.
(c) Having a bunk on the train.
(d) Receiving a long letter from her children.
2. Where is Ginzburg sent to work?
(b) Weaving coop.
(c) Farm fields.
3. Why do Ginzburg eat bread and a pound of sugar?
(a) They believe they are about to die.
(b) They have been cut to half rations.
(c) They don't want it to burn up in the fire.
(d) They have not been allowed to eat for several days.
4. What is Julia determined to see?
(a) Her grandchildren again.
(b) The New Year.
(c) Her children grow up.
(d) Her husband again.
5. What happens when Ginzburg and Karepova are put in a cell together?
(a) They blame each other for being a turncoat.
(b) They ration their speaking so as not to run out of things to say.
(c) They plot ways to escape.
(d) They talk for hours on end at end.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do the female prisoners disagree?
2. What is interesting about the prison library?
3. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
4. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
5. What do both Ginzburg and Julia wonder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What range of sentences are the women whom Ginzburg meets given, and why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky?
2. Why does Ginzburg waken one day to find Krivitsky standing over her?
3. What happens when the prisoners are held in a transfer camp?
4. What routine do Julia and Ginzburg maintain?
5. What does Dr. Pickwick insist upon in treating Julia and Ginzburg?
6. What is it like for Ginzburg in her cell at the prison?
7. What small joy do Ginzburg and the other prisoners enjoy when the Black Maria is late?
8. Why does Vasily Petukhov decide to help Ginzburg survive?
9. What is Julia determined to do and what does she save for the day?
10. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book and what does she find difficult to believe?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)