|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two women do at night instead of sleeping?
(a) Have philosophical discussions.
(b) Create games to play.
(c) Play cards.
2. What has Julia been saving?
(a) All the letters from her husband.
(b) Her commissary coupons.
(c) Butter and sugar.
(d) Her grandchildren's letters.
3. What is crawling with insects?
(a) The underground cell.
(b) The slop pails.
(c) The halls and cells.
(d) Bad sugar Ginzburg bought from the prison commissary.
4. What does Maria Nimtsevitskaya give Ginzburg?
(a) A letter from Ginzburg's husband.
(b) A wool jacket.
(c) A new pair of shoes.
(d) A bottle of multi-vitamins.
5. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
(a) The library is reopened.
(b) They are allowed weekly visitors.
(c) They receive reductions in their sentences for good behavior.
(d) They are allowed monthly visitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Ginzburg's parents spend in prison?
2. Why are Ginzburg and the others put in punishment cells?
3. Who puts on a show for the camp?
4. About what is Ginzburg happy even after her horrible experiences?
5. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ginzburg waken one day to find Krivitsky standing over her?
2. Who teaches the new prisoners how to fake their lumber quota?
3. What does Dr. Pickwick insist upon in treating Julia and Ginzburg?
4. What does Ginzburg say about the ongoing political purges and how do some of the prisoners view the likely incarceration of some of those fallen under the most recent purges?
5. How do Ginzburg and her mother write letters to each other in code and what is an example of one such letter?
6. What happens when Julia and Ginzburg see a flower in the courtyard?
7. What happens when the prisoners are held in a transfer camp?
8. What are some of the rules Ginzburg mentions as being cited on a paper hanging on the wall?
9. What happens that causes Julia and Ginzburg to eat their hoarded supply of sugar and bread?
10. What happens when Ginzburg is taken to Magadan Infirmary?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)