|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(b) She is shot.
(c) She is put in solitary confinement.
(d) She is whipped.
2. Who is Milda?
(a) A young, German opera singer.
(b) An elderly Latvian woman.
(c) One of the female guards.
(d) A prisoner who is in there because the family she worked for were arrested.
3. Why is Ginzburg summoned to a Party meeting?
(a) For missing two meetings in a row when she was ill.
(b) For failing to denouce Trotsky strenuously enough in a recent lecture.
(c) For having a book in her home that was published outside of Russia.
(d) For not denouncing Elvov.
4. Why is Ginzburg sent home?
(a) To settle her personal affairs.
(b) To await her sentence.
(c) The charges were held in abeyance.
(d) The charges against her were dropped.
5. How old is the youngest woman in the cell with Ginzburg?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the maximum penalty for the crimes with which Ginzburg is charged?
2. In what year does Professor Elvov visit Ginzburg?
3. Why does a Chinese prisoner laugh one day during head count?
4. Why is Ginzburg's watch inaccurate?
5. Who summons Ginzburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one prisoner do and others follow that breaks up the horror of their situation momentarily?
2. Describe the interrogation of Ginzburg by Livanov.
3. Who is Garey Sagidullin and what does Ginzburg learn from him?
4. Who are some of Ginzburg's cellmates at Krasin Street Prison?
5. What is mentioned about the Red Tatary and why does Ginzburg threaten one prisoner in French?
6. To where is Ginzburg's case referred, and what is significant about that fact?
7. How is Ginzburg's mother-in-law described and what does she advise Ginzburg?
8. What does a friendly soldier tell Ginzburg on her way back to Butyrki after her trial?
9. Where is Ginzburg taken and what does she remember after seeing the place?
10. Who is Professor Elvov and how does he have bearing on Ginzburg's life?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)