|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Vevers described?
(a) Cold and calculating.
2. Who is Lyama Shepel?
(a) Ginzburg's family servant.
(b) A cook at the prison.
(c) Ginzburg's cell mate.
(d) One of the interrogators.
3. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
(a) A series on the famous writers of Russia.
(b) A series on the fall of Czar Nicholas II.
(c) A series on the history of the Communist Party.
(d) A series on the famous painters of Russia.
4. What do Ginzburg, Rimma, Ira and Julia discover?
(a) They are bonding over the stress of prison.
(b) They are the only women transferred to Moscow.
(c) They have one thing in common that may have led to their arrests.
(d) They are all unwilling to compromise their beliefs.
5. Where did Lyama's family work?
(a) They were nomadic people.
(b) In the Moscow military supply system.
(c) On the Chinese-Far Eastern Railway.
(d) On the Far-East Power System.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Garey Sagidullin?
2. For how long does this form of interrogation last?
3. Why does Ginzburg pass out?
4. Why is Ginzburg happy after her trial?
5. How old is Elvov when he visits Ginzburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Zinaida Abramova and how is she treated at the prison?
2. What is it like for Ginzburg in her cell at the prison?
3. What does Ginzburg learn about her father and how does this seem to cause unwarranted punishment?
4. What range of sentences are the women whom Ginzburg meets given, and why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky?
5. How do Ginzburg and her mother write letters to each other in code and what is an example of one such letter?
6. Who teaches the new prisoners how to fake their lumber quota?
7. Where is Ginzburg taken and what does she remember after seeing the place?
8. How do the prisoners communicate in Krasin, and what disturbing piece of news does Ginzburg receive in one such communication?
9. What happens when the prisoners are held in a transfer camp?
10. Why does Ginzburg think things have been straightened out and what happens to throw her back into the midst of the purge?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)