|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is whipped.
(c) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(d) She is put in solitary confinement.
2. How does Pitkovskaya commit suicide?
(a) She hangs herself.
(b) She drinks acid.
(c) She shoots herself.
(d) She sets herself on fire.
3. To what does Ginzburg attribute her not signing anything that was false?
(a) She wanted to be a good example for other Party members who are falsely accused.
(b) She wanted to be a good example for her children.
(c) She had a spiritual strength.
(d) The more brutal means of interrogations were not yet used.
4. What has Ginzburg heard is an indication she is about to be shot?
(a) The nicer the prison the more likely one is to die soon.
(b) She is given all her possesions back.
(c) She is put into a single cell with a real bed.
(d) She is made to sign papers that she is not allowed to read.
5. Who is Yefrem?
(a) A driver of the Black Maria.
(b) A secret police guard.
(c) A man who offers the prisoners some food when the truck is stopped.
(d) One of Ginzburg's former students.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nina in prison?
2. Who agonizes over the hearing on Ginzburg?
3. How does Stalin label sections of the book that Elvov writes?
4. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
5. What does Avodotya Aksyonova advise Ginzburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra Alexandrovna advise Ginzburg?
2. What is the "Conveyor Belt" interrogation method and how is it used on Ginzburg?
3. What is mentioned about the Red Tatary and why does Ginzburg threaten one prisoner in French?
4. Who is Ginzburg's first cellmate at Black Lake?
5. How is Ginzburg's situation changed on Red Army Day?
6. Who is Garey Sagidullin and what does Ginzburg learn from him?
7. Describe the interrogation of Ginzburg by Livanov.
8. What happens after Ginzburg is given a summation of her indictments?
9. Where is Ginzburg being transferred and what is significant about the watch returned to her?
10. How do the prisoners communicate in Krasin, and what disturbing piece of news does Ginzburg receive in one such communication?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)