|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Ginzburg's new prison described?
(a) Clean and quiet.
(b) Noisy and filthy.
(c) Newly built.
2. What does Tsarevsky say about Elvov?
(a) He has confessed against Ginzburg.
(b) He has confessed to participating in a plot against Stalin.
(c) He has said Ginzburg contacted him about killing another party member.
(d) He has killed himself.
3. What is the ultimate outcome of the party meeting?
(a) Ginzbug is reprimanded, but it is later canceled.
(b) Ginzburg is told she can give no more public lectures for two years.
(c) Ginzburg's status is lowered at the University.
(d) Ginzburg must submit a vociferously-worded condemnation of Trotsky.
4. Why does a Chinese prisoner laugh one day during head count?
(a) One prisoner is missing a leg and says he should only count as 1/2 a person.
(b) One warden has trouble counting past twenty.
(c) The warden trips over a threshold.
(d) One warden continually miscounts the prisoners.
5. Why does Pitkovskaya condemn her husband?
(a) He beat her all the time.
(b) He was going to make up lies about her involvement with Elvov.
(c) She loves the Party more than she loves him.
(d) He was embezzling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ginzburg happy after her trial?
2. What do the wardens do for counting prisoners?
3. How does Stalin label sections of the book that Elvov writes?
4. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
5. Where did Lyama's family work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ginzburg's first cellmate at Black Lake?
2. Who is Marya Dogadkina and how is she described?
3. What routine do Julia and Ginzburg maintain?
4. What happens when Ginzburg is taken to Magadan Infirmary?
5. Who is Secretary Abdullin and what does he ask of Ginzburg?
6. What range of sentences are the women whom Ginzburg meets given, and why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky?
7. When is Ginzburg arrested and where does she tell goodbye?
8. Who teaches the new prisoners how to fake their lumber quota?
9. What does one prisoner do and others follow that breaks up the horror of their situation momentarily?
10. What is mentioned about the Red Tatary and why does Ginzburg threaten one prisoner in French?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)