|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ultimate outcome of the party meeting?
(a) Ginzburg is told she can give no more public lectures for two years.
(b) Ginzburg's status is lowered at the University.
(c) Ginzbug is reprimanded, but it is later canceled.
(d) Ginzburg must submit a vociferously-worded condemnation of Trotsky.
2. Who is Yefrem?
(a) A driver of the Black Maria.
(b) One of Ginzburg's former students.
(c) A man who offers the prisoners some food when the truck is stopped.
(d) A secret police guard.
3. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) She is whipped.
(b) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(c) She is shot.
(d) She is put in solitary confinement.
4. What does Ginzburg's husband advise against her doing?
(a) Defending her initial statements.
(b) Publicly saying goodbye to her children.
(c) Stopping to tell her mother goodbye.
(d) Fighting the charges.
5. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
(a) A series on the history of the Communist Party.
(b) A series on the famous writers of Russia.
(c) A series on the famous painters of Russia.
(d) A series on the fall of Czar Nicholas II.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
2. Where is Elvov now according to Tsarevsky?
3. What incenses Ginzburg about how her answers are recorded?
4. Why does a Chinese prisoner laugh one day during head count?
5. What does Ginzburg notice is lacking where she is now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interrogation of Ginzburg by Livanov.
2. How is Ginzburg's mother-in-law described and what does she advise Ginzburg?
3. What happens on February 7, 1937, and why is one of Ginzburg's former students in particular agony about it?
4. What is mentioned about the Red Tatary and why does Ginzburg threaten one prisoner in French?
5. Who is Secretary Abdullin and what does he ask of Ginzburg?
6. Who is Zinaida Abramova and how is she treated at the prison?
7. To where is Ginzburg's case referred, and what is significant about that fact?
8. What does a friendly soldier tell Ginzburg on her way back to Butyrki after her trial?
9. Who summons Ginzburg after Elvov's arrest; what do they want with her, and how does she respond?
10. Who is Professor Elvov and how does he have bearing on Ginzburg's life?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)