|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ginsburg sad on September 1, 1935?
(a) She is no longer allowed to teach and it's the first day of school.
(b) It is the anniversary of when her young daughter had died.
(c) It is the anniversary of when her young son had died.
(d) It is the anniversary of when she first started teaching.
2. What does Tsarevsky say about Elvov?
(a) He has killed himself.
(b) He has confessed against Ginzburg.
(c) He has confessed to participating in a plot against Stalin.
(d) He has said Ginzburg contacted him about killing another party member.
3. Why is Ginzburg happy after her trial?
(a) She is not to be executed.
(b) She is released for time served.
(c) She receives three years but is allowed to serve in her home town.
(d) She is only given two years.
4. Who is Comrade Beylin?
(a) The new Chariman of the Bureau of Party Political Control.
(b) A doctor who gives Ginzburg a slip saying she was ill.
(c) The head of the local GPU.
(d) Stalin's son-in-law and head of the Foreign Propaganda office.
5. Who is Zinaida Abramova?
(a) A person placed in the prison as a spy.
(b) An old friend of Ginzburg's.
(c) The wife of the prime minister of Tartary.
(d) A torturer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
2. What eventually happens to Sagidullin?
3. What has happened to the entire government of Tartary?
4. Where is Elvov now according to Tsarevsky?
5. Why does Ginzburg pass out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Captain Vevers' behavior to Ginzburg.
2. Why does Ginzburg think things have been straightened out and what happens to throw her back into the midst of the purge?
3. What does one prisoner do and others follow that breaks up the horror of their situation momentarily?
4. Where is Ginzburg being transferred and what is significant about the watch returned to her?
5. How is Ginzburg's situation changed on Red Army Day?
6. What does a friendly soldier tell Ginzburg on her way back to Butyrki after her trial?
7. Where is Ginzburg taken and what does she remember after seeing the place?
8. Who is Garey Sagidullin and what does Ginzburg learn from him?
9. What is mentioned about the Red Tatary and why does Ginzburg threaten one prisoner in French?
10. When is Ginzburg arrested and where does she tell goodbye?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)