|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(a) Black Lake.
(b) She is released to go home.
(d) Manuch Prison.
2. What does Ginzburg do when she explodes in anger at this latest charge?
(a) Denounces her husband.
(b) Tries to kill herself.
(c) Denounces Yaroslavsky.
(d) Curses Stalin.
3. Who is Comrade Beylin?
(a) The head of the local GPU.
(b) Stalin's son-in-law and head of the Foreign Propaganda office.
(c) A doctor who gives Ginzburg a slip saying she was ill.
(d) The new Chariman of the Bureau of Party Political Control.
4. How old is the youngest woman in the cell with Ginzburg?
5. What do Ginzburg, Rimma, Ira and Julia discover?
(a) They are all unwilling to compromise their beliefs.
(b) They are the only women transferred to Moscow.
(c) They are bonding over the stress of prison.
(d) They have one thing in common that may have led to their arrests.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ginzburg sent home?
2. What does Lydia pray concerning Ginzburg?
3. Where is Ginzburg sent at the opening of Chapter 19?
4. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
5. How long after her hearing is Ginzburg arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ginzburg discover about the charges against her as she is traveling back to Moscow?
2. Who is Garey Sagidullin and what does Ginzburg learn from him?
3. Where is Ginzburg taken and what does she remember after seeing the place?
4. Who is Professor Elvov and how does he have bearing on Ginzburg's life?
5. Who summons Ginzburg after Elvov's arrest; what do they want with her, and how does she respond?
6. Who is Zinaida Abramova and how is she treated at the prison?
7. Where is Ginzburg being transferred and what is significant about the watch returned to her?
8. Describe the interrogation of Ginzburg by Livanov.
9. What happens after Ginzburg is given a summation of her indictments?
10. What does Ira ask Tsarevsky to do as she and others are being transferred and what does his willingness to do so portend?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)