|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what do the female prisoners disagree?
(b) The need to "behave."
(c) The need for purges.
(d) The innate goodness of humanity.
2. What do the two women do at night instead of sleeping?
(a) Play cards.
(b) Have philosophical discussions.
(d) Create games to play.
3. What does Ginzburg think they are doing that is causing the screaming?
(a) Hosing a prisoner down with freezing water.
(b) She has no idea.
(c) Forcing a prisoner to eat.
(d) Getting ready to execute a prisoner.
4. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(a) Composing mental poetry.
5. What does Ginzburg hear in the hall as her visitor leaves?
6. What is Ginzburg's prison cell number at Yaroslavl?
7. About what is Ginzburg happy even after her horrible experiences?
(a) True Commuinsts are in power.
(b) She met so many wonderful people.
(c) She finds her husband alive and waiting for when she is released.
(d) Her mother was still alive when Ginzburg is released.
8. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
9. What happens when Ginzburg exercises in her cell?
(a) She slips on the stone.
(b) She gets sick from breathing the moldy air.
(c) She is told it is forbidden.
(d) She gets bad shin splints from the stone floor.
10. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) Soviets in the nearby town.
(b) Prisoners in Hut 7.
(c) No one.
(d) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
11. What is Julia determined to see?
(a) Her children grow up.
(b) Her husband again.
(c) Her grandchildren again.
(d) The New Year.
12. What does Ginzburg learn at the end of June?
(a) Her son has left the Soviet Union.
(b) Her mother had died.
(c) Her father has died.
(d) Her husband has been released.
13. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
(a) She is able to read and write fluently.
(b) She never cries out when he beats her.
(c) She resembles her son.
(d) She should already have been realeased.
14. What happens when Ginzburg and Karepova are put in a cell together?
(a) They ration their speaking so as not to run out of things to say.
(b) They plot ways to escape.
(c) They talk for hours on end at end.
(d) They blame each other for being a turncoat.
15. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
(a) They receive reductions in their sentences for good behavior.
(b) The library is reopened.
(c) They are allowed monthly visitors.
(d) They are allowed weekly visitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ginzburg attribute her inability to distinguish one day from the next in the following year?
2. Where is Ginzburg assigned?
3. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
4. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
5. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)