|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ginzburg believe are dying off or being killed?
(a) All her friends.
(b) Most of the original Party founders.
(c) Most of the men and women who have college degrees.
(d) Older, decent people.
2. To whom does Ginzburg write?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her lawyer.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
3. Whom does Ginzburg finally meet face-to-face?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mysterious "angel."
4. What do both Ginzburg and Julia wonder?
(a) If the new warden will be better.
(b) If their husbands are still alive.
(c) If they will make it out of prison alive.
(d) If their children are suffering.
5. From where is Tulub?
(d) The Ukraine.
6. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(d) Composing mental poetry.
7. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
(a) The woman who receives the shortest sentence.
(b) The only woman who is acquitted.
(c) The only woman who receives a fifteen year sentence.
(d) The only other woman who receives a ten-year sentence.
8. Why are Ginzburg and the others put in punishment cells?
(a) They sing while working.
(b) They talk too much among themselves.
(c) They gripe about the cold.
(d) They are not cutting enough trees.
9. What is the Italian woman doing?
(c) Praying the rosary.
10. Who surrounds the women as they march to the camp?
(a) Guards and dogs.
(b) Peasant farmers.
(c) Male prisoners.
(d) The countryside.
11. What happens when Ginzburg exercises in her cell?
(a) She is told it is forbidden.
(b) She gets sick from breathing the moldy air.
(c) She gets bad shin splints from the stone floor.
(d) She slips on the stone.
12. Why are Julia and Ginzburg put outside for an hour and a half?
(a) So the guards can contain the fire.
(b) So the other prisoners do not hear them complain.
(c) So the guards can hose down the cells.
(d) So they can get some Vitamin D from the sunshine.
13. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
14. What do the women become proficient at during the day?
(a) Communicating with other prisoners.
(b) Maximizing their exercise time.
(c) Convincing the guards to give them more priviledges.
(d) Sleeping in a sitting position.
15. What does Nabob sentence Ginzburg to do?
(a) To spend three days in the underground punishment cell.
(b) To move to a cell by herself and where talk to no one else.
(c) To not eat for a week.
(d) To hand over all her writing materials.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what format does Ginzburg write her memoir about her prison experiences?
2. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
3. What has Julia been saving?
4. What does Ginzburg write?
5. What are the women happy to do?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)