|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
(a) Receiving a long letter from her children.
(b) Having a bunk on the train.
(c) Seeing her husband among the prisoners.
(d) Being given a release.
2. From where is Tulub?
(a) The Ukraine.
3. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
(a) She never cries out when he beats her.
(b) She resembles her son.
(c) She should already have been realeased.
(d) She is able to read and write fluently.
4. What is done over the next three days?
(a) Good food is distributed.
(b) Re-trials for some prisoners.
(c) Medical inspections.
(d) Indoctrination begins.
5. What does Kucherenko demand?
(a) The work quotas be lowered.
(b) The work quotas be raised.
(c) The prisoners be given better clothing.
(d) The women be given lighter duty.
6. The women are sent from the prison _______________.
(a) To their homes.
(b) To a holding area.
(c) To board a line of trucks.
(d) To the train station.
7. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
(a) A physician.
(b) A physicist.
(c) A biologist.
(d) An historical novelist.
8. What is Julia determined to see?
(a) Her grandchildren again.
(b) The New Year.
(c) Her children grow up.
(d) Her husband again.
9. What does Ginzburg hear in the hall as her visitor leaves?
10. What has Julia been saving?
(a) All the letters from her husband.
(b) Butter and sugar.
(c) Her grandchildren's letters.
(d) Her commissary coupons.
11. Who is Angelina Klimenko?
(a) A nurse who used to work in the fields as a peasant.
(b) A physician and the wife of a secret police investigator.
(c) A prison guard.
(d) A secret police investigator.
12. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
(a) A snake.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A cat.
(d) A flower.
13. What happens to what they see?
(a) A guard destroys it.
(b) A hawk grabs it.
(c) It falls through the drain.
(d) A guard kills it.
14. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
(a) May, 1937.
(b) July, 1939.
(c) November, 1939.
(d) July, 1936.
15. Why are Ginzburg and the others put in punishment cells?
(a) They talk too much among themselves.
(b) They are not cutting enough trees.
(c) They sing while working.
(d) They gripe about the cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ginzburg finally meet face-to-face?
2. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
3. What does Ginzburg write?
4. What does Yaroslavsky open the cell window to give Ginzburg?
5. When is Ginzburg freed?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)