|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
(a) A biologist.
(b) An historical novelist.
(c) A physicist.
(d) A physician.
2. About what is Ginzburg happy even after her horrible experiences?
(a) She finds her husband alive and waiting for when she is released.
(b) Her mother was still alive when Ginzburg is released.
(c) True Commuinsts are in power.
(d) She met so many wonderful people.
3. How long do Ginzburg's parents spend in prison?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five years.
(c) Almost a year.
(d) Two years.
4. What are the women happy to do?
(a) Cook meals in the kitchen after the cook dies.
(b) Help cut each other's hair.
(c) Clean up the prison grounds for a chance to be outside.
(d) Share what they each have.
5. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
(a) The prospects of an early release.
(b) The prospect of vindication.
(c) The Soviet system.
(d) The prospect of better conditions in the prison.
6. What are the prisoners told to do before being transferred?
(a) To write and let their families know they are being transferred.
(b) To submit to a lice examination.
(c) To leave all their possessions behind in their cells.
(d) To wash and pair off.
7. The women are sent from the prison _______________.
(a) To the train station.
(b) To board a line of trucks.
(c) To a holding area.
(d) To their homes.
8. Who does Ginzburg believe are dying off or being killed?
(a) Older, decent people.
(b) Most of the men and women who have college degrees.
(c) All her friends.
(d) Most of the original Party founders.
9. Where is Ginzburg sent to work?
(c) Farm fields.
(d) Weaving coop.
10. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
(a) Fresh air is the only thing that reminds the prisoners of the outside.
(b) There is smoke in the cell blocks.
(c) The cells are beginning to have a lot of mold in them.
(d) There is a contagious flu going around.
11. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(a) Composing mental poetry.
12. How are the sections divided up at the transfer camp?
(a) By region.
(b) By gender.
(c) By crimes.
(d) By age.
13. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
(a) The only woman who receives a fifteen year sentence.
(b) The only woman who is acquitted.
(c) The only other woman who receives a ten-year sentence.
(d) The woman who receives the shortest sentence.
14. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
(a) A lawyer from Moscow.
(b) The new prison camp director.
(c) A doctor from Leningrad.
(d) A guard who often whips prisoners.
15. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
(a) She never cries out when he beats her.
(b) She should already have been realeased.
(c) She resembles her son.
(d) She is able to read and write fluently.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the worse time for Ginzburg at the prison?
2. Where is Ginzburg assigned?
3. What is familiar about the journey the women are making?
4. What does Ginzburg learn at the end of June?
5. Who puts on a show for the camp?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)