|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is crawling with insects?
(a) Bad sugar Ginzburg bought from the prison commissary.
(b) The halls and cells.
(c) The underground cell.
(d) The slop pails.
2. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
(a) May, 1937.
(b) July, 1939.
(c) July, 1936.
(d) November, 1939.
3. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(a) Composing mental poetry.
4. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
(a) The only woman who is acquitted.
(b) The only other woman who receives a ten-year sentence.
(c) The only woman who receives a fifteen year sentence.
(d) The woman who receives the shortest sentence.
5. Who is Pickwick?
(a) The doctor who treats Julia and Ginzburg.
(b) A kind, elderly guard.
(c) A new prisoner.
(d) The new prison Governor.
6. What has Julia been saving?
(a) All the letters from her husband.
(b) Her grandchildren's letters.
(c) Butter and sugar.
(d) Her commissary coupons.
7. What is different about the women in Hut 7?
(a) They are convicted murderesses.
(b) They are politically the highest group.
(c) They have more freedom than the others.
(d) They are under the greatest restrictions.
8. The women are sent from the prison _______________.
(a) To their homes.
(b) To a holding area.
(c) To board a line of trucks.
(d) To the train station.
9. Who is Yezhov?
(a) The new prison Governor.
(b) The former Commissar-General.
(c) A close advisor to Stalin.
(d) A Party organizer.
10. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her husband.
(c) The prison governor.
(d) The prison physician.
11. What is Ginzburg allowed at Magadan Infirmary?
(a) To help care for the patients.
(b) To receive letters from home.
(c) To eat better.
(d) To take baths.
12. To whom does Ginzburg write?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her mother-in-law.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her lawyer.
13. What language does Ginzburg know that helps her get an easier assignment?
14. What is familiar about the journey the women are making?
(a) They are each given two sets of good clothing.
(b) They have fairly decent food.
(c) It still has searches, meal routines and ration stops.
(d) There's good medical care.
15. About what does Julia become optimistic?
(a) They would be released soon.
(b) The new prison Governor would be more benevolent.
(c) She and Ginzburg would be transferred to a more humane prison.
(d) Her husband would get permission to visit her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Julia determined to see?
2. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
3. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
4. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
5. What does Ginzburg write?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)