|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
(b) Prisoners in Hut 7.
(c) Soviets in the nearby town.
(d) No one.
2. What do the women become proficient at during the day?
(a) Sleeping in a sitting position.
(b) Communicating with other prisoners.
(c) Maximizing their exercise time.
(d) Convincing the guards to give them more priviledges.
3. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
(a) July, 1939.
(b) November, 1939.
(c) July, 1936.
(d) May, 1937.
4. What does Nabob sentence Ginzburg to do?
(a) To hand over all her writing materials.
(b) To spend three days in the underground punishment cell.
(c) To not eat for a week.
(d) To move to a cell by herself and where talk to no one else.
5. What are Ginzburg to be allowed to do?
(a) Go outside every day.
(b) Work in the prison kitchen.
(c) Work in the prison library.
(d) Work in the Governor's home.
6. To which hut is Ginzburg assigned after leaving the infirmary?
7. What does Maria Nimtsevitskaya give Ginzburg?
(a) A new pair of shoes.
(b) A wool jacket.
(c) A bottle of multi-vitamins.
(d) A letter from Ginzburg's husband.
8. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
(a) The prospect of vindication.
(b) The prospects of an early release.
(c) The Soviet system.
(d) The prospect of better conditions in the prison.
9. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
(a) 5-8 years.
(b) 10-15 years.
(c) 1-4 years.
(d) 20-30 years.
10. What does Ginzburg hear in the hall as her visitor leaves?
11. What does Ginzburg write?
(a) A novel about her childhood.
(b) An appeal to the head of the Politburo.
(c) A chapbook of poetry.
(d) A treatise on the abuses of the Soviet system.
12. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
(a) The only woman who receives a fifteen year sentence.
(b) The only other woman who receives a ten-year sentence.
(c) The only woman who is acquitted.
(d) The woman who receives the shortest sentence.
13. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
14. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
(a) An angel.
(b) A pleasant but incompetent supervisor.
(c) An illiterate peasant.
(d) A devil.
15. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
(a) Lenin's widow's death.
(b) News of Lenin's son's death.
(c) Stalin's grave illness.
(d) Purge in the Party's ranks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ginzburg learn at the end of June?
2. What happens to what they see?
3. Who is Pickwick?
4. Who does Ginzburg believe are dying off or being killed?
5. Why are Julia and Ginzburg put outside for an hour and a half?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)