|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The prison governor.
(d) The prison physician.
2. Why do Ginzburg eat bread and a pound of sugar?
(a) They have been cut to half rations.
(b) They believe they are about to die.
(c) They don't want it to burn up in the fire.
(d) They have not been allowed to eat for several days.
3. What happens to what they see?
(a) A guard destroys it.
(b) It falls through the drain.
(c) A hawk grabs it.
(d) A guard kills it.
4. What does Nabob sentence Ginzburg to do?
(a) To hand over all her writing materials.
(b) To not eat for a week.
(c) To spend three days in the underground punishment cell.
(d) To move to a cell by herself and where talk to no one else.
5. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
6. What is Julia determined to see?
(a) Her children grow up.
(b) Her husband again.
(c) The New Year.
(d) Her grandchildren again.
7. Whom does Ginzburg have in mind as she is writing her memoirs?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandson.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her granddaughter.
8. Why are Ginzburg and the others put in punishment cells?
(a) They gripe about the cold.
(b) They are not cutting enough trees.
(c) They talk too much among themselves.
(d) They sing while working.
9. Whom does Ginzburg finally meet face-to-face?
(b) Her husband.
(d) Her mysterious "angel."
10. How does Ginzburg characterize the last group of women brought on board the ship?
(a) As those suffering for their religious beliefs.
(b) As true criminals.
(c) As innocent peasants.
(d) As hardened labor camp refugees.
11. What do the women become proficient at during the day?
(a) Maximizing their exercise time.
(b) Communicating with other prisoners.
(c) Sleeping in a sitting position.
(d) Convincing the guards to give them more priviledges.
12. What does Ginzburg think they are doing that is causing the screaming?
(a) Hosing a prisoner down with freezing water.
(b) She has no idea.
(c) Getting ready to execute a prisoner.
(d) Forcing a prisoner to eat.
13. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
(a) 5-8 years.
(b) 1-4 years.
(c) 20-30 years.
(d) 10-15 years.
14. How is Julia and Ginzburg's existence described?
(a) Fairly comfortable.
15. How long do Ginzburg's parents spend in prison?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five years.
(c) Almost a year.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ginzburg say is at the base of the walls in her cell?
2. What are the prisoners told to do before being transferred?
3. To what does Ginzburg attribute her inability to distinguish one day from the next in the following year?
4. Of what does Nabob accuse Ginzburg?
5. How are the sections divided up at the transfer camp?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)