|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do both Ginzburg and Julia wonder?
(a) If the new warden will be better.
(b) If they will make it out of prison alive.
(c) If their husbands are still alive.
(d) If their children are suffering.
2. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(b) Composing mental poetry.
3. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
(a) A doctor from Leningrad.
(b) A lawyer from Moscow.
(c) A guard who often whips prisoners.
(d) The new prison camp director.
4. What language does Ginzburg know that helps her get an easier assignment?
5. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book?
6. Why does Ginzburg hide the fact that she is ill?
(a) She is afraid of the incompetence of the physicians.
(b) She does not want to be separated from her friends.
(c) She is afraid she'll be executed.
(d) She is not ill.
7. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
(a) July, 1939.
(b) November, 1939.
(c) July, 1936.
(d) May, 1937.
8. What are Ginzburg and the other prisoners no longer permitted to do?
(b) Talk among themselves.
(c) Anything alone.
(d) Write anything down.
9. What does Kucherenko demand?
(a) The women be given lighter duty.
(b) The prisoners be given better clothing.
(c) The work quotas be raised.
(d) The work quotas be lowered.
10. Who is Angelina Klimenko?
(a) A nurse who used to work in the fields as a peasant.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) A physician and the wife of a secret police investigator.
(d) A secret police investigator.
11. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
(a) A cat.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A snake.
(d) A flower.
12. Where is Ginzburg assigned?
(a) To the laundry rooms.
(b) To the children's hospital.
(c) To the kitchen crew.
(d) To the camp library.
13. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
14. What is Elgen like compared to Kolyma?
(a) About the same.
(b) It is very small in comparison.
(c) Much worse.
(d) The work is much easier.
15. What happens when Ginzburg and Karepova are put in a cell together?
(a) They blame each other for being a turncoat.
(b) They plot ways to escape.
(c) They ration their speaking so as not to run out of things to say.
(d) They talk for hours on end at end.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
2. How long do Ginzburg's parents spend in prison?
3. What do the two women do at night instead of sleeping?
4. What does Ginzburg learn at the end of June?
5. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)