|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to what they see?
(a) A guard destroys it.
(b) A hawk grabs it.
(c) A guard kills it.
(d) It falls through the drain.
2. What does Ginzburg think they are doing that is causing the screaming?
(a) Hosing a prisoner down with freezing water.
(b) Forcing a prisoner to eat.
(c) Getting ready to execute a prisoner.
(d) She has no idea.
3. From where is Tulub?
(c) The Ukraine.
4. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
5. Of what does Nabob accuse Ginzburg?
(a) Buying more than her rations of things from the commissary.
(b) Hoarding food.
(c) Writing and passing notes to other prisoners.
(d) Singing in her cell.
6. To which hut is Ginzburg assigned after leaving the infirmary?
7. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) Prisoners in Hut 7.
(b) No one.
(c) Soviets in the nearby town.
(d) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
8. What are Ginzburg and the other prisoners no longer permitted to do?
(a) Talk among themselves.
(c) Anything alone.
(d) Write anything down.
9. Who surrounds the women as they march to the camp?
(a) Guards and dogs.
(b) Peasant farmers.
(c) Male prisoners.
(d) The countryside.
10. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A snake.
(c) A cat.
(d) A flower.
11. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
(a) A guard who often whips prisoners.
(b) A lawyer from Moscow.
(c) The new prison camp director.
(d) A doctor from Leningrad.
12. To whom does Ginzburg write?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her lawyer.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
13. What do the women become proficient at during the day?
(a) Sleeping in a sitting position.
(b) Communicating with other prisoners.
(c) Convincing the guards to give them more priviledges.
(d) Maximizing their exercise time.
14. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
15. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
(a) There is a contagious flu going around.
(b) Fresh air is the only thing that reminds the prisoners of the outside.
(c) There is smoke in the cell blocks.
(d) The cells are beginning to have a lot of mold in them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
2. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book?
3. What does Petukhov vow?
4. What is Ginzburg's prison cell number at Yaroslavl?
5. About what is Ginzburg happy even after her horrible experiences?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)