|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the worse time for Ginzburg at the prison?
(a) The house after supper before sleep.
(b) Upon waking.
(c) As she is told to go back inside after being out.
(d) When it is pitch black at night.
2. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book?
3. What does Polina Melnikova explain to the new prisoners?
(a) How to cheat the quota system.
(b) How to make ice shelters.
(c) How to stay warm in the cold.
(d) How to find trees that have a weakness and can be cut more easily.
4. Why does Ginzburg hide the fact that she is ill?
(a) She is afraid of the incompetence of the physicians.
(b) She does not want to be separated from her friends.
(c) She is not ill.
(d) She is afraid she'll be executed.
5. Who surrounds the women as they march to the camp?
(a) Male prisoners.
(b) The countryside.
(c) Peasant farmers.
(d) Guards and dogs.
6. What is Julia determined to see?
(a) Her husband again.
(b) Her grandchildren again.
(c) The New Year.
(d) Her children grow up.
7. Why are the window fans in the cells shut off?
(a) The electricity is down.
(b) A worker accidentally blew that circuit.
(c) The prisoners complained about the cold air blowing through the cells.
(d) To deprive the prisoners of fresh air.
8. What does Nabob sentence Ginzburg to do?
(a) To not eat for a week.
(b) To hand over all her writing materials.
(c) To move to a cell by herself and where talk to no one else.
(d) To spend three days in the underground punishment cell.
9. What do the two women do at night instead of sleeping?
(a) Create games to play.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Have philosophical discussions.
10. What does Ginzburg learn at the end of June?
(a) Her mother had died.
(b) Her son has left the Soviet Union.
(c) Her husband has been released.
(d) Her father has died.
11. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
(a) They are allowed weekly visitors.
(b) The library is reopened.
(c) They are allowed monthly visitors.
(d) They receive reductions in their sentences for good behavior.
12. What does Ginzburg say is at the base of the walls in her cell?
(a) Blood stains.
(b) Names and dates sculpted on the stone.
(d) Mementos of previous prisoners.
13. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
(a) The prison governor.
(b) The prison physician.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
14. What do both Ginzburg and Julia wonder?
(a) If the new warden will be better.
(b) If their husbands are still alive.
(c) If their children are suffering.
(d) If they will make it out of prison alive.
15. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
(a) Being given a release.
(b) Having a bunk on the train.
(c) Receiving a long letter from her children.
(d) Seeing her husband among the prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
2. What happens when Ginzburg exercises in her cell?
3. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
4. What does Yaroslavsky open the cell window to give Ginzburg?
5. What is different about the women in Hut 7?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)