|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
(a) The Soviet system.
(b) The prospect of better conditions in the prison.
(c) The prospects of an early release.
(d) The prospect of vindication.
2. To which hut is Ginzburg assigned after leaving the infirmary?
3. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
(a) The prison governor.
(b) The prison physician.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
4. What does Ginzburg's visitor tell her?
(a) Her children are well.
(b) She needs to eat.
(c) Her son is still very ill.
(d) She is having an appeal filed.
5. What are the prisoners told to do before being transferred?
(a) To write and let their families know they are being transferred.
(b) To submit to a lice examination.
(c) To leave all their possessions behind in their cells.
(d) To wash and pair off.
6. Who surrounds the women as they march to the camp?
(a) Peasant farmers.
(b) Guards and dogs.
(c) Male prisoners.
(d) The countryside.
7. What do the two women continue to hide?
(a) Their writings.
(b) Letters smuggled into them from their families.
(c) Notes from other prisoners.
(d) Fish bones and medicine.
8. What does Yaroslavsky open the cell window to give Ginzburg?
(a) A note from the woman in the cell next door.
(b) A book.
(c) A letter.
(d) Words of encouragement.
9. What has Julia been saving?
(a) Her commissary coupons.
(b) All the letters from her husband.
(c) Her grandchildren's letters.
(d) Butter and sugar.
10. What is Ginzburg's prison cell number at Yaroslavl?
11. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
(a) Stalin's grave illness.
(b) News of Lenin's son's death.
(c) Purge in the Party's ranks.
(d) Lenin's widow's death.
12. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book?
13. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
14. What does Ginzburg write?
(a) A treatise on the abuses of the Soviet system.
(b) A novel about her childhood.
(c) A chapbook of poetry.
(d) An appeal to the head of the Politburo.
15. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Angelina Klimenko?
2. Why does Ginzburg hide the fact that she is ill?
3. What do the two women do at night instead of sleeping?
4. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
5. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)