|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
(a) An angel.
(b) An illiterate peasant.
(c) A devil.
(d) A pleasant but incompetent supervisor.
2. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
(a) 1-4 years.
(b) 5-8 years.
(c) 10-15 years.
(d) 20-30 years.
3. What is different about the women in Hut 7?
(a) They are under the greatest restrictions.
(b) They are convicted murderesses.
(c) They have more freedom than the others.
(d) They are politically the highest group.
4. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(a) Composing mental poetry.
5. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
(a) The cells are beginning to have a lot of mold in them.
(b) There is smoke in the cell blocks.
(c) There is a contagious flu going around.
(d) Fresh air is the only thing that reminds the prisoners of the outside.
6. What does Petukhov vow?
(a) He will harass Ginzburg until she cries out.
(b) No prisoner will ever be released.
(c) He will get Ginzburg out on early release.
(d) Ginzburg will survive her prison term.
7. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) Prisoners in Hut 7.
(b) No one.
(c) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
(d) Soviets in the nearby town.
8. What happens when Ginzburg exercises in her cell?
(a) She is told it is forbidden.
(b) She gets bad shin splints from the stone floor.
(c) She slips on the stone.
(d) She gets sick from breathing the moldy air.
9. To whom does Ginzburg write?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her mother-in-law.
(d) Her lawyer.
10. Whom does Ginzburg finally meet face-to-face?
(a) Her mysterious "angel."
(b) Her husband.
11. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A snake.
(c) A cat.
(d) A flower.
12. What does Ginzburg write?
(a) A treatise on the abuses of the Soviet system.
(b) An appeal to the head of the Politburo.
(c) A chapbook of poetry.
(d) A novel about her childhood.
13. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
(a) The only woman who is acquitted.
(b) The woman who receives the shortest sentence.
(c) The only other woman who receives a ten-year sentence.
(d) The only woman who receives a fifteen year sentence.
14. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
(a) They are allowed monthly visitors.
(b) The library is reopened.
(c) They are allowed weekly visitors.
(d) They receive reductions in their sentences for good behavior.
15. What do the women become proficient at during the day?
(a) Convincing the guards to give them more priviledges.
(b) Sleeping in a sitting position.
(c) Maximizing their exercise time.
(d) Communicating with other prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
2. Why do Ginzburg eat bread and a pound of sugar?
3. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
4. How long do Ginzburg's parents spend in prison?
5. To what does Ginzburg attribute her inability to distinguish one day from the next in the following year?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)