|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vasily Petukhov notice when he sees Ginzburg?
(a) She never cries out when he beats her.
(b) She is able to read and write fluently.
(c) She resembles her son.
(d) She should already have been realeased.
2. How old is Ginzburg when she is writing this book?
3. What happens when Ginzburg exercises in her cell?
(a) She gets bad shin splints from the stone floor.
(b) She gets sick from breathing the moldy air.
(c) She slips on the stone.
(d) She is told it is forbidden.
4. What does Ginzburg hear in the hall as her visitor leaves?
5. What does Maria Nimtsevitskaya give Ginzburg?
(a) A letter from Ginzburg's husband.
(b) A wool jacket.
(c) A new pair of shoes.
(d) A bottle of multi-vitamins.
6. To what task is Ginzburg assigned in Elgen?
(a) Felling timber.
(d) Quarry work.
7. Why are Ginzburg and the others put in punishment cells?
(a) They gripe about the cold.
(b) They sing while working.
(c) They are not cutting enough trees.
(d) They talk too much among themselves.
8. Who is Angelina Klimenko?
(a) A prison guard.
(b) A secret police investigator.
(c) A nurse who used to work in the fields as a peasant.
(d) A physician and the wife of a secret police investigator.
9. What do both Ginzburg and Julia wonder?
(a) If they will make it out of prison alive.
(b) If the new warden will be better.
(c) If their husbands are still alive.
(d) If their children are suffering.
10. What are the women happy to do?
(a) Clean up the prison grounds for a chance to be outside.
(b) Help cut each other's hair.
(c) Cook meals in the kitchen after the cook dies.
(d) Share what they each have.
11. Why are the window fans in the cells shut off?
(a) To deprive the prisoners of fresh air.
(b) A worker accidentally blew that circuit.
(c) The prisoners complained about the cold air blowing through the cells.
(d) The electricity is down.
12. What happens to what they see?
(a) A guard kills it.
(b) A guard destroys it.
(c) A hawk grabs it.
(d) It falls through the drain.
13. How are the sections divided up at the transfer camp?
(a) By age.
(b) By gender.
(c) By region.
(d) By crimes.
14. Why does Ginzburg consider herself lucky as far as her sentence?
(a) The terrorist aspect of the charge was dropped or she might have received life.
(b) She could have been given as much as "Grandma" Nastya received.
(c) She received less than her husband.
(d) The communists had not started the mandatory twenty-five year sentences.
15. Why does Ginzburg believe she was lucky not to have signed anything?
(a) A woman who did so is executed.
(b) She might have been sent to a worse prison.
(c) She might have received a longer sentence.
(d) When Stalin is out of power, she might have been ostracized.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Ginzburg happy even after her horrible experiences?
2. Whom does Ginzburg finally meet face-to-face?
3. The women are sent from the prison _______________.
4. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
5. What are Ginzburg and the other prisoners no longer permitted to do?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)