|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
(a) 1-4 years.
(b) 5-8 years.
(c) 20-30 years.
(d) 10-15 years.
2. To what does Ginzburg attribute her inability to distinguish one day from the next in the following year?
(a) The depressing atmosphere.
(b) Her state of mind.
(c) Her instinct to survive.
(d) The lack of clean air and being ill.
3. What do the women become proficient at during the day?
(a) Sleeping in a sitting position.
(b) Convincing the guards to give them more priviledges.
(c) Communicating with other prisoners.
(d) Maximizing their exercise time.
4. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
5. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
(a) There is smoke in the cell blocks.
(b) The cells are beginning to have a lot of mold in them.
(c) Fresh air is the only thing that reminds the prisoners of the outside.
(d) There is a contagious flu going around.
6. Where is Ginzburg sent to work?
(a) Weaving coop.
(c) Farm fields.
7. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(b) Composing mental poetry.
8. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
(a) An historical novelist.
(b) A biologist.
(c) A physicist.
(d) A physician.
9. What happens when Ginzburg and Karepova are put in a cell together?
(a) They plot ways to escape.
(b) They ration their speaking so as not to run out of things to say.
(c) They talk for hours on end at end.
(d) They blame each other for being a turncoat.
10. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
(a) A snake.
(b) A flower.
(c) A cat.
(d) A turtle.
11. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) Prisoners in Hut 7.
(b) No one.
(c) Soviets in the nearby town.
(d) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
12. What does Polina Melnikova explain to the new prisoners?
(a) How to cheat the quota system.
(b) How to make ice shelters.
(c) How to find trees that have a weakness and can be cut more easily.
(d) How to stay warm in the cold.
13. What are the women happy to do?
(a) Clean up the prison grounds for a chance to be outside.
(b) Cook meals in the kitchen after the cook dies.
(c) Share what they each have.
(d) Help cut each other's hair.
14. Why does Ginzburg hide the fact that she is ill?
(a) She is afraid of the incompetence of the physicians.
(b) She does not want to be separated from her friends.
(c) She is afraid she'll be executed.
(d) She is not ill.
15. What does Ginzburg say is at the base of the walls in her cell?
(b) Mementos of previous prisoners.
(c) Blood stains.
(d) Names and dates sculpted on the stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is crawling with insects?
2. About what does Julia become optimistic?
3. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
4. Why do Ginzburg eat bread and a pound of sugar?
5. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)