|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two women continue to hide?
(a) Fish bones and medicine.
(b) Notes from other prisoners.
(c) Letters smuggled into them from their families.
(d) Their writings.
2. What helps Ginzburg sleep?
(b) Composing mental poetry.
3. What happens that brightens the prisoners' lives?
(a) The library is reopened.
(b) They receive reductions in their sentences for good behavior.
(c) They are allowed monthly visitors.
(d) They are allowed weekly visitors.
4. Why are the window fans in the cells shut off?
(a) The electricity is down.
(b) To deprive the prisoners of fresh air.
(c) A worker accidentally blew that circuit.
(d) The prisoners complained about the cold air blowing through the cells.
5. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
(a) The prospect of vindication.
(b) The prospects of an early release.
(c) The Soviet system.
(d) The prospect of better conditions in the prison.
6. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
7. From where is Tulub?
(d) The Ukraine.
8. About what does Julia become optimistic?
(a) The new prison Governor would be more benevolent.
(b) Her husband would get permission to visit her.
(c) They would be released soon.
(d) She and Ginzburg would be transferred to a more humane prison.
9. Whom does Ginzburg finally meet face-to-face?
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her mysterious "angel."
10. How long do Ginzburg's parents spend in prison?
(a) Almost a year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two years.
11. Why are Julia and Ginzburg put outside for an hour and a half?
(a) So the guards can contain the fire.
(b) So they can get some Vitamin D from the sunshine.
(c) So the other prisoners do not hear them complain.
(d) So the guards can hose down the cells.
12. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
(a) A physician.
(b) An historical novelist.
(c) A physicist.
(d) A biologist.
13. What is crawling with insects?
(a) The slop pails.
(b) Bad sugar Ginzburg bought from the prison commissary.
(c) The underground cell.
(d) The halls and cells.
14. About what do the female prisoners disagree?
(b) The innate goodness of humanity.
(c) The need for purges.
(d) The need to "behave."
15. In what month and year are Ginzburg and the others transferred?
(a) July, 1936.
(b) November, 1939.
(c) July, 1939.
(d) May, 1937.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ginzburg write?
2. What has Julia been saving?
3. Who is Yezhov?
4. To what does Ginzburg attribute her inability to distinguish one day from the next in the following year?
5. What does Maria Nimtsevitskaya give Ginzburg?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)