|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ginzburg exercises in her cell?
(a) She is told it is forbidden.
(b) She slips on the stone.
(c) She gets bad shin splints from the stone floor.
(d) She gets sick from breathing the moldy air.
2. What happens to what they see?
(a) A guard kills it.
(b) It falls through the drain.
(c) A hawk grabs it.
(d) A guard destroys it.
3. What is Ginzburg allowed at Magadan Infirmary?
(a) To help care for the patients.
(b) To eat better.
(c) To take baths.
(d) To receive letters from home.
4. Of what does Nabob accuse Ginzburg?
(a) Buying more than her rations of things from the commissary.
(b) Writing and passing notes to other prisoners.
(c) Singing in her cell.
(d) Hoarding food.
5. Where is Ginzburg assigned?
(a) To the laundry rooms.
(b) To the camp library.
(c) To the children's hospital.
(d) To the kitchen crew.
6. What can Ginzburg not believe in reflecting upon what has happened to herself and others?
(a) She meets so many people who went through the same things she did.
(b) She survived the horrors.
(c) More people didn't die in the terrible conditions.
(d) It really could happen.
7. Who is Angelina Klimenko?
(a) A nurse who used to work in the fields as a peasant.
(b) A physician and the wife of a secret police investigator.
(c) A secret police investigator.
(d) A prison guard.
8. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
(a) A pleasant but incompetent supervisor.
(b) An illiterate peasant.
(c) An angel.
(d) A devil.
9. What does Ginzburg learn at the end of June?
(a) Her son has left the Soviet Union.
(b) Her husband has been released.
(c) Her mother had died.
(d) Her father has died.
10. What is interesting about the prison library?
(a) Each book is only allowed to be checked out one time for one day.
(b) The books are all written by primarily English and American authors.
(c) They are stocked with books about God.
(d) There are copies of publicly-banned books.
11. What are the women happy to do?
(a) Cook meals in the kitchen after the cook dies.
(b) Help cut each other's hair.
(c) Clean up the prison grounds for a chance to be outside.
(d) Share what they each have.
12. When is the worse time for Ginzburg at the prison?
(a) Upon waking.
(b) When it is pitch black at night.
(c) As she is told to go back inside after being out.
(d) The house after supper before sleep.
13. What does Ginzburg say is at the base of the walls in her cell?
(a) Names and dates sculpted on the stone.
(c) Blood stains.
(d) Mementos of previous prisoners.
14. Why are the window fans in the cells shut off?
(a) The prisoners complained about the cold air blowing through the cells.
(b) A worker accidentally blew that circuit.
(c) To deprive the prisoners of fresh air.
(d) The electricity is down.
15. What do Ginzburg and Julia see in the courtyard where they are walking?
(a) A snake.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A flower.
(d) A cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two women continue to hide?
2. Who is Yezhov?
3. What do the women become proficient at during the day?
4. Why does Ginzburg believe she was lucky not to have signed anything?
5. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)