|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
(a) Purge in the Party's ranks.
(b) Lenin's widow's death.
(c) Stalin's grave illness.
(d) News of Lenin's son's death.
2. How does Ginzburg characterize the last group of women brought on board the ship?
(a) As hardened labor camp refugees.
(b) As those suffering for their religious beliefs.
(c) As innocent peasants.
(d) As true criminals.
3. About what do the female prisoners disagree?
(a) The need to "behave."
(b) The need for purges.
(c) The innate goodness of humanity.
4. What do the two women continue to hide?
(a) Notes from other prisoners.
(b) Their writings.
(c) Fish bones and medicine.
(d) Letters smuggled into them from their families.
5. What are the women happy to do?
(a) Share what they each have.
(b) Help cut each other's hair.
(c) Cook meals in the kitchen after the cook dies.
(d) Clean up the prison grounds for a chance to be outside.
6. Who is Angelina Klimenko?
(a) A secret police investigator.
(b) A physician and the wife of a secret police investigator.
(c) A prison guard.
(d) A nurse who used to work in the fields as a peasant.
7. Of what does Nabob accuse Ginzburg?
(a) Hoarding food.
(b) Buying more than her rations of things from the commissary.
(c) Singing in her cell.
(d) Writing and passing notes to other prisoners.
8. Whom does Ginzburg have in mind as she is writing her memoirs?
(a) Her grandson.
(b) Her granddaughter.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
9. With what are Ginzburg and Julia becoming disillusioned?
(a) The Soviet system.
(b) The prospect of better conditions in the prison.
(c) The prospects of an early release.
(d) The prospect of vindication.
10. Why are the window fans in the cells shut off?
(a) To deprive the prisoners of fresh air.
(b) A worker accidentally blew that circuit.
(c) The prisoners complained about the cold air blowing through the cells.
(d) The electricity is down.
11. What is different about the women in Hut 7?
(a) They are convicted murderesses.
(b) They have more freedom than the others.
(c) They are under the greatest restrictions.
(d) They are politically the highest group.
12. What makes Tanya Stankovskaya happy?
(a) Having a bunk on the train.
(b) Being given a release.
(c) Seeing her husband among the prisoners.
(d) Receiving a long letter from her children.
13. Who does Ginzburg believe are dying off or being killed?
(a) Most of the men and women who have college degrees.
(b) Older, decent people.
(c) All her friends.
(d) Most of the original Party founders.
14. What is the Italian woman doing?
(c) Praying the rosary.
15. What is Elgen like compared to Kolyma?
(a) Much worse.
(b) The work is much easier.
(c) About the same.
(d) It is very small in comparison.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what format does Ginzburg write her memoir about her prison experiences?
2. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
3. To which hut is Ginzburg assigned after leaving the infirmary?
4. What language does Ginzburg know that helps her get an easier assignment?
5. Why do Ginzburg eat bread and a pound of sugar?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)