|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The women are sent from the prison _______________.
(a) To board a line of trucks.
(b) To a holding area.
(c) To their homes.
(d) To the train station.
2. What is crawling with insects?
(a) Bad sugar Ginzburg bought from the prison commissary.
(b) The halls and cells.
(c) The slop pails.
(d) The underground cell.
3. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
(a) Her husband.
(b) The prison governor.
(c) The prison physician.
(d) Her mother.
4. Who is Vasily Petukhov?
(a) A lawyer from Moscow.
(b) A guard who often whips prisoners.
(c) A doctor from Leningrad.
(d) The new prison camp director.
5. Who is Angelina Klimenko?
(a) A nurse who used to work in the fields as a peasant.
(b) A physician and the wife of a secret police investigator.
(c) A prison guard.
(d) A secret police investigator.
6. How are the sections divided up at the transfer camp?
(a) By region.
(b) By age.
(c) By gender.
(d) By crimes.
7. What is Ginzburg's prison cell number at Yaroslavl?
8. What does Ginzburg's visitor tell her?
(a) Her children are well.
(b) Her son is still very ill.
(c) She is having an appeal filed.
(d) She needs to eat.
9. How does Ginzburg characterize Marya Dogadkina?
(a) A pleasant but incompetent supervisor.
(b) An illiterate peasant.
(c) A devil.
(d) An angel.
10. For how long is Ginzburg at Yaroslavl?
(a) A little over two years.
(b) About a year.
(c) Just a couple months.
(d) Her entire prison sentence.
11. What does Ginzburg think they are doing that is causing the screaming?
(a) Hosing a prisoner down with freezing water.
(b) Forcing a prisoner to eat.
(c) Getting ready to execute a prisoner.
(d) She has no idea.
12. Where is Ginzburg sent to work?
(c) Weaving coop.
(d) Farm fields.
13. What does Yaroslavsky open the cell window to give Ginzburg?
(a) A note from the woman in the cell next door.
(b) A letter.
(c) Words of encouragement.
(d) A book.
14. Whom does Ginzburg finally meet face-to-face?
(b) Her mysterious "angel."
(d) Her husband.
15. What is familiar about the journey the women are making?
(a) It still has searches, meal routines and ration stops.
(b) They have fairly decent food.
(c) They are each given two sets of good clothing.
(d) There's good medical care.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most of the women receive for sentences?
2. Who is Yezhov?
3. Whom does Ginzburg have in mind as she is writing her memoirs?
4. What is Julia determined to see?
5. What do both Ginzburg and Julia wonder?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)