|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours a day is Ginzburg confined to her cell?
2. What can Ginzburg not believe in reflecting upon what has happened to herself and others?
(a) It really could happen.
(b) She meets so many people who went through the same things she did.
(c) She survived the horrors.
(d) More people didn't die in the terrible conditions.
3. What does Ginzburg think they are doing that is causing the screaming?
(a) Forcing a prisoner to eat.
(b) Getting ready to execute a prisoner.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) Hosing a prisoner down with freezing water.
4. Who puts on a show for the camp?
(a) No one.
(b) Prisoners in Hut 7.
(c) Prisoners in Ginzburg's hut.
(d) Soviets in the nearby town.
5. Why are Julia and Ginzburg put outside for an hour and a half?
(a) So the guards can contain the fire.
(b) So the guards can hose down the cells.
(c) So they can get some Vitamin D from the sunshine.
(d) So the other prisoners do not hear them complain.
6. What does Polina Melnikova explain to the new prisoners?
(a) How to make ice shelters.
(b) How to stay warm in the cold.
(c) How to cheat the quota system.
(d) How to find trees that have a weakness and can be cut more easily.
7. From where is Tulub?
(d) The Ukraine.
8. Who is Zinaida Tulub?
(a) A physician.
(b) A physicist.
(c) An historical novelist.
(d) A biologist.
9. What is Elgen like compared to Kolyma?
(a) About the same.
(b) It is very small in comparison.
(c) Much worse.
(d) The work is much easier.
10. Whom does Ginzburg have in mind as she is writing her memoirs?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandson.
(d) Her granddaughter.
11. Who is Pickwick?
(a) The new prison Governor.
(b) The doctor who treats Julia and Ginzburg.
(c) A kind, elderly guard.
(d) A new prisoner.
12. Why do Ginzburg eat bread and a pound of sugar?
(a) They have been cut to half rations.
(b) They don't want it to burn up in the fire.
(c) They believe they are about to die.
(d) They have not been allowed to eat for several days.
13. Who comes to see Ginzburg?
(a) The prison physician.
(b) The prison governor.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
14. Why does Ginzburg believe she was lucky not to have signed anything?
(a) A woman who did so is executed.
(b) She might have received a longer sentence.
(c) She might have been sent to a worse prison.
(d) When Stalin is out of power, she might have been ostracized.
15. What do the two women continue to hide?
(a) Notes from other prisoners.
(b) Letters smuggled into them from their families.
(c) Their writings.
(d) Fish bones and medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the prisoners want the guards to open windows and other sources of fresh air?
2. What news does "Northern Worker" carry?
3. Who is the latest of the higher members of the Party to be imprisoned?
4. What is different about the women in Hut 7?
5. What does Yaroslavsky open the cell window to give Ginzburg?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)