|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ginzburg told about her husband?
(a) He has also been arrested.
(b) He has hired a good lawyer.
(c) He has disowned her.
(d) He is divorcing her.
2. What does Sagidullin think is the reason for the current purge?
(a) To get Stalin's cronies into all the important positions in the government.
(b) To trim the party, which had stopped being such an elite organization.
(c) To kill off anyone that might challenge Stalin.
(d) There does not seem to be a reason for it.
3. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(a) Lefortovo prison.
(b) The offices of the Moscow Secret Police.
(c) The Crimean Prison.
(d) The Warden's office.
4. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(b) She is released to go home.
(c) Black Lake.
(d) Manuch Prison.
5. Why is Nina in prison?
(a) Her brother denounced Stalin and Nina does not report him.
(b) Her mother said negative things about Stalin.
(c) Her boyfriend is in a conspiracy group.
(d) For failing to denounce someone who denounces Stalin.
6. Who is one person Zinaida Abramova says has been arrested?
(b) Her brother.
(c) The son of her best friend.
(d) Her next-door-neighbor.
7. What happens on Red Army Day?
(a) Ginzburg is released to go home.
(b) Ginzburg is tortured.
(c) Ginzburg is taken into a different office and is given the soft approach.
(d) Ginzburg is flogged.
8. What eventually stops this first round of the new type of interrogations?
(a) Ginzburg confesses and signs what they want her to sign.
(b) A new prisoner takes their attention away from her.
(c) Ginzburg blacks out.
(d) Ginzburg asks to speak to Elvov.
9. What does Ginzburg call her mother-in-law?
(b) Mrs. Aksyonnova.
10. Why do many people believe they are safe from arrest?
(a) They are not active in politics.
(b) They are loyal party members.
(c) They have been given medals from Stalin.
(d) They teach in very remote areas.
11. What is the so-called method when Ginzburg is harshly interrogated by uninterrupted interrogation with different interrogators?
(b) The gauntlet.
(c) The Stream.
(d) The Conveyor Belt.
12. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
(a) Old pipes rattling.
(b) No one knows.
(c) Screams from torturing going on.
(d) The rats gnawing on the pallets.
13. What is returned to Ginzburg?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her dentures.
(c) Her watch.
(d) Her papers.
14. How does Pitkovskaya commit suicide?
(a) She shoots herself.
(b) She hangs herself.
(c) She drinks acid.
(d) She sets herself on fire.
15. What happens after a period of regular interrogations?
(a) Ginzburg is shown her son being interrogated.
(b) Ginzburg is physically abused.
(c) The interrogations stop.
(d) Ginzburg is made to stay awake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Elvov now according to Tsarevsky?
2. How long does Ginzburg's trial last?
3. What does Milda encourage Ginzburg to do?
4. What does Lydia tell Ginzburg that God does?
5. Why is Ginzburg summoned to a Party meeting?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)