|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tsarevsky say about Elvov?
(a) He has confessed to participating in a plot against Stalin.
(b) He has said Ginzburg contacted him about killing another party member.
(c) He has killed himself.
(d) He has confessed against Ginzburg.
2. How old is the youngest woman in the cell with Ginzburg?
3. What does Yaroslavsky do concening Ginzburg?
(a) Hides evidence against her.
(b) Trumps up evidence against her.
(c) Denounces her.
(d) Tries to help her to flee the country.
4. How does Ginzburg describe Stalin?
(c) Ugly and repulsive.
5. What does Sagidullin think is the reason for the current purge?
(a) To trim the party, which had stopped being such an elite organization.
(b) To kill off anyone that might challenge Stalin.
(c) To get Stalin's cronies into all the important positions in the government.
(d) There does not seem to be a reason for it.
6. Why is Ginsburg sad on September 1, 1935?
(a) It is the anniversary of when her young son had died.
(b) It is the anniversary of when she first started teaching.
(c) It is the anniversary of when her young daughter had died.
(d) She is no longer allowed to teach and it's the first day of school.
7. What does Ginzburg consider as she is traveling back to Moscow?
(a) Denouncing her best friend.
(b) Forming a group to assassinate Stalin.
(d) Writing a condemnation of Trotsky.
8. What is the evidence that many people are being charged?
(a) The whole system is running 24 hours per day.
(b) The prison cells are overcrowded.
(c) The sounds of torture are everywhere.
(d) Food is scarce.
9. What form of communications does Ginzburg learn?
(b) Knocking on walls.
(c) A form of shorthand.
(d) Number codes.
10. Why is Nina in prison?
(a) For failing to denounce someone who denounces Stalin.
(b) Her boyfriend is in a conspiracy group.
(c) Her brother denounced Stalin and Nina does not report him.
(d) Her mother said negative things about Stalin.
11. What does Ginzburg call her mother-in-law?
(b) Mrs. Aksyonnova.
12. Who is Lyama Shepel?
(a) A cook at the prison.
(b) One of the interrogators.
(c) Ginzburg's family servant.
(d) Ginzburg's cell mate.
13. Why does Pitkovskaya condemn her husband?
(a) He beat her all the time.
(b) He was going to make up lies about her involvement with Elvov.
(c) She loves the Party more than she loves him.
(d) He was embezzling.
14. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) She is put in solitary confinement.
(b) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(c) She is whipped.
(d) She is shot.
15. What is returned to Ginzburg?
(a) Her dentures.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her watch.
(d) Her papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might happen if Ginzburg makes any stops along the way to present herself for the arrest warrant?
2. What is Ginzburg told about her husband?
3. What happens on Red Army Day?
4. What eventually stops this first round of the new type of interrogations?
5. To where has Ginzburg's case been referred?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)