|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Zinaida Abramova?
(a) An old friend of Ginzburg's.
(b) The wife of the prime minister of Tartary.
(c) A person placed in the prison as a spy.
(d) A torturer.
2. What does Lydia tell Ginzburg that God does?
(a) Watches over fatherless children.
(b) Triumphs in the end.
(c) Exacts vengeance.
(d) Punishes wicked doers.
3. Why is Ginzburg happy after her trial?
(a) She is not to be executed.
(b) She receives three years but is allowed to serve in her home town.
(c) She is released for time served.
(d) She is only given two years.
4. How does Stalin label sections of the book that Elvov writes?
(a) Very accurate.
(b) Full of errors.
5. How does Ginzburg describe Stalin?
(a) Ugly and repulsive.
6. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(b) Black Lake.
(c) She is released to go home.
(d) Manuch Prison.
7. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is put in solitary confinement.
(c) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(d) She is whipped.
8. What is significant about the date February 15, 1937?
(a) It is Ginzburg's last day to teach.
(b) It is Ginzburg's wedding anniversary day.
(c) It is Ginzburg's birthday.
(d) It is the day Ginzburg was imprisoned.
9. What does Yaroslavsky do concening Ginzburg?
(a) Trumps up evidence against her.
(b) Hides evidence against her.
(c) Tries to help her to flee the country.
(d) Denounces her.
10. Why is Nina in prison?
(a) Her mother said negative things about Stalin.
(b) Her brother denounced Stalin and Nina does not report him.
(c) For failing to denounce someone who denounces Stalin.
(d) Her boyfriend is in a conspiracy group.
11. What does Ginzburg consider as she is traveling back to Moscow?
(a) Denouncing her best friend.
(b) Forming a group to assassinate Stalin.
(c) Writing a condemnation of Trotsky.
12. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
(a) 1 day.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) 5 days.
(d) Three hours.
13. What do Ginzburg, Rimma, Ira and Julia discover?
(a) They are bonding over the stress of prison.
(b) They are the only women transferred to Moscow.
(c) They are all unwilling to compromise their beliefs.
(d) They have one thing in common that may have led to their arrests.
14. Who is Captain Vevers?
(a) The man who tries to be kind to Ginzburg in prison.
(b) The man who interrogates Ginzburg.
(c) The man who forces the interrogator to be humane when questioning Ginzburg.
(d) The head of the secret police in Moscow.
15. What has Ginzburg heard is an indication she is about to be shot?
(a) She is made to sign papers that she is not allowed to read.
(b) She is put into a single cell with a real bed.
(c) She is given all her possesions back.
(d) The nicer the prison the more likely one is to die soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alyosha?
2. Who is Milda?
3. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
4. What might happen if Ginzburg makes any stops along the way to present herself for the arrest warrant?
5. What does Ginzburg call her mother-in-law?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)