|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
(a) A series on the history of the Communist Party.
(b) A series on the famous painters of Russia.
(c) A series on the fall of Czar Nicholas II.
(d) A series on the famous writers of Russia.
2. Why is Elvov apologizing to Ginzburg?
(a) He is inaccurate in a quote from her.
(b) He is unable to help her identify two anonymous Stalin spies.
(c) Her association with him may be costly to her.
(d) He misunderstood one of her articles and cut it from the series.
3. Who is Zinaida Abramova?
(a) A torturer.
(b) The wife of the prime minister of Tartary.
(c) An old friend of Ginzburg's.
(d) A person placed in the prison as a spy.
4. How long after her hearing is Ginzburg arrested?
(a) One day.
(b) Eight days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Several months.
5. What does Avodotya Aksyonova advise Ginzburg?
(a) To go far away.
(b) To humble herself.
(c) To ask her friends to give her their endorsements.
(d) To ask her husband to denounce her.
6. What does Lydia tell Ginzburg that God does?
(a) Watches over fatherless children.
(b) Triumphs in the end.
(c) Punishes wicked doers.
(d) Exacts vengeance.
7. Who is Lyama Shepel?
(a) Ginzburg's cell mate.
(b) A cook at the prison.
(c) One of the interrogators.
(d) Ginzburg's family servant.
8. Who is Alyosha?
(a) Ginzburg's oldest son.
(b) The judge that sentences Ginzburg.
(c) Ginzburg's brother who disappears.
(d) Ginzburg's best friend who disappears.
9. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
(a) 5 days.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Three hours.
(d) 1 day.
10. What does Ginzburg's husband advise against her doing?
(a) Fighting the charges.
(b) Defending her initial statements.
(c) Stopping to tell her mother goodbye.
(d) Publicly saying goodbye to her children.
11. What is returned to Ginzburg?
(a) Her watch.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her dentures.
(d) Her papers.
12. How does Stalin label sections of the book that Elvov writes?
(b) Full of errors.
(c) Very accurate.
13. Who is Captain Vevers?
(a) The man who forces the interrogator to be humane when questioning Ginzburg.
(b) The man who tries to be kind to Ginzburg in prison.
(c) The man who interrogates Ginzburg.
(d) The head of the secret police in Moscow.
14. Why do many people believe they are safe from arrest?
(a) They have been given medals from Stalin.
(b) They are loyal party members.
(c) They are not active in politics.
(d) They teach in very remote areas.
15. How is Vevers described?
(a) Cold and calculating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who summons Ginzburg?
2. Where did Lyama's family work?
3. Where is Ginzburg taken?
4. What is Ginzburg told about her husband?
5. How does Pitkovskaya commit suicide?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)