|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is put in solitary confinement.
(c) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(d) She is whipped.
2. Who is Comrade Beylin?
(a) A doctor who gives Ginzburg a slip saying she was ill.
(b) Stalin's son-in-law and head of the Foreign Propaganda office.
(c) The head of the local GPU.
(d) The new Chariman of the Bureau of Party Political Control.
3. What might happen if Ginzburg makes any stops along the way to present herself for the arrest warrant?
(a) She could make things even more difficult for herself or loved ones.
(b) She might be shot.
(c) She might get an even harsher sentence.
(d) Her mother might become hysterical.
4. What is the so-called method when Ginzburg is harshly interrogated by uninterrupted interrogation with different interrogators?
(a) The gauntlet.
(b) The Stream.
(d) The Conveyor Belt.
5. What does Ginzburg observe when she arrives in Moscow?
(a) Her husband is here.
(b) The purges have been massive.
(c) Her son is here.
(d) Only the intelligentsia have been targeted.
6. What does Avodotya Aksyonova advise Ginzburg?
(a) To ask her husband to denounce her.
(b) To ask her friends to give her their endorsements.
(c) To go far away.
(d) To humble herself.
7. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 5 days.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Six weeks.
8. Why is Ginzburg's watch inaccurate?
(a) It has not been wound since she entered prison.
(b) She forgot to wind it sometimes in prison and only guessed at the time when resetting it.
(c) The dampness of the prison has rusted it.
(d) Its battery is run down.
9. What happens on Red Army Day?
(a) Ginzburg is taken into a different office and is given the soft approach.
(b) Ginzburg is released to go home.
(c) Ginzburg is flogged.
(d) Ginzburg is tortured.
10. Why is Ginzburg happy after her trial?
(a) She is released for time served.
(b) She is not to be executed.
(c) She receives three years but is allowed to serve in her home town.
(d) She is only given two years.
11. What has Ginzburg heard is an indication she is about to be shot?
(a) She is made to sign papers that she is not allowed to read.
(b) She is put into a single cell with a real bed.
(c) The nicer the prison the more likely one is to die soon.
(d) She is given all her possesions back.
12. What does Ginzburg's husband advise against her doing?
(a) Fighting the charges.
(b) Stopping to tell her mother goodbye.
(c) Defending her initial statements.
(d) Publicly saying goodbye to her children.
13. What does Milda encourage Ginzburg to do?
(a) To teach her to read.
(b) To rat on other prisoners.
(c) To stop up her ears with cotton.
(d) To sing when she wakes in the morning.
14. What eventually stops this first round of the new type of interrogations?
(a) Ginzburg blacks out.
(b) Ginzburg confesses and signs what they want her to sign.
(c) A new prisoner takes their attention away from her.
(d) Ginzburg asks to speak to Elvov.
15. What does Sagidullin think is the reason for the current purge?
(a) To kill off anyone that might challenge Stalin.
(b) There does not seem to be a reason for it.
(c) To trim the party, which had stopped being such an elite organization.
(d) To get Stalin's cronies into all the important positions in the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ginzburg describe Stalin?
2. Why is Ginzburg summoned to a Party meeting?
3. In what year does Professor Elvov visit Ginzburg?
4. What was Julia Karepova's career before imprisonment?
5. How does Ginzburg defend herself?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)