|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Ginzburg's trial last?
(a) Several days.
(b) 18 hours.
(c) 7 minutes.
(d) 10 hours.
2. Who is Comrade Beylin?
(a) A doctor who gives Ginzburg a slip saying she was ill.
(b) The head of the local GPU.
(c) Stalin's son-in-law and head of the Foreign Propaganda office.
(d) The new Chariman of the Bureau of Party Political Control.
3. How does Ginzburg defend herself?
(a) By saying she was in the hospital and has a note to prove it.
(b) By saying that her lecture was not about Trotsky.
(c) By saying that Stalin's deputy of foreign affairs gave her the book.
(d) By saying no one in her area has denounced Elvov either.
4. What is significant about the date February 15, 1937?
(a) It is Ginzburg's birthday.
(b) It is Ginzburg's last day to teach.
(c) It is the day Ginzburg was imprisoned.
(d) It is Ginzburg's wedding anniversary day.
5. What does Ginzburg call her mother-in-law?
(d) Mrs. Aksyonnova.
6. What happens on Red Army Day?
(a) Ginzburg is released to go home.
(b) Ginzburg is taken into a different office and is given the soft approach.
(c) Ginzburg is tortured.
(d) Ginzburg is flogged.
7. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(a) The Warden's office.
(b) The Crimean Prison.
(c) Lefortovo prison.
(d) The offices of the Moscow Secret Police.
8. What does Lydia tell Ginzburg that God does?
(a) Watches over fatherless children.
(b) Punishes wicked doers.
(c) Triumphs in the end.
(d) Exacts vengeance.
9. What does Ginzburg consider as she is traveling back to Moscow?
(a) Forming a group to assassinate Stalin.
(b) Denouncing her best friend.
(d) Writing a condemnation of Trotsky.
10. What do the wardens do for counting prisoners?
(a) They have each prisoner write his/her name on a piece of paper.
(b) They have the prisoners line up on their name in a hallway.
(c) They count pairs of feet.
(d) They count tin cups.
11. What is the evidence that many people are being charged?
(a) The whole system is running 24 hours per day.
(b) The prison cells are overcrowded.
(c) Food is scarce.
(d) The sounds of torture are everywhere.
12. What was Julia Karepova's career before imprisonment?
(c) Physics Professor.
13. For how long does this form of interrogation last?
(a) 7 days.
(b) A few hours.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) 3 days.
14. How old is Elvov when he visits Ginzburg?
15. Where did Lyama's family work?
(a) On the Far-East Power System.
(b) In the Moscow military supply system.
(c) On the Chinese-Far Eastern Railway.
(d) They were nomadic people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ginzburg summoned to a Party meeting?
2. Why does Pitkovskaya condemn her husband?
3. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
4. How does Ginzburg describe Stalin?
5. What does Ginzburg observe when she arrives in Moscow?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)