|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What eventually happens to Sagidullin?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is sentenced to death, which is commuted to life in prison.
(c) He is released.
(d) He is sent to Sibera for six years.
2. Why does Ginzburg pass out?
(a) The heat.
(b) The beatings.
(c) When she is choked by an interrogator.
(d) The lack of decent food.
3. What was Julia Karepova's career before imprisonment?
(b) Physics Professor.
4. What does Lydia tell Ginzburg that God does?
(a) Watches over fatherless children.
(b) Exacts vengeance.
(c) Triumphs in the end.
(d) Punishes wicked doers.
5. Who is Captain Vevers?
(a) The man who forces the interrogator to be humane when questioning Ginzburg.
(b) The man who tries to be kind to Ginzburg in prison.
(c) The man who interrogates Ginzburg.
(d) The head of the secret police in Moscow.
6. What is the evidence that many people are being charged?
(a) The sounds of torture are everywhere.
(b) The prison cells are overcrowded.
(c) The whole system is running 24 hours per day.
(d) Food is scarce.
7. To where has Ginzburg's case been referred?
(a) Back to her home town council.
(b) The Military Intelligence branch of investigations.
(c) Her case has been dismissed.
(d) The Supreme Court of the Soviet Union.
8. Who is one person Zinaida Abramova says has been arrested?
(a) Her next-door-neighbor.
(b) The son of her best friend.
(d) Her brother.
9. Where did Lyama's family work?
(a) They were nomadic people.
(b) On the Chinese-Far Eastern Railway.
(c) In the Moscow military supply system.
(d) On the Far-East Power System.
10. What does the lack enable?
(a) Scurvy and other diseases.
(b) Cruel treatment by the guards and prisoners.
(c) Prisoners to communicate freely.
(d) A sense of despair that they are killing the older party members.
11. What do Ginzburg, Rimma, Ira and Julia discover?
(a) They are bonding over the stress of prison.
(b) They are all unwilling to compromise their beliefs.
(c) They are the only women transferred to Moscow.
(d) They have one thing in common that may have led to their arrests.
12. How is Ginzburg's new prison described?
(a) Noisy and filthy.
(b) Clean and quiet.
(c) Newly built.
13. What does Ginzburg do when she explodes in anger at this latest charge?
(a) Tries to kill herself.
(b) Denounces Yaroslavsky.
(c) Curses Stalin.
(d) Denounces her husband.
14. What does Ginzburg want to prove?
(a) Stalin is mentally unstable.
(b) She is innocent.
(c) Stalin is going to far.
(d) Gossip is not truth.
15. Who is Lyama Shepel?
(a) Ginzburg's cell mate.
(b) A cook at the prison.
(c) Ginzburg's family servant.
(d) One of the interrogators.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the maximum penalty for the crimes with which Ginzburg is charged?
2. What news does Ginzburg get one day in a singing message?
3. What does Tsarevsky say about Elvov?
4. How long does Ginzburg's trial last?
5. What incenses Ginzburg about how her answers are recorded?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)