|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ginzburg pass out?
(a) When she is choked by an interrogator.
(b) The heat.
(c) The beatings.
(d) The lack of decent food.
2. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(a) Manuch Prison.
(c) Black Lake.
(d) She is released to go home.
3. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) She is whipped.
(b) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(c) She is put in solitary confinement.
(d) She is shot.
4. What is the evidence that many people are being charged?
(a) The prison cells are overcrowded.
(b) The sounds of torture are everywhere.
(c) Food is scarce.
(d) The whole system is running 24 hours per day.
5. What incenses Ginzburg about how her answers are recorded?
(a) They show her as much closer to Elvov than she is.
(b) They are skewed to fit the judgment the interrogator is trying to justify.
(c) They put her family in a collaborative position.
(d) They are recorded inacurrately.
6. Why is Ginzburg's watch inaccurate?
(a) She forgot to wind it sometimes in prison and only guessed at the time when resetting it.
(b) The dampness of the prison has rusted it.
(c) It has not been wound since she entered prison.
(d) Its battery is run down.
7. What is returned to Ginzburg?
(a) Her dentures.
(b) Her papers.
(c) Her watch.
(d) Her money.
8. How is Vevers described?
(a) Cold and calculating.
9. What does Natasha reveal about the Gestapo?
(a) They have the same forms of torture as the Communists.
(b) She worked for the Gestapo before coming to this prison.
(c) They are in league with Stalin's secret police.
(d) They are actually more humane than the Communists.
10. What is the so-called method when Ginzburg is harshly interrogated by uninterrupted interrogation with different interrogators?
(a) The Conveyor Belt.
(b) The Stream.
(c) The gauntlet.
11. What does Sagidullin think is the reason for the current purge?
(a) To kill off anyone that might challenge Stalin.
(b) To trim the party, which had stopped being such an elite organization.
(c) There does not seem to be a reason for it.
(d) To get Stalin's cronies into all the important positions in the government.
12. Why does Pitkovskaya condemn her husband?
(a) He beat her all the time.
(b) She loves the Party more than she loves him.
(c) He was going to make up lies about her involvement with Elvov.
(d) He was embezzling.
13. What do the wardens do for counting prisoners?
(a) They count tin cups.
(b) They count pairs of feet.
(c) They have each prisoner write his/her name on a piece of paper.
(d) They have the prisoners line up on their name in a hallway.
14. What does Ginzburg do when she explodes in anger at this latest charge?
(a) Tries to kill herself.
(b) Curses Stalin.
(c) Denounces her husband.
(d) Denounces Yaroslavsky.
15. What does the lack enable?
(a) A sense of despair that they are killing the older party members.
(b) Scurvy and other diseases.
(c) Prisoners to communicate freely.
(d) Cruel treatment by the guards and prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zinaida Abramova?
2. What is the ultimate outcome of the party meeting?
3. Where is Elvov now according to Tsarevsky?
4. How does Ginzburg view the hearings against her and others?
5. In what year does Professor Elvov visit Ginzburg?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)