|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Captain Vevers?
(a) The man who tries to be kind to Ginzburg in prison.
(b) The head of the secret police in Moscow.
(c) The man who forces the interrogator to be humane when questioning Ginzburg.
(d) The man who interrogates Ginzburg.
2. What does Tsarevsky say about Elvov?
(a) He has killed himself.
(b) He has confessed to participating in a plot against Stalin.
(c) He has said Ginzburg contacted him about killing another party member.
(d) He has confessed against Ginzburg.
3. What does Ginzburg want to prove?
(a) Stalin is mentally unstable.
(b) She is innocent.
(c) Stalin is going to far.
(d) Gossip is not truth.
4. Who summons Ginzburg?
(a) The district committee.
(b) The deputy chief of the Moscow Communist party.
(c) The politburo in Moscow.
(d) The head of the GGP.
5. Where is Ginzburg sent at the opening of Chapter 19?
(a) St. Petersburg.
(b) Krasin Street Prison.
6. What has Ginzburg heard is an indication she is about to be shot?
(a) The nicer the prison the more likely one is to die soon.
(b) She is put into a single cell with a real bed.
(c) She is made to sign papers that she is not allowed to read.
(d) She is given all her possesions back.
7. What was Julia Karepova's career before imprisonment?
(b) Physics Professor.
8. Why is Ginzburg's watch inaccurate?
(a) She forgot to wind it sometimes in prison and only guessed at the time when resetting it.
(b) Its battery is run down.
(c) The dampness of the prison has rusted it.
(d) It has not been wound since she entered prison.
9. Who agonizes over the hearing on Ginzburg?
(a) Ginzburg's third cousin who must pronounce the judgement.
(b) Ginzburg's favorite mentor.
(c) Her friends who are caught in their own false accusations.
(d) One of her former students whoi s the head of the committee.
10. For how long does this form of interrogation last?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) A few hours.
11. Why is Nina in prison?
(a) Her brother denounced Stalin and Nina does not report him.
(b) For failing to denounce someone who denounces Stalin.
(c) Her boyfriend is in a conspiracy group.
(d) Her mother said negative things about Stalin.
12. What might happen if Ginzburg makes any stops along the way to present herself for the arrest warrant?
(a) She could make things even more difficult for herself or loved ones.
(b) Her mother might become hysterical.
(c) She might be shot.
(d) She might get an even harsher sentence.
13. What does Natasha reveal about the Gestapo?
(a) They are in league with Stalin's secret police.
(b) They have the same forms of torture as the Communists.
(c) They are actually more humane than the Communists.
(d) She worked for the Gestapo before coming to this prison.
14. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(a) Black Lake.
(b) She is released to go home.
(c) Manuch Prison.
15. What is the so-called method when Ginzburg is harshly interrogated by uninterrupted interrogation with different interrogators?
(a) The Stream.
(c) The Conveyor Belt.
(d) The gauntlet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alyosha?
2. Why does Ginzburg pass out?
3. What does Ginzburg's husband advise against her doing?
4. What eventually stops this first round of the new type of interrogations?
5. What does Livanov ask Ginzburg concerning Elvov?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)