|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ginzburg told in the meeting?
(a) She is exonerated of all but three minor charges.
(b) She is expelled from the Communist Party.
(c) She is to be executed.
(d) She is to go work on a communal farm and teach there.
2. What does Ginzburg do when she explodes in anger at this latest charge?
(a) Denounces her husband.
(b) Tries to kill herself.
(c) Curses Stalin.
(d) Denounces Yaroslavsky.
3. What does Ginzburg call her mother-in-law?
(a) Mrs. Aksyonnova.
4. What does Lydia pray concerning Ginzburg?
(a) Ginzburg will be true to her beliefs.
(b) Ginzburg not commit suicide.
(c) Ginzburg will be vindicated.
(d) Ginzburg will agree to the interrogators' wishes.
5. Who apologizes to Ginzburg?
6. How does Ginzburg describe Stalin?
(c) Ugly and repulsive.
7. Who agonizes over the hearing on Ginzburg?
(a) Ginzburg's favorite mentor.
(b) One of her former students whoi s the head of the committee.
(c) Ginzburg's third cousin who must pronounce the judgement.
(d) Her friends who are caught in their own false accusations.
8. Where is Elvov now according to Tsarevsky?
(a) In the Gulag.
(b) In the same cellar as Ginzburg.
(d) At his home.
9. What does Avodotya Aksyonova advise Ginzburg?
(a) To ask her husband to denounce her.
(b) To go far away.
(c) To humble herself.
(d) To ask her friends to give her their endorsements.
10. Where is Ginzburg sent at the opening of Chapter 19?
(b) St. Petersburg.
(d) Krasin Street Prison.
11. What does Yaroslavsky do concening Ginzburg?
(a) Tries to help her to flee the country.
(b) Trumps up evidence against her.
(c) Denounces her.
(d) Hides evidence against her.
12. What does Ginzburg's husband advise against her doing?
(a) Fighting the charges.
(b) Defending her initial statements.
(c) Publicly saying goodbye to her children.
(d) Stopping to tell her mother goodbye.
13. Why is Ginzburg happy after her trial?
(a) She is only given two years.
(b) She receives three years but is allowed to serve in her home town.
(c) She is not to be executed.
(d) She is released for time served.
14. What do Ginzburg, Rimma, Ira and Julia discover?
(a) They are the only women transferred to Moscow.
(b) They are all unwilling to compromise their beliefs.
(c) They are bonding over the stress of prison.
(d) They have one thing in common that may have led to their arrests.
15. Why does Pitkovskaya condemn her husband?
(a) He was embezzling.
(b) He beat her all the time.
(c) She loves the Party more than she loves him.
(d) He was going to make up lies about her involvement with Elvov.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ginzburg pass out?
2. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
3. Who is Alyosha?
4. Where is Ginzburg taken?
5. For how long does this form of interrogation last?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)