|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alyosha?
(a) Ginzburg's oldest son.
(b) Ginzburg's brother who disappears.
(c) Ginzburg's best friend who disappears.
(d) The judge that sentences Ginzburg.
2. What does Milda encourage Ginzburg to do?
(a) To sing when she wakes in the morning.
(b) To rat on other prisoners.
(c) To teach her to read.
(d) To stop up her ears with cotton.
3. How does Stalin label sections of the book that Elvov writes?
(c) Full of errors.
(d) Very accurate.
4. Who is Captain Vevers?
(a) The man who forces the interrogator to be humane when questioning Ginzburg.
(b) The man who tries to be kind to Ginzburg in prison.
(c) The head of the secret police in Moscow.
(d) The man who interrogates Ginzburg.
5. Why does Pitkovskaya condemn her husband?
(a) He beat her all the time.
(b) He was embezzling.
(c) He was going to make up lies about her involvement with Elvov.
(d) She loves the Party more than she loves him.
6. Why is Ginsburg sad on September 1, 1935?
(a) It is the anniversary of when her young daughter had died.
(b) She is no longer allowed to teach and it's the first day of school.
(c) It is the anniversary of when her young son had died.
(d) It is the anniversary of when she first started teaching.
7. What does Lydia tell Ginzburg that God does?
(a) Watches over fatherless children.
(b) Triumphs in the end.
(c) Exacts vengeance.
(d) Punishes wicked doers.
8. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
(a) The rats gnawing on the pallets.
(b) Screams from torturing going on.
(c) No one knows.
(d) Old pipes rattling.
9. Who is Lyama Shepel?
(a) One of the interrogators.
(b) Ginzburg's family servant.
(c) Ginzburg's cell mate.
(d) A cook at the prison.
10. What form of communications does Ginzburg learn?
(a) A form of shorthand.
(b) Number codes.
(d) Knocking on walls.
11. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
(a) 1 day.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) 5 days.
(d) Three hours.
12. What does Ginzburg say in her letter to the secret police?
(a) She confesses to everything of which she is accused.
(b) She absolves her family in her crimes.
(c) She criticizes them for their methods.
(d) She asks forgiveness from the party.
13. To what does Ginzburg attribute her not signing anything that was false?
(a) She wanted to be a good example for her children.
(b) The more brutal means of interrogations were not yet used.
(c) She wanted to be a good example for other Party members who are falsely accused.
(d) She had a spiritual strength.
14. Why is Nina in prison?
(a) For failing to denounce someone who denounces Stalin.
(b) Her mother said negative things about Stalin.
(c) Her brother denounced Stalin and Nina does not report him.
(d) Her boyfriend is in a conspiracy group.
15. What does Ginzburg notice is lacking where she is now?
(c) Decent food.
(d) Older party members.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lydia pray concerning Ginzburg?
2. What does Ginzburg call her mother-in-law?
3. What do the wardens do for counting prisoners?
4. What is the maximum penalty for the crimes with which Ginzburg is charged?
5. Why do many people believe they are safe from arrest?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)