|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Avodotya Aksyonova advise Ginzburg?
(a) To go far away.
(b) To ask her friends to give her their endorsements.
(c) To humble herself.
(d) To ask her husband to denounce her.
2. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(b) She is shot.
(c) She is put in solitary confinement.
(d) She is whipped.
3. Where did Lyama's family work?
(a) In the Moscow military supply system.
(b) On the Far-East Power System.
(c) On the Chinese-Far Eastern Railway.
(d) They were nomadic people.
4. How long does Ginzburg's trial last?
(a) Several days.
(b) 10 hours.
(c) 7 minutes.
(d) 18 hours.
5. What news does Ginzburg get one day in a singing message?
(a) Her mother is dead.
(b) Her son is dead.
(c) Her mother has been arrested.
(d) Her husband has been arrested.
6. Where is Ginzburg sent at the opening of Chapter 19?
(c) St. Petersburg.
(d) Krasin Street Prison.
7. What is the ultimate outcome of the party meeting?
(a) Ginzburg's status is lowered at the University.
(b) Ginzbug is reprimanded, but it is later canceled.
(c) Ginzburg must submit a vociferously-worded condemnation of Trotsky.
(d) Ginzburg is told she can give no more public lectures for two years.
8. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
(a) Three hours.
(b) 5 days.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) 1 day.
9. Who is Zinaida Abramova?
(a) An old friend of Ginzburg's.
(b) A torturer.
(c) The wife of the prime minister of Tartary.
(d) A person placed in the prison as a spy.
10. What does Natasha reveal about the Gestapo?
(a) She worked for the Gestapo before coming to this prison.
(b) They are in league with Stalin's secret police.
(c) They have the same forms of torture as the Communists.
(d) They are actually more humane than the Communists.
11. Where is Ginzburg put after her initial interrogations?
(a) In a courtyard with tents for shelter.
(b) In a cellar.
(c) In a bleak prison with stone walls.
(d) In a dormitory with other political offenders.
12. What does Lydia pray concerning Ginzburg?
(a) Ginzburg will agree to the interrogators' wishes.
(b) Ginzburg not commit suicide.
(c) Ginzburg will be vindicated.
(d) Ginzburg will be true to her beliefs.
13. Why is Ginzburg summoned to a Party meeting?
(a) For having a book in her home that was published outside of Russia.
(b) For not denouncing Elvov.
(c) For missing two meetings in a row when she was ill.
(d) For failing to denouce Trotsky strenuously enough in a recent lecture.
14. What do the wardens do for counting prisoners?
(a) They count pairs of feet.
(b) They have the prisoners line up on their name in a hallway.
(c) They have each prisoner write his/her name on a piece of paper.
(d) They count tin cups.
15. To what does Ginzburg attribute her not signing anything that was false?
(a) She wanted to be a good example for her children.
(b) She wanted to be a good example for other Party members who are falsely accused.
(c) She had a spiritual strength.
(d) The more brutal means of interrogations were not yet used.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ginzburg told in the meeting?
2. For how long does this form of interrogation last?
3. Why does Ginzburg try to clean up herself?
4. What does Ginzburg want to prove?
5. Who is Garey Sagidullin?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)