|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Julia Karepova's career before imprisonment?
(a) Physics Professor.
2. How long does the second round of interrogations last?
(a) 5 days.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) 1 day.
(d) Three hours.
3. What eventually stops this first round of the new type of interrogations?
(a) A new prisoner takes their attention away from her.
(b) Ginzburg blacks out.
(c) Ginzburg asks to speak to Elvov.
(d) Ginzburg confesses and signs what they want her to sign.
4. Why do many people believe they are safe from arrest?
(a) They are loyal party members.
(b) They are not active in politics.
(c) They have been given medals from Stalin.
(d) They teach in very remote areas.
5. Where is Ginzburg taken?
(a) She is released to go home.
(b) Black Lake.
(d) Manuch Prison.
6. What is the criminal offense of which Ginzburg is now accused?
(a) Inciting riots.
(c) Teaching heresy.
(d) Collaborating with the enemy.
7. Where is Elvov now according to Tsarevsky?
(a) In the Gulag.
(b) At his home.
(d) In the same cellar as Ginzburg.
8. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
(a) Screams from torturing going on.
(b) Old pipes rattling.
(c) No one knows.
(d) The rats gnawing on the pallets.
9. What does Tsarevsky say about Elvov?
(a) He has killed himself.
(b) He has said Ginzburg contacted him about killing another party member.
(c) He has confessed to participating in a plot against Stalin.
(d) He has confessed against Ginzburg.
10. What does Avodotya Aksyonova advise Ginzburg?
(a) To ask her friends to give her their endorsements.
(b) To ask her husband to denounce her.
(c) To humble herself.
(d) To go far away.
11. How is Vevers described?
(a) Cold and calculating.
12. What news does Ginzburg get one day in a singing message?
(a) Her mother has been arrested.
(b) Her mother is dead.
(c) Her son is dead.
(d) Her husband has been arrested.
13. What does Sagidullin think is the reason for the current purge?
(a) To kill off anyone that might challenge Stalin.
(b) There does not seem to be a reason for it.
(c) To trim the party, which had stopped being such an elite organization.
(d) To get Stalin's cronies into all the important positions in the government.
14. What does Ginzburg consider as she is traveling back to Moscow?
(a) Forming a group to assassinate Stalin.
(b) Denouncing her best friend.
(d) Writing a condemnation of Trotsky.
15. Why does Ginzburg pass out?
(a) The beatings.
(b) The heat.
(c) The lack of decent food.
(d) When she is choked by an interrogator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ginzburg told in the meeting?
2. What does Ginzburg say in her letter to the secret police?
3. What is the so-called method when Ginzburg is harshly interrogated by uninterrupted interrogation with different interrogators?
4. What happens after a period of regular interrogations?
5. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)