|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) She is shot.
(b) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(c) She is whipped.
(d) She is put in solitary confinement.
2. What incenses Ginzburg about how her answers are recorded?
(a) They are recorded inacurrately.
(b) They are skewed to fit the judgment the interrogator is trying to justify.
(c) They show her as much closer to Elvov than she is.
(d) They put her family in a collaborative position.
3. What does the lack enable?
(a) A sense of despair that they are killing the older party members.
(b) Scurvy and other diseases.
(c) Prisoners to communicate freely.
(d) Cruel treatment by the guards and prisoners.
4. Who is Alyosha?
(a) Ginzburg's oldest son.
(b) Ginzburg's brother who disappears.
(c) Ginzburg's best friend who disappears.
(d) The judge that sentences Ginzburg.
5. Who is Garey Sagidullin?
(a) A janitor.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) An interrogator.
(d) An old professor.
6. What has Ginzburg heard is an indication she is about to be shot?
(a) She is made to sign papers that she is not allowed to read.
(b) She is put into a single cell with a real bed.
(c) The nicer the prison the more likely one is to die soon.
(d) She is given all her possesions back.
7. What does Vevers use frequently?
8. What eventually stops this first round of the new type of interrogations?
(a) A new prisoner takes their attention away from her.
(b) Ginzburg confesses and signs what they want her to sign.
(c) Ginzburg blacks out.
(d) Ginzburg asks to speak to Elvov.
9. What does Natasha reveal about the Gestapo?
(a) They have the same forms of torture as the Communists.
(b) They are in league with Stalin's secret police.
(c) They are actually more humane than the Communists.
(d) She worked for the Gestapo before coming to this prison.
10. Who apologizes to Ginzburg?
11. How does Pitkovskaya commit suicide?
(a) She drinks acid.
(b) She sets herself on fire.
(c) She hangs herself.
(d) She shoots herself.
12. Who is one person Zinaida Abramova says has been arrested?
(a) Her next-door-neighbor.
(b) Her brother.
(c) The son of her best friend.
13. What is the so-called method when Ginzburg is harshly interrogated by uninterrupted interrogation with different interrogators?
(a) The Stream.
(c) The Conveyor Belt.
(d) The gauntlet.
14. How is Ginzburg's new prison described?
(a) Clean and quiet.
(c) Noisy and filthy.
(d) Newly built.
15. How does Ginzburg defend herself?
(a) By saying that her lecture was not about Trotsky.
(b) By saying no one in her area has denounced Elvov either.
(c) By saying she was in the hospital and has a note to prove it.
(d) By saying that Stalin's deputy of foreign affairs gave her the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do many people believe they are safe from arrest?
2. What does Lydia pray concerning Ginzburg?
3. How does Stalin label sections of the book that Elvov writes?
4. Where is Ginzburg taken?
5. What are the sounds in the middle of the night?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)