|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Ginzburg get one day in a singing message?
(a) Her mother is dead.
(b) Her son is dead.
(c) Her mother has been arrested.
(d) Her husband has been arrested.
2. What does Natasha reveal about the Gestapo?
(a) They are in league with Stalin's secret police.
(b) She worked for the Gestapo before coming to this prison.
(c) They have the same forms of torture as the Communists.
(d) They are actually more humane than the Communists.
3. What is Ginzburg told about her husband?
(a) He has disowned her.
(b) He is divorcing her.
(c) He has hired a good lawyer.
(d) He has also been arrested.
4. What does Ginzburg observe when she arrives in Moscow?
(a) Only the intelligentsia have been targeted.
(b) Her husband is here.
(c) Her son is here.
(d) The purges have been massive.
5. What happens when the Chinese prisoner laughs?
(a) The entire cell block erupts in laughter.
(b) She is put in solitary confinement.
(c) She is shot.
(d) She is whipped.
6. Why is Ginzburg summoned to a Party meeting?
(a) For failing to denouce Trotsky strenuously enough in a recent lecture.
(b) For having a book in her home that was published outside of Russia.
(c) For not denouncing Elvov.
(d) For missing two meetings in a row when she was ill.
7. Where is Elvov now according to Tsarevsky?
(a) In the Gulag.
(b) At his home.
(c) In the same cellar as Ginzburg.
8. What does Avodotya Aksyonova advise Ginzburg?
(a) To ask her husband to denounce her.
(b) To ask her friends to give her their endorsements.
(c) To humble herself.
(d) To go far away.
9. How does Ginzburg view the hearings against her and others?
(a) They are conducted by incompetent judges.
(b) Honest but flawed.
(c) Corrupt and hypocritical.
10. Why is Nina in prison?
(a) Her mother said negative things about Stalin.
(b) Her boyfriend is in a conspiracy group.
(c) For failing to denounce someone who denounces Stalin.
(d) Her brother denounced Stalin and Nina does not report him.
11. Who is Zinaida Abramova?
(a) A torturer.
(b) The wife of the prime minister of Tartary.
(c) A person placed in the prison as a spy.
(d) An old friend of Ginzburg's.
12. What is the ultimate outcome of the party meeting?
(a) Ginzburg must submit a vociferously-worded condemnation of Trotsky.
(b) Ginzburg's status is lowered at the University.
(c) Ginzbug is reprimanded, but it is later canceled.
(d) Ginzburg is told she can give no more public lectures for two years.
13. What does Ginzburg say in her letter to the secret police?
(a) She confesses to everything of which she is accused.
(b) She criticizes them for their methods.
(c) She absolves her family in her crimes.
(d) She asks forgiveness from the party.
14. How does Ginzburg defend herself?
(a) By saying no one in her area has denounced Elvov either.
(b) By saying that Stalin's deputy of foreign affairs gave her the book.
(c) By saying that her lecture was not about Trotsky.
(d) By saying she was in the hospital and has a note to prove it.
15. Who summons Ginzburg?
(a) The politburo in Moscow.
(b) The deputy chief of the Moscow Communist party.
(c) The head of the GGP.
(d) The district committee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ginzburg's watch inaccurate?
2. What is Ginzburg told in the meeting?
3. Who is Milda?
4. In what year does Professor Elvov visit Ginzburg?
5. Where did Lyama's family work?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)