|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 39, Next Year in Jerusalem | Part I, Chapter 40, Day after Day, Month after Month.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the wardens do for counting prisoners?
(a) They count pairs of feet.
(b) They have each prisoner write his/her name on a piece of paper.
(c) They count tin cups.
(d) They have the prisoners line up on their name in a hallway.
2. Why is Ginzburg summoned to a Party meeting?
(a) For not denouncing Elvov.
(b) For missing two meetings in a row when she was ill.
(c) For having a book in her home that was published outside of Russia.
(d) For failing to denouce Trotsky strenuously enough in a recent lecture.
3. What does the lack enable?
(a) A sense of despair that they are killing the older party members.
(b) Prisoners to communicate freely.
(c) Scurvy and other diseases.
(d) Cruel treatment by the guards and prisoners.
4. To what series of books has Elvov contributed an article?
(a) A series on the history of the Communist Party.
(b) A series on the fall of Czar Nicholas II.
(c) A series on the famous writers of Russia.
(d) A series on the famous painters of Russia.
5. How does Ginzburg defend herself?
(a) By saying that her lecture was not about Trotsky.
(b) By saying that Stalin's deputy of foreign affairs gave her the book.
(c) By saying she was in the hospital and has a note to prove it.
(d) By saying no one in her area has denounced Elvov either.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ultimate outcome of the party meeting?
2. Who is Zinaida Abramova?
3. How does Pitkovskaya commit suicide?
4. How does Stalin label sections of the book that Elvov writes?
5. What does Ginzburg write?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)