|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 39, Next Year in Jerusalem | Part I, Chapter 40, Day after Day, Month after Month.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ginzburg, Rimma, Ira and Julia discover?
(a) They are all unwilling to compromise their beliefs.
(b) They are bonding over the stress of prison.
(c) They are the only women transferred to Moscow.
(d) They have one thing in common that may have led to their arrests.
2. What does Ginzburg write?
(a) An appeal to the head of the Politburo.
(b) A novel about her childhood.
(c) A chapbook of poetry.
(d) A treatise on the abuses of the Soviet system.
3. What does Ginzburg do when she explodes in anger at this latest charge?
(a) Tries to kill herself.
(b) Denounces Yaroslavsky.
(c) Curses Stalin.
(d) Denounces her husband.
4. Who is "Grandma" Nastya?
(a) The only other woman who receives a ten-year sentence.
(b) The woman who receives the shortest sentence.
(c) The only woman who receives a fifteen year sentence.
(d) The only woman who is acquitted.
5. What incenses Ginzburg about how her answers are recorded?
(a) They show her as much closer to Elvov than she is.
(b) They put her family in a collaborative position.
(c) They are recorded inacurrately.
(d) They are skewed to fit the judgment the interrogator is trying to justify.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pitkovskaya condemn her husband?
2. What has happened to the entire government of Tartary?
3. What does Yaroslavsky open the cell window to give Ginzburg?
4. What happens after a period of regular interrogations?
5. What news does Ginzburg get one day in a singing message?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)