|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laurette give Joe for a graduation present?
(a) A pair of gold cuff links.
(b) A silk tie.
(c) A plush bathrobe.
(d) A ring.
2. What is the new nurse writing on Joe's chest?
(a) Happy Easter.
(b) The war is over.
(c) Who are you.
(d) Merry Christmas.
3. What did Lucky survive in America?
(a) A tidal wave in Crescent City.
(b) The eruption of St. Helena.
(c) The Chicago fire.
(d) The San Francisco earthquake.
4. How does he name the days of the week and months?
(a) In French.
(b) Like they name them in Canada.
(c) Like the Germans name them.
(d) So he can celebrate holidays.
5. What does Joe think about life?
(a) It is wasted.
(b) It is good to be alive.
(c) Life is great.
(d) It is eternal.
6. What do the Americans wish they were drinking?
(a) Corn whiskey.
(b) Soda pop.
(c) American beer.
7. Why did Bonnie Flannigan say hello to Joe?
(a) She's looking for customers.
(b) She mistook him for somone else.
(c) She thinks he's good looking.
(d) She recognized him from Shale City.
8. What would be the advantage of people seeing Joe?
(a) They would know the advances of modern medicines.
(b) They would believe in God and miracles.
(c) It would be educational.
9. Who announces that it's time to board the train?
(b) The redhead.
(d) The Swede.
10. Where does Lucky have her son?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Long Island.
11. What does Joe feel as the man prods him?
(a) A sting on his stump.
(b) Sharp, jagged pain.
(c) Cold, like ice.
(d) A warmth.
12. What are the guys in the train station that Joe sees playing to pass the time?
(b) A dice game.
13. What does Joe ask?
(a) For them to reconsider.
(b) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(c) For them to contact his mother.
(d) For death.
14. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
(a) Jerks his head around to dislodge his mask.
(b) Gets very quiet and calm.
(c) Spits at them.
(d) Starts to rock his body.
15. What does Joe believe will happen if the new nurse walks away?
(a) He will die.
(b) Nothing; he'll try again later.
(c) He will be tortured for information.
(d) He will never have another chance to communicate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe decide a particular day is New Year's Day?
2. What month and year was Joe injured?
3. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
4. How does Joe first start trying to keep track of time?
5. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)