|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
(a) He can count minutes.
(b) He will know sunset too.
(c) He will always know what time it is.
(d) Dawn can never be taken away from him.
2. What direction does Joe face in his third year in the hospital?
3. What occurs to Joe about vibrations and moving?
(a) He can feel how many people are in the room.
(b) He can tap out Morse code.
(c) He can feel a breeze.
(d) He can feel vibrations in his stomach.
4. Why is everyone in Bethlehem in the story Joe's mother reads?
(a) To go to a Christmas pageant.
(b) Paying taxes.
(c) To watch an eclipse of the sun.
(d) To flee the Romans.
5. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
(a) He relaxes and sings in his mind.
(b) He flips over.
(c) He starts to count minutes.
(d) He feels sad he can't see it.
6. What does Joe assume when he feels the nurse's hand for the fifth time?
(a) It is time to sleep.
(b) It is 4 A.M.
(c) It is midnight.
(d) It is 8 A.M.
7. What do the visitors leave with Joe?
(a) A new face mask.
(b) A medal.
(d) Some get well cards.
8. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
(a) They laugh more.
(b) They love better.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They are more sensitive to others.
9. What is Joe's concern about asking for something?
(a) That they will misunderstand.
(b) That they will refuse.
(c) That the government is already spending huge sums to keep him alive.
(d) That it is silly to expect anything in his situation.
10. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
(a) Runs away from him.
(b) Throws himself down and cries.
(c) Slaps him in the face.
(d) Begs to die.
11. What does Christ tell the guys about the music they are hearing?
(a) It's from the military band.
(b) It's a new type of rock and roll.
(c) It's music to heal them.
(d) It's the music of death.
12. What does Flannigan say will happen if Joe sticks with her?
(a) They'll both wear diamonds.
(b) He'll not catch any diseases.
(c) She'll find him a good wife.
(d) He'll never lack for sex.
13. What month and year was Joe injured?
(a) June, 1918.
(b) April, 1917.
(c) September, 1918.
(d) March, 1919.
14. What does Joe think the hospital wants to do?
(a) Help him die.
(b) Use him for doctors to practice on.
(c) Use him to teach nurses.
(d) Keep him in darkness.
15. What is the new nurse writing on Joe's chest?
(a) Merry Christmas.
(b) Happy Easter.
(c) Who are you.
(d) The war is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who announces that it's time to board the train?
2. What was the name of the first girl with whom Joe had sex ?
3. What does Joe reject as the nurse listens to his tapping?
4. What does Joe decide he needs to offer?
5. How does Joe feel about those who hold him?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)