|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe believe will happen if the new nurse walks away?
(a) He will never have another chance to communicate.
(b) Nothing; he'll try again later.
(c) He will be tortured for information.
(d) He will die.
2. Why do the American boys like Lucky in Paris?
(a) She reminds them of American fun.
(b) She is a great prostitute.
(c) She is sexy.
(d) She always has time for them.
3. What does Joe compare himself to now, in the hospital?
(a) A corpse.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) A medical miracle.
(d) An angel.
4. How does he name the days of the week and months?
(a) In French.
(b) So he can celebrate holidays.
(c) Like they name them in Canada.
(d) Like the Germans name them.
5. What does Joe feel as the man prods him?
(a) A warmth.
(b) Sharp, jagged pain.
(c) A sting on his stump.
(d) Cold, like ice.
6. How does Joe feel after the man tells him what he says in question #175?
(a) He is hopeful.
(b) He is joyfully surprised.
(c) He has no hope.
(d) He feels supported.
7. Where does Lucky have her son?
(b) Washington D.C.
(d) Long Island.
8. Why won't the Scotchman fight the Bavarian?
(a) He thinks their crown prince is the rightful king of England.
(b) His mother is Bavarian.
(c) His father is Bavarian.
(d) He is related to the Bavarian crown prince.
9. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
(a) When the doctor comes in and takes his pulse.
(b) Because of the warming on his skin.
(c) When a nurse first comes after a long time without.
(d) When they first feed him after being without.
10. What was the name of the first girl with whom Joe had sex ?
11. What does Joe think about his mother reading?
(a) The tale of Jesus's crucifixion.
(b) An answer to who he is.
(c) "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
(d) "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."
12. How does Joe feel about those who hold him?
(a) That they are angels.
(b) That they are Satan's messengers.
(c) That they are inhumane.
(d) That they are sadistic.
13. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
(a) He starts to count minutes.
(b) He feels sad he can't see it.
(c) He flips over.
(d) He relaxes and sings in his mind.
14. What do new nurses do with Joe?
(a) Uncover him and stare awhile.
(b) Treat him roughly.
(c) Treat him gently.
(d) Talk endlessly to him.
15. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
(a) Dawn can never be taken away from him.
(b) He will always know what time it is.
(c) He can count minutes.
(d) He will know sunset too.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that is coming for Joe as he leaves Paris?
2. About what does Joe worry?
3. Why doesn't Joe see Laurette after graduation?
4. Who is afraid for her baby?
5. To what does Joe compare himself?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)