|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joe loses track of everything but what?
(a) His daily bath.
(c) The nurses footsteps.
(d) The dawn.
2. What does Joe think about his mother reading?
(a) An answer to who he is.
(b) "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
(c) The tale of Jesus's crucifixion.
(d) "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."
3. What does Joe ask?
(a) For death.
(b) For them to contact his mother.
(c) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(d) For them to reconsider.
4. What does the day nurse do with Joe?
(a) Sedates him.
(b) Get him to sit up.
(c) Slaps him on the chest to communicate.
(d) Tries to calm him.
5. How does he name the days of the week and months?
(a) Like the Germans name them.
(b) Like they name them in Canada.
(c) In French.
(d) So he can celebrate holidays.
6. How does Joe feel after the man tells him what he says in question #175?
(a) He is hopeful.
(b) He feels supported.
(c) He is joyfully surprised.
(d) He has no hope.
7. How does Joe feel about those who hold him?
(a) That they are sadistic.
(b) That they are angels.
(c) That they are Satan's messengers.
(d) That they are inhumane.
8. How long does Joe figure it will take for him to feel warmth on his skin?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) Half a year.
(c) A couple of months.
(d) Several days.
9. Who comes in the room and prods Joe's body?
(a) A man with a heavy step.
(b) A new nurse.
(c) A doctor.
(d) The orderly.
10. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Try again to kill himself.
(b) Figure out where he is.
(c) Learn how to think.
(d) Figure out how much of his body is left.
11. What is the doctor's response to Joe's continued tapping?
(a) Reassurance that they will let him go.
(b) He ignores Joe.
(c) A slap.
12. What happens the third year Joe is in the hospital?
(a) His mother is found.
(b) He begins to hear a little.
(c) He is moved to a new room.
(d) They find out who he is.
13. How does Joe feel after the man who he has been talking to leaves?
(b) Full of misgivings.
14. What does Flannigan say will happen if Joe sticks with her?
(a) They'll both wear diamonds.
(b) She'll find him a good wife.
(c) He'll never lack for sex.
(d) He'll not catch any diseases.
15. How often do bath and bed changes occur in relationship to nurse's visits?
(a) Every twelve visits.
(b) Every ten visits.
(c) Every four visits.
(d) He's not sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe feel as the man prods him?
2. Why won't the Scotchman fight the Bavarian?
3. To what does Joe compare himself?
4. What does Joe's father tell him in a daydream?
5. What would be the advantage of people seeing Joe?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)