|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does he name the days of the week and months?
(a) Like they name them in Canada.
(b) So he can celebrate holidays.
(c) In French.
(d) Like the Germans name them.
2. What does Joe ask?
(a) For them to reconsider.
(b) For death.
(c) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(d) For them to contact his mother.
3. How often do bath and bed changes occur in relationship to nurse's visits?
(a) He's not sure.
(b) Every ten visits.
(c) Every four visits.
(d) Every twelve visits.
4. What does Joe decide he needs to offer?
(a) An idea of how it is to suffer wounds they way he has.
(c) A means of paying for his own upkeep.
(d) Permission for them to kill him.
5. In his fourth year what does Joe feel that is different?
(a) He feels bustling and chattering in his room.
(b) He can feel more of the nurses' hands on him.
(c) He can feel he's outside.
(d) He begins to be able to feel his legs.
6. What does Joe think about his teachers?
(a) He learned a lot from them.
(b) He wonders what they would think of him now.
(c) They never taught him anything.
(d) He remembers they thought he was dumb.
7. What direction does Joe face in his third year in the hospital?
8. What does Joe compare himself to now, in the hospital?
(a) An angel.
(b) A corpse.
(c) A prisoner.
(d) A medical miracle.
9. What do Joe and Flannigan often do together?
(a) Go to the library.
(b) Steal from a store.
(c) Have breakfast.
(d) Have sex.
10. What does Christ tell the guys about the music they are hearing?
(a) It's from the military band.
(b) It's music to heal them.
(c) It's the music of death.
(d) It's a new type of rock and roll.
11. Where does Lucky have her son?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) Long Island.
12. What does the day nurse do that brings Joe pleasure?
(a) Talks to him.
(b) Gives him sexual relief with her hands.
(c) Massage him.
(d) Soothes his brow.
13. To what does Joe compare himself?
(a) A chloroformed frog, helpless yet alive.
(b) The President.
(d) The newborn baby.
14. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They love better.
(c) They are more sensitive to others.
(d) They laugh more.
15. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) The smell is of the English heather.
(b) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
(c) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
(d) It's the closest hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Joe figure it will take for him to feel warmth on his skin?
2. What was the name of the first girl with whom Joe had sex ?
3. What does Joe think is the key to figuring out time?
4. What would be the advantage of people seeing Joe?
5. What did Lucky survive in America?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)