|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bonnie Flannigan say hello to Joe?
(a) She's looking for customers.
(b) She mistook him for somone else.
(c) She thinks he's good looking.
(d) She recognized him from Shale City.
2. How does Joe feel about those who hold him?
(a) That they are Satan's messengers.
(b) That they are inhumane.
(c) That they are sadistic.
(d) That they are angels.
3. What does Joe realize about patches of skin on his neck and forehead?
(a) Some are uncovered and healthy.
(b) They are scaly.
(c) They itch.
(d) They are beginning to heal.
4. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
(b) It's the closest hospital.
(c) The smell is of the English heather.
(d) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
5. What does Joe think is the key to figuring out time?
(a) Figuring up how many times he goes to sleep.
(b) The nurses' visits.
(c) Asking for a clock that vibrates as it ticks.
(d) Asking for a Braille watch.
6. What does Joe ask?
(a) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(b) For death.
(c) For them to reconsider.
(d) For them to contact his mother.
7. What is the new nurse writing on Joe's chest?
(a) The war is over.
(b) Happy Easter.
(c) Who are you.
(d) Merry Christmas.
8. What does Joe believe will happen if the new nurse walks away?
(a) He will die.
(b) He will be tortured for information.
(c) He will never have another chance to communicate.
(d) Nothing; he'll try again later.
9. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Learn how to think.
(b) Figure out where he is.
(c) Try again to kill himself.
(d) Figure out how much of his body is left.
10. What occurs to Joe about vibrations and moving?
(a) He can feel how many people are in the room.
(b) He can feel a breeze.
(c) He can tap out Morse code.
(d) He can feel vibrations in his stomach.
11. Why won't the Scotchman fight the Bavarian?
(a) He thinks their crown prince is the rightful king of England.
(b) He is related to the Bavarian crown prince.
(c) His mother is Bavarian.
(d) His father is Bavarian.
12. What does Joe think about life?
(a) It is wasted.
(b) Life is great.
(c) It is good to be alive.
(d) It is eternal.
13. To whom does Joe compare himself?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Other circus exhibits.
(c) His brother.
(d) No one.
14. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
(a) Gets very quiet and calm.
(b) Starts to rock his body.
(c) Jerks his head around to dislodge his mask.
(d) Spits at them.
15. What does Bonham sense as this chapter opens?
(a) That a new nurse is caring for him.
(b) That there is much bustle in the halls.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That the hospital is under attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Joe see Laurette after graduation?
2. What is the doctor's response to Joe's continued tapping?
3. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
4. What does Joe think about his mother reading?
5. What did Lucky survive in America?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)