|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do new nurses do with Joe?
(a) Talk endlessly to him.
(b) Treat him gently.
(c) Uncover him and stare awhile.
(d) Treat him roughly.
2. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
(a) Dawn can never be taken away from him.
(b) He can count minutes.
(c) He will know sunset too.
(d) He will always know what time it is.
3. What does Joe think the hospital wants to do?
(a) Help him die.
(b) Use him for doctors to practice on.
(c) Use him to teach nurses.
(d) Keep him in darkness.
4. What occurs to Joe about vibrations and moving?
(a) He can feel a breeze.
(b) He can feel vibrations in his stomach.
(c) He can feel how many people are in the room.
(d) He can tap out Morse code.
5. What did Lucky survive in America?
(a) A tidal wave in Crescent City.
(b) The San Francisco earthquake.
(c) The eruption of St. Helena.
(d) The Chicago fire.
6. What does Flannigan say will happen if Joe sticks with her?
(a) She'll find him a good wife.
(b) He'll never lack for sex.
(c) They'll both wear diamonds.
(d) He'll not catch any diseases.
7. What does Joe's father tell him in a daydream?
(a) Joe will be joining him soon.
(b) Death and life are the same.
(c) Life is better than death.
(d) Death is better than worrying.
8. What does Joe believe will happen if the new nurse walks away?
(a) He will be tortured for information.
(b) He will die.
(c) Nothing; he'll try again later.
(d) He will never have another chance to communicate.
9. What is Joe's reaction to the nurse's communication?
10. What is Joe's concern about asking for something?
(a) That the government is already spending huge sums to keep him alive.
(b) That they will refuse.
(c) That it is silly to expect anything in his situation.
(d) That they will misunderstand.
11. What is it that is coming for Joe as he leaves Paris?
(a) A letter from Kareen.
(b) A birthday cake.
(c) Two pairs of new pants.
(d) A German bomb.
12. About what does Joe worry?
(a) That the nurse will punish him.
(b) That they will try to kill him for his thoughts.
(c) That he did not express himself clearly.
(d) That he offered too much.
13. What does Joe assume when he feels the nurse's hand for the fifth time?
(a) It is midnight.
(b) It is 4 A.M.
(c) It is 8 A.M.
(d) It is time to sleep.
14. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
(a) Middle-aged, gray-haired, and large.
(b) Medium height, blond and older.
(c) Large, dark haired and young.
(d) Small and young.
15. How long does Joe figure it will take for him to feel warmth on his skin?
(a) Several days.
(b) Half a year.
(c) A couple of months.
(d) A few weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often do bath and bed changes occur in relationship to nurse's visits?
2. Who announces that it's time to board the train?
3. What does the man tell Joe when the man returns?
4. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
5. What does Joe think about his teachers?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)