|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe ask?
(a) For them to reconsider.
(b) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(c) For them to contact his mother.
(d) For death.
2. What is it that is coming for Joe as he leaves Paris?
(a) A letter from Kareen.
(b) A birthday cake.
(c) Two pairs of new pants.
(d) A German bomb.
3. About what does Joe worry?
(a) That he did not express himself clearly.
(b) That they will try to kill him for his thoughts.
(c) That the nurse will punish him.
(d) That he offered too much.
4. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) The smell is of the English heather.
(b) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
(c) It's the closest hospital.
(d) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
5. What is Joe's thought about the question?
(a) He wants out.
(b) He is terrible.
(c) He wants to go home.
(d) He doesn't want to give his name.
6. How does Joe first start trying to keep track of time?
(a) Counting minutes.
(b) Counting hours.
(c) Counting the number of times the door opens.
(d) Counting seconds.
7. How does Joe feel when the nurse leaves the room?
8. What does Joe think about his teachers?
(a) He wonders what they would think of him now.
(b) He learned a lot from them.
(c) He remembers they thought he was dumb.
(d) They never taught him anything.
9. How does Joe feel after the man who he has been talking to leaves?
(d) Full of misgivings.
10. Why does Joe listening to a hooker feel dumb?
(a) She is well traveled.
(b) She talks about books.
(c) She corrects his grammar.
(d) He doesn't know anything about sex.
11. What does Joe reject as the nurse listens to his tapping?
(a) A priest.
(b) Moving to his hometown.
(c) Anything to do with his care.
(d) A visit from a social worker.
12. Who comes in with the nurse?
(a) Another nurse.
(b) A man who knows Morse Code.
(c) A priest.
(d) A doctor.
13. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
(a) Kareen Birkman.
(b) A girl he met in Paris.
(d) One of the night nurses.
14. What does Joe realize about patches of skin on his neck and forehead?
(a) They are scaly.
(b) Some are uncovered and healthy.
(c) They are beginning to heal.
(d) They itch.
15. What does the day nurse do that brings Joe pleasure?
(a) Gives him sexual relief with her hands.
(b) Soothes his brow.
(c) Talks to him.
(d) Massage him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Joe compare himself?
2. Why doesn't Joe see Laurette after graduation?
3. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
4. What does Joe realize about why they respond to what he is saying?
5. What does Joe think he'll probably do even in his sleep?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)