|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't the Scotchman fight the Bavarian?
(a) He is related to the Bavarian crown prince.
(b) His father is Bavarian.
(c) His mother is Bavarian.
(d) He thinks their crown prince is the rightful king of England.
2. What does Joe think about life?
(a) It is wasted.
(b) Life is great.
(c) It is good to be alive.
(d) It is eternal.
3. What is the new nurse writing on Joe's chest?
(a) Who are you.
(b) Merry Christmas.
(c) The war is over.
(d) Happy Easter.
4. What does Joe reject as the nurse listens to his tapping?
(a) Moving to his hometown.
(b) A priest.
(c) Anything to do with his care.
(d) A visit from a social worker.
5. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Figure out where he is.
(b) Learn how to think.
(c) Try again to kill himself.
(d) Figure out how much of his body is left.
6. How does Joe feel when the nurse leaves the room?
7. What do the visitors leave with Joe?
(a) A medal.
(c) Some get well cards.
(d) A new face mask.
8. What does Bonham sense as this chapter opens?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That the hospital is under attack.
(c) That there is much bustle in the halls.
(d) That a new nurse is caring for him.
9. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
(b) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
(c) The smell is of the English heather.
(d) It's the closest hospital.
10. What month and year was Joe injured?
(a) June, 1918.
(b) April, 1917.
(c) September, 1918.
(d) March, 1919.
11. What does Joe think about his mother reading?
(a) The tale of Jesus's crucifixion.
(b) "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
(c) An answer to who he is.
(d) "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."
12. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
(a) He starts to count minutes.
(b) He relaxes and sings in his mind.
(c) He flips over.
(d) He feels sad he can't see it.
13. Why does Joe keep on tapping?
(a) He wants the exercise.
(b) He hopes that he will die from exhaustion.
(c) He can't stop or think.
(d) His neck is in a spasm.
14. What does Joe's father tell him in a daydream?
(a) Joe will be joining him soon.
(b) Life is better than death.
(c) Death and life are the same.
(d) Death is better than worrying.
15. What occurs to Joe about vibrations and moving?
(a) He can tap out Morse code.
(b) He can feel vibrations in his stomach.
(c) He can feel how many people are in the room.
(d) He can feel a breeze.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes in the room and prods Joe's body?
2. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
3. What is Joe's thought about the question?
4. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
5. In his fourth year what does Joe feel that is different?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)