|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laurette give Joe for a graduation present?
(a) A pair of gold cuff links.
(b) A ring.
(c) A silk tie.
(d) A plush bathrobe.
2. What does Joe feel as the man prods him?
(a) Cold, like ice.
(b) A warmth.
(c) A sting on his stump.
(d) Sharp, jagged pain.
3. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They love better.
(c) They laugh more.
(d) They are more sensitive to others.
4. What is it that is coming for Joe as he leaves Paris?
(a) A German bomb.
(b) Two pairs of new pants.
(c) A birthday cake.
(d) A letter from Kareen.
5. What is Joe's concern about asking for something?
(a) That it is silly to expect anything in his situation.
(b) That they will misunderstand.
(c) That the government is already spending huge sums to keep him alive.
(d) That they will refuse.
6. What does Joe think is the key to figuring out time?
(a) Asking for a clock that vibrates as it ticks.
(b) Asking for a Braille watch.
(c) Figuring up how many times he goes to sleep.
(d) The nurses' visits.
7. What do new nurses do with Joe?
(a) Uncover him and stare awhile.
(b) Treat him roughly.
(c) Talk endlessly to him.
(d) Treat him gently.
8. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
(a) He starts to count minutes.
(b) He relaxes and sings in his mind.
(c) He flips over.
(d) He feels sad he can't see it.
9. In his fourth year what does Joe feel that is different?
(a) He can feel he's outside.
(b) He feels bustling and chattering in his room.
(c) He can feel more of the nurses' hands on him.
(d) He begins to be able to feel his legs.
10. What do Joe and Flannigan often do together?
(a) Have sex.
(b) Go to the library.
(c) Steal from a store.
(d) Have breakfast.
11. Where does Joe say they can take him?
(a) To the zoo.
(b) To be viewed by those who make decisions about war.
(c) To hell.
12. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
(a) Medium height, blond and older.
(b) Middle-aged, gray-haired, and large.
(c) Small and young.
(d) Large, dark haired and young.
13. Who comes in the room and prods Joe's body?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A man with a heavy step.
(c) The orderly.
(d) A new nurse.
14. What does Joe need most?
(b) Room to breathe.
(c) A room with a view.
(d) Someone to love him.
15. Why does Joe listening to a hooker feel dumb?
(a) He doesn't know anything about sex.
(b) She corrects his grammar.
(c) She talks about books.
(d) She is well traveled.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
2. Who comes in with the nurse?
3. What does Joe ask of God?
4. What is the doctor's response to Joe's continued tapping?
5. What does Joe think the hospital wants to do?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)