|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
(a) He relaxes and sings in his mind.
(b) He starts to count minutes.
(c) He flips over.
(d) He feels sad he can't see it.
2. What does Joe believe will happen if the new nurse walks away?
(a) He will be tortured for information.
(b) He will never have another chance to communicate.
(c) He will die.
(d) Nothing; he'll try again later.
3. Where does Joe say they can take him?
(a) To hell.
(b) To be viewed by those who make decisions about war.
(c) To the zoo.
4. What does talking to Lucky bring Joe?
(a) A desire to be a good soldier.
(b) A desire for Kareen.
(d) Peace and less loneliness.
5. How long does Joe figure it will take for him to feel warmth on his skin?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) Half a year.
(c) Several days.
(d) A couple of months.
6. What does Joe assume when he feels the nurse's hand for the fifth time?
(a) It is midnight.
(b) It is 4 A.M.
(c) It is time to sleep.
(d) It is 8 A.M.
7. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
(a) Medium height, blond and older.
(b) Small and young.
(c) Middle-aged, gray-haired, and large.
(d) Large, dark haired and young.
8. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
(b) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
(c) The smell is of the English heather.
(d) It's the closest hospital.
9. What is Joe's concern about asking for something?
(a) That they will refuse.
(b) That it is silly to expect anything in his situation.
(c) That they will misunderstand.
(d) That the government is already spending huge sums to keep him alive.
10. What does Joe feel as the man prods him?
(a) Cold, like ice.
(b) Sharp, jagged pain.
(c) A warmth.
(d) A sting on his stump.
11. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
(a) When a nurse first comes after a long time without.
(b) When they first feed him after being without.
(c) Because of the warming on his skin.
(d) When the doctor comes in and takes his pulse.
12. What does Joe think he'll probably do even in his sleep?
(a) Feel the sunrise.
(b) Keep seeing the past.
(c) Keep tapping.
(d) Know when the nurse comes in.
13. What does Joe need most?
(b) A room with a view.
(c) Room to breathe.
(d) Someone to love him.
14. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
(a) Throws himself down and cries.
(b) Slaps him in the face.
(c) Runs away from him.
(d) Begs to die.
15. What does Bonham sense as this chapter opens?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That the hospital is under attack.
(c) That there is much bustle in the halls.
(d) That a new nurse is caring for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Joe think he's been unaware of time?
2. What does Joe think about his teachers?
3. What does Laurette give Joe for a graduation present?
4. What does the man tell Joe when the man returns?
5. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)