|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe ask of God?
(b) To help the nurse understand Joe is communicating.
(c) To help him die.
(d) To help him live.
2. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
(a) Large, dark haired and young.
(b) Middle-aged, gray-haired, and large.
(c) Medium height, blond and older.
(d) Small and young.
3. How does Joe feel after the man who he has been talking to leaves?
(b) Full of misgivings.
4. Why does Joe decide a particular day is New Year's Day?
(a) He feels fireworks.
(b) He has had 4765 baths.
(c) He just felt like having a holiday.
(d) He has counted 365 days.
5. Why doesn't Joe see Laurette after graduation?
(a) She is on vacation and his family moves.
(b) He has decided to wait for marriage.
(c) She doesn't want to see him.
(d) He has fallen in love with Diane.
6. In Joe's dream what can Jesus do?
(a) Serve brandy.
(c) Anything but hit a twelve.
(d) Restore Joe's arms and legs.
7. What is Joe's thought about the question?
(a) He wants out.
(b) He is terrible.
(c) He doesn't want to give his name.
(d) He wants to go home.
8. What do the visitors leave with Joe?
(a) Some get well cards.
(c) A new face mask.
(d) A medal.
9. Who comes in the room and prods Joe's body?
(a) A new nurse.
(b) A man with a heavy step.
(c) The orderly.
(d) A doctor.
10. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
(a) Spits at them.
(b) Jerks his head around to dislodge his mask.
(c) Starts to rock his body.
(d) Gets very quiet and calm.
11. How does Joe feel when the nurse leaves the room?
12. What does talking to Lucky bring Joe?
(a) A desire for Kareen.
(c) Peace and less loneliness.
(d) A desire to be a good soldier.
13. What does Joe think the hospital wants to do?
(a) Use him to teach nurses.
(b) Use him for doctors to practice on.
(c) Help him die.
(d) Keep him in darkness.
14. What does Joe ask?
(a) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(b) For them to reconsider.
(c) For them to contact his mother.
(d) For death.
15. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
(a) Kareen Birkman.
(c) One of the night nurses.
(d) A girl he met in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe's concern about asking for something?
2. How does he name the days of the week and months?
3. What does Joe's father tell him in a daydream?
4. What does Joe realize about why they respond to what he is saying?
5. What does Joe think is the key to figuring out time?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)