|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is afraid for her baby?
(a) Joe's grandmother.
(b) Joe's mother.
(c) The nurse.
2. Why is everyone in Bethlehem in the story Joe's mother reads?
(a) Paying taxes.
(b) To watch an eclipse of the sun.
(c) To flee the Romans.
(d) To go to a Christmas pageant.
3. What is Joe's reaction to the nurse's communication?
4. Joe loses track of everything but what?
(a) The nurses footsteps.
(b) His daily bath.
(d) The dawn.
5. Why does Joe keep on tapping?
(a) His neck is in a spasm.
(b) He can't stop or think.
(c) He wants the exercise.
(d) He hopes that he will die from exhaustion.
6. How does Joe feel after the man tells him what he says in question #175?
(a) He is hopeful.
(b) He is joyfully surprised.
(c) He has no hope.
(d) He feels supported.
7. Why did Bonnie Flannigan say hello to Joe?
(a) She mistook him for somone else.
(b) She thinks he's good looking.
(c) She's looking for customers.
(d) She recognized him from Shale City.
8. What does the man tell Joe when the man returns?
(a) The authorities will give it some thought.
(b) It is being arranged right now.
(c) That is a great idea.
(d) It is against regulations.
9. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
(a) A girl he met in Paris.
(c) One of the night nurses.
(d) Kareen Birkman.
10. How many times has Flannigan been married?
11. What do new nurses do with Joe?
(a) Uncover him and stare awhile.
(b) Talk endlessly to him.
(c) Treat him roughly.
(d) Treat him gently.
12. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
(a) Begs to die.
(b) Slaps him in the face.
(c) Throws himself down and cries.
(d) Runs away from him.
13. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
(a) Starts to rock his body.
(b) Spits at them.
(c) Jerks his head around to dislodge his mask.
(d) Gets very quiet and calm.
14. What happens the third year Joe is in the hospital?
(a) They find out who he is.
(b) He begins to hear a little.
(c) His mother is found.
(d) He is moved to a new room.
15. Why doesn't Joe see Laurette after graduation?
(a) She doesn't want to see him.
(b) She is on vacation and his family moves.
(c) He has fallen in love with Diane.
(d) He has decided to wait for marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe realize about patches of skin on his neck and forehead?
2. What does Joe reject as the nurse listens to his tapping?
3. How does Joe feel when the nurse leaves the room?
4. How does he feel about slaves shackled in Roman ships?
5. What does Joe's father tell him in a daydream?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)