|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe believe will happen if the new nurse walks away?
(a) He will be tortured for information.
(b) He will never have another chance to communicate.
(c) He will die.
(d) Nothing; he'll try again later.
2. How does he feel about slaves shackled in Roman ships?
(a) He is better off.
(b) He is in the same situation.
(c) They are luckier than he is.
(d) He doesn't think about slaves on ships.
3. What does Laurette give Joe for a graduation present?
(a) A ring.
(b) A pair of gold cuff links.
(c) A plush bathrobe.
(d) A silk tie.
4. Why does Joe keep on tapping?
(a) He hopes that he will die from exhaustion.
(b) His neck is in a spasm.
(c) He wants the exercise.
(d) He can't stop or think.
5. What happens the third year Joe is in the hospital?
(a) He is moved to a new room.
(b) He begins to hear a little.
(c) They find out who he is.
(d) His mother is found.
6. How often do bath and bed changes occur in relationship to nurse's visits?
(a) Every ten visits.
(b) He's not sure.
(c) Every twelve visits.
(d) Every four visits.
7. What is the doctor's response to Joe's continued tapping?
(b) He ignores Joe.
(c) Reassurance that they will let him go.
(d) A slap.
8. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
(a) Spits at them.
(b) Gets very quiet and calm.
(c) Jerks his head around to dislodge his mask.
(d) Starts to rock his body.
9. Joe loses track of everything but what?
(a) The dawn.
(b) The nurses footsteps.
(c) His daily bath.
10. Who is afraid for her baby?
(a) Joe's mother.
(b) The nurse.
(d) Joe's grandmother.
11. How long does Joe think he's been unaware of time?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) Six months.
12. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
(a) They are more sensitive to others.
(b) They laugh more.
(c) They love better.
(d) They are friends.
13. What does Joe ask of God?
(a) To help him die.
(b) To help him live.
(c) To help the nurse understand Joe is communicating.
14. How does he name the days of the week and months?
(a) In French.
(b) Like the Germans name them.
(c) So he can celebrate holidays.
(d) Like they name them in Canada.
15. To what does Joe compare himself?
(b) A chloroformed frog, helpless yet alive.
(c) The President.
(d) The newborn baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe decide he needs to offer?
2. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
3. What month and year was Joe injured?
4. What does Joe think about his teachers?
5. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)