|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
(a) When they first feed him after being without.
(b) Because of the warming on his skin.
(c) When a nurse first comes after a long time without.
(d) When the doctor comes in and takes his pulse.
2. Why does Joe keep on tapping?
(a) He can't stop or think.
(b) He hopes that he will die from exhaustion.
(c) He wants the exercise.
(d) His neck is in a spasm.
3. What does the man tell Joe when the man returns?
(a) That is a great idea.
(b) The authorities will give it some thought.
(c) It is against regulations.
(d) It is being arranged right now.
4. What does Joe decide he needs to offer?
(a) Permission for them to kill him.
(c) A means of paying for his own upkeep.
(d) An idea of how it is to suffer wounds they way he has.
5. What does Joe reject as the nurse listens to his tapping?
(a) A visit from a social worker.
(b) Anything to do with his care.
(c) A priest.
(d) Moving to his hometown.
6. How does Joe feel after the man tells him what he says in question #175?
(a) He is hopeful.
(b) He feels supported.
(c) He is joyfully surprised.
(d) He has no hope.
7. What is the first question asked of Joe?
(a) "How are you?"
(b) "What do you want?"
(c) "Where do you want to go?"
(d) "What is your name?"
8. What does Joe think he'll probably do even in his sleep?
(a) Keep seeing the past.
(b) Keep tapping.
(c) Know when the nurse comes in.
(d) Feel the sunrise.
9. What would be the advantage of people seeing Joe?
(a) They would believe in God and miracles.
(b) They would know the advances of modern medicines.
(c) It would be educational.
10. At what age does Kareen remain in Joe's mind?
11. Joe loses track of everything but what?
(a) The dawn.
(c) The nurses footsteps.
(d) His daily bath.
12. How does he feel about slaves shackled in Roman ships?
(a) He is better off.
(b) He is in the same situation.
(c) He doesn't think about slaves on ships.
(d) They are luckier than he is.
13. Why does Joe listening to a hooker feel dumb?
(a) She is well traveled.
(b) He doesn't know anything about sex.
(c) She talks about books.
(d) She corrects his grammar.
14. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
(a) He feels sad he can't see it.
(b) He flips over.
(c) He relaxes and sings in his mind.
(d) He starts to count minutes.
15. What does Joe realize about why they respond to what he is saying?
(a) They think he is insane.
(b) They are afraid men will refuse to fight anymore.
(c) They think he needs more time to recover.
(d) They do not care.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month and year was Joe injured?
2. About what does Joe worry?
3. What does Joe need most?
4. Why doesn't Joe see Laurette after graduation?
5. What do Joe and Flannigan often do together?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)