|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do new nurses do with Joe?
(a) Treat him gently.
(b) Uncover him and stare awhile.
(c) Treat him roughly.
(d) Talk endlessly to him.
2. What does Joe ask?
(a) For them to contact his mother.
(b) For death.
(c) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(d) For them to reconsider.
3. At what age does Kareen remain in Joe's mind?
4. What direction does Joe face in his third year in the hospital?
5. About what does Joe worry?
(a) That the nurse will punish him.
(b) That he offered too much.
(c) That they will try to kill him for his thoughts.
(d) That he did not express himself clearly.
6. Why does Joe listening to a hooker feel dumb?
(a) She corrects his grammar.
(b) She talks about books.
(c) She is well traveled.
(d) He doesn't know anything about sex.
7. What does the day nurse do with Joe?
(a) Slaps him on the chest to communicate.
(b) Tries to calm him.
(c) Get him to sit up.
(d) Sedates him.
8. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
(a) When a nurse first comes after a long time without.
(b) When they first feed him after being without.
(c) When the doctor comes in and takes his pulse.
(d) Because of the warming on his skin.
9. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
(a) Runs away from him.
(b) Slaps him in the face.
(c) Begs to die.
(d) Throws himself down and cries.
10. What does Joe need most?
(a) Someone to love him.
(c) Room to breathe.
(d) A room with a view.
11. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
(a) He will know sunset too.
(b) He can count minutes.
(c) Dawn can never be taken away from him.
(d) He will always know what time it is.
12. What happens the third year Joe is in the hospital?
(a) He begins to hear a little.
(b) He is moved to a new room.
(c) His mother is found.
(d) They find out who he is.
13. In Joe's dream what can Jesus do?
(b) Restore Joe's arms and legs.
(c) Serve brandy.
(d) Anything but hit a twelve.
14. What does Joe think about life?
(a) It is good to be alive.
(b) It is eternal.
(c) It is wasted.
(d) Life is great.
15. To what does Joe compare himself?
(a) A chloroformed frog, helpless yet alive.
(b) The President.
(c) The newborn baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe feel when the nurse leaves the room?
2. What does Joe reject as the nurse listens to his tapping?
3. What does Joe assume when he feels the nurse's hand for the fifth time?
4. What does Joe decide he needs to offer?
5. What does Joe believe he must do now?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)