|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lucky survive in America?
(a) The Chicago fire.
(b) The San Francisco earthquake.
(c) The eruption of St. Helena.
(d) A tidal wave in Crescent City.
2. How does Joe feel after the man tells him what he says in question #175?
(a) He feels supported.
(b) He is joyfully surprised.
(c) He has no hope.
(d) He is hopeful.
3. What do the visitors leave with Joe?
(a) A new face mask.
(b) Some get well cards.
(d) A medal.
4. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are more sensitive to others.
(c) They love better.
(d) They laugh more.
5. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Learn how to think.
(b) Figure out how much of his body is left.
(c) Figure out where he is.
(d) Try again to kill himself.
6. What does Joe ask?
(a) For them to contact his mother.
(b) To be let out of the hospital to fend for himself.
(c) For death.
(d) For them to reconsider.
7. What does Joe assume when he feels the nurse's hand for the fifth time?
(a) It is 8 A.M.
(b) It is 4 A.M.
(c) It is time to sleep.
(d) It is midnight.
8. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
(b) A girl he met in Paris.
(c) Kareen Birkman.
(d) One of the night nurses.
9. What does Joe realize about patches of skin on his neck and forehead?
(a) They are beginning to heal.
(b) They are scaly.
(c) Some are uncovered and healthy.
(d) They itch.
10. Joe loses track of everything but what?
(a) His daily bath.
(b) The nurses footsteps.
(c) The dawn.
11. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
(a) He will always know what time it is.
(b) He can count minutes.
(c) Dawn can never be taken away from him.
(d) He will know sunset too.
12. What direction does Joe face in his third year in the hospital?
13. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
(a) Medium height, blond and older.
(b) Large, dark haired and young.
(c) Middle-aged, gray-haired, and large.
(d) Small and young.
14. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
(b) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
(c) It's the closest hospital.
(d) The smell is of the English heather.
15. Where does Joe say they can take him?
(b) To be viewed by those who make decisions about war.
(c) To hell.
(d) To the zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what side of the hospital is Joe's room?
2. To whom does Joe compare himself?
3. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
4. What is the first question asked of Joe?
5. What does Christ tell the guys about the music they are hearing?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)