|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does he name the days of the week and months?
(a) Like they name them in Canada.
(b) Like the Germans name them.
(c) In French.
(d) So he can celebrate holidays.
2. What does Joe believe will happen if the new nurse walks away?
(a) He will never have another chance to communicate.
(b) He will be tortured for information.
(c) He will die.
(d) Nothing; he'll try again later.
3. Why does Joe decide a particular day is New Year's Day?
(a) He just felt like having a holiday.
(b) He feels fireworks.
(c) He has had 4765 baths.
(d) He has counted 365 days.
4. Why is everyone in Bethlehem in the story Joe's mother reads?
(a) To flee the Romans.
(b) To go to a Christmas pageant.
(c) Paying taxes.
(d) To watch an eclipse of the sun.
5. How does Joe first start trying to keep track of time?
(a) Counting minutes.
(b) Counting the number of times the door opens.
(c) Counting hours.
(d) Counting seconds.
6. What did Lucky survive in America?
(a) The eruption of St. Helena.
(b) The Chicago fire.
(c) The San Francisco earthquake.
(d) A tidal wave in Crescent City.
7. What is one thing Joe says can be invented as a result of others seeing him?
(b) A better way to let soldiers die with dignity.
(c) New nursery rhymes.
(d) A better prothesis.
8. What does Bonham sense as this chapter opens?
(a) That there is much bustle in the halls.
(b) That the hospital is under attack.
(c) That a new nurse is caring for him.
(d) That he is dying.
9. What is it that is coming for Joe as he leaves Paris?
(a) A German bomb.
(b) A letter from Kareen.
(c) Two pairs of new pants.
(d) A birthday cake.
10. What occurs to Joe about vibrations and moving?
(a) He can feel how many people are in the room.
(b) He can feel vibrations in his stomach.
(c) He can feel a breeze.
(d) He can tap out Morse code.
11. What does Joe need most?
(a) A room with a view.
(b) Someone to love him.
(d) Room to breathe.
12. What does Joe think he'll probably do even in his sleep?
(a) Keep seeing the past.
(b) Keep tapping.
(c) Know when the nurse comes in.
(d) Feel the sunrise.
13. Joe loses track of everything but what?
(a) The nurses footsteps.
(b) The dawn.
(c) His daily bath.
14. What is Joe's thought about the question?
(a) He wants out.
(b) He doesn't want to give his name.
(c) He wants to go home.
(d) He is terrible.
15. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
(a) Begs to die.
(b) Runs away from him.
(c) Throws himself down and cries.
(d) Slaps him in the face.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Joe worry?
2. To whom does Joe compare himself?
3. What is Joe's concern about asking for something?
4. Why does Joe listening to a hooker feel dumb?
5. Why do the American boys like Lucky in Paris?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)