|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe feel when the nurse leaves the room?
2. What does Laurette give Joe for a graduation present?
(a) A pair of gold cuff links.
(b) A silk tie.
(c) A plush bathrobe.
(d) A ring.
3. Why does Joe keep on tapping?
(a) He hopes that he will die from exhaustion.
(b) He can't stop or think.
(c) He wants the exercise.
(d) His neck is in a spasm.
4. What is the doctor's response to Joe's continued tapping?
(a) A slap.
(b) Reassurance that they will let him go.
(d) He ignores Joe.
5. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Figure out where he is.
(b) Learn how to think.
(c) Figure out how much of his body is left.
(d) Try again to kill himself.
6. What does Bonham sense as this chapter opens?
(a) That there is much bustle in the halls.
(b) That he is dying.
(c) That the hospital is under attack.
(d) That a new nurse is caring for him.
7. What is the first question asked of Joe?
(a) "Where do you want to go?"
(b) "How are you?"
(c) "What is your name?"
(d) "What do you want?"
8. What would be the advantage of people seeing Joe?
(a) They would know the advances of modern medicines.
(b) They would believe in God and miracles.
(c) It would be educational.
9. What do Joe and Flannigan often do together?
(a) Have breakfast.
(b) Go to the library.
(c) Steal from a store.
(d) Have sex.
10. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
(a) Because of the warming on his skin.
(b) When they first feed him after being without.
(c) When the doctor comes in and takes his pulse.
(d) When a nurse first comes after a long time without.
11. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
(a) Jerks his head around to dislodge his mask.
(b) Starts to rock his body.
(c) Gets very quiet and calm.
(d) Spits at them.
12. How does he name the days of the week and months?
(a) Like the Germans name them.
(b) In French.
(c) Like they name them in Canada.
(d) So he can celebrate holidays.
13. How does he feel about slaves shackled in Roman ships?
(a) He doesn't think about slaves on ships.
(b) He is in the same situation.
(c) He is better off.
(d) They are luckier than he is.
14. What direction does Joe face in his third year in the hospital?
15. Where does Joe say they can take him?
(a) To the zoo.
(b) To be viewed by those who make decisions about war.
(d) To hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
2. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
3. Who announces that it's time to board the train?
4. What do the visitors leave with Joe?
5. What does Joe think about his teachers?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)