|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe's father tell him in a daydream?
(a) Death and life are the same.
(b) Death is better than worrying.
(c) Life is better than death.
(d) Joe will be joining him soon.
2. Why won't the Scotchman fight the Bavarian?
(a) His mother is Bavarian.
(b) He is related to the Bavarian crown prince.
(c) He thinks their crown prince is the rightful king of England.
(d) His father is Bavarian.
3. What does the day nurse do with Joe?
(a) Tries to calm him.
(b) Slaps him on the chest to communicate.
(c) Get him to sit up.
(d) Sedates him.
4. What does Christ tell the guys about the music they are hearing?
(a) It's a new type of rock and roll.
(b) It's from the military band.
(c) It's music to heal them.
(d) It's the music of death.
5. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Figure out where he is.
(b) Figure out how much of his body is left.
(c) Learn how to think.
(d) Try again to kill himself.
6. What does the man tell Joe when the man returns?
(a) It is being arranged right now.
(b) That is a great idea.
(c) The authorities will give it some thought.
(d) It is against regulations.
7. What is the first question asked of Joe?
(a) "How are you?"
(b) "What is your name?"
(c) "What do you want?"
(d) "Where do you want to go?"
8. What do the Americans wish they were drinking?
(a) Corn whiskey.
(b) Soda pop.
(c) American beer.
9. How long does Joe figure it will take for him to feel warmth on his skin?
(a) Several days.
(b) A couple of months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) Half a year.
10. What occurs to Joe about vibrations and moving?
(a) He can feel a breeze.
(b) He can feel how many people are in the room.
(c) He can feel vibrations in his stomach.
(d) He can tap out Morse code.
11. In his fourth year what does Joe feel that is different?
(a) He begins to be able to feel his legs.
(b) He can feel more of the nurses' hands on him.
(c) He feels bustling and chattering in his room.
(d) He can feel he's outside.
12. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
(a) Starts to rock his body.
(b) Gets very quiet and calm.
(c) Jerks his head around to dislodge his mask.
(d) Spits at them.
13. What does Joe compare himself to now, in the hospital?
(a) A medical miracle.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) A corpse.
(d) An angel.
14. What does Joe think about life?
(a) Life is great.
(b) It is good to be alive.
(c) It is wasted.
(d) It is eternal.
15. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
(a) Middle-aged, gray-haired, and large.
(b) Large, dark haired and young.
(c) Medium height, blond and older.
(d) Small and young.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Joe think he's been unaware of time?
2. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
3. What does Joe realize about why they respond to what he is saying?
4. How does Joe first start trying to keep track of time?
5. What did Lucky survive in America?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)