|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Joe compare himself?
(a) The Pope.
(b) No one.
(c) Other circus exhibits.
(d) His brother.
2. What do Joe and Flannigan often do together?
(a) Have sex.
(b) Have breakfast.
(c) Go to the library.
(d) Steal from a store.
3. What does Joe realize about patches of skin on his neck and forehead?
(a) They itch.
(b) Some are uncovered and healthy.
(c) They are beginning to heal.
(d) They are scaly.
4. What would be the advantage of people seeing Joe?
(a) They would know the advances of modern medicines.
(b) It would be educational.
(c) They would believe in God and miracles.
5. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
(a) He will always know what time it is.
(b) Dawn can never be taken away from him.
(c) He will know sunset too.
(d) He can count minutes.
6. What does Joe's father tell him in a daydream?
(a) Death is better than worrying.
(b) Life is better than death.
(c) Joe will be joining him soon.
(d) Death and life are the same.
7. What does the man tell Joe when the man returns?
(a) The authorities will give it some thought.
(b) It is against regulations.
(c) It is being arranged right now.
(d) That is a great idea.
8. What direction does Joe face in his third year in the hospital?
9. What is the new nurse writing on Joe's chest?
(a) Happy Easter.
(b) Who are you.
(c) The war is over.
(d) Merry Christmas.
10. What does Joe think about his mother reading?
(a) "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
(b) The tale of Jesus's crucifixion.
(c) An answer to who he is.
(d) "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."
11. Who announces that it's time to board the train?
(a) The redhead.
(c) The Swede.
12. About what does Joe worry?
(a) That they will try to kill him for his thoughts.
(b) That he did not express himself clearly.
(c) That the nurse will punish him.
(d) That he offered too much.
13. Why do the American boys like Lucky in Paris?
(a) She is a great prostitute.
(b) She always has time for them.
(c) She is sexy.
(d) She reminds them of American fun.
14. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Try again to kill himself.
(b) Figure out how much of his body is left.
(c) Figure out where he is.
(d) Learn how to think.
15. Why does Joe decide a particular day is New Year's Day?
(a) He has had 4765 baths.
(b) He has counted 365 days.
(c) He just felt like having a holiday.
(d) He feels fireworks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
2. Who comes in the room and prods Joe's body?
3. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
4. How does Joe feel about those who hold him?
5. What does Joe do when he realizes he has a number of visitors?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)