|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the following title: "The Arts of..."
2. What does the author say the revelations in the New Testament were defined by?
3. Which authority figure does the author describe as charming?
4. How was James different from Jesus?
5. What is the first idea that the author challenges about Jesus in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the reasons Jesus went to Jerusalem?
2. In what way does the author think Jesus trod a fine line between the passive and direct forms of confrontation?
3. In what way could Christians have a problem with the author factualizing the crucifixion?
4. What influence does the author suggest that the Cynics had on Jesus' teachings?
5. What was Jesus' opinion of Bethany?
6. What parallels does cross-cultural research draw between Jesus' teachings and other philosophies?
7. Why did Jesus' followers reinterpret history to suit their own purposes?
8. What effect did the patrron/client relationship have on Greco-Roman society?
9. How influential does the author think other philosophies were on Jesus' teachings?
10. Describe the quotes at the beginning of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was society so in need of a spiritual leader like Jesus? How did Jesus take advantage of this need?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following historical figures in Crossan's book and discuss how Crossan represents them in the book and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Crossan's representation of that person's life?
1. Jesus Christ.
2. John the Baptist.
3. James the Just.
4. Herod Antipas.
Essay Topic 3
What was the relationship between John the Baptist and Jesus? How does Christianity like to view the relationship between John the Baptist and Jesus? How does John the Baptist influence Jesus?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)