|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Greek philosophers does the author say inspired Jesus?
2. Complete the following title: "The Dogs Beneath the... "
3. What is the name of the man Jesus was said to have brought to life?
4. Which of the following does the author not mention as one of the constraints Jesus lived under?
5. What does the author say defined the actions and intentions of anyone who helped write the New Testament?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the author think Jesus trod a fine line between the passive and direct forms of confrontation?
2. Why does the author quote extensively from the gospel of St. Luke?
3. What were the reasons Jesus went to Jerusalem?
4. What does the quote at the beginning of part six comment on?
5. How influential does the author think other philosophies were on Jesus' teachings?
6. In what way does the author think Jesus challenged society by touching the leper?
7. Why did Jesus' followers reinterpret history to suit their own purposes?
8. What does the author say about Barabbas in this section?
9. What does the author say about Paul's revelation of Jesus' power and truth?
10. What influence does the author suggest that the Cynics had on Jesus' teachings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author think the gospels used the Old Testament and its prophecies for the New Testament? What are the arguments for and against the gospels mining the Old Testament for information?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following historical figures in Crossan's book and discuss how Crossan represents them in the book and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Crossan's representation of that person's life?
1. Jesus Christ.
2. John the Baptist.
3. James the Just.
4. Herod Antipas.
Essay Topic 3
Why was society so in need of a spiritual leader like Jesus? How did Jesus take advantage of this need?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)