|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the first chapter?
2. What country did Jesus flee for?
3. What does Virgil say clothes the lambs as the graze?
4. Which of Jesus' ideas does the author call profoundly radical?
5. Which of the following did Jesus not see as an oppressing force?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about Paul's revelation of Jesus' power and truth?
2. Why did Jesus' followers reinterpret history to suit their own purposes?
3. How does the author interpret the story of Jesus casting demons into a herd of pigs?
4. What does the quote at the beginning of part five comment on?
5. Who was Emperor Constantine?
6. Summarize the two quotes that open this chapter.
7. What does the author say is the intention of Jesus' nature miracles?
8. What influence does the author suggest that the Cynics had on Jesus' teachings?
9. In what way does the author think Jesus trod a fine line between the passive and direct forms of confrontation?
10. What does the author say Jesus' parable about mustard seeds implicate?
Essay Topic 1
What were the differences between Jesus and John the Baptist's teachings? Why did Jesus' ideas become the foundation for the Christian faith rather than John the Baptist's?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the four gospels.
1. What are the similarities and differences between the four gospels?
2. In what way could the four gospels be said to contradict one another?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following stories from the New Testament and discuss in which ways they could be said to be either metaphorical or based on myth.
1. Walking on Water.
2. The fish and loaves.
3. The resurrection.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)