|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jesus teach that the Kingdom of God was?
2. Who did Josephus defend to Nero in 64 C.E.?
3. What was the name of Celsus' book that attacked religion?
4. Who did Jesus imply is responsible for the suffering of the destitute?
5. Which of the following did Jesus see as something that oppressed people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author think crucifixion was the ultimate form of punishment?
2. How influential does the author think other philosophies were on Jesus' teachings?
3. What does the author say is the intention of Jesus' nature miracles?
4. What do the two quotes at the beginning of the section comment on?
5. Who was Emperor Constantine?
6. What do the quotes at the beginning of the section comment on?
7. What was Jesus' opinion of Bethany?
8. Summarize the two quotes that open this chapter.
9. What influence does the author say he hopes his book has on Christian research?
10. What parallels does cross-cultural research draw between Jesus' teachings and other philosophies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the four gospels.
1. What are the similarities and differences between the four gospels?
2. In what way could the four gospels be said to contradict one another?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following historical figures in Crossan's book and discuss how Crossan represents them in the book and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Crossan's representation of that person's life?
1. Jesus Christ.
2. John the Baptist.
3. James the Just.
4. Herod Antipas.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)