|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What approach to life did John the Baptist see as the way to live a spiritual life?
2. How do scholars know that Jesus was not middle-class?
3. What kind of seed did Jesus once compare the Kingdom of God to?
4. What aristocratic Jewish historian does the author draw on to examine the Greco-Roman period?
5. What did Bishop Butler say probability is the guide of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's process of research.
2. Why did the Romans want to suppress both John the Baptist and Jesus?
3. What does the author say compounds the core problem of the different interpretations of Jesus' life?
4. What does the author say Jesus' parable about mustard seeds implicate?
5. What did Jesus say to the author in an imaginary dialogue the author wrote as part of an article?
6. In One Like a Son of Man what does the author say the original biblical text suggested was a key component of Jesus' teachings?
7. What does it mean that Jesus was an artisan?
8. What were the differences between the Baptists and Jesus' teachings?
9. What did ancient society believe about children that were not accepted by their father?
10. What is the Q Gospel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jesus' early life.
1. What was Jesus' upbringing and how did it influence his teachings.
2. What evidence is there to say that Jesus' upbringing as represented in the bible is not historically accurate.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author think the gospels used the Old Testament and its prophecies for the New Testament? What are the arguments for and against the gospels mining the Old Testament for information?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could Jesus be said to be an individualist? How have Jesus' teaching of individualism effected modern society?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)