|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did people view mustard during the time of Jesus?
2. How does Matthew say Joseph responded to hearing that his wife was pregnant?
3. What aristocratic Jewish historian does the author draw on to examine the Greco-Roman period?
4. Why did Herod have a grudge against John the Baptist?
5. What does Res Gestae Divi Augusti translate as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author claim is the primary focus of Josephus' writings?
2. In terms of upbringing why does the author say he questions the Jesus represented in the New Testament?
3. Why does the author think Christians are uncomfortable with the idea that John the Baptist baptized Jesus?
4. What does the author say compounds the core problem of the different interpretations of Jesus' life?
5. What does the author think Jesus meant by "focus not just on personal or individual abuse of power but on such abuse in its systemic [form]."?
6. What comparisons does the author draw between Luke and Matthew's gospels?
7. What did Jesus say to the author in an imaginary dialogue the author wrote as part of an article?
8. Why did the Romans want to suppress both John the Baptist and Jesus?
9. Why does the author think that people have interpreted Jesus as being as messianic and apocalyptic as John the Baptist?
10. What did ancient society believe about children that were not accepted by their father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following historical figures in Crossan's book and discuss how Crossan represents them in the book and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Crossan's representation of that person's life?
1. Jesus Christ.
2. John the Baptist.
3. James the Just.
4. Herod Antipas.
Essay Topic 2
How much has Jesus' teaching influenced modern society? How different would it have been if John the Baptist became known as the Chosen One?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author think the gospels used the Old Testament and its prophecies for the New Testament? What are the arguments for and against the gospels mining the Old Testament for information?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)