|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Jesus does the author say he is trying to locate?
2. Where does Celsus say religion took its root?
3. What approach to life did John the Baptist see as the way to live a spiritual life?
4. What did Simeon say Jesus is destined for?
5. What sea does the author describe as cruel and beautiful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say Jesus' parable about mustard seeds implicate?
2. Why does the author state there is a need to search for the historical Jesus?
3. Why does the author think Christians are uncomfortable with the idea that John the Baptist baptized Jesus?
4. How does the author describe the class structure during Roman times?
5. Why does the author think the gospels say that the governor executed Baptist because he criticized his sexual activities?
6. Why did the Romans want to suppress both John the Baptist and Jesus?
7. What parallels does the author draw between Augustus and Jesus' life?
8. What did Jesus teach about the breakup of the family?
9. What does the quote at the beginning of this section comment on?
10. What does the author say the book taught him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your views on Christianity after reading the book? What are the argument for and against for and against the book being anti-Christian? What are are your views on the author's argument in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How much has Jesus' teaching influenced modern society? How different would it have been if John the Baptist became known as the Chosen One?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following stories from the New Testament and discuss in which ways they could be said to be either metaphorical or based on myth.
1. Walking on Water.
2. The fish and loaves.
3. The resurrection.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)