|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Josephus defend to Nero in 64 C.E.?
2. Which Jesus does the author say he is trying to locate?
3. Which of Jesus' disciples talks about his baptism?
4. What do Matthew and Luke both agree on in their testaments?
5. Complete the following title: "One Like a Son of..."
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparisons does the author draw between Luke and Matthew's gospels?
2. Why does the author state there is a need to search for the historical Jesus?
3. What does the author say are his intentions in this book?
4. What does the author claim is the primary focus of Josephus' writings?
5. How does the author think the Old Testament was important in the writing of the New Testament?
6. Why did the Romans want to suppress both John the Baptist and Jesus?
7. What does the quote at the beginning of this section comment on?
8. What did Jesus teach about the breakup of the family?
9. What does it mean that Jesus was an artisan?
10. What does the author say compounds the core problem of the different interpretations of Jesus' life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the four gospels.
1. What are the similarities and differences between the four gospels?
2. In what way could the four gospels be said to contradict one another?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jesus' early life.
1. What was Jesus' upbringing and how did it influence his teachings.
2. What evidence is there to say that Jesus' upbringing as represented in the bible is not historically accurate.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)