|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virgil say clothes the lambs as the graze?
2. Who baptized Jesus?
3. What does divi filius translate as?
4. What words does the author use to describe John the Baptist's style of preaching?
5. What do Matthew and Luke both agree on in their testaments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the book.
2. Why does the author think it is ironic that Constantine helped define the Christian faith?
3. What did Jesus teach about the breakup of the family?
4. Why does the author think Jesus' followers developed stories about what happened to Jesus' body?
5. What did Jesus say to the author in an imaginary dialogue the author wrote as part of an article?
6. What effect did the patrron/client relationship have on Greco-Roman society?
7. What comparisons does the author draw between Luke and Matthew's gospels?
8. What influence does the author suggest that the Cynics had on Jesus' teachings?
9. What did ancient society believe about children that were not accepted by their father?
10. What does the author think Jesus meant by "focus not just on personal or individual abuse of power but on such abuse in its systemic [form]."?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author think the gospels used the Old Testament and its prophecies for the New Testament? What are the arguments for and against the gospels mining the Old Testament for information?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the four gospels.
1. What are the similarities and differences between the four gospels?
2. In what way could the four gospels be said to contradict one another?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jesus' early life.
1. What was Jesus' upbringing and how did it influence his teachings.
2. What evidence is there to say that Jesus' upbringing as represented in the bible is not historically accurate.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)