Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virgil say clothes the lambs as the graze?
2. Who baptized Jesus?
3. What does divi filius translate as?
4. What words does the author use to describe John the Baptist's style of preaching?
5. What do Matthew and Luke both agree on in their testaments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the book.
2. Why does the author think it is ironic that Constantine helped define the Christian faith?
3. What did Jesus teach about the breakup of the family?
4. Why does the author think Jesus' followers developed stories about what happened to Jesus' body?
5. What did Jesus say to the author in an imaginary dialogue the author wrote as part of an article?
6. What effect did the patrron/client relationship have on Greco-Roman society?
7. What comparisons does the author draw between Luke and Matthew's gospels?
8. What influence does the author suggest that the Cynics had on Jesus' teachings?
9. What did ancient society believe about children that were not accepted by their father?
10. What does the author think Jesus meant by "focus not just on personal or individual abuse of power but on such abuse in its systemic [form]."?
Essay Topic 1
What were the differences between Jesus and John the Baptist's teachings? Why did Jesus' ideas become the foundation for the Christian faith rather than John the Baptist's?
Essay Topic 2
How did Josephus represent John the Baptist? In what way and why was Josephus's representation of John the Baptist restricted by the government at the time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)