|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Roman Emperor had a birthday on the 23rd of September?
2. Complete the following title: "One Like a Son of..."
3. What sea does the author describe as cruel and beautiful?
4. Who ruled during basileia?
5. Who did people think a child had to have been acknowledged by to be someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. In One Like a Son of Man what does the author say the original biblical text suggested was a key component of Jesus' teachings?
2. Why does the author state there is a need to search for the historical Jesus?
3. What comparisons does the author draw between Luke and Matthew's gospels?
4. What did Jesus teach about the breakup of the family?
5. What does the author say are his intentions in this book?
6. What does the title "The Trojan Caesar Comes refer to?
7. What does the author think Jesus meant by "focus not just on personal or individual abuse of power but on such abuse in its systemic [form]."?
8. Describe the author's process of research.
9. In terms of upbringing why does the author say he questions the Jesus represented in the New Testament?
10. Why does the author think Christians are uncomfortable with the idea that John the Baptist baptized Jesus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much has Jesus' teaching influenced modern society? How different would it have been if John the Baptist became known as the Chosen One?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following stories from the New Testament and discuss in which ways they could be said to be either metaphorical or based on myth.
1. Walking on Water.
2. The fish and loaves.
3. The resurrection.
Essay Topic 3
What different variation does the Q Gospel give on Jesus' teachings? How do the Christians view the Q Gospel?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)