|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does the author use to describe John the Baptist's style of preaching?
2. Who did Jesus imply is responsible for the suffering of the destitute?
3. What did Jesus teach that the Kingdom of God was?
4. What was Josephus in charge of in the First Roman-Jewish war?
5. What concept does the quote talk about at the beginning of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. In terms of upbringing why does the author say he questions the Jesus represented in the New Testament?
2. What does it mean that Jesus was an artisan?
3. Why does the author think Christians are uncomfortable with the idea that John the Baptist baptized Jesus?
4. Why does the author state there is a need to search for the historical Jesus?
5. What does the author think Jesus meant by poor?
6. Describe the author's process of research.
7. What did Jesus teach about the breakup of the family?
8. What do the quotes at the beginning of the section comment on?
9. What does the author say Jesus' parable about mustard seeds implicate?
10. Why does the author think the gospels say that the governor executed Baptist because he criticized his sexual activities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was society so in need of a spiritual leader like Jesus? How did Jesus take advantage of this need?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following stories from the New Testament and discuss in which ways they could be said to be either metaphorical or based on myth.
1. Walking on Water.
2. The fish and loaves.
3. The resurrection.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following vectors the author used to present his argument aspects of that vector and how the author uses it to come to his conclusion.
2. Jewish and Greco-Roman history.
3. Literal and textual interpretation.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)