|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Part Three?
2. Who ruled Judea from 37 to 4 B.C.E?
3. What was the name of Celsus' book that attacked religion?
4. What does divi filius translate as?
5. What does Res Gestae Divi Augusti translate as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author think that people have interpreted Jesus as being as messianic and apocalyptic as John the Baptist?
2. Describe the author's process of research.
3. Why does the author think Christians are uncomfortable with the idea that John the Baptist baptized Jesus?
4. What did ancient society believe about children that were not accepted by their father?
5. Why does the author think the gospels say that the governor executed Baptist because he criticized his sexual activities?
6. What does the title "The Trojan Caesar Comes refer to?
7. What does the author claim is the primary focus of Josephus' writings?
8. Why does the author state there is a need to search for the historical Jesus?
9. What were the differences between the Baptists and Jesus' teachings?
10. What does the author think Jesus meant by "focus not just on personal or individual abuse of power but on such abuse in its systemic [form]."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the relationship between John the Baptist and Jesus? How does Christianity like to view the relationship between John the Baptist and Jesus? How does John the Baptist influence Jesus?
Essay Topic 2
What different variation does Joseph's Gospel give on Jesus' teachings? How do the Christians view Joseph's Gospel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author think the gospels used myth New Testament? What are the arguments for and against the gospels use of myth?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)