|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Matthew and Luke both agree on in their testaments?
2. Where does Celsus say religion took its root?
3. Who does Matthew say Jesus escaped from as a child?
4. Who baptized Jesus?
5. What was the name of Celsus' book that attacked religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author think the gospels say that the governor executed Baptist because he criticized his sexual activities?
2. What comparisons does the author draw between Luke and Matthew's gospels?
3. What does the author claim is the primary focus of Josephus' writings?
4. What does the title "The Trojan Caesar Comes refer to?
5. What does the author say Jesus' parable about mustard seeds implicate?
6. What does the quote at the beginning of this section comment on?
7. Why does the author state there is a need to search for the historical Jesus?
8. What influence does the author say he hopes his book has on Christian research?
9. What does the author think Jesus meant by "focus not just on personal or individual abuse of power but on such abuse in its systemic [form]."?
10. What does it mean that Jesus was an artisan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What different variation does Joseph's Gospel give on Jesus' teachings? How do the Christians view Joseph's Gospel?
Essay Topic 2
What were the differences between Jesus and John the Baptist's teachings? Why did Jesus' ideas become the foundation for the Christian faith rather than John the Baptist's?
Essay Topic 3
Why was society so in need of a spiritual leader like Jesus? How did Jesus take advantage of this need?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)