|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two people is the narrator calling for in the streets in Story 8?
2. What is Pig Alley?
3. According to the narrator of Story 9, Happy Hour is also referred to as ________.
4. Why does the narrator go to the Savoy Hotel in Story 7?
5. Who says in Story 8, "In Warsaw, my city, we drive in the park after twelve in the night, but the rules are saying no, you must not go to the park after this time, 12pm middle-night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
2. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
3. Discuss the relevance of the baby rabbits to Story 6.
4. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
5. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
6. Discuss the significance of the two men at the hospital the narrator sees in Story 8.
7. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
8. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
9. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
10. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Show how the author's manipulation of time contributes to the effectiveness of Jesus' Son as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze, discuss, and explain the significance the following quote found in Story 1: "I knew every raindrop by its name. I sensed everything before it happened. I knew a certain Oldsmobile would stop for me even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside it I knew we'd have an accident in the storm. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way."
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the significance of the books title, Jesus' Son. How is the title developed throughout the book? What literary devices does the author use to develop the title?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)