|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Georgie run over in Story 6?
2. Who is out in front of the abortion building in Story 7?
3. In the Story 7 narrator's flashback, how many shots did Michelle fire at him?
4. In Story 7, the narrator recalls that on his ________ birthday, Michelle tried to ________ the narrator.
5. What type of accent does the "second man" have in Story 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
2. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
3. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
4. Who does the term "other man" refer to in Story 8.
5. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
6. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
7. Discuss the significance of the two men at the hospital the narrator sees in Story 8.
8. Discuss the relationship between John Smith and Michelle.
9. Discuss the relevance of the baby rabbits to Story 6.
10. Briefly discuss the three train rides the narrator recalls in Story 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of the need for and the value of human contact. Which character from Jesus' Son does this theme encompass the most?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the narrator can be defined as a tragic figure. Explain how the suffering brought upon others by the narrator contributes to the tragic vision of the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze, discuss, and explain the significance the following quote found in Story 1: "I knew every raindrop by its name. I sensed everything before it happened. I knew a certain Oldsmobile would stop for me even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside it I knew we'd have an accident in the storm. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way."
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)