|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Around 3:30am, a guy with a _______ in his ________ comes into the hospital in Story 6.
2. What is Happy Hour as it is referred to in Story 9?
3. What does Georgie believe to be all over the Operating Room floor in Story 6?
4. In Story 7, what do the picketers outside the abortion clinic throw at the narrator when he leaves the building?
5. Where does Georgie tell the narrator he wants to go in Story 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
2. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
3. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
4. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
5. What happens when the narrator goes to visit a pair of friends in Story 8?
6. Who does the term "other man" refer to in Story 8.
7. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
8. In what way is the large horse pill the narrator receives in Story 9 a prize for the narrator?
9. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
10. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you show how a character who appears briefly or not at all has a significant presence. Show how such character functions in the book. Discuss how the character affects action, theme, or the development of other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ending of Jesus' Son. Explain precisely how and why the ending appropriately or inappropriately concludes the book.
Essay Topic 3
Show how a conventional or stereotyped character or characters found within Jesus' Son function to achieve the author's overall purpose of the book.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)