|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the wounded man in the Emergency Room in Story 6?
2. How long has the narrator been working at the hospital in Story 6?
3. How long does Happy Hour last in Story 9?
4. What two people is the narrator calling for in the streets in Story 8?
5. What is the name of the tavern across from the hospital that the narrator goes to in Story 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the term "other man" refer to in Story 8.
2. Where does the action of the second part of Story 8 take place? Describe this location.
3. How did Bill receive his bullet holes? How do these bullet holes haunt Bill?
4. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
5. In what way is the title "Emergency" a direct metaphor of the narrator's life in Story 6?
6. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
7. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
8. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
9. Briefly describe the "second man" in Story 8.
10. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the narrator can be defined as a tragic figure. Explain how the suffering brought upon others by the narrator contributes to the tragic vision of the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you explain the religious allusion that predominates in Jesus' Son, and analyze how it enhances the book's overall meaning.
Essay Topic 3
Present arguments for and against Jesus' Son's relevance for a person around the same age as the narrator living in 1973.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)