|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Georgie referring to when he says, "We killed the mother and saved the children"?
2. According to the narrator in Story 7, Michelle leaves him permanently for a man named ________.
3. What part of the hospital is the narrator working at in Story 6?
4. What type of accent does the "second man" have in Story 8?
5. What is Pig Alley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
2. Discuss the relationship between John Smith and Michelle.
3. What happens when the narrator goes to visit a pair of friends in Story 8?
4. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
5. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
6. Who does the term "other man" refer to in Story 8.
7. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
8. Briefly discuss the three train rides the narrator recalls in Story 7.
9. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
10. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the symbolic value of the broken brakes on the narrator's car, as referred to in Story 2: "Two Men" and Story 4: "Dundun." What actions, circumstances, and attitudes not only in those two stories but in the collection as a whole are represented?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the significance of the books title, Jesus' Son. How is the title developed throughout the book? What literary devices does the author use to develop the title?
Essay Topic 3
Select a moment or scene from Jesus' Son that you find especially memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the moment or scene, explain its relationship to the book, and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)