|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in Story 8, ________ is Seattle's much favored sad jukebox song.
2. What is the movie about that the Story 7 narrator watches at the abortion clinic?
3. According to the narrator in Story 10, the nurses at the hospital are pumping ________ by the quart.
4. How much money does Nez Perce say the narrator owes him in Story 9?
5. What is the name of the tavern across from the hospital that the narrator goes to in Story 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
2. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
3. Discuss the significance of the two men at the hospital the narrator sees in Story 8.
4. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
5. Discuss the relevance of the baby rabbits to Story 6.
6. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
7. Where does the action of the second part of Story 8 take place? Describe this location.
8. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
9. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
10. What happens when the narrator goes to visit a pair of friends in Story 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance and affect of the narrator being without a name. How does this characteristic contribute to the overall message of Jesus' Son?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the narrator can be defined as a tragic figure. Explain how the suffering brought upon others by the narrator contributes to the tragic vision of the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the connection between Story 3: "Out on Bail" and Story 6: "Emergency."
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)