|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Nez Perce say the narrator owes him in Story 9?
2. What is the name of the narrator's girlfriend in Story 7?
3. What type of vehicle does the "second man" in Story 8 drive?
4. When Bill looks back at his life, he says he sees _______.
5. According to the narrator in Story 7, Michelle leaves him permanently for a man named ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
2. Briefly describe the "second man" in Story 8.
3. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
4. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
5. In what way is the large horse pill the narrator receives in Story 9 a prize for the narrator?
6. In what way is the title "Emergency" a direct metaphor of the narrator's life in Story 6?
7. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
8. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
9. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
10. Where does the action of the second part of Story 8 take place? Describe this location.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you explore the issue of addiction and its influence as seen throughout the book Jesus' Son.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the narrator can be defined as a tragic figure. Explain how the suffering brought upon others by the narrator contributes to the tragic vision of the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze, discuss, and explain the significance the following quote found in Story 1: "I knew every raindrop by its name. I sensed everything before it happened. I knew a certain Oldsmobile would stop for me even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside it I knew we'd have an accident in the storm. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way."
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)