|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the narrator been working at the hospital in Story 6?
2. According to the narrator of Story 6, where he is now, how many weeks of winter occur in September?
3. What is the "second man's" real name?
4. According to the narrator in Story 8, where does the narrator meet the "second man"?
5. While hiking through the woods in Story 6, the narrator and Georgie stumble upon what they think is a(n) ________, but it is actually a(n) ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the "second man" in Story 8.
2. Briefly discuss the three train rides the narrator recalls in Story 7.
3. Discuss the significance of the two men at the hospital the narrator sees in Story 8.
4. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
5. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
6. How did Bill receive his bullet holes? How do these bullet holes haunt Bill?
7. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
8. Who is the only female in Story 7 that is given a name? Why is she the only one the narrator names?
9. Discuss the relationship between John Smith and Michelle.
10. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the symbolic value of the broken brakes on the narrator's car, as referred to in Story 2: "Two Men" and Story 4: "Dundun." What actions, circumstances, and attitudes not only in those two stories but in the collection as a whole are represented?
Essay Topic 2
Show how the author's manipulation of time contributes to the effectiveness of Jesus' Son as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Clearly explain the male relationships found between the narrator and another male character from Jesus' Son. What is the effect of this male relationship on the narrator? What is the significance of this male relationship to the book as a whole?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)