|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's girlfriend in Story 7?
2. Who is Angelique?
3. Who says in Story 8, "In Warsaw, my city, we drive in the park after twelve in the night, but the rules are saying no, you must not go to the park after this time, 12pm middle-night"?
4. How long has the narrator been working at the hospital in Story 6?
5. Who extracts the knife from Terrence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of the two men at the hospital the narrator sees in Story 8.
2. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
3. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
4. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
5. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
6. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
7. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
8. Who does the term "other man" refer to in Story 8.
9. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
10. Who is the only female in Story 7 that is given a name? Why is she the only one the narrator names?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the narrator can be defined as a tragic figure. Explain how the suffering brought upon others by the narrator contributes to the tragic vision of the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explains the symbolic value of the broken brakes on the narrator's car, as referred to in Story 2: "Two Men" and Story 4: "Dundun." What actions, circumstances, and attitudes not only in those two stories but in the collection as a whole are represented?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ending of Jesus' Son. Explain precisely how and why the ending appropriately or inappropriately concludes the book.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)