|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of party is Jack Hotel throwing for himself at the bar in Story 3?
2. The narrator reveals in Story 2 that one of his friends got hurt while they were burglarizing a ________.
3. Where is the narrator at the end of Story 1?
4. What is the name of the bar the narrator is at in Story 3?
5. In Story 5, whose ex-girlfriend did the narrator end up marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is McInnes? What has happened to him in Story 4?
2. Discuss the mini-theme of the randomness of existence as seen in Story 1.
3. Define and discuss imagery which is found in Story 2.
4. Where does the narrator of Story 3 receive money from?
5. Who encourages the narrator of Story 5 to work with him? What type of work do they perform? Explain.
6. What can the passive reaction of the trucker in Story 1 be seen as a metaphoric representation of?
7. Who is Wayne? Describe his relationship with the narrator in Story 5.
8. What does the term "sacrifice" refer to when Wayne says, "It is my sacrifice" after the narrator offers to buy a round of beers at The Vine.
9. How does the narrator and Dundun deal with the death of McInnes?
10. Discuss the drug abuse seen in Story 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the theme of tension between desperation and compassion contributes to the meaning of Jesus' Son as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the connection between Story 3: "Out on Bail" and Story 6: "Emergency."
Essay Topic 3
Clearly explain the male relationships found between the narrator and another male character from Jesus' Son. What is the effect of this male relationship on the narrator? What is the significance of this male relationship to the book as a whole?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)