|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What specific item is the narrator and Wayne after on the job?
2. What type of party is Jack Hotel throwing for himself at the bar in Story 3?
3. In Story 2, where does the narrator meet the "first man"?
4. According to the narrator in Story 2, how long has he been friends with his two friends?
5. Who asks the question in Story 1, "Are you hearing unusual sounds or voices?"
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Story 5, the narrator makes reference to his mother. Explain this reference and to whom is he referring to.
2. Define the literary element of foreshadowing. How is this literary element used in Story 1?
3. Describe the three people the narrator first introduces to the reader at the beginning of Story 1. How does the narrator interact with these three people?
4. Discuss the narrator's relationship with the three women in Story 5.
5. Who is Richard and Tom? Discuss the friendship the narrator has with these two men.
6. How does the narrator and Dundun deal with the death of McInnes?
7. Describe Dundun's violence against Jack Hotel as described by the narrator in Story 4.
8. Show how and when the narrator's violent side is exposed in Story 2.
9. Discuss comical irony which is found in Story 2.
10. Discuss the mini-theme of the randomness of existence as seen in Story 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you explore the issue of addiction and its influence as seen throughout the book Jesus' Son.
Essay Topic 2
Present arguments for and against Jesus' Son's relevance for a person around the same age as the narrator living in 1973.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze, discuss, and explain the significance the following quote found in Story 1: "I knew every raindrop by its name. I sensed everything before it happened. I knew a certain Oldsmobile would stop for me even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside it I knew we'd have an accident in the storm. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way."
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)