|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to own the house that the narrator and Wayne are at?
2. How does the narrator's "new companion" communicate in Story 2?
3. Where is the narrator at the end of Story 1?
4. Who asks the question in Story 1, "Are you hearing unusual sounds or voices?"
5. What type of weapon is the narrator carrying on him in Story 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the literary term of tone. What is the tone of Story 1?
2. How does the narrator and Dundun deal with the death of McInnes?
3. Define and discuss imagery which is found in Story 2.
4. Analyze the family who picks up the hitchhiking narrator in Story 1. What are some characteristics of this family?
5. Discuss the mini-theme of the randomness of existence as seen in Story 1.
6. Describe Dundun's violence against Jack Hotel as described by the narrator in Story 4.
7. Who is Richard and Tom? Discuss the friendship the narrator has with these two men.
8. Where does the narrator of Story 3 receive money from?
9. Describe The Vine as seen in Story 3.
10. What can the passive reaction of the trucker in Story 1 be seen as a metaphoric representation of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the symbolic value of the broken brakes on the narrator's car, as referred to in Story 2: "Two Men" and Story 4: "Dundun." What actions, circumstances, and attitudes not only in those two stories but in the collection as a whole are represented?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the narrator can be defined as a tragic figure. Explain how the suffering brought upon others by the narrator contributes to the tragic vision of the book as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Show how the author's manipulation of time contributes to the effectiveness of Jesus' Son as a whole.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)