|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in Story 1, all of the following people had given the narrator drugs except for who?
2. In Story 5, what offer does Wayne make to the narrator?
3. In his flashback, the narrator in Story 1 reveals that earlier in the day the ________ and him had swept down into ________.
4. What crime was Jack Hotel being tried for in Story 3?
5. The narrator reveals in Story 2 that one of his friends got hurt while they were burglarizing a ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The most telling image is the one quoted in Story 1 that of the narrator being showered with human blood. What does being "showered with human blood" represent?
2. Analyze the family who picks up the hitchhiking narrator in Story 1. What are some characteristics of this family?
3. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
4. Briefly describe the "second man" in Story 8.
5. In what way is the large horse pill the narrator receives in Story 9 a prize for the narrator?
6. Define the literary element of foreshadowing. How is this literary element used in Story 1?
7. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
8. Describe the character of Jack Hotel. Discuss the interaction he has with the narrator.
9. Who encourages the narrator of Story 5 to work with him? What type of work do they perform? Explain.
10. Discuss the narrator's relationship with the three women in Story 5.
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the theme of tension between desperation and compassion contributes to the meaning of Jesus' Son as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of the need for and the value of human contact. Which character from Jesus' Son does this theme encompass the most?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you explain the religious allusion that predominates in Jesus' Son, and analyze how it enhances the book's overall meaning.
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)