|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to own the house that the narrator and Wayne are at?
2. Before bringing the narrator home, who does the Salesman want to stop and see in Story 1?
3. Where is the narrator at the beginning of Story 1?
4. According to the narrator in Story 1, all of the following people had given the narrator drugs except for who?
5. In his flashback, the narrator in Story 1 reveals that earlier in the day the ________ and him had swept down into ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe The Vine as seen in Story 3.
2. Who is Thatcher? What type of relationship does Thatcher have with the narrator?
3. Discuss the narrator's relationship with the three women in Story 5.
4. Describe the three people the narrator first introduces to the reader at the beginning of Story 1. How does the narrator interact with these three people?
5. In Story 2, what three stops does the narrator's new companion have the narrator make? What occurs at each of the three stops?
6. What can the passive reaction of the trucker in Story 1 be seen as a metaphoric representation of?
7. Who encourages the narrator of Story 5 to work with him? What type of work do they perform? Explain.
8. Who is Wayne? Describe his relationship with the narrator in Story 5.
9. Discuss the mini-theme of the manifestation of nature a seen in Story 1.
10. Describe Dundun's violence against Jack Hotel as described by the narrator in Story 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the symbolic value of the broken brakes on the narrator's car, as referred to in Story 2: "Two Men" and Story 4: "Dundun." What actions, circumstances, and attitudes not only in those two stories but in the collection as a whole are represented?
Essay Topic 2
Select a moment or scene from Jesus' Son that you find especially memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the moment or scene, explain its relationship to the book, and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Show how a conventional or stereotyped character or characters found within Jesus' Son function to achieve the author's overall purpose of the book.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)