|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Story 2 referring to when he says, "I'd better just go after him, instead of waiting"?
2. What is the "new companion's" real name in Story 2?
3. What type of vehicle does the narrator of Story 2 drive?
4. Who asks the question in Story 1, "Are you hearing unusual sounds or voices?"
5. Who is the only customer at the Vine when the narrator arrives in the beginning of Story 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define and discuss imagery which is found in Story 2.
2. What can the passive reaction of the trucker in Story 1 be seen as a metaphoric representation of?
3. How does the narrator and Dundun deal with the death of McInnes?
4. Describe The Vine as seen in Story 3.
5. Where does the narrator of Story 3 receive money from?
6. Who is McInnes? What has happened to him in Story 4?
7. In Story 2, what three stops does the narrator's new companion have the narrator make? What occurs at each of the three stops?
8. Is Richard the one who the narrator briefly describes as being injured and arrested during a burglary attempt? Explain.
9. While working with Wayne at the abandoned house, what is the narrator and Wayne distracted by? Who is this person?
10. What does the term "sacrifice" refer to when Wayne says, "It is my sacrifice" after the narrator offers to buy a round of beers at The Vine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze, discuss, and explain the significance the following quote found in Story 1: "I knew every raindrop by its name. I sensed everything before it happened. I knew a certain Oldsmobile would stop for me even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside it I knew we'd have an accident in the storm. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ending of Jesus' Son. Explain precisely how and why the ending appropriately or inappropriately concludes the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you show how a character who appears briefly or not at all has a significant presence. Show how such character functions in the book. Discuss how the character affects action, theme, or the development of other characters.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)