|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "new companion's" real name in Story 2?
2. What is Wayne referring to in Story 5 when he says, "It is my sacrifice"?
3. What time does the car accident in Story 1 occur?
4. According to the narrator in Story 1, who was snoring loudly and rudely after the car accident?
5. In Story 2, who is the woman at the narrator's "new companion's" home referring to when she says, "If you don't take him off our street I'm calling the police"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the drug abuse seen in Story 3.
2. Who encourages the narrator of Story 5 to work with him? What type of work do they perform? Explain.
3. Describe the three people the narrator first introduces to the reader at the beginning of Story 1. How does the narrator interact with these three people?
4. Where does the narrator of Story 3 receive money from?
5. Show how and when the narrator's violent side is exposed in Story 2.
6. Who is Thatcher? What type of relationship does Thatcher have with the narrator?
7. Discuss the mini-theme of the randomness of existence as seen in Story 1.
8. Describe the character of Dundun.
9. Is Richard the one who the narrator briefly describes as being injured and arrested during a burglary attempt? Explain.
10. Define the literary term of tone. What is the tone of Story 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a moment or scene from Jesus' Son that you find especially memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the moment or scene, explain its relationship to the book, and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 2
Clearly explain the male relationships found between the narrator and another male character from Jesus' Son. What is the effect of this male relationship on the narrator? What is the significance of this male relationship to the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Show how a conventional or stereotyped character or characters found within Jesus' Son function to achieve the author's overall purpose of the book.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)