|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Happy Hour as it is referred to in Story 9?
(a) Buy 1, get 2 free alcoholic beverages.
(b) Buy 2, get 1 free desserts.
(c) Buy 1, get 1 free appetizers.
(d) Buy 1, get 3 free side dishes.
2. What two people is the narrator calling for in the streets in Story 8?
(a) Brent and Stacy.
(b) Lauren and Kevin.
(c) Maury and Carol.
(d) Adam and Shasha.
3. What type of accent does the "second man" have in Story 8?
(b) Eastern European.
(d) West Midlands.
4. In Story 8, the narrator tells the military woman from the tavern that he is locked out of his ________.
(a) Friend's house.
(d) Bank account.
5. The narrator indicates that the two men he sees at the hospital in Story 8 were brought together by common ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in Story 8, ________ is Seattle's much favored sad jukebox song.
2. What type of blemish does Bill have on his face?
3. How long has the narrator been working at the hospital in Story 6?
4. What part of the hospital is the narrator working at in Story 6?
5. Who is the orderly at the hospital is a friend of the narrator in Story 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the only female in Story 7 that is given a name? Why is she the only one the narrator names?
2. In what way is the large horse pill the narrator receives in Story 9 a prize for the narrator?
3. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
4. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
5. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
6. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
7. Discuss the relationship between John Smith and Michelle.
8. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
9. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
10. How does Bill define him? What is his perspective on the world? Explain.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)