|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the tavern across from the hospital that the narrator goes to in Story 8?
2. Who is the orderly at the hospital is a friend of the narrator in Story 6?
3. Around 3:30am, a guy with a _______ in his ________ comes into the hospital in Story 6.
(a) Knife / eye.
(b) Fork / leg.
(c) Saw / arm.
(d) Tree branch / abdomen.
4. Why does the narrator go to the Savoy Hotel in Story 7?
(a) To buy drugs.
(b) To book a room.
(c) To hide from Michelle.
(d) To look for Michelle.
5. The narrator defines Michelle in Story 7 as all of the following except for which?
(b) A traitor.
(d) A murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Story 7, what do the picketers outside the abortion clinic throw at the narrator when he leaves the building?
2. Where does the narrator say the "second man" from Story 8 is from?
3. According to the narrator in Story 10, the nurses at the hospital are pumping ________ by the quart.
4. According to the narrator of Story 9, Happy Hour is also referred to as ________.
5. When Bill looks back at his life, he says he sees _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
2. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
3. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
4. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
5. In what way is the title "Emergency" a direct metaphor of the narrator's life in Story 6?
6. How did Bill receive his bullet holes? How do these bullet holes haunt Bill?
7. Briefly discuss the three train rides the narrator recalls in Story 7.
8. Who is the only female in Story 7 that is given a name? Why is she the only one the narrator names?
9. Discuss the relationship between John Smith and Michelle.
10. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)