|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator defines Michelle in Story 7 as all of the following except for which?
(b) A murderer.
(d) A traitor.
2. According to the narrator in Story 8, ________ is Seattle's much favored sad jukebox song.
(a) Misty Blue.
(b) 16 Candles.
(c) Baby Come To Me.
(d) He Will Break Your Heart.
3. Who says in Story 8, "In Warsaw, my city, we drive in the park after twelve in the night, but the rules are saying no, you must not go to the park after this time, 12pm middle-night"?
(a) The second man.
(c) The narrator.
4. How does Michelle die in Story 7?
(a) She overdoses on pills.
(b) She is in a car accident.
(c) She is murdered.
(d) She hangs herself.
5. Where does Georgie tell the narrator he wants to go in Story 6?
(a) To the zoo.
(b) To the park.
(c) To the aquarium.
(d) To church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator of Story 10 referring to when he says to bill, "Pay me back when they give you yours"?
2. The narrator in Story 8 has all of the following family members except for which?
3. The narrator follows the man from the train into a ________ in Story 7.
4. According to the narrator in Story 7, Michelle leaves him permanently for a man named ________.
5. According to the narrator of Story 9, Happy Hour is also referred to as ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly discuss the three train rides the narrator recalls in Story 7.
2. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
3. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
4. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
5. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
6. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
7. How does Bill define him? What is his perspective on the world? Explain.
8. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
9. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
10. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)