|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of blemish does Bill have on his face?
(c) Bullet hole.
2. What is Happy Hour as it is referred to in Story 9?
(a) Buy 1, get 2 free alcoholic beverages.
(b) Buy 2, get 1 free desserts.
(c) Buy 1, get 3 free side dishes.
(d) Buy 1, get 1 free appetizers.
3. To what city do Michelle and John run off to?
(a) Kansas City.
4. What is Georgie referring to when he says, "We killed the mother and saved the children"?
(a) The rabbit.
(b) The dog.
(c) The duck.
(d) The squirrel.
5. According to the narrator of Story 9, Happy Hour is also referred to as ________.
(a) Rush Hour.
(b) Power Hour.
(c) Darkest Hour.
(d) After Hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does the narrator of Story 6 say is a very famous guru of the love generation?
2. Who is Angelique?
3. The narrator of Story 7 recalls that John Smith had once tried to sell him a ________ .
4. How much money does Nez Perce say the narrator owes him in Story 9?
5. According to the narrator in Story 10, the nurses at the hospital are pumping ________ by the quart.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
2. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
3. How did Bill receive his bullet holes? How do these bullet holes haunt Bill?
4. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
5. What does the final lines in Story 7 reveal about the narrator's view of Michelle's abortion?
6. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
7. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
8. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
9. In what way is the title "Emergency" a direct metaphor of the narrator's life in Story 6?
10. Discuss the significance of the two men at the hospital the narrator sees in Story 8.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)