|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the clerk in the Emergency Room in Story 6?
(a) Hugh Newton.
(b) Edward Sweetbay.
(c) Mickey O'Keefe.
(d) The narrator.
2. How much money does Nez Perce say the narrator owes him in Story 9?
3. While hiking through the woods in Story 6, the narrator and Georgie stumble upon what they think is a(n) ________, but it is actually a(n) ________.
(a) Horse ranch / bull ranch.
(b) Drive-in movie theater / pet cemetary.
(c) Indian graveyard / playground.
(d) Military graveyard / drive-in movie theater.
4. In Story 7, the narrator follows a man off the train and into a ________ neighborhood.
5. Who is Angelique?
(a) The 17 year old belly dancer.
(b) Wayne's wife.
(c) The bartender.
(d) The narrator's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Georgie referring to when he says, "We killed the mother and saved the children"?
2. In what branch of the military is the woman the narrator dances with at the tavern in Story 8?
3. What is the name of the narrator's girlfriend in Story 7?
4. What is the name of the wounded man in the Emergency Room in Story 6?
5. When did the military woman at tavern get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
2. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
3. Briefly describe the "second man" in Story 8.
4. Discuss the relevance of the baby rabbits to Story 6.
5. What happens when the narrator goes to visit a pair of friends in Story 8?
6. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
7. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
8. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
9. What is Hardee's emergency seen in Story 6?
10. Who is the only female in Story 7 that is given a name? Why is she the only one the narrator names?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)