|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator of Story 10 referring to when he says to bill, "Pay me back when they give you yours"?
2. In what branch of the military is the woman the narrator dances with at the tavern in Story 8?
(b) Air Force.
3. In the Story 7 narrator's flashback, how many shots did Michelle fire at him?
4. The narrator follows the man from the train into a ________ in Story 7.
(b) Grocery store.
(c) Hardware store.
5. What is the name of the narrator's roommate in Story 10 that he shaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Story 7, what do the picketers outside the abortion clinic throw at the narrator when he leaves the building?
2. Every time Bill thinks of his first bullet wound, what happens to him?
3. To what city do Michelle and John run off to?
4. How much money does Nez Perce say the narrator owes him in Story 9?
5. The narrator in Story 8 has all of the following family members except for which?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the title "Emergency" a direct metaphor of the narrator's life in Story 6?
2. Briefly discuss the three train rides the narrator recalls in Story 7.
3. How does Bill define him? What is his perspective on the world? Explain.
4. Explain how the relationship between the Story 8 narrator and military wife at the bar reinforces the theme of the tension between desperation and compassion.
5. Discuss the irony behind Bill seeing the victims of a car crash as "just meat."
6. How is Georgie portrayed by the narrator in Story 6. How do the narrator and Georgie know each other?
7. Discuss the relevance of the baby rabbits to Story 6.
8. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
9. What role does Terrence play in Story 6? How do the other characters in the story handle Terrence's situation?
10. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)