|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Story 8, ________ is Seattle's much favored sad jukebox song.
(a) Misty Blue.
(b) 16 Candles.
(c) Baby Come To Me.
(d) He Will Break Your Heart.
2. What type of accent does the "second man" have in Story 8?
(a) Eastern European.
(b) West Midlands.
3. Why does the narrator of Story 8 not take the military woman from the tavern to a motel?
(a) He can't afford it.
(b) He doesn't want to leave the tavern.
(c) His friend is waiting for him.
(d) He doesn't want to have relations with her.
4. Who extracts the knife from Terrence?
(b) The narrator.
(d) The clerk.
5. The narrator in Story 8 has all of the following family members except for which?
(a) A brother.
(b) A mother.
(c) A sister.
(d) A brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Around 3:30am, a guy with a _______ in his ________ comes into the hospital in Story 6.
2. To what city do Michelle and John run off to?
3. The narrator follows the man from the train into a ________ in Story 7.
4. In Story 8, what is the military woman at the tavern's marital status?
5. Who does the wounded man in the Emergency Room in Story 6 accuse of injuring him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the importance of Terrence's knife in Story 6.
2. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
3. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
4. What happens when the narrator goes to visit a pair of friends in Story 8?
5. Briefly discuss the three train rides the narrator recalls in Story 7.
6. How did Bill receive his bullet holes? How do these bullet holes haunt Bill?
7. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
8. Who is the only female in Story 7 that is given a name? Why is she the only one the narrator names?
9. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
10. In what way is the title "Emergency" a direct metaphor of the narrator's life in Story 6?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)