|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Story 8, the narrator tells the military woman from the tavern that he is locked out of his ________.
(a) Bank account.
(b) Friend's house.
2. Why does the narrator of Story 8 not take the military woman from the tavern to a motel?
(a) His friend is waiting for him.
(b) He doesn't want to have relations with her.
(c) He doesn't want to leave the tavern.
(d) He can't afford it.
3. The narrator defines Michelle in Story 7 as all of the following except for which?
(c) A traitor.
(d) A murderer.
4. Why does the narrator go to the Savoy Hotel in Story 7?
(a) To look for Michelle.
(b) To book a room.
(c) To hide from Michelle.
(d) To buy drugs.
5. How long has the narrator been working at the hospital in Story 6?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 16 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 1 year.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator follows the man from the train into a ________ in Story 7.
2. The narrator of Story 7 recalls that John Smith had once tried to sell him a ________ .
3. Who is the orderly at the hospital is a friend of the narrator in Story 6?
4. In what branch of the military is the woman the narrator dances with at the tavern in Story 8?
5. Who is the clerk in the Emergency Room in Story 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the relevance of the baby rabbits to Story 6.
2. What is the relevance of picketers standing outside the abortion clinic in Story 7?
3. What is the irony behind the title of the story "Happy Hour"?
4. How does Bill define him? What is his perspective on the world? Explain.
5. In what way is the large horse pill the narrator receives in Story 9 a prize for the narrator?
6. Who is the narrator searching for in Seattle in Story 9? What does he recall about this person?
7. How did Bill receive his bullet holes? How do these bullet holes haunt Bill?
8. Who is the only female in Story 7 that is given a name? Why is she the only one the narrator names?
9. What key point does the narrator make between the intimacy between men and women in Story 7?
10. In what way is the title "Emergency" a direct metaphor of the narrator's life in Story 6?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)