|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did the family promise to take the hitchhiking narrator?
(a) All the way.
(b) Half way.
(c) Just to Boulder.
(d) To the next exit.
2. What is the boat pulling behind it in Story 5?
(a) A naked woman.
(b) A dog on a raft.
(c) A buggie-boarder.
(d) A sign.
3. According to the narrator in Story 2, how does he feel about his child?
(a) He hates him.
(b) He wants to put him up for adoption.
(c) He enjoys him.
(d) He is afraid of him.
4. Who is the only customer at the Vine when the narrator arrives in the beginning of Story 5?
5. Why is the narrator visiting Dundun in Story 4?
(a) To buy marijuana.
(b) To appologize to him.
(c) To buy pharmaceutical opium.
(d) To spend time with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Story 3 opens with the narrator seeing ________ in an olive-green three-piece suit, with his blond hair combed back and his face shining and suffering.
2. Who drives a Volkswagen in Story 1?
3. In Story 1, who is Janice?
4. According to the narrator in Story 2, how long has he been friends with his two friends?
5. How does the narrator's "new companion" communicate in Story 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. While working with Wayne at the abandoned house, what is the narrator and Wayne distracted by? Who is this person?
2. Discuss the narrator's relationship with the three women in Story 5.
3. Discuss the mini-theme of the manifestation of nature a seen in Story 1.
4. What can the passive reaction of the trucker in Story 1 be seen as a metaphoric representation of?
5. Who is Wayne? Describe his relationship with the narrator in Story 5.
6. How does the narrator and Dundun deal with the death of McInnes?
7. Describe the three people the narrator first introduces to the reader at the beginning of Story 1. How does the narrator interact with these three people?
8. The most telling image is the one quoted in Story 1 that of the narrator being showered with human blood. What does being "showered with human blood" represent?
9. Who encourages the narrator of Story 5 to work with him? What type of work do they perform? Explain.
10. Who is McInnes? What has happened to him in Story 4?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)