|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states that ________ is like a railroad club car that had somehow run itself off the tracks into a swamp of time where it awaited the blows of the wrecking ball.
(a) The Vine.
(b) His life.
2. Where does Wayne take the narrator in Story 5?
(a) To the bowling alley.
(b) To a dark alley.
(c) To an abandoned office building.
(d) To an abandoned neighborhood.
3. What is the name of the narrator's two friends in Story 2?
(a) Sam and Carol.
(b) Tom and Richard.
(c) Donny and Matthew.
(d) Charles and Michael.
4. According to the narrator in Story 1, why was he admitted to Seattle General Hospital some years later?
(a) For mental evaluation.
(b) For a bacterial infection.
(c) For surgery.
(d) For detox.
5. According to the narrator in Story 2, who sold him a gun?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does the car accident in Story 1 occur?
2. What is the narrator holding when he stops a semi-truck after the accident in Story 1?
3. In Story 2, who is the woman at the narrator's "new companion's" home referring to when she says, "If you don't take him off our street I'm calling the police"?
4. Who does the narrator believe is coming to shoot his left leg off in Story 2?
5. According to the narrator in Story 2, how long has he been friends with his two friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss comical irony which is found in Story 2.
2. Analyze the family who picks up the hitchhiking narrator in Story 1. What are some characteristics of this family?
3. Discuss the mini-theme of the randomness of existence as seen in Story 1.
4. The most telling image is the one quoted in Story 1 that of the narrator being showered with human blood. What does being "showered with human blood" represent?
5. Define and discuss imagery which is found in Story 2.
6. Is Richard the one who the narrator briefly describes as being injured and arrested during a burglary attempt? Explain.
7. At the end of Story 5, the narrator makes reference to his mother. Explain this reference and to whom is he referring to.
8. Discuss the scene where the narrator and his friends meet their new companion in Story 2.
9. Describe the three people the narrator first introduces to the reader at the beginning of Story 1. How does the narrator interact with these three people?
10. Where does the narrator of Story 3 receive money from?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)