|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator reveals in Story 2 that one of his friends got hurt while they were burglarizing a ________.
(a) Gas station.
(b) Department store.
2. The narrator states in Story 1 that by the sweet voices of the family inside the car, he knew ________.
(a) That they were friendly.
(b) That they had young children.
(c) They would have an accident.
(d) They would take good care of the narrator.
3. Who overdoses on heroin at the end of Story 3?
(b) The Salesman.
(c) Jack Hotel.
(d) Kid Williams.
4. When asked by the semi-truck driver, "Is everybody dead?" How does the narrator respond?
(a) "How should I know."
(b) "No, not everbody."
(c) "I can't tell who is and who isn't."
(d) "Yes, everybody is dead."
5. What is the name of the narrator's two friends in Story 2?
(a) Tom and Richard.
(b) Sam and Carol.
(c) Donny and Matthew.
(d) Charles and Michael.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator call "Nurse" in Story 5?
2. The narrator states that ________ is like a railroad club car that had somehow run itself off the tracks into a swamp of time where it awaited the blows of the wrecking ball.
3. Why is McInnes not at the hospital in the beginning of Story 4?
4. Story 3 opens with the narrator seeing ________ in an olive-green three-piece suit, with his blond hair combed back and his face shining and suffering.
5. According to Richard in Story 2, the people at the farmhouse use to be ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Thatcher? What type of relationship does Thatcher have with the narrator?
2. Define and discuss imagery which is found in Story 2.
3. Define the literary element of foreshadowing. How is this literary element used in Story 1?
4. Show how and when the narrator's violent side is exposed in Story 2.
5. Discuss the narrator's relationship with the three women in Story 5.
6. Who is Richard and Tom? Discuss the friendship the narrator has with these two men.
7. Who is McInnes? What has happened to him in Story 4?
8. Who encourages the narrator of Story 5 to work with him? What type of work do they perform? Explain.
9. Describe the character of Dundun.
10. Describe the character of Jack Hotel. Discuss the interaction he has with the narrator.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)