|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bar the narrator is at in Story 3?
(a) The Vine.
(b) Big Daddy's.
(c) A J's Bar & Grill.
(d) Blind Pig Pub.
2. According to Dundun in Story 4, why does McInnes not feel good?
(a) Dundun shot him.
(b) McInnes overdosed on pain killers.
(c) Dundun beat him up.
(d) McInnes has the flu.
3. In Story 2, where does the narrator meet the "first man"?
(a) After a dance.
(b) After a parade.
(c) After a football game.
(d) After a baseball game.
4. According to the narrator, he and the Salesman developed a dangerous cynical camaraderie beginning in ________.
(d) New York.
5. Where does the police officer take the hitchhiking narrator following the car accident?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To a shelter.
(c) To jail.
(d) To the narrator's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator reveals in Story 2 that one of his friends got hurt while they were burglarizing a ________.
2. In Story 2, who is the woman at the narrator's "new companion's" home referring to when she says, "If you don't take him off our street I'm calling the police"?
3. Who does the narrator believe is coming to shoot his left leg off in Story 2?
4. What is the weather like throughout Story 1?
5. About how old does the narrator guess the sleeping baby in the backseat of the family's vehicle to be in Story 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Richard the one who the narrator briefly describes as being injured and arrested during a burglary attempt? Explain.
2. Analyze the family who picks up the hitchhiking narrator in Story 1. What are some characteristics of this family?
3. In Story 2, what three stops does the narrator's new companion have the narrator make? What occurs at each of the three stops?
4. Describe the three people the narrator first introduces to the reader at the beginning of Story 1. How does the narrator interact with these three people?
5. Who is McInnes? What has happened to him in Story 4?
6. Define the literary element of foreshadowing. How is this literary element used in Story 1?
7. Describe the character of Dundun.
8. Describe The Vine as seen in Story 3.
9. What can the passive reaction of the trucker in Story 1 be seen as a metaphoric representation of?
10. Define the literary term of tone. What is the tone of Story 1?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)