|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Story 3 opens with the narrator seeing ________ in an olive-green three-piece suit, with his blond hair combed back and his face shining and suffering.
(d) Jack Hotel.
2. Where is the family from that picks up the hitchhiking narrator in Story 1?
(a) Land O Lakes.
(d) San Diego.
3. What does the narrator's "new companion" in Story 2 want from the narrator?
(a) A ride home.
(d) A place to stay.
4. Why is McInnes not at the hospital in the beginning of Story 4?
(a) Nobody has a car to take McInnes.
(b) McInnes doesn't want to go.
(c) Jack Hotel crashed the car.
(d) Dundun refuses to let McInnes go.
5. What is the "new companion's" real name in Story 2?
6. How is the narrator receiving money in Story 3?
(a) By being a drug dealer.
(b) By stealing a dead man's social security checks.
(c) By working as a construction worker.
(d) By prostituting himself.
7. In Story 2, where does the narrator meet the "first man"?
(a) After a football game.
(b) After a parade.
(c) After a dance.
(d) After a baseball game.
8. According to the narrator in Story 2, how long has he been friends with his two friends?
(a) 19 years.
(b) Over a year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 3 years.
9. What is the weather like throughout Story 1?
10. What is Wayne referring to in Story 5 when he says, "It is my sacrifice"?
(a) Buying drinks.
(b) Marriage with his wife.
(c) His outlook on life.
(d) Working to make money.
11. In his flashback, the narrator in Story 1 reveals that earlier in the day the ________ and him had swept down into ________.
(a) Salesman / Kansas City.
(b) The Indian / Forks.
(c) The Student / Savannah.
(d) The Teacher / Chinatown.
12. What does Jack Hotel and the narrator buy with their money in Story 3?
(a) An apartment.
(b) A car.
(c) A cell phone.
13. What profession does Dundun say he would not mind working?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A hitman.
14. According to the narrator in Story 1, who was snoring loudly and rudely after the car accident?
(a) The passenger of the other car.
(b) The Salesman.
(c) The baby.
(d) He was.
15. Who drives a Volkswagen in Story 1?
(a) The Indian.
(b) The college student.
(c) The Mennonite.
(d) The Teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states that ________ is like a railroad club car that had somehow run itself off the tracks into a swamp of time where it awaited the blows of the wrecking ball.
2. The host of the party at the farmhouse tells the narrator that ________ does not want the "new companion" at the house.
3. Who does the narrator call "Nurse" in Story 5?
4. According to the narrator of Story 3, at ________ some of the most terrible things happen to him.
5. At the end of Story 1, what flutters close to the narrator's face?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)