|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertie recommend doing to the child on the bridge?
2. Who does Bertie run into at Buck's?
3. Who doesn't like Jeeves?
4. Why is Jeeves disappointed at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What has Aunt Agatha convinced Sir Roderick of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wins the Sermon Handicap?
2. How does Bertie steal the dog McIntosh back from the Blumenfelds?
3. Who is the favorite in the Vicars' Sermon Handicap?
4. When Jeeves is going on a vacation, he finds a temporary replacement. What does he tell the replacement about Bertie?
5. When Bertie runs into old Bittlesham on St. James Street, at the beginning of Chapter 10, why is the older man so shaken?
6. Why does Aunt Agatha call Jeeves Bertie's keeper?
7. Whom is Bingo Little in love with in Chapter 3?
8. What does the title of the chapter "The Purity of the Turf" refer to?
9. Who is Jeeves?
10. What is the malady from which the Duke of Ramfurline is suffering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the use of names in this collection of stories? Go through the names that Wodehouse chooses for his characters. What do they reveal about the characters? Why are they funny? How does the author use nicknames? How is class identity shown through the names characters are given?
Essay Topic 2
Wodehouse loves to use literary allusions. Find several in the book and analyze them. Discuss the choice to have Bertie, a relatively negligible person with very little literary knowledge, narrate the book.
Essay Topic 3
Stock characters are a strong part of this book. Describe at least five characters and assign a type to them. Discuss why these types are so effective in a story with Bertie as the protagonist.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)