* In this first short story, Bertram "Bertie" Wooster meets Jeeves and a new era begins.
* The story begins with Bertie discovering that his valet, Meadowes, is stealing his silk socks. He fires him, returns to London, and hires a new valet through an employment office.
* The new valet shows up, and a deeply hungover Bertie comes to the door to meet "a darkish sort of respectful Johnnie" who goes directly to the kitchen and prepares a raw egg with Worcestershire sauce and red pepper that he offers to Bertie.
* Bertie swallows it, and after a few moments of suspecting that he might spontaneously combust, he feels perfectly well. Immediately he hires the new man, who introduces himself as Jeeves.
* Bertie tells Jeeves that he is engaged to Florence, and from the tone of Jeeves' polite response, he recognizes that the valet does not approve of Florence. At...
This section contains 4,217 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)