Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bud call Jasmine?
2. Who said "There's no room in modern India for feudalism"?
3. Instead of going to "Tampah" and burning the suit under the tree on campus, where did Jasmine burn the suit?
4. What age was listed on Jasmine's fake passport?
5. The family maidservant is of what caste?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Professorji really do for a living?
2. What happened when Jasmine and Bud went to tell Darrel his loan was approved?
3. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
4. What surprise does the mailman deliver to Jasmine and who is it from?
5. What is Jasmine referring to when she says a "hell turned into paradise?"
6. How did Jasmine become a widow?
7. Jasmine calls Prakash a modern man. What are some examples of his modern outlook?
8. After leaving Darrel's home, why does Jasmine call Karin for help with Darrel?
9. What are the names on Jasmine's two bank accounts mentioned in Chapter 2 and where is each account located?
10. When does Jasmine realize that her son's sexual curiosity may have been awakened?
Essay Topic 1
Two suicides occur in this book (not referring to any bombings). For each character that committed suicide in America, give the name and explain why each committed suicide, including the events that occurred immediately preceding each death.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine's brothers were instrumental in helping her meet her future husband. Describe how this happened, as well as what role they played in her life after she became a widow, when she was trying to get to America.
Essay Topic 3
Jasmine, Vilma and Mataji were all widowed. Compare and contrast the choices each made in her widowhood. How did their choices align or contradict their culture's views on widows.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)