|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her outburst Jasmine's sisters leave and where does Jasmine go?
2. How was Masterji killed?
3. Who were witnesses to Masterji's murder?
4. What filled the brass-pitchers carried to the latrine?
5. How old was Jasmine when she married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Jasmine about Duff when they first meet?
2. What happens to Lillian after Jasmine goes to New York?
3. Why is Jasmine scared in the park with Duff and Taylor?
4. What did Jasmine's mother mean when she warned Jasmine that a husband has layers like an onion?
5. Why did Sukkhi want to kill Jasmine?
6. Why does Karin ask for Jasmine's help?
7. What happened to Jasmine and the Ugandan man?
8. Starting with the plane trip, how would you describe Jasmine's travel to arrive in America?
9. When does Jasmine realize that her son's sexual curiosity may have been awakened?
10. What is Jasmine referring to when she says a "hell turned into paradise?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The hot dog vendor in the park frightens Jasmine into leaving Manhattan. Explain how Jasmine first encountered this man, and also what happened the last time she saw this man in India. Why is she frightened of him?
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine has several identities. Beginning with Jyoti, briefly describe each identity, giving her name with each one. Explain why or how Jasmine came to have each identity.
Essay Topic 3
Jasmine's brothers were instrumental in helping her meet her future husband. Describe how this happened, as well as what role they played in her life after she became a widow, when she was trying to get to America.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)