|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were witnesses to Masterji's murder?
2. What was first thing Jasmine saw when she came into American shores?
3. Who was Prakash's benefactor?
4. How many brothers does Jasmine have?
5. Who hails Jasmine's brother as they leave the tea shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Darrel Lutz planting his thousand acre family farm alone for the first time?
2. Why does Taylor want Jasmine to stay with him and Duff?
3. What do Darrel and Jasmine discuss on the phone when he says nothing is wrong?
4. After Masterji leaves from speaking with Pitaji about Jasmine's education, what happens to Jasmine's mother, and what is decided about Jasmine's education versus marrying the widower?
5. How did "day mummy" come about?
6. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
7. What happens after Du finds his sister?
8. What is Jasmine referring to when she says a "hell turned into paradise?"
9. Jasmine sees Du's inventiveness as a gift. How does Bud view Du's talent?
10. After leaving Darrel's home, why does Jasmine call Karin for help with Darrel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine lived in an apartment building with Professorji and his family near other Indian families for five months in Flushing, New York. For Jasmine, how was this like living back in India as a widow? How was it different?
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine's brothers were instrumental in helping her meet her future husband. Describe how this happened, as well as what role they played in her life after she became a widow, when she was trying to get to America.
Essay Topic 3
Jasmine watches her son. In his actions and in some of the things he says, Jasmine thinks of Du as the kind of son she would have had with her husband. Why do Jasmine's thoughts go this way and what are some things that Du says and does to support her thoughts?
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)