|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do best friends, Du and Scott, watch on TV with the rest of the Ripplemeyer family on Sunday?
2. Once he was accepted to the university, Prakash took Jasmine to buy what?
3. Who has a nephew in California?
4. What was first thing Jasmine saw when she came into American shores?
5. Where did Jasmine's family live before the Partition Riots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jasmine sees Du's inventiveness as a gift. How does Bud view Du's talent?
2. Why does Kate's home remind Jasmine of Lillian's tastes?
3. What surprise does the mailman deliver to Jasmine and who is it from?
4. How does Jasmine compare her identities to Dr. Mary Webb's reincarnations?
5. What is the "Ladies Hour?"
6. In the last chapter of the book, who arrives in strange car while Jasmine is looking out the window of the home she shares with Bud?
7. What are the names on Jasmine's two bank accounts mentioned in Chapter 2 and where is each account located?
8. Why does Jasmine call Karin after Taylor and Duff arrive?
9. Why does Karin ask for Jasmine's help?
10. What happened to Jasmine and the Ugandan man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two suicides occur in this book (not referring to any bombings). For each character that committed suicide in America, give the name and explain why each committed suicide, including the events that occurred immediately preceding each death.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine, Vilma and Mataji were all widowed. Compare and contrast the choices each made in her widowhood. How did their choices align or contradict their culture's views on widows.
Essay Topic 3
Jasmine, Du and Mother Ripplemeyer all hoard things. What does each hoard and why?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)