|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ship captain's name?
2. Who is Dida?
3. Who is Jasmine disagreeing with in the beginning of the story?
4. Whom did Jasmine stay with at the hotel?
5. Of all the men that visit their courtyard whom does Jasmine fall in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the night Jasmine fell in love "before" first sight, two men were guests in the family courtyard. Who are they and why did they disagree?
2. How did Jasmine become a widow?
3. Why did Sukkhi want to kill Jasmine?
4. What do Darrel and Jasmine discuss on the phone when he says nothing is wrong?
5. When does Jasmine realize that her son's sexual curiosity may have been awakened?
6. What does Jasmine reveal as her plan once she leaves the hotel in America?
7. Who is Harlan Kroener?
8. Why does Jasmine call Karin after Taylor and Duff arrive?
9. Who is Stuart?
10. How does Du feel about Jasmine's surprise from the mailman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine says that she became an American while living with the Hayes family. Explain and give examples of this transformation.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine tells Wylie that her mother loved her enough to kill her or to be killed for her. Explain each event that Jasmine recalls to support this statement, and provide Wylie's reaction to each instance.
Essay Topic 3
Jasmine, Vilma and Mataji were all widowed. Compare and contrast the choices each made in her widowhood. How did their choices align or contradict their culture's views on widows.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)