|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bud call Jasmine?
2. What smell haunts Jasmine every time she takes a sip of water?
3. When Half-Face told the illegals he was smuggling and to hit the water if they hear three blasts of the whistle, what did Jasmine recall?
4. Which one is the correct order of transportation for Jasmine's journey to America from India?
5. What attacked the women at the latrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Du feel about Jasmine's surprise from the mailman?
2. What does Jasmine reveal to Wylie that causes Wylie to shriek in outrage?
3. Why did Sukkhi want to kill Jasmine?
4. After Pitaji died, and Jasmine's brothers came home to take care of the family. How was the outside world brought in to Jasmine at their family home?
5. How are Jasmine's "differences" treated by the Baden farmers versus the people she encountered while living in New York?
6. Why does Du give his mom a loaded rifle?
7. Why does Karin call Jasmine a tornado?
8. Why does Du say the weird man probably thinks there are weird people in their house?
9. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
10. What does Jasmine reveal as her plan once she leaves the hotel in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prakash insists that Jasmine let go of her feudal traditional thinking and embrace being modern. Give specific examples of how and why he prods her in this direction even when she does not want it.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine lived in an apartment building with Professorji and his family near other Indian families for five months in Flushing, New York. For Jasmine, how was this like living back in India as a widow? How was it different?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Jasmine does not marry Bud. Discuss when and how she realizes why she won't marry him.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)