|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age was listed on Jasmine's fake passport?
2. What do best friends, Du and Scott, watch on TV with the rest of the Ripplemeyer family on Sunday?
3. What were the courtyard toilets filled with?
4. What was the name of the hotel Jasmine stayed in upon arrival in America?
5. What is Hari-prar's present from a customer whose car he fixed?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Masterji leaves from speaking with Pitaji about Jasmine's education, what happens to Jasmine's mother, and what is decided about Jasmine's education versus marrying the widower?
2. What does Jasmine reveal to Wylie that causes Wylie to shriek in outrage?
3. How does Du feel about Jasmine's surprise from the mailman?
4. What do Darrel and Jasmine discuss on the phone when he says nothing is wrong?
5. What surprises Jasmine about Duff when they first meet?
6. In the story why does Jasmine hoard water and who are the other two people that hoard and why?
7. Why does Masterji come to visit Pitaji?
8. After Pitaji died, and Jasmine's brothers came home to take care of the family. How was the outside world brought in to Jasmine at their family home?
9. How are Jasmine's "differences" treated by the Baden farmers versus the people she encountered while living in New York?
10. What are the names on Jasmine's two bank accounts mentioned in Chapter 2 and where is each account located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine talks about a broken pitcher in regards to Vilma, Pitaji and herself. Explain what the broken pitcher represents and discuss why Jasmine references it in regard to each of them.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine, Vilma and Mataji were all widowed. Compare and contrast the choices each made in her widowhood. How did their choices align or contradict their culture's views on widows.
Essay Topic 3
Karin is Bud's ex-wife. Bud left Karin to be with his live-in girlfriend, Jasmine. Jasmine has to initiate contact with Karin twice, once for Darrel and once for Bud. Describe the circumstances that precipitated each contact, and Karin's response/reaction each time.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)