|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khalsa mean?
2. Who died from being gored by a bull?
3. Who is Jasmine disagreeing with in the beginning of the story?
4. How large is the family farm inherited by Darrel?
5. What color is the sari Jasmine chose to wear for the movies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jasmine call Karin after Taylor and Duff arrive?
2. How did "day mummy" come about?
3. What did Jasmine see and encounter on her long walk from the hotel before she met Lillian Gordon?
4. In the last chapter of the book, who arrives in strange car while Jasmine is looking out the window of the home she shares with Bud?
5. How did Jasmine become a widow?
6. What happened to Jasmine and the Ugandan man?
7. What happens after Du finds his sister?
8. Starting with the plane trip, how would you describe Jasmine's travel to arrive in America?
9. Why does Masterji come to visit Pitaji?
10. What is the "Ladies Hour?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine talks about a broken pitcher in regards to Vilma, Pitaji and herself. Explain what the broken pitcher represents and discuss why Jasmine references it in regard to each of them.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine says that she became an American while living with the Hayes family. Explain and give examples of this transformation.
Essay Topic 3
Thoughts triggered by an encounter with a patient, while waiting at the hospital for her doctor, cause Jasmine to compare the woman's treatment of her with that of the Baden farmers and those professors and nannies she interacted with in New York. Briefly describe how the woman treated her when Jasmine brought a cup of water to her. Then explain what Jasmine recalled about how the farmers and the New Yorkers treated her differently. Which treatment did Jasmine seem to prefer?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)