|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the hotel Jasmine stayed in upon arrival in America?
2. What is a nullah?
3. What type of shop did Arvind-prar and Hari-prar open?
4. Who wounded the mad dog?
5. Jasmine's injury is tended to by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pitaji died, and Jasmine's brothers came home to take care of the family. How was the outside world brought in to Jasmine at their family home?
2. Why does Du say the weird man probably thinks there are weird people in their house?
3. Jasmine sees Du's inventiveness as a gift. How does Bud view Du's talent?
4. Starting with the plane trip, how would you describe Jasmine's travel to arrive in America?
5. What did the letters Masterji read to his students reveal about American farmers?
6. What surprise does the mailman deliver to Jasmine and who is it from?
7. What does Jasmine reveal to Wylie that causes Wylie to shriek in outrage?
8. How does Jasmine describe Lillian's views on helping people through tough times?
9. Why does Karin ask for Jasmine's help?
10. What is Jasmine referring to when she says a "hell turned into paradise?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine tells Wylie that her mother loved her enough to kill her or to be killed for her. Explain each event that Jasmine recalls to support this statement, and provide Wylie's reaction to each instance.
Essay Topic 2
Two suicides occur in this book (not referring to any bombings). For each character that committed suicide in America, give the name and explain why each committed suicide, including the events that occurred immediately preceding each death.
Essay Topic 3
Several animals are significant in Jasmine's life. For each animal (a dead water-logged dog, a mad dog at a latrine, a bull on a country lane, a gecko, and hogs) briefly describe why they are significant.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)