|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the courtyard toilets filled with?
2. During her fall Jasmine's forehead is cut by what?
3. Who would not help the women under attack?
4. Who murdered someone in the hotel?
5. What attacked the women at the latrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jasmine sees Du's inventiveness as a gift. How does Bud view Du's talent?
2. What is the great battle between Dida and Mataji?
3. What does Professorji really do for a living?
4. In the last chapter of the book, who arrives in strange car while Jasmine is looking out the window of the home she shares with Bud?
5. After leaving Darrel's home, why does Jasmine call Karin for help with Darrel?
6. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
7. How did Jasmine work and secretly save money in Hasnapur?
8. What happened when Jasmine and Bud went to tell Darrel his loan was approved?
9. How did Jasmine become a widow?
10. What do Darrel and Jasmine discuss on the phone when he says nothing is wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karin is Bud's ex-wife. Bud left Karin to be with his live-in girlfriend, Jasmine. Jasmine has to initiate contact with Karin twice, once for Darrel and once for Bud. Describe the circumstances that precipitated each contact, and Karin's response/reaction each time.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine's brothers were instrumental in helping her meet her future husband. Describe how this happened, as well as what role they played in her life after she became a widow, when she was trying to get to America.
Essay Topic 3
Thoughts triggered by an encounter with a patient, while waiting at the hospital for her doctor, cause Jasmine to compare the woman's treatment of her with that of the Baden farmers and those professors and nannies she interacted with in New York. Briefly describe how the woman treated her when Jasmine brought a cup of water to her. Then explain what Jasmine recalled about how the farmers and the New Yorkers treated her differently. Which treatment did Jasmine seem to prefer?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)