|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wounded the mad dog?
2. Jasmine's family home is the only house on the lane with what?
3. Who were witnesses to Masterji's murder?
4. Who is Jasmine disagreeing with in the beginning of the story?
5. What is Bud's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jasmine work and secretly save money in Hasnapur?
2. Who is Harlan Kroener?
3. How did "day mummy" come about?
4. How does Jasmine describe Lillian's views on helping people through tough times?
5. What happened when Jasmine and Bud went to tell Darrel his loan was approved?
6. What surprise does the mailman deliver to Jasmine and who is it from?
7. What does Jasmine reveal to Wylie that causes Wylie to shriek in outrage?
8. Why is Jasmine scared in the park with Duff and Taylor?
9. What thoughts are running through Jasmine's head as she encounters a drunk Darrel, and as she drives him back to his farm?
10. What is the "Ladies Hour?"
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine talks about a broken pitcher in regards to Vilma, Pitaji and herself. Explain what the broken pitcher represents and discuss why Jasmine references it in regard to each of them.
Essay Topic 2
Prakash insists that Jasmine let go of her feudal traditional thinking and embrace being modern. Give specific examples of how and why he prods her in this direction even when she does not want it.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book Taylor and Duff arrive at the Iowa farm. Talking to Karin on the phone Jasmine thinks "Karin stayed. Du and I are different." Discuss this. Why does Jasmine have these thoughts? What does Jasmine mean by "Karin stayed?" How are Du and Jasmine "different"? (Hint: Don't get caught up in explaining cultural or ethnic differences here.)
This section contains 1,539 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)