|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khalsa mean?
2. Who came down from an ashram after Jasmine was widowed?
3. Who died from being gored by a bull?
4. Who is Mataji?
5. Of all the men that visit their courtyard whom does Jasmine fall in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jasmine describe Lillian's views on helping people through tough times?
2. What surprises Jasmine about Duff when they first meet?
3. How did "day mummy" come about?
4. What did the letters Masterji read to his students reveal about American farmers?
5. How did Jasmine work and secretly save money in Hasnapur?
6. What happened to Jasmine and the Ugandan man?
7. What is Jasmine referring to when she says a "hell turned into paradise?"
8. Although Jasmine and her husband did not have a child, how did Jasmine feel they had created life?
9. Why does Du say the weird man probably thinks there are weird people in their house?
10. Why does Kate's home remind Jasmine of Lillian's tastes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prakash insists that Jasmine let go of her feudal traditional thinking and embrace being modern. Give specific examples of how and why he prods her in this direction even when she does not want it.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book Taylor and Duff arrive at the Iowa farm. Talking to Karin on the phone Jasmine thinks "Karin stayed. Du and I are different." Discuss this. Why does Jasmine have these thoughts? What does Jasmine mean by "Karin stayed?" How are Du and Jasmine "different"? (Hint: Don't get caught up in explaining cultural or ethnic differences here.)
Essay Topic 3
Two suicides occur in this book (not referring to any bombings). For each character that committed suicide in America, give the name and explain why each committed suicide, including the events that occurred immediately preceding each death.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)