|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jasmine's family live before the Partition Riots?
2. What were the courtyard toilets filled with?
3. Bud and Darrel are at odds over what?
4. What is the ship captain's name?
5. Who has a nephew in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
2. What do Darrel and Jasmine discuss on the phone when he says nothing is wrong?
3. Jasmine talks about two chores, one she did at dawn and the other at dusk. What are they?
4. Why does Karin call Jasmine a tornado?
5. Why does Du say the weird man probably thinks there are weird people in their house?
6. Jasmine calls Prakash a modern man. What are some examples of his modern outlook?
7. How are Jasmine's "differences" treated by the Baden farmers versus the people she encountered while living in New York?
8. When Jasmine returns to the family home, what does she enlist her brothers to help her do?
9. What does Jasmine reveal as her plan once she leaves the hotel in America?
10. What is the "Ladies Hour?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dida and Mataji have opposing views about Jasmine's role as a female. Explain both sides. Why does Mataji fight so hard for her side? Why do you think Dida fights so hard for hers? Who unexpectedly comes to aid Mataji's point of view and why?
Essay Topic 2
Several animals are significant in Jasmine's life. For each animal (a dead water-logged dog, a mad dog at a latrine, a bull on a country lane, a gecko, and hogs) briefly describe why they are significant.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book Taylor and Duff arrive at the Iowa farm. Talking to Karin on the phone Jasmine thinks "Karin stayed. Du and I are different." Discuss this. Why does Jasmine have these thoughts? What does Jasmine mean by "Karin stayed?" How are Du and Jasmine "different"? (Hint: Don't get caught up in explaining cultural or ethnic differences here.)
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)