|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jasmine and Bud's adopted son is from where?
2. Who were witnesses to Masterji's murder?
3. How large is the family farm inherited by Darrel?
4. Who has a nephew in California?
5. Who had Jasmine helped with door-to-door sales?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pitaji died, and Jasmine's brothers came home to take care of the family. How was the outside world brought in to Jasmine at their family home?
2. After leaving Darrel's home, why does Jasmine call Karin for help with Darrel?
3. After Masterji leaves from speaking with Pitaji about Jasmine's education, what happens to Jasmine's mother, and what is decided about Jasmine's education versus marrying the widower?
4. How are Jasmine's "differences" treated by the Baden farmers versus the people she encountered while living in New York?
5. What did Jasmine's mother mean when she warned Jasmine that a husband has layers like an onion?
6. How does Du feel about Jasmine's surprise from the mailman?
7. On the night Jasmine fell in love "before" first sight, two men were guests in the family courtyard. Who are they and why did they disagree?
8. Why does Du say the weird man probably thinks there are weird people in their house?
9. Who are Taylor and Wylie?
10. Although Jasmine and her husband did not have a child, how did Jasmine feel they had created life?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book Taylor and Duff arrive at the Iowa farm. Talking to Karin on the phone Jasmine thinks "Karin stayed. Du and I are different." Discuss this. Why does Jasmine have these thoughts? What does Jasmine mean by "Karin stayed?" How are Du and Jasmine "different"? (Hint: Don't get caught up in explaining cultural or ethnic differences here.)
Essay Topic 2
Several men were in Jasmine's life. Choose three of her identities and, name each male significant to that identity and briefly describe his significance in her life at that time.
Essay Topic 3
Several animals are significant in Jasmine's life. For each animal (a dead water-logged dog, a mad dog at a latrine, a bull on a country lane, a gecko, and hogs) briefly describe why they are significant.
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)