|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mataji?
2. Who arranged for Jasmine's illegal documents?
3. Whom does Jasmine see from her kitchen window riding a tractor in neighboring farm fields?
4. The bomb that killed Prakash was inside of what?
5. What was the name of the Jamaican traveling on the boat with Jasmine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jasmine describe Lillian's views on helping people through tough times?
2. Why does Du give his mom a loaded rifle?
3. Why is Darrel Lutz planting his thousand acre family farm alone for the first time?
4. What did Jasmine's mother mean when she warned Jasmine that a husband has layers like an onion?
5. What surprises Jasmine about Duff when they first meet?
6. What happens after Du finds his sister?
7. Starting with the plane trip, how would you describe Jasmine's travel to arrive in America?
8. How does Jasmine compare her identities to Dr. Mary Webb's reincarnations?
9. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
10. Although Jasmine and her husband did not have a child, how did Jasmine feel they had created life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dida and Mataji have opposing views about Jasmine's role as a female. Explain both sides. Why does Mataji fight so hard for her side? Why do you think Dida fights so hard for hers? Who unexpectedly comes to aid Mataji's point of view and why?
Essay Topic 2
Two suicides occur in this book (not referring to any bombings). For each character that committed suicide in America, give the name and explain why each committed suicide, including the events that occurred immediately preceding each death.
Essay Topic 3
Jasmine lived in an apartment building with Professorji and his family near other Indian families for five months in Flushing, New York. For Jasmine, how was this like living back in India as a widow? How was it different?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)