|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jasmine in the beginning of the novel?
2. Who murdered someone in the hotel?
3. In the United States, where does Jasmine make her home with Bud?
4. What attacked the women at the latrine?
5. What is the ship captain's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story why does Jasmine hoard water and who are the other two people that hoard and why?
2. Why does Masterji come to visit Pitaji?
3. When Jasmine returns to the family home, what does she enlist her brothers to help her do?
4. Who are Taylor and Wylie?
5. Why does Karin ask for Jasmine's help?
6. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
7. How did "day mummy" come about?
8. What surprise does the mailman deliver to Jasmine and who is it from?
9. What did the letters Masterji read to his students reveal about American farmers?
10. What happens to Lillian after Jasmine goes to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine says that she became an American while living with the Hayes family. Explain and give examples of this transformation.
Essay Topic 2
Dida and Mataji have opposing views about Jasmine's role as a female. Explain both sides. Why does Mataji fight so hard for her side? Why do you think Dida fights so hard for hers? Who unexpectedly comes to aid Mataji's point of view and why?
Essay Topic 3
The hot dog vendor in the park frightens Jasmine into leaving Manhattan. Explain how Jasmine first encountered this man, and also what happened the last time she saw this man in India. Why is she frightened of him?
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)