|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Jasmine of Masterji's murder?
2. The family maidservant is of what caste?
3. How old is Jasmine in the beginning of the novel?
4. Who told Jasmine about a captain who takes contraband to the U.S.?
5. What does Khalsa mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Taylor and Wylie?
2. After leaving Darrel's home, why does Jasmine call Karin for help with Darrel?
3. What happens to Lillian after Jasmine goes to New York?
4. In Chapter 5, what experience does Jasmine recall, that clarifies what she does not want to become?
5. How did Jasmine become a widow?
6. Why is Jasmine scared in the park with Duff and Taylor?
7. After Masterji leaves from speaking with Pitaji about Jasmine's education, what happens to Jasmine's mother, and what is decided about Jasmine's education versus marrying the widower?
8. Why does Taylor want Jasmine to stay with him and Duff?
9. What does Jasmine reveal as her plan once she leaves the hotel in America?
10. How did Jasmine work and secretly save money in Hasnapur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On her mission to burn Prakash's suit in Tampah, at the University, Jasmine instead takes the suitcase and burns the suit in back at the hotel. Discuss what events led up to this action and describe what was going on in her head at this time.
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine says that she became an American while living with the Hayes family. Explain and give examples of this transformation.
Essay Topic 3
Dida and Mataji have opposing views about Jasmine's role as a female. Explain both sides. Why does Mataji fight so hard for her side? Why do you think Dida fights so hard for hers? Who unexpectedly comes to aid Mataji's point of view and why?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)