|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Masterji killed?
2. Who were witnesses to Masterji's murder?
3. Who tried to strangle Jasmine at birth?
4. How old is Jasmine in the beginning of the novel?
5. Who wounded the mad dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sukkhi want to kill Jasmine?
2. How did Pitaji's view on how he would die differ from the actual event?
3. What thoughts are running through Jasmine's head as she encounters a drunk Darrel, and as she drives him back to his farm?
4. After Pitaji died, and Jasmine's brothers came home to take care of the family. How was the outside world brought in to Jasmine at their family home?
5. What is the great battle between Dida and Mataji?
6. What does Lillian do to help Jasmine act like an American?
7. Why does Du give his mom a loaded rifle?
8. Who is Stuart?
9. What is the "Ladies Hour?"
10. Jasmine calls Prakash a modern man. What are some examples of his modern outlook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book Taylor and Duff arrive at the Iowa farm. Talking to Karin on the phone Jasmine thinks "Karin stayed. Du and I are different." Discuss this. Why does Jasmine have these thoughts? What does Jasmine mean by "Karin stayed?" How are Du and Jasmine "different"? (Hint: Don't get caught up in explaining cultural or ethnic differences here.)
Essay Topic 2
Thoughts triggered by an encounter with a patient, while waiting at the hospital for her doctor, cause Jasmine to compare the woman's treatment of her with that of the Baden farmers and those professors and nannies she interacted with in New York. Briefly describe how the woman treated her when Jasmine brought a cup of water to her. Then explain what Jasmine recalled about how the farmers and the New Yorkers treated her differently. Which treatment did Jasmine seem to prefer?
Essay Topic 3
The hot dog vendor in the park frightens Jasmine into leaving Manhattan. Explain how Jasmine first encountered this man, and also what happened the last time she saw this man in India. Why is she frightened of him?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)