|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the courtyard toilets filled with?
2. Who told Jasmine of Masterji's murder?
3. Jasmine's injury is tended to by whom?
4. Who were witnesses to Masterji's murder?
5. What filled the brass-pitchers carried to the latrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Starting with the plane trip, how would you describe Jasmine's travel to arrive in America?
2. What happens to Lillian after Jasmine goes to New York?
3. What happened to Jasmine and the Ugandan man?
4. How did "day mummy" come about?
5. Why does Taylor want Jasmine to stay with him and Duff?
6. Who are Taylor and Wylie?
7. Why does Du give his mom a loaded rifle?
8. Why is Jasmine scared in the park with Duff and Taylor?
9. In Chapter 5, what experience does Jasmine recall, that clarifies what she does not want to become?
10. What happened with "a dog, but not a dog"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jasmine watches her son. In his actions and in some of the things he says, Jasmine thinks of Du as the kind of son she would have had with her husband. Why do Jasmine's thoughts go this way and what are some things that Du says and does to support her thoughts?
Essay Topic 2
Jasmine's brothers were instrumental in helping her meet her future husband. Describe how this happened, as well as what role they played in her life after she became a widow, when she was trying to get to America.
Essay Topic 3
Several animals are significant in Jasmine's life. For each animal (a dead water-logged dog, a mad dog at a latrine, a bull on a country lane, a gecko, and hogs) briefly describe why they are significant.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)