|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
2. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
3. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
4. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
5. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
2. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
3. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
4. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
5. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
6. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
7. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
8. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
9. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
10. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)