|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
2. What does Mary think when Jem doesn't return with the cart?
3. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
4. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
5. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
2. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
3. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
4. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
5. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
6. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
7. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
8. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
9. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
10. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the imagery that Du Maurier uses in "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)