|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
2. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
3. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
4. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
5. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
2. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
3. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
4. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
5. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
6. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
7. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
8. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
9. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
10. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)