|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey give Mary in Chapter 10?
2. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
4. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
5. What does Jem assure Mary about Joss in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
2. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
3. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
4. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
5. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
6. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
7. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
8. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
9. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
10. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is suspicious of whom and why? Do these characters act on their suspicions? Are their suspicions based on truth? How do these examples of suspicion affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Mary throughout the novel. What struggles does Mary face? How does she overcome them?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)