|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
2. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
3. What happens sooner than expected for the men Mary is with in Chapter 11?
4. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
2. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
3. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
4. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
5. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
6. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
7. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
8. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
9. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
10. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Du Maurier's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Du Maurier use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Mary throughout the novel. What struggles does Mary face? How does she overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)