|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
2. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
3. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
4. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
5. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
2. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
3. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
4. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
5. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
6. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
7. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
8. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
9. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
10. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is suspicious of whom and why? Do these characters act on their suspicions? Are their suspicions based on truth? How do these examples of suspicion affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the end of the novel "Jamaica Inn" ? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)