|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the signal light Mary finds?
2. What is the carriage ride like for Mary after Mr. Davey leaves?
3. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
4. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
5. Why do Joss's men start to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
2. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
3. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
4. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
5. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
6. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
8. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
9. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
10. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)