|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
2. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
3. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
4. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
5. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
2. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
3. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
4. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
5. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
7. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
8. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
9. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
10. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)