|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
2. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
3. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
4. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
5. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
2. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
3. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
4. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
5. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
6. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
7. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
8. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
9. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
10. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)