|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
2. Who does Mary first think is responsible for Joss's murder?
3. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
4. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
5. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
2. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
3. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
4. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
5. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
6. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
7. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
8. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
9. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
10. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)