|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jem assure Mary about Joss in Chapter 9?
2. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
3. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
4. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
5. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Du Maurier's inclusion of violence in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of violence in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone of the scene? Are these examples necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)