|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
2. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
3. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
4. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
5. What does Mr. Davey say Mary will learn to do in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
2. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
3. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
4. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
5. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
6. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
8. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
9. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
10. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)