|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
2. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
3. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
4. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
5. What does Mr. Davey instruct Mary to do when he appears in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)