|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
2. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
3. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
4. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
5. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
2. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
3. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
4. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
5. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
6. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
7. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
8. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
9. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
10. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Du Maurier's inclusion of violence in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of violence in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone of the scene? Are these examples necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)