|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
2. What disappoints the squire in Chapter 15?
3. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
4. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
5. What does Jem ask Mary to do in Launceston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
2. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
3. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
4. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
5. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
6. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
7. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
8. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
10. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Jamaica Inn." How does Du Maurier illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Mary, react to the deaths? Why are these deaths occurring?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)