|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
2. What does Mrs. Bassat provide for Mary in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
4. Where does Mary think she can stay until she saves up some money?
5. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
2. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
3. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
4. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
5. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
6. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
7. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
8. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
9. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
10. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)