|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
2. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
3. Where does Joss take Mary in Chapter 11?
4. What does Mrs. Bassat provide for Mary in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
2. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
3. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
4. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
5. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
6. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
7. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
8. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
9. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
10. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)