|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
2. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
3. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
4. In Chapter 12, what does Joss say he shouldn't have done?
5. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
2. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
3. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
4. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
5. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
6. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
7. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
8. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
9. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
10. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the end of the novel "Jamaica Inn" ? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Du Maurier's inclusion of violence in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of violence in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone of the scene? Are these examples necessary?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)