|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
2. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
4. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
5. When Mary awakes in Chapter 12, how long has she been asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
2. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
3. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
4. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
5. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
6. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
7. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
8. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
9. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
10. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the end of the novel "Jamaica Inn" ? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)