|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Joss in when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
2. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
3. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
4. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
5. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Du Maurier's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Du Maurier use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)