|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
2. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
3. What disappoints the squire in Chapter 15?
4. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
5. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
2. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
3. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
4. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
5. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
6. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
7. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
8. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
9. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
10. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Du Maurier's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Du Maurier use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the imagery that Du Maurier uses in "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the end of the novel "Jamaica Inn" ? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)