|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
2. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
3. What alerts Mary to someone being outside in Chapter 13?
4. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
5. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
2. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
3. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
4. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
5. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
6. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
7. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
8. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
9. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
10. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Du Maurier's inclusion of violence in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of violence in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone of the scene? Are these examples necessary?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)