|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
2. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
4. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
5. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
2. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
3. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
4. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
5. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
6. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
7. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
8. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
9. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
10. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Jamaica Inn." How does Du Maurier illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Mary, react to the deaths? Why are these deaths occurring?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)