|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
2. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
3. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
4. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
5. What does Jem assure Mary about Joss in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
2. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
3. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
4. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
5. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
6. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
7. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
8. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
9. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
10. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Du Maurier's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Du Maurier use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Mary throughout the novel. What struggles does Mary face? How does she overcome them?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)