|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the signal light Mary finds?
2. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
3. What does Mr. Davey instruct Mary to do when he appears in Chapter 16?
4. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
5. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
2. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
3. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
4. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
5. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
6. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
7. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
8. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
9. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
10. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Jamaica Inn." How does Du Maurier illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Mary, react to the deaths? Why are these deaths occurring?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)