|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary first think is responsible for Joss's murder?
2. What does Jem try to convince the person who insists on buying the second pony?
3. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
4. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
5. Who arrives shortly after Mary finds Joss dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
2. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
3. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
4. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
5. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
6. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
7. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
8. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
9. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
10. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Mary throughout the novel. What struggles does Mary face? How does she overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)