|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
2. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
3. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
4. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
5. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
2. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
3. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
4. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
5. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
6. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
7. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
8. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
9. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
10. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Jamaica Inn." How does Du Maurier illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Mary, react to the deaths? Why are these deaths occurring?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Du Maurier's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Du Maurier use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)