|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
2. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
3. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
4. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
5. Who did Joss buy the inn from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
2. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
3. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
4. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
5. Where does Jem invite Mary in Chapter 8?
6. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
7. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
8. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
9. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
10. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is suspicious of whom and why? Do these characters act on their suspicions? Are their suspicions based on truth? How do these examples of suspicion affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)