|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
2. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
3. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
4. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
5. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
4. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
6. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
7. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
8. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
9. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
10. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Jamaica Inn." How does Du Maurier illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Mary, react to the deaths? Why are these deaths occurring?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)