|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
2. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
3. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
4. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
5. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
2. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
3. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
4. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
5. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
6. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
8. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
9. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
10. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Mary throughout the novel. What struggles does Mary face? How does she overcome them?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)