|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
2. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
3. Where is Jamaica Inn located?
4. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
5. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
2. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
3. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
4. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
5. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
6. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
7. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
8. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
9. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
10. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is suspicious of whom and why? Do these characters act on their suspicions? Are their suspicions based on truth? How do these examples of suspicion affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)