|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What night of the week does Joss have his friends to the inn?
2. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
3. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
4. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
5. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
2. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
4. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
5. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
6. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
7. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
8. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
9. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Du Maurier's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Du Maurier use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)