|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
2. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
3. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
4. What night of the week does Joss have his friends to the inn?
5. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
2. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
4. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
5. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
6. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
7. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
8. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
9. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
10. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the imagery that Du Maurier uses in "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)