|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
3. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
4. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
5. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
2. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
3. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
4. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
6. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
7. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
8. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
9. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
10. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)