|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
2. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
3. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
4. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
5. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
2. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
3. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
5. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
6. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
7. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
8. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
9. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
10. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Mary throughout the novel. What struggles does Mary face? How does she overcome them?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)