Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
2. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
3. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
4. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
5. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
2. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
3. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
4. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
5. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
6. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
7. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
8. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
9. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is suspicious of whom and why? Do these characters act on their suspicions? Are their suspicions based on truth? How do these examples of suspicion affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Du Maurier's inclusion of violence in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of violence in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone of the scene? Are these examples necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)