|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
2. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Mary overhear a man in the bar say to Joss, after the other men have left?
4. What is the name of Joss's brother?
5. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
2. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
4. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
6. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
7. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
8. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
9. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
10. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Mary throughout the novel. What struggles does Mary face? How does she overcome them?
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)