|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of house does Jem have?
2. What does Jem invite Mary to do for him in Chapter 8?
3. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
4. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
5. What century is the novel set in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
3. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
4. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
5. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
6. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
7. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
8. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
9. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
10. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)