|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
2. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
3. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
4. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
5. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
2. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
3. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
4. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
5. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
6. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
7. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
8. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
9. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)