|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
2. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
3. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
4. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
2. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
3. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
4. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
7. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
8. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
9. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
10. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)