|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
2. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
3. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 6, who comes to Jamaica Inn with Squire Basset?
5. What is Mary's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
2. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
3. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
4. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
5. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
6. Where does Jem invite Mary in Chapter 8?
7. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
8. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
10. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Du Maurier's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Du Maurier use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)