Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died when Mary was six years old?
2. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
3. What century is the novel set in?
4. What does Jem invite Mary to do for him in Chapter 8?
5. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
3. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
4. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
5. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
6. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
7. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
8. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
9. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
10. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
Analyze the imagery that Du Maurier uses in "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)