|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work did her family do?
2. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
3. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
4. Who raised Mary?
5. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
2. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
3. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
4. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
5. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
6. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
7. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
9. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)