|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
2. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
3. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
4. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
5. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
2. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
3. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
4. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
6. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
7. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
8. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
9. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
10. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is suspicious of whom and why? Do these characters act on their suspicions? Are their suspicions based on truth? How do these examples of suspicion affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)