|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
2. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
3. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
4. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
2. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
4. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
5. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
6. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
7. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
8. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
9. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
10. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)