|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
2. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
3. What does Jem invite Mary to do for him in Chapter 8?
4. Who died when Mary was six years old?
5. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
2. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
3. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
4. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
5. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
6. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
7. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
8. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
9. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
10. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Du Maurier's inclusion of violence in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of violence in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone of the scene? Are these examples necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)