|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
2. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
3. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
4. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
5. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
2. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
3. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
4. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
5. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
6. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
7. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
8. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
9. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
10. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Jamaica Inn." How does Du Maurier illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Mary, react to the deaths? Why are these deaths occurring?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)