|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
2. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
3. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
4. What is Mary's aunt's name?
5. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
2. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
3. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
4. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
6. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
7. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
8. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
9. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
10. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)