|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
2. Who did Joss buy the inn from?
3. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
4. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
5. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
2. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
3. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
4. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
5. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
6. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
7. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
8. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
9. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
10. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the end of the novel "Jamaica Inn" ? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)