|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
2. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
3. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
4. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
5. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
2. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
3. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
4. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
6. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
7. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
8. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
9. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
10. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of suspicion in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is suspicious of whom and why? Do these characters act on their suspicions? Are their suspicions based on truth? How do these examples of suspicion affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)