|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jamaica Inn located?
2. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
3. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
4. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
5. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
2. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
3. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
5. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
6. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
7. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
8. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
9. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)