Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
2. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
3. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
4. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
5. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
2. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
3. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
4. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
5. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
6. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
7. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
8. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
9. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they, and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)