|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
3. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
5. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
2. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
3. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
4. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
5. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
6. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
7. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
8. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
9. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
10. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assumptions in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who makes assumptions? What assumptions do they make and why? How do these assumptions affect the characters and their lives?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)