|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
2. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
3. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
4. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
5. What does Jem invite Mary to do for him in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
2. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
4. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
6. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
7. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
8. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
10. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)