|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
2. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
3. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
4. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
5. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
2. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
3. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
4. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
5. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
6. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
7. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
8. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
9. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
10. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who are Mary's family? Is family important to Mary? How does Mary's family affect her decisions and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "Jamaica Inn." Who is the antagonist of the novel? Why is he the antagonist? What does he do to the main characters? What does the antagonist look like?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)