|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joss buy the inn from?
2. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
3. Who died when Mary was six years old?
4. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
5. Who raised Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
2. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
3. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
5. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
6. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
7. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
8. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
9. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
10. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of irony in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)