|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
2. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
3. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
4. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
5. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
3. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
4. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
5. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
6. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
7. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
8. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
9. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
10. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the imagery that Du Maurier uses in "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in "Jamaica Inn." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)