|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
2. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
3. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
4. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
5. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
2. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
3. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
4. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
5. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
6. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
7. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
8. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
10. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Jamaica Inn,"Dahne du Maurier. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Du Maurier's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Gothic romance genre of the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Jamaica Inn" an example of this genre? What are some other novels of the same genre? What do these novels have in common with "Jamaica Inn?"
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)