|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
2. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
3. What country does Mary live in?
4. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
5. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
2. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
3. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
4. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
5. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
6. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
7. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
8. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
9. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
10. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Mary and Jem. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Jem?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What does Mary fear and why? Does she face her fears?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)