|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
2. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
3. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
4. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
5. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
2. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
3. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
4. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
5. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
6. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
7. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
8. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
9. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
10. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Du Maurier's use of symbolism in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the themes of mystery and Joss's criminal actions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Mary. What are Mary's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Mary throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of mystery in the novel "Jamaica Inn." What are some examples of mystery in the novel? Are all of the mysteries answered by the end of the novel? Who are some of the mysterious characters?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)