|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To keep away from horse thieves.
(b) To keep her mouth shut.
(c) To brush her teeth.
(d) To stick by her aunt's side.
2. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A birth.
(b) A fire.
(c) A murder.
(d) A shipwreck.
4. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
(a) Three times.
(b) Five times.
5. In Chapter 6, who comes to Jamaica Inn with Squire Basset?
(a) An officer of the law.
(b) His son.
(c) Mrs. Basset.
(d) A servant.
6. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
(a) His expectations of her.
(b) Where she is allowed to go.
(c) When he intends to kick her out.
(d) What she may and may not say to Patience.
7. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
(a) Throw eggs at Jamaica Inn.
(b) Have drinks at Jamaica Inn.
(c) Pray for Jamaica Inn.
(d) Have parties at Jamaica Inn.
8. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is feeling sick.
(b) He is hallucinating.
(c) He is giddy with excitement.
(d) He is drunk.
9. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
(a) Her charity work.
(d) Keeping up with her correspondence.
10. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
(a) One day.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five days.
11. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
12. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Keep Patience company.
(b) Dine at a friends'.
(c) Work in the bar.
(d) Stay in her bedroom.
13. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) What her hopes and dreams are.
(b) Everything she knows about Jamaica Inn and Joss.
(c) That she thinks the moors are haunted.
(d) That she hates living at Jamaica Inn.
14. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) Cold weather.
(b) A fever.
(d) Joss's orders.
15. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
(a) Because of his shyness.
(b) Because of his smile.
(c) Because of his profession.
(d) Because of his age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Mary live in?
2. What kind of work did her family do?
3. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
4. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
5. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)