|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
(a) Her aunt.
(c) The cat.
(d) One of Joss' friends.
2. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is hallucinating.
(c) He is feeling sick.
(d) He is giddy with excitement.
3. Who does Joss meet with after Harry leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) A man disguised as a vicar.
(b) A man who is drunk.
(c) A man who has been hiding in the empty rooms.
(d) A man with a very deep voice.
4. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
(a) Get stuck in moors.
(b) Fall into a ditch.
(c) Lose her shoes in mud.
(d) Trip on the loose rocks.
5. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
(c) A bloody knife.
(d) A few letters of correspondence.
6. What does Jem invite Mary to do for him in Chapter 8?
(a) Clean his kitchen.
(b) Organize his books.
(c) Make him lunch.
(d) Do his laundry.
7. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The nineteenth century.
(b) The eighteenth century.
(c) The twentieth century.
(d) The seventeenth century.
8. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
9. What night of the week does Joss have his friends to the inn?
10. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
(a) Like a lioness.
(b) Like a mouse.
(c) Like a puppy dog.
(d) Like a bear.
11. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) Joss's orders.
(c) A fever.
(d) Cold weather.
12. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) Poor farmers.
(b) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
(c) Outcasts of respectable society.
(d) The dregs of society.
13. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
(a) They are completely empty.
(b) They are full of cobwebs.
(c) They are used for storage.
(d) They are opulent in decoration.
14. What kind of work did her family do?
(a) Brick work.
(b) Pottery work.
(c) Textile work.
(d) Farm work.
15. What is the name of Joss's brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
2. Where is Jamaica Inn located?
3. What kind of house does Jem have?
4. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
5. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)