|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
(a) She wants him to walk into her trap.
(b) She trusts Squire Basset.
(c) Joss is not home.
(d) It is raining outside.
2. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To brush her teeth.
(b) To keep away from horse thieves.
(c) To stick by her aunt's side.
(d) To keep her mouth shut.
3. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
(a) In the early morning.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In the evening.
(d) Just before lunch.
4. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
5. What is Mary's last name?
6. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(b) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
(c) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(d) That her uncle is not a thief.
7. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
(a) How he takes his tea.
(b) How dirty his hands are.
(c) How he chews his food.
(d) How he treats Patience.
8. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
9. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) On foot.
(b) On horseback.
(c) In his dogcart.
(d) In a carriage.
10. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) Joss's orders.
(b) Cold weather.
(c) A fever.
11. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That he seems to distrust people.
(b) That she caught him glaring at her.
(c) His crippled hand.
(d) A duality in his personality.
12. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
(a) She stares out her window.
(b) She pretends to be sick.
(c) She speaks to her dead parents.
(d) She quickly dresses.
13. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) One week.
(c) Three days.
(d) Ten days.
14. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As strict.
(b) As vivacious.
(c) As jolly.
(d) As sullen.
15. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
(a) It is very late.
(b) She promised she would stay in her room.
(c) Joss's friends are loitering around.
(d) She can't be seen in Patience's dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
2. What is Mary's aunt's name?
3. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
4. What night of the week does Joss have his friends to the inn?
5. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)