|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) Everything she knows about Jamaica Inn and Joss.
(b) That she thinks the moors are haunted.
(c) What her hopes and dreams are.
(d) That she hates living at Jamaica Inn.
2. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A murder.
(b) A birth.
(c) A fire.
(d) A shipwreck.
3. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
(a) Local men who try to talk to her.
(b) Noises in the yard during the night.
(c) The mice and insects in the house.
(d) Questions she is asked about Joss.
4. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
5. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Keep Patience company.
(b) Work in the bar.
(c) Dine at a friends'.
(d) Stay in her bedroom.
6. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
7. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
(b) A bloody knife.
(d) A few letters of correspondence.
8. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
(a) It is very late.
(b) She can't be seen in Patience's dress.
(c) Joss's friends are loitering around.
(d) She promised she would stay in her room.
9. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A letter from a magistrate.
(b) A warrant to search the inn.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A pistol.
10. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
(a) Just before lunch.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) In the evening.
(d) In the afternoon.
11. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
(a) To be Joss's personal residence.
(b) To run Joss's business from.
(c) For the convenience of travelers.
(d) To hold village meetings.
12. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
(a) The smell of baking bread.
(b) Joss shouting.
(c) Dogs barking.
(d) Wagons in the yard.
13. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
(a) A trip to France.
(b) A trip to a village festival.
(c) A trip to Ireland.
(d) A trip to the shore with her parents.
14. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
(b) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(c) That her uncle is not a thief.
(d) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
15. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) Cold weather.
(c) Joss's orders.
(d) A fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary's last name?
2. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
3. Where is Jamaica Inn located?
4. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
5. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)