|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) His housefire.
(c) The village riot.
(d) His father's disappearance.
2. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) Joss's orders.
(c) A fever.
(d) Cold weather.
3. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
(a) Because of his shyness.
(b) Because of his profession.
(c) Because of his smile.
(d) Because of his age.
4. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A fire.
(b) A murder.
(c) A birth.
(d) A shipwreck.
5. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
(a) A cart.
(b) A lantern.
(c) A pony.
(d) Metal wire.
6. What is Mary's aunt's name?
7. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) In his dogcart.
(b) On foot.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In a carriage.
8. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not a thief.
(b) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(c) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(d) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
9. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) His crippled hand.
(b) A duality in his personality.
(c) That she caught him glaring at her.
(d) That he seems to distrust people.
10. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
(a) Visit the cemetery.
(b) Take some ponies to Launceston.
(c) Help out a church.
(d) Sit at home alone.
11. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
12. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
(b) The cat.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) One of Joss' friends.
13. What is the name of Joss's brother?
14. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
(a) Her hometown.
15. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
(a) What she may and may not say to Patience.
(b) When he intends to kick her out.
(c) Where she is allowed to go.
(d) His expectations of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
2. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Mary overhear a man in the bar say to Joss, after the other men have left?
5. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)