|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A child.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A man on horseback.
2. What is the name of Joss's brother?
3. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
(a) The smell of baking bread.
(b) Joss shouting.
(c) Dogs barking.
(d) Wagons in the yard.
4. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Three days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) One week.
5. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
(a) Mary recognizes the man as a criminal.
(b) Joss does not like strangers in his inn.
(c) To calm Patience.
(d) Mary doesn't trust anyone anymore.
6. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
7. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) To her hometown.
(c) Jamaica Inn.
(d) To the moors.
8. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
(a) Matthew Davey.
(b) George Davey.
(c) Francis Davey.
(d) Lucas Davey.
9. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
(c) Three times.
(d) Five times.
10. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A threatening letter.
(b) A noose.
(c) A bloodied knife.
(d) A piston.
11. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
(a) Bring them back to the inn.
(b) Pay for their burial.
(c) He would kill them.
(d) Take them to the vicar to bless them.
12. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She goes to the river.
(b) She sits on the porch.
(c) She reads in her room.
(d) She takes long walks on the moors.
13. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
(a) For the convenience of travelers.
(b) To hold village meetings.
(c) To run Joss's business from.
(d) To be Joss's personal residence.
14. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
(a) When Mary mentions her mother.
(b) When night falls.
(c) Once Mary is the only passenger.
(d) At the mention of Jamaica Inn.
15. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) Patience goes to hang laundry.
(b) Joss kicks Patience out of the house.
(c) Patience goes to bed.
(d) Patience falls ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
2. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
3. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
4. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
5. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)