|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
(c) An unknown figure.
2. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A man on horseback.
(d) A child.
3. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
(a) Joss's bedroom door.
(b) The pantry door.
(c) The cellar door.
(d) The outer door to the bar.
4. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
(a) Because of his age.
(b) Because of his shyness.
(c) Because of his smile.
(d) Because of his profession.
5. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) One week.
(b) Three days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) A fortnight.
6. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
(a) She promised she would stay in her room.
(b) It is very late.
(c) She can't be seen in Patience's dress.
(d) Joss's friends are loitering around.
7. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
(a) A pony.
(b) Metal wire.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A cart.
8. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
(a) Visits neighbors.
(b) Writes in her diary.
(c) Does household chores.
(d) Has tea.
10. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That he seems to distrust people.
(b) A duality in his personality.
(c) That she caught him glaring at her.
(d) His crippled hand.
11. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
12. What does Mary begin to wonder about Jem's visit in Chapter 6?
(a) Whether she acted foolishly.
(b) Whether he had been waiting for her.
(c) Whether or not it was a coincidence.
(d) Whether he had an alterior motive for coming.
13. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) A fever.
(b) Joss's orders.
(d) Cold weather.
14. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
(a) She feels sick.
(b) She trips and falls.
(c) She gets lost.
(d) She encounters a flock of sheep.
15. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) One day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the driver drop Mary off in Chapter 1?
2. What country does Mary live in?
3. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
4. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
5. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)