|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who died when Mary was six years old?
(a) Mary's sister.
(b) Mary's best friend.
(c) Mary's grandfather.
(d) Mary's father.
2. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) Patience goes to hang laundry.
(b) Patience falls ill.
(c) Patience goes to bed.
(d) Joss kicks Patience out of the house.
3. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
(a) He carves them grave stones.
(b) He prays.
(c) He drinks.
(d) He doesn't sleep.
4. What is Mary's last name?
5. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are charming.
(b) They are vulgar.
(c) They are suspicious.
(d) They are evil.
6. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
(a) Local men who try to talk to her.
(b) The mice and insects in the house.
(c) Questions she is asked about Joss.
(d) Noises in the yard during the night.
7. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He comes down with a fever.
(b) He bumps his head.
(c) He goes on a drinking binge.
(d) He has a hallucination.
8. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As jolly.
(b) As vivacious.
(c) As sullen.
(d) As strict.
9. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
(a) The Morlynn family.
(b) The Marlin family.
(c) The Merlyn family.
(d) The Mermann family.
10. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
11. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
(a) Like a lioness.
(b) Like a bear.
(c) Like a mouse.
(d) Like a puppy dog.
12. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
(a) Her aunt.
(c) One of Joss' friends.
(d) The cat.
13. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
(a) Horse thief.
(d) Confidence man.
14. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
(a) The driver's smell.
(b) The foreign landscape.
(c) The driver's incessant talking.
(d) The weather.
15. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
(a) Metal wire.
(b) A lantern.
(c) A pony.
(d) A cart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Mary live in?
2. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
3. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
4. What century is the novel set in?
5. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)