|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
(a) She feels sorry for him.
(b) Jem offers to reward her.
(c) Jem accuses her of being afraid.
(d) She thinks of what Christmas Eve with Joss would be like.
2. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
(a) Trewartha Marsh.
(b) Todpool Marsh.
(c) Trewoon Marsh.
(d) Tregurrian Marsh.
3. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
(a) An unknown figure.
4. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
(a) The driver's incessant talking.
(b) The weather.
(c) The foreign landscape.
(d) The driver's smell.
5. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The twentieth century.
(b) The seventeenth century.
(c) The nineteenth century.
(d) The eighteenth century.
6. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One day.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
7. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is giddy with excitement.
(b) He is feeling sick.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is hallucinating.
8. Who raised Mary?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
9. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
(a) The Marlin family.
(b) The Merlyn family.
(c) The Morlynn family.
(d) The Mermann family.
10. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Stay in her bedroom.
(b) Dine at a friends'.
(c) Work in the bar.
(d) Keep Patience company.
11. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
(b) Confidence man.
(c) Horse thief.
12. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
(a) Because of his age.
(b) Because of his shyness.
(c) Because of his profession.
(d) Because of his smile.
13. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A few letters of correspondence.
(c) A bloody knife.
(d) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
14. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
(a) Questions she is asked about Joss.
(b) Noises in the yard during the night.
(c) Local men who try to talk to her.
(d) The mice and insects in the house.
15. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A threatening letter.
(b) A piston.
(c) A noose.
(d) A bloodied knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
2. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
3. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
4. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
5. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)