|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That she caught him glaring at her.
(b) A duality in his personality.
(c) His crippled hand.
(d) That he seems to distrust people.
2. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
(a) Because of his smile.
(b) Because of his shyness.
(c) Because of his profession.
(d) Because of his age.
3. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
(a) She thinks of what Christmas Eve with Joss would be like.
(b) Jem accuses her of being afraid.
(c) She feels sorry for him.
(d) Jem offers to reward her.
4. What is Mary's last name?
5. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
(a) One day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Ten days.
6. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
(a) Take them to the vicar to bless them.
(b) Pay for their burial.
(c) He would kill them.
(d) Bring them back to the inn.
7. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not a thief.
(b) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(c) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(d) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
8. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
(b) The dregs of society.
(c) Outcasts of respectable society.
(d) Poor farmers.
9. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
10. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As sullen.
(b) As strict.
(c) As vivacious.
(d) As jolly.
11. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A few letters of correspondence.
(b) A bloody knife.
(c) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
12. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He goes on a drinking binge.
(b) He comes down with a fever.
(c) He bumps his head.
(d) He has a hallucination.
13. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
(d) Her hometown.
14. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The nineteenth century.
(b) The seventeenth century.
(c) The eighteenth century.
(d) The twentieth century.
15. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
(a) Tregurrian Marsh.
(b) Todpool Marsh.
(c) Trewoon Marsh.
(d) Trewartha Marsh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
2. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
3. Who raised Mary?
4. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
5. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)