|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) A duality in his personality.
(b) That he seems to distrust people.
(c) His crippled hand.
(d) That she caught him glaring at her.
2. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
3. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The twentieth century.
(b) The nineteenth century.
(c) The seventeenth century.
(d) The eighteenth century.
4. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
(a) She can't be seen in Patience's dress.
(b) She promised she would stay in her room.
(c) It is very late.
(d) Joss's friends are loitering around.
5. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
(a) How he takes his tea.
(b) How he treats Patience.
(c) How dirty his hands are.
(d) How he chews his food.
6. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A birth.
(b) A fire.
(c) A murder.
(d) A shipwreck.
7. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
(a) Because of his age.
(b) Because of his smile.
(c) Because of his shyness.
(d) Because of his profession.
8. Where is Jamaica Inn located?
(a) Between Bodmin and the border.
(b) Just outside of Mary's hometown.
(c) Between Bodmin and Launceston.
(d) In Launceston.
9. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As sullen.
(b) As jolly.
(c) As vivacious.
(d) As strict.
10. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
11. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
(a) They are opulent in decoration.
(b) They are completely empty.
(c) They are full of cobwebs.
(d) They are used for storage.
12. Who died when Mary was six years old?
(a) Mary's grandfather.
(b) Mary's sister.
(c) Mary's best friend.
(d) Mary's father.
13. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
(b) Horse thief.
(d) Confidence man.
14. What kind of work did her family do?
(a) Brick work.
(b) Textile work.
(c) Pottery work.
(d) Farm work.
15. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A few letters of correspondence.
(b) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
(d) A bloody knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
2. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
4. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
5. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)