|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) In a carriage.
(b) On horseback.
(c) On foot.
(d) In his dogcart.
2. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He bumps his head.
(b) He comes down with a fever.
(c) He has a hallucination.
(d) He goes on a drinking binge.
3. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
(a) Trip on the loose rocks.
(b) Fall into a ditch.
(c) Lose her shoes in mud.
(d) Get stuck in moors.
4. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
(c) A bloody knife.
(d) A few letters of correspondence.
5. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) Jamaica Inn.
(b) To the moors.
(c) To her hometown.
6. In Chapter 4, what does Mary overhear a man in the bar say to Joss, after the other men have left?
(a) That he wants a bigger cut of their spoils.
(b) That he no longer wishes to participate in the criminal enterprise.
(c) That he thinks the law has discovered their crimes.
(d) That he has killed someone.
7. What kind of house does Jem have?
(a) A farm.
(b) A cabin.
(c) A shack.
(d) A cottage.
8. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
(a) The Marlin family.
(b) The Morlynn family.
(c) The Merlyn family.
(d) The Mermann family.
9. What does Mary begin to wonder about Jem's visit in Chapter 6?
(a) Whether or not it was a coincidence.
(b) Whether he had been waiting for her.
(c) Whether she acted foolishly.
(d) Whether he had an alterior motive for coming.
10. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
(a) To hold village meetings.
(b) For the convenience of travelers.
(c) To be Joss's personal residence.
(d) To run Joss's business from.
11. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
(a) Jem accuses her of being afraid.
(b) She feels sorry for him.
(c) Jem offers to reward her.
(d) She thinks of what Christmas Eve with Joss would be like.
12. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
(a) She quickly dresses.
(b) She pretends to be sick.
(c) She stares out her window.
(d) She speaks to her dead parents.
13. Who raised Mary?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her father.
14. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
(a) Joss shouting.
(b) Wagons in the yard.
(c) Dogs barking.
(d) The smell of baking bread.
15. What does Jem invite Mary to do for him in Chapter 8?
(a) Make him lunch.
(b) Organize his books.
(c) Clean his kitchen.
(d) Do his laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
2. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
3. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
4. Who died when Mary was six years old?
5. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)