|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
(a) Three times.
(c) Five times.
2. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
(a) Joss is not home.
(b) She trusts Squire Basset.
(c) She wants him to walk into her trap.
(d) It is raining outside.
3. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
4. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) As though he were a baby.
(b) As though he were a dog.
(c) Like a stranger.
(d) Without much care.
5. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
(a) To hold village meetings.
(b) To be Joss's personal residence.
(c) To run Joss's business from.
(d) For the convenience of travelers.
6. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) Jamaica Inn.
(b) To the moors.
(c) To her hometown.
7. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
(a) Local men who try to talk to her.
(b) The mice and insects in the house.
(c) Noises in the yard during the night.
(d) Questions she is asked about Joss.
8. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not a thief.
(b) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(c) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
(d) That her uncle is not a bad person.
9. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
(a) They are completely empty.
(b) They are opulent in decoration.
(c) They are used for storage.
(d) They are full of cobwebs.
10. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
(a) Just before lunch.
(b) In the evening.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the early morning.
11. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As sullen.
(b) As jolly.
(c) As vivacious.
(d) As strict.
12. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is feeling sick.
(c) He is giddy with excitement.
(d) He is hallucinating.
13. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
(b) An unknown figure.
14. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A warrant to search the inn.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A letter from a magistrate.
(d) A lantern.
15. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
(a) The driver's smell.
(b) The weather.
(c) The foreign landscape.
(d) The driver's incessant talking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
2. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
3. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
4. What is Mary's aunt's name?
5. What is Mary's last name?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)