|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She sits on the porch.
(b) She takes long walks on the moors.
(c) She reads in her room.
(d) She goes to the river.
2. Who does Joss meet with after Harry leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) A man who has been hiding in the empty rooms.
(b) A man with a very deep voice.
(c) A man who is drunk.
(d) A man disguised as a vicar.
3. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
(a) Five days.
(b) One day.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Three days.
4. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
(a) Throw eggs at Jamaica Inn.
(b) Pray for Jamaica Inn.
(c) Have drinks at Jamaica Inn.
(d) Have parties at Jamaica Inn.
5. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) Like a stranger.
(b) As though he were a dog.
(c) Without much care.
(d) As though he were a baby.
6. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
(a) He doesn't sleep.
(b) He drinks.
(c) He carves them grave stones.
(d) He prays.
7. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
(a) George Davey.
(b) Matthew Davey.
(c) Lucas Davey.
(d) Francis Davey.
8. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) Jamaica Inn.
(b) To her hometown.
(c) To the moors.
9. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Wearing her best dress.
(b) Missing church services.
(c) Coming to see him alone.
(d) Avoiding her family.
10. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Keep Patience company.
(b) Work in the bar.
(c) Dine at a friends'.
(d) Stay in her bedroom.
11. What kind of work did her family do?
(a) Pottery work.
(b) Brick work.
(c) Farm work.
(d) Textile work.
12. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
(a) Joss is not home.
(b) She trusts Squire Basset.
(c) She wants him to walk into her trap.
(d) It is raining outside.
13. What does Joss talk to Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Finding her a husband.
(b) Running away to the north.
(c) His parents.
(d) His criminal experiences.
14. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) On horseback.
(b) On foot.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) In his dogcart.
15. What night of the week does Joss have his friends to the inn?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
2. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
3. What century is the novel set in?
4. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
5. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)