|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Joss's brother's occupation?
(a) Horse thief.
(b) Confidence man.
2. Who does Joss meet with after Harry leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) A man who is drunk.
(b) A man who has been hiding in the empty rooms.
(c) A man with a very deep voice.
(d) A man disguised as a vicar.
3. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As strict.
(b) As sullen.
(c) As vivacious.
(d) As jolly.
4. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A fire.
(b) A murder.
(c) A birth.
(d) A shipwreck.
5. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
(a) One of Joss' friends.
(b) The cat.
(d) Her aunt.
6. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
7. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
(a) She feels sick.
(b) She gets lost.
(c) She trips and falls.
(d) She encounters a flock of sheep.
8. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
(a) Lose her shoes in mud.
(b) Trip on the loose rocks.
(c) Fall into a ditch.
(d) Get stuck in moors.
9. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
(a) His housefire.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) His father's disappearance.
(d) The village riot.
10. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A child.
(b) An old woman.
(d) A man on horseback.
11. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To only marry for love.
(b) To finish school.
(c) To travel the world and forget about her.
(d) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
12. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A letter from a magistrate.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A warrant to search the inn.
13. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She sits on the porch.
(b) She goes to the river.
(c) She takes long walks on the moors.
(d) She reads in her room.
14. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
(a) The Mermann family.
(b) The Merlyn family.
(c) The Marlin family.
(d) The Morlynn family.
15. What is Mary's aunt's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
2. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
3. Who raised Mary?
4. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
5. Who did Joss buy the inn from?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)