|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) Without much care.
(b) Like a stranger.
(c) As though he were a dog.
(d) As though he were a baby.
2. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She takes long walks on the moors.
(b) She reads in her room.
(c) She goes to the river.
(d) She sits on the porch.
3. What does Joss talk to Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Running away to the north.
(b) His parents.
(c) His criminal experiences.
(d) Finding her a husband.
4. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
(a) Fall into a ditch.
(b) Get stuck in moors.
(c) Lose her shoes in mud.
(d) Trip on the loose rocks.
5. What is Mary's last name?
6. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
(a) They are opulent in decoration.
(b) They are used for storage.
(c) They are completely empty.
(d) They are full of cobwebs.
7. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
(a) Writes in her diary.
(b) Has tea.
(c) Visits neighbors.
(d) Does household chores.
8. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As sullen.
(b) As strict.
(c) As jolly.
(d) As vivacious.
9. Who raised Mary?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
10. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Missing church services.
(b) Wearing her best dress.
(c) Coming to see him alone.
(d) Avoiding her family.
11. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To stick by her aunt's side.
(b) To keep away from horse thieves.
(c) To brush her teeth.
(d) To keep her mouth shut.
12. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not a thief.
(b) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(c) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(d) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
13. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
14. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) One week.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) Three days.
(d) Ten days.
15. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) The dregs of society.
(b) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
(c) Outcasts of respectable society.
(d) Poor farmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
2. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
3. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
4. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
5. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)