|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A man on horseback.
(b) A child.
(c) An old woman.
2. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
(a) Pay for their burial.
(b) He would kill them.
(c) Take them to the vicar to bless them.
(d) Bring them back to the inn.
3. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) Outcasts of respectable society.
(b) The dregs of society.
(c) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
(d) Poor farmers.
4. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
5. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) One day.
6. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) Patience goes to hang laundry.
(b) Patience goes to bed.
(c) Joss kicks Patience out of the house.
(d) Patience falls ill.
7. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
(a) That she thinks Joss is a law-abiding man.
(b) That nothing illegal has happened at the inn.
(c) That the silver is her dowry.
(d) That Joss has left town for good.
8. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A birth.
(b) A murder.
(c) A shipwreck.
(d) A fire.
9. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
10. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
(a) Mary doesn't trust anyone anymore.
(b) Mary recognizes the man as a criminal.
(c) To calm Patience.
(d) Joss does not like strangers in his inn.
11. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To only marry for love.
(b) To finish school.
(c) To travel the world and forget about her.
(d) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
12. Who raised Mary?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her grandmother.
13. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He bumps his head.
(b) He comes down with a fever.
(c) He goes on a drinking binge.
(d) He has a hallucination.
14. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
(a) Matthew Davey.
(b) George Davey.
(c) Lucas Davey.
(d) Francis Davey.
15. What is Mary's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
2. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
3. What does Joss talk to Mary about in Chapter 8?
4. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
5. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)