|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She takes long walks on the moors.
(b) She goes to the river.
(c) She reads in her room.
(d) She sits on the porch.
2. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As jolly.
(b) As vivacious.
(c) As sullen.
(d) As strict.
3. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
(a) Take them to the vicar to bless them.
(b) Bring them back to the inn.
(c) Pay for their burial.
(d) He would kill them.
4. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) Three days.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) One week.
(d) Ten days.
5. In Chapter 6, who comes to Jamaica Inn with Squire Basset?
(a) A servant.
(b) His son.
(c) An officer of the law.
(d) Mrs. Basset.
6. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) A duality in his personality.
(b) His crippled hand.
(c) That she caught him glaring at her.
(d) That he seems to distrust people.
7. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
(a) The Morlynn family.
(b) The Merlyn family.
(c) The Marlin family.
(d) The Mermann family.
8. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are suspicious.
(b) They are evil.
(c) They are charming.
(d) They are vulgar.
9. What country does Mary live in?
10. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
(a) Three times.
(c) Five times.
11. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
12. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
(a) To calm Patience.
(b) Mary doesn't trust anyone anymore.
(c) Mary recognizes the man as a criminal.
(d) Joss does not like strangers in his inn.
13. What does Joss talk to Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Finding her a husband.
(b) His parents.
(c) His criminal experiences.
(d) Running away to the north.
14. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The eighteenth century.
(b) The twentieth century.
(c) The nineteenth century.
(d) The seventeenth century.
15. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
(a) Francis Davey.
(b) Matthew Davey.
(c) George Davey.
(d) Lucas Davey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
2. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
3. What kind of house does Jem have?
4. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
5. What is Mary's aunt's name?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)