|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
(a) She trips and falls.
(b) She feels sick.
(c) She encounters a flock of sheep.
(d) She gets lost.
2. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) To the moors.
(b) Jamaica Inn.
(c) To her hometown.
3. What is the name of Joss's brother?
4. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
(a) Mary's mother.
(b) Mary's friend.
(c) Mary's father.
(d) Mary's aunt.
5. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
(a) To calm Patience.
(b) Mary recognizes the man as a criminal.
(c) Mary doesn't trust anyone anymore.
(d) Joss does not like strangers in his inn.
6. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Three days.
(d) One week.
7. How does Mary find herself alone with Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) Patience goes to hang laundry.
(b) Patience goes to bed.
(c) Joss kicks Patience out of the house.
(d) Patience falls ill.
8. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A warrant to search the inn.
(b) A letter from a magistrate.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A lantern.
9. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A threatening letter.
(b) A bloodied knife.
(c) A noose.
(d) A piston.
10. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
(a) Francis Davey.
(b) Matthew Davey.
(c) Lucas Davey.
(d) George Davey.
11. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
(a) Fall into a ditch.
(b) Get stuck in moors.
(c) Trip on the loose rocks.
(d) Lose her shoes in mud.
12. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
(a) Trewartha Marsh.
(b) Tregurrian Marsh.
(c) Trewoon Marsh.
(d) Todpool Marsh.
13. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That he seems to distrust people.
(b) His crippled hand.
(c) That she caught him glaring at her.
(d) A duality in his personality.
14. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
(a) A trip to a village festival.
(b) A trip to the shore with her parents.
(c) A trip to Ireland.
(d) A trip to France.
15. What kind of work did her family do?
(a) Brick work.
(b) Pottery work.
(c) Textile work.
(d) Farm work.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
2. What awakens Mary in Chapter 4?
3. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
4. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
5. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)