|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
(b) A child.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A man on horseback.
2. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
(a) Fall into a ditch.
(b) Lose her shoes in mud.
(c) Trip on the loose rocks.
(d) Get stuck in moors.
3. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
(a) The Morlynn family.
(b) The Merlyn family.
(c) The Mermann family.
(d) The Marlin family.
4. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A letter from a magistrate.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A warrant to search the inn.
(d) A lantern.
5. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
(a) Noises in the yard during the night.
(b) The mice and insects in the house.
(c) Local men who try to talk to her.
(d) Questions she is asked about Joss.
6. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are charming.
(b) They are evil.
(c) They are vulgar.
(d) They are suspicious.
7. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
(a) In the early morning.
(b) Just before lunch.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the evening.
8. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That she caught him glaring at her.
(b) A duality in his personality.
(c) That he seems to distrust people.
(d) His crippled hand.
9. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
(a) The pantry door.
(b) The cellar door.
(c) Joss's bedroom door.
(d) The outer door to the bar.
10. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
11. Where does the driver drop Mary off in Chapter 1?
(a) The gate at Jamaica Inn.
(b) At his sister's house.
(c) At hte town church.
(d) On the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
12. What is Mary's aunt's name?
13. Who does Joss meet with after Harry leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) A man who has been hiding in the empty rooms.
(b) A man with a very deep voice.
(c) A man disguised as a vicar.
(d) A man who is drunk.
14. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) Outcasts of respectable society.
(b) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
(c) The dregs of society.
(d) Poor farmers.
15. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
(a) The foreign landscape.
(b) The driver's smell.
(c) The driver's incessant talking.
(d) The weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
2. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
3. What country does Mary live in?
4. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
5. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)