|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
(a) Pray for Jamaica Inn.
(b) Throw eggs at Jamaica Inn.
(c) Have parties at Jamaica Inn.
(d) Have drinks at Jamaica Inn.
2. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
(a) That Joss has left town for good.
(b) That she thinks Joss is a law-abiding man.
(c) That the silver is her dowry.
(d) That nothing illegal has happened at the inn.
3. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
(a) Chats with the female patrons.
(b) Makes drinks.
(c) Sings for the customers.
(d) Sits in the back room.
4. What is Mary's aunt's name?
5. What is Mary's last name?
6. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
(a) They are completely empty.
(b) They are opulent in decoration.
(c) They are full of cobwebs.
(d) They are used for storage.
7. What kind of house does Jem have?
(a) A farm.
(b) A cottage.
(c) A shack.
(d) A cabin.
8. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
(a) How he chews his food.
(b) How he treats Patience.
(c) How dirty his hands are.
(d) How he takes his tea.
9. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
(a) Just before lunch.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In the evening.
(d) In the early morning.
10. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
(a) She can't be seen in Patience's dress.
(b) It is very late.
(c) Joss's friends are loitering around.
(d) She promised she would stay in her room.
11. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He has a hallucination.
(b) He bumps his head.
(c) He goes on a drinking binge.
(d) He comes down with a fever.
12. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
(a) A trip to a village festival.
(b) A trip to Ireland.
(c) A trip to France.
(d) A trip to the shore with her parents.
13. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
(a) Because of his profession.
(b) Because of his age.
(c) Because of his smile.
(d) Because of his shyness.
14. What does Mary begin to wonder about Jem's visit in Chapter 6?
(a) Whether or not it was a coincidence.
(b) Whether he had an alterior motive for coming.
(c) Whether he had been waiting for her.
(d) Whether she acted foolishly.
15. In Chapter 4, what does Mary overhear a man in the bar say to Joss, after the other men have left?
(a) That he has killed someone.
(b) That he no longer wishes to participate in the criminal enterprise.
(c) That he wants a bigger cut of their spoils.
(d) That he thinks the law has discovered their crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
2. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
3. Where does the driver drop Mary off in Chapter 1?
4. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
5. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)