|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A fire.
(b) A murder.
(c) A birth.
(d) A shipwreck.
2. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
3. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
(a) To be Joss's personal residence.
(b) To hold village meetings.
(c) To run Joss's business from.
(d) For the convenience of travelers.
4. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A piston.
(b) A noose.
(c) A threatening letter.
(d) A bloodied knife.
5. Where does the driver drop Mary off in Chapter 1?
(a) At his sister's house.
(b) At hte town church.
(c) On the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
(d) The gate at Jamaica Inn.
6. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To finish school.
(b) To travel the world and forget about her.
(c) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
(d) To only marry for love.
7. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
(a) Trewartha Marsh.
(b) Trewoon Marsh.
(c) Tregurrian Marsh.
(d) Todpool Marsh.
8. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
9. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
(a) He carves them grave stones.
(b) He doesn't sleep.
(c) He prays.
(d) He drinks.
10. What is Mary's aunt's name?
11. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Three days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) One week.
12. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
13. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
(a) Like a puppy dog.
(b) Like a lioness.
(c) Like a bear.
(d) Like a mouse.
14. What country does Mary live in?
15. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
(a) How he takes his tea.
(b) How he treats Patience.
(c) How he chews his food.
(d) How dirty his hands are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
2. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
3. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
4. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
5. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)