|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
(a) She can't be seen in Patience's dress.
(b) Joss's friends are loitering around.
(c) It is very late.
(d) She promised she would stay in her room.
2. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
(b) That her uncle is not a thief.
(c) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(d) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
3. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
(c) Her charity work.
(d) Keeping up with her correspondence.
4. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
(a) Mary's father.
(b) Mary's mother.
(c) Mary's friend.
(d) Mary's aunt.
5. What is Mary's last name?
6. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He goes on a drinking binge.
(b) He comes down with a fever.
(c) He has a hallucination.
(d) He bumps his head.
7. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
(a) The pantry door.
(b) The cellar door.
(c) The outer door to the bar.
(d) Joss's bedroom door.
8. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
9. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
(a) Sits in the back room.
(b) Chats with the female patrons.
(c) Sings for the customers.
(d) Makes drinks.
10. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) On foot.
(b) In his dogcart.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In a carriage.
11. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A lantern.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A letter from a magistrate.
(d) A warrant to search the inn.
12. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That she caught him glaring at her.
(b) His crippled hand.
(c) That he seems to distrust people.
(d) A duality in his personality.
13. Who raised Mary?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her grandmother.
14. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
(a) Sit at home alone.
(b) Take some ponies to Launceston.
(c) Help out a church.
(d) Visit the cemetery.
15. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
Short Answer Questions
1. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
2. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
3. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
4. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
5. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)