|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
(a) Take some ponies to Launceston.
(b) Help out a church.
(c) Sit at home alone.
(d) Visit the cemetery.
2. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
(b) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(c) That her uncle is not a thief.
(d) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
3. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
(a) Bring them back to the inn.
(b) Take them to the vicar to bless them.
(c) He would kill them.
(d) Pay for their burial.
4. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
(a) That she thinks Joss is a law-abiding man.
(b) That the silver is her dowry.
(c) That Joss has left town for good.
(d) That nothing illegal has happened at the inn.
5. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To only marry for love.
(b) To travel the world and forget about her.
(c) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
(d) To finish school.
6. How does Mary feel while being kept indoors in Chapter 5?
7. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) One week.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Three days.
8. Who raised Mary?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
9. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To keep her mouth shut.
(b) To keep away from horse thieves.
(c) To stick by her aunt's side.
(d) To brush her teeth.
10. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
(a) Mary's mother.
(b) Mary's friend.
(c) Mary's aunt.
(d) Mary's father.
11. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are evil.
(b) They are suspicious.
(c) They are charming.
(d) They are vulgar.
12. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That she caught him glaring at her.
(b) His crippled hand.
(c) A duality in his personality.
(d) That he seems to distrust people.
13. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
(a) Lucas Davey.
(b) Francis Davey.
(c) George Davey.
(d) Matthew Davey.
14. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A few letters of correspondence.
(c) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
(d) A bloody knife.
15. What country does Mary live in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
2. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
3. What does Mary begin to wonder about Jem's visit in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 6, who comes to Jamaica Inn with Squire Basset?
5. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)