|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Coming to see him alone.
(b) Missing church services.
(c) Wearing her best dress.
(d) Avoiding her family.
2. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
(a) His father's disappearance.
(b) His housefire.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) The village riot.
3. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
(a) Like a lioness.
(b) Like a mouse.
(c) Like a bear.
(d) Like a puppy dog.
4. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
(a) Sits in the back room.
(b) Sings for the customers.
(c) Chats with the female patrons.
(d) Makes drinks.
5. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) Like a stranger.
(b) As though he were a baby.
(c) Without much care.
(d) As though he were a dog.
6. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) Ten days.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) Three days.
(d) One week.
7. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
(a) They are completely empty.
(b) They are full of cobwebs.
(c) They are opulent in decoration.
(d) They are used for storage.
8. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) To the moors.
(b) Jamaica Inn.
(d) To her hometown.
9. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
10. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To keep her mouth shut.
(b) To stick by her aunt's side.
(c) To brush her teeth.
(d) To keep away from horse thieves.
11. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
12. What is the name of Joss's brother?
13. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
14. What country does Mary live in?
15. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A warrant to search the inn.
(c) A letter from a magistrate.
(d) A lantern.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
3. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
4. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
5. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)