|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
(b) To finish school.
(c) To travel the world and forget about her.
(d) To only marry for love.
2. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He comes down with a fever.
(b) He has a hallucination.
(c) He goes on a drinking binge.
(d) He bumps his head.
3. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is feeling sick.
(c) He is hallucinating.
(d) He is giddy with excitement.
4. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
(a) His expectations of her.
(b) Where she is allowed to go.
(c) When he intends to kick her out.
(d) What she may and may not say to Patience.
5. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) As though he were a baby.
(b) Like a stranger.
(c) Without much care.
(d) As though he were a dog.
6. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are evil.
(b) They are charming.
(c) They are vulgar.
(d) They are suspicious.
7. Who did Joss buy the inn from?
(a) His father.
(b) Squire Bassat.
(c) A man with a drinking problemm.
(d) Lord Cornwall.
8. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
9. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A bloodied knife.
(b) A piston.
(c) A threatening letter.
(d) A noose.
10. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
(a) Pray for Jamaica Inn.
(b) Throw eggs at Jamaica Inn.
(c) Have drinks at Jamaica Inn.
(d) Have parties at Jamaica Inn.
11. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Three days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) One week.
12. What does Mary begin to wonder about Jem's visit in Chapter 6?
(a) Whether she acted foolishly.
(b) Whether he had an alterior motive for coming.
(c) Whether he had been waiting for her.
(d) Whether or not it was a coincidence.
13. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
(a) He carves them grave stones.
(b) He doesn't sleep.
(c) He drinks.
(d) He prays.
14. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She sits on the porch.
(b) She takes long walks on the moors.
(c) She reads in her room.
(d) She goes to the river.
15. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
(a) How he treats Patience.
(b) How he chews his food.
(c) How he takes his tea.
(d) How dirty his hands are.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
2. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
3. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
4. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
5. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)