|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) A duality in his personality.
(b) His crippled hand.
(c) That she caught him glaring at her.
(d) That he seems to distrust people.
2. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(b) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
(c) That her uncle is not a thief.
(d) That her uncle is not a bad person.
3. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
(a) Her hometown.
4. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Stay in her bedroom.
(b) Dine at a friends'.
(c) Keep Patience company.
(d) Work in the bar.
5. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
(d) An unknown figure.
6. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
(a) His housefire.
(b) His father's disappearance.
(c) The village riot.
(d) His mother's death.
7. Who died when Mary was six years old?
(a) Mary's sister.
(b) Mary's father.
(c) Mary's best friend.
(d) Mary's grandfather.
8. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
9. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
(a) The outer door to the bar.
(b) Joss's bedroom door.
(c) The pantry door.
(d) The cellar door.
10. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
(a) That nothing illegal has happened at the inn.
(b) That she thinks Joss is a law-abiding man.
(c) That Joss has left town for good.
(d) That the silver is her dowry.
11. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
(a) Noises in the yard during the night.
(b) Questions she is asked about Joss.
(c) The mice and insects in the house.
(d) Local men who try to talk to her.
12. What is Mary's aunt's name?
13. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
(a) She encounters a flock of sheep.
(b) She gets lost.
(c) She feels sick.
(d) She trips and falls.
14. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) To her hometown.
(b) To the moors.
(c) Jamaica Inn.
15. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
(a) At the mention of Jamaica Inn.
(b) When night falls.
(c) Once Mary is the only passenger.
(d) When Mary mentions her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
2. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
3. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
4. What is the name of Joss's brother?
5. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)