|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
(a) That she thinks Joss is a law-abiding man.
(b) That Joss has left town for good.
(c) That nothing illegal has happened at the inn.
(d) That the silver is her dowry.
2. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) Joss's orders.
(b) Cold weather.
(d) A fever.
3. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The eighteenth century.
(b) The twentieth century.
(c) The nineteenth century.
(d) The seventeenth century.
4. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Stay in her bedroom.
(b) Work in the bar.
(c) Dine at a friends'.
(d) Keep Patience company.
5. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That he seems to distrust people.
(b) That she caught him glaring at her.
(c) His crippled hand.
(d) A duality in his personality.
6. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is feeling sick.
(c) He is hallucinating.
(d) He is giddy with excitement.
7. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
(a) Todpool Marsh.
(b) Tregurrian Marsh.
(c) Trewartha Marsh.
(d) Trewoon Marsh.
8. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
(c) Her hometown.
9. Who died when Mary was six years old?
(a) Mary's father.
(b) Mary's grandfather.
(c) Mary's sister.
(d) Mary's best friend.
10. What is Mary's last name?
11. Who raised Mary?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
12. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) Poor farmers.
(b) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
(c) The dregs of society.
(d) Outcasts of respectable society.
13. What night of the week does Joss have his friends to the inn?
14. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As strict.
(b) As sullen.
(c) As jolly.
(d) As vivacious.
15. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A bloody knife.
(c) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
(d) A few letters of correspondence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
3. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
4. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
5. What kind of house does Jem have?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)