|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do while working in the bar in Chapter 4?
(a) Sits in the back room.
(b) Makes drinks.
(c) Sings for the customers.
(d) Chats with the female patrons.
2. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To brush her teeth.
(b) To keep away from horse thieves.
(c) To keep her mouth shut.
(d) To stick by her aunt's side.
3. What is the name of the town Mary grew up in?
4. What incriminating evidence does Squire Basset find at the inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A bloody knife.
(b) A few letters of correspondence.
(c) A cupboard full of silver pieces.
5. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
(a) Keeping up with her correspondence.
(b) Her charity work.
6. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) One of Joss' friends.
(c) The cat.
7. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A birth.
(b) A shipwreck.
(c) A fire.
(d) A murder.
8. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) The dregs of society.
(b) Poor farmers.
(c) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
(d) Outcasts of respectable society.
9. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
(a) That nothing illegal has happened at the inn.
(b) That the silver is her dowry.
(c) That she thinks Joss is a law-abiding man.
(d) That Joss has left town for good.
10. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
(a) Jem accuses her of being afraid.
(b) Jem offers to reward her.
(c) She feels sorry for him.
(d) She thinks of what Christmas Eve with Joss would be like.
11. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Keep Patience company.
(b) Stay in her bedroom.
(c) Dine at a friends'.
(d) Work in the bar.
12. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
(a) Mary recognizes the man as a criminal.
(b) Joss does not like strangers in his inn.
(c) To calm Patience.
(d) Mary doesn't trust anyone anymore.
13. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
(a) Like a mouse.
(b) Like a puppy dog.
(c) Like a lioness.
(d) Like a bear.
14. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
(a) She wants him to walk into her trap.
(b) Joss is not home.
(c) She trusts Squire Basset.
(d) It is raining outside.
15. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
(a) Help out a church.
(b) Visit the cemetery.
(c) Sit at home alone.
(d) Take some ponies to Launceston.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
2. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
3. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
5. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)