|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the vicar of Altarnun?
(a) Matthew Davey.
(b) George Davey.
(c) Lucas Davey.
(d) Francis Davey.
2. What is Mary's last name?
3. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
(a) Cold weather.
(b) A fever.
(c) Joss's orders.
4. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
(a) Trip on the loose rocks.
(b) Get stuck in moors.
(c) Lose her shoes in mud.
(d) Fall into a ditch.
5. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
(a) Visit the cemetery.
(b) Help out a church.
(c) Take some ponies to Launceston.
(d) Sit at home alone.
6. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
(a) Like a puppy dog.
(b) Like a mouse.
(c) Like a bear.
(d) Like a lioness.
7. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
(a) She wants him to walk into her trap.
(b) She trusts Squire Basset.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) Joss is not home.
8. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
(a) Joss does not like strangers in his inn.
(b) To calm Patience.
(c) Mary recognizes the man as a criminal.
(d) Mary doesn't trust anyone anymore.
9. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She sits on the porch.
(b) She goes to the river.
(c) She takes long walks on the moors.
(d) She reads in her room.
10. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
(a) Pay for their burial.
(b) Bring them back to the inn.
(c) He would kill them.
(d) Take them to the vicar to bless them.
11. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A birth.
(b) A murder.
(c) A fire.
(d) A shipwreck.
12. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is hallucinating.
(b) He is feeling sick.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is giddy with excitement.
13. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To only marry for love.
(b) To travel the world and forget about her.
(c) To finish school.
(d) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
14. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Wearing her best dress.
(b) Avoiding her family.
(c) Missing church services.
(d) Coming to see him alone.
15. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
2. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
3. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
4. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
5. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)