|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6-7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To finish school.
(b) To travel the world and forget about her.
(c) To only marry for love.
(d) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
2. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
(a) An unknown figure.
3. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A noose.
(b) A threatening letter.
(c) A bloodied knife.
(d) A piston.
4. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not a thief.
(b) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(c) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
(d) That her uncle is not a bad person.
5. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
(a) That Joss has left town for good.
(b) That the silver is her dowry.
(c) That nothing illegal has happened at the inn.
(d) That she thinks Joss is a law-abiding man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
2. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
3. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
4. Who does Joss meet with after Harry leaves in Chapter 4?
5. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)