|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Mary overhear a man in the bar say to Joss, after the other men have left?
(a) That he has killed someone.
(b) That he thinks the law has discovered their crimes.
(c) That he no longer wishes to participate in the criminal enterprise.
(d) That he wants a bigger cut of their spoils.
2. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
(a) What she may and may not say to Patience.
(b) When he intends to kick her out.
(c) Where she is allowed to go.
(d) His expectations of her.
3. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To travel the world and forget about her.
(b) To only marry for love.
(c) To finish school.
(d) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
4. Who does Mary have breakfast with in Chapter 3?
(a) The cat.
(c) One of Joss' friends.
(d) Her aunt.
5. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The nineteenth century.
(b) The eighteenth century.
(c) The twentieth century.
(d) The seventeenth century.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
2. Who died when Mary was six years old?
3. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
4. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
5. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)