|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise name the twin girl she delivers at the end of the book?
2. How many teachers does the school on Rass have?
3. What does Louise's grandmother call the Captain during the storm?
4. What strange object did the storm dig up?
5. When does Louise say she started to grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise learn has happened after the storm is over?
2. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
3. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
4. What does Louise's grandmother say after they find out what the Captain chooses to do with Trudy's money?
5. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
6. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
7. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
8. What was destroyed in the storm?
9. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
10. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comic relief is a literary tool used well by Paterson in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
WWII was a major historical event that greatly shaped the lives of the characters in this book. How did WWII do this, and which characters were most affected by the inclusion of this major event.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)