|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Louise's clinic in Truitt?
2. What was completely destroyed in the storm?
3. How long does Louise go to school for after Caroline leaves?
4. Who does Louise say she does not want to end up like?
5. Where does Louise's mother offer to send her to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
2. How does Louise describe Truitt?
3. How does Grandmother react after the news of Hiroshima?
4. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
5. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
6. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
7. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
8. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
9. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
10. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different stages of Call's relationship with Caroline, and how do these stages affect Louise and the progression of the plot?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)