|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caroline do during the storm?
2. How many families left Rass after the storm in September?
3. What does the Captain tell Louise she was never meant to be?
4. How many times does Louise return to Rass?
5. How does Grandmother think Trudy died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise's grandmother say after they find out what the Captain chooses to do with Trudy's money?
2. How does Louise feel about herself after the lotion incident, and what is appealing to her about this?
3. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
4. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
5. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
6. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
7. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
8. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
9. What does Louise learn has happened after the storm is over?
10. How does Louise describe Truitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)