|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Trudy die?
2. What does Louise name her first son after?
3. Where is Louise married?
4. How do the watermen know a storm is coming?
5. Where does Louise's mother offer to send her to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
2. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
3. How does Louise feel about herself after the lotion incident, and what is appealing to her about this?
4. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
5. What was destroyed in the storm?
6. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
7. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
8. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
9. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
10. What does Louise learn has happened after the storm is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title of the book, and what role does it play in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)