|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandmother think Trudy died?
2. Who does the Captain marry?
3. What does Louise name her first son after?
4. What was completely destroyed in the storm?
5. Where does water remain after the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
2. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
3. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
4. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
5. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
6. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
7. How does Louise describe Truitt?
8. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
9. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
10. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louise endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Louise performs many acts of service during her time as a nurse. What are some of the most significant examples of this service, and how do these events affects the characters involved in them?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)