|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Joseph follow?
2. How does Louise describe her soul after Call's marriage?
3. What is the major health problem in Truitt?
4. Who does the Captain marry?
5. How many teachers does the school on Rass have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandmother react after the news of Hiroshima?
2. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
3. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
4. What does Louise's grandmother say after they find out what the Captain chooses to do with Trudy's money?
5. What was destroyed in the storm?
6. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
7. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
8. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
9. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
10. How does Louise describe Truitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Patterson have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)