|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Louise go to school for after Caroline leaves?
2. Why does Louise not go to her father's funeral?
3. What kind of person does Louise say has the most freedom?
4. Where does Grandmother sleep while the Captain stays at the Bradshaw house after the storm?
5. How much money does Louise have saved from her crabbing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
2. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
3. What was destroyed in the storm?
4. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
5. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
6. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
7. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
8. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
9. How does Louise describe Truitt?
10. How does Grandmother react after the news of Hiroshima?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Comic relief is a literary tool used well by Paterson in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)