|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Call get married?
2. How do the watermen know a storm is coming?
3. Where does the Captain get married?
4. Why does Louise not go to her father's funeral?
5. What does Louise think of herself after getting angry with Caroline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
2. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
3. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
4. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
5. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
6. What was destroyed in the storm?
7. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
8. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
9. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
10. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where irony is present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Trudy Braxton is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Trudy had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Comic relief is a literary tool used well by Paterson in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)