|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Louise say she started to grow up?
2. Where does the Captain get married?
3. What game does the Captain teach Caroline and Louise?
4. What job does Louise take after Caroline leaves for school?
5. How many times does Louise return to Rass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise learn has happened after the storm is over?
2. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
3. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
4. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
5. What was destroyed in the storm?
6. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
7. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
8. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
9. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
10. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comic relief is a literary tool used well by Paterson in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Trudy Braxton is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Trudy had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)