|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise name the twin girl she delivers at the end of the book?
2. What does Louise's grandmother call the Captain during the storm?
3. What does Grandmother accuse Susan of?
4. What does Louise think of herself after getting angry with Caroline?
5. How does Trudy die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
2. What was destroyed in the storm?
3. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
4. What does Louise learn has happened after the storm is over?
5. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
6. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
7. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
8. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
9. How does Louise feel about herself after the lotion incident, and what is appealing to her about this?
10. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Comic relief is a literary tool used well by Paterson in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Patterson have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)