|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What survived the storm, but had its wild spirit broken?
2. What does Grandmother accuse Susan of?
3. Who does Louise say she does not want to end up like?
4. How does Grandmother think Trudy died?
5. How many families left Rass after the storm in September?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
2. What does Louise learn has happened after the storm is over?
3. What was destroyed in the storm?
4. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
5. What does Louise's grandmother say after they find out what the Captain chooses to do with Trudy's money?
6. How does Louise describe Truitt?
7. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
8. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
9. How does Louise feel about herself after the lotion incident, and what is appealing to her about this?
10. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different stages of Call's relationship with Caroline, and how do these stages affect Louise and the progression of the plot?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)