|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange object did the storm dig up?
2. What does Louise want to see when she travels?
3. Who receives the highest marks on the graduation test in all Rass Island history?
4. What does Louise realize about herself after the storm?
5. When does Louise say she started to grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was destroyed in the storm?
2. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
3. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
4. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
5. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
6. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
7. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
8. How does Grandmother react after the news of Hiroshima?
9. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
10. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trudy Braxton is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Trudy had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different stages of Call's relationship with Caroline, and how do these stages affect Louise and the progression of the plot?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)