|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Louise not go to her father's funeral?
2. What is the major health problem in Truitt?
3. How many families left Rass after the storm in September?
4. Who does Louise say she does not want to end up like?
5. What survived the storm, but had its wild spirit broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
2. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
3. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
4. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
5. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
6. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
7. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
8. What does Louise's grandmother say after they find out what the Captain chooses to do with Trudy's money?
9. How does Louise feel about herself after the lotion incident, and what is appealing to her about this?
10. What was destroyed in the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where irony is present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)