|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise's grandmother call the Captain during the storm?
2. To where does Caroline get a scholarship?
3. What strange object did the storm dig up?
4. What does the sky look like after the storm?
5. What does Grandmother accuse Susan of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
2. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
3. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
4. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
5. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
6. What was destroyed in the storm?
7. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
8. What does Louise learn has happened after the storm is over?
9. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
10. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)