|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Louise say she started to grow up?
2. What religion does Joseph follow?
3. What was completely destroyed in the storm?
4. Where is Louise's clinic in Truitt?
5. Where is Louise married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
2. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
3. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
4. What does Louise name her first child, and why?
5. How does Louise describe Truitt?
6. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
7. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
8. What was destroyed in the storm?
9. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
10. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where irony is present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Comic relief is a literary tool used well by Paterson in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)