|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Louise not attend Call's wedding?
2. What does Louise study when she first gets to college?
3. What does Louise name her first son after?
4. What does Louise's grandmother say Louise is in danger of while the Captain stays at the house?
5. What does Louise study about people while in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
2. Why does Louise's grandmother dislike the Captain?
3. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
4. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
5. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
6. How does Louise describe Truitt?
7. How does Grandmother react after the news of Hiroshima?
8. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
9. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
10. What does Louise's grandmother say after they find out what the Captain chooses to do with Trudy's money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different stages of Call's relationship with Caroline, and how do these stages affect Louise and the progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Louise endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)