|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many families left Rass after the storm in September?
2. Who offers to let the Captain stay at their house during the storm?
3. Who receives the highest marks on the graduation test in all Rass Island history?
4. Where is Louise married?
5. What does Louise want to see when she travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
2. How does Louise feel about herself after the lotion incident, and what is appealing to her about this?
3. How does Louise describe Truitt?
4. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
5. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
6. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
7. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
8. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
9. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
10. What was destroyed in the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WWII was a major historical event that greatly shaped the lives of the characters in this book. How did WWII do this, and which characters were most affected by the inclusion of this major event.
Essay Topic 2
Louise endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)