|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Caroline get a scholarship?
2. What was completely destroyed in the storm?
3. Who does Louise say she does not want to end up like?
4. Whom does Caroline think the Captain should marry?
5. How many families left Rass after the storm in September?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
2. What was destroyed in the storm?
3. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
4. What does Louise like most about the Captain, and why?
5. How does Louise feel when she begins working for her father?
6. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
7. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
8. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
9. How does Louise feel about herself after the lotion incident, and what is appealing to her about this?
10. What does the Captain choose to do with Trudy's money after her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WWII was a major historical event that greatly shaped the lives of the characters in this book. How did WWII do this, and which characters were most affected by the inclusion of this major event.
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Patterson have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)