|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandmother think Trudy died?
2. What religion does Joseph follow?
3. Where does Grandmother sleep while the Captain stays at the Bradshaw house after the storm?
4. What does Louise want to be when she grows up?
5. What does the sky look like after the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Call tell Louise and the Captain when he comes home from the war?
2. Who does the Captain marry, and why?
3. What does the Captain do to try to calm Louise's grandmother during the storm, and how does she respond?
4. What does Louise say about the boredom she feels at school?
5. What does Louise do when she realizes that the older twin she caught at the end of the book is being ignored?
6. What does Louise say the water and the war are doing to the people on the island?
7. What does Louise decide to do in an effort to change her luck?
8. How does Grandmother react after the news of Hiroshima?
9. What does the Captain say to Louise at Christmas?
10. What occasions does Louise return to Rass Island for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Louise performs many acts of service during her time as a nurse. What are some of the most significant examples of this service, and how do these events affects the characters involved in them?
Essay Topic 3
Comic relief is a literary tool used well by Paterson in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)