|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise find when she goes to return the cat found at the Captain's house?
2. What is the narrator's name?
3. What does Louise notice at the ferry when Caroline travels in Chapter 4?
4. In what month does it get hard to breathe in Rass?
5. Whom does Louise ask for advice about Trudy's cats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does the narrator give about her sister in the first chapter?
2. When did Louise say she was the center of attention?
3. How does Louise feel after asking Call if she could join him in the things he does without her during the summer?
4. How does Louise feel after asking her question during the Christmas program rehearsal?
5. What does the Captain do to reveal his identity?
6. What do Louise and Call help the Captain do, and how does Louise feel about it?
7. What do Call and Louise find when they return a cat to Auntie Braxton?
8. What does Caroline suggest they do for Trudy's cats?
9. How does Louise describe the mystery man at the ferry?
10. What did Louise's father do before becoming a waterman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louise endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)