|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of feelings does Louise have for her sister?
2. What does NOT occur in the first chapter?
3. How many siblings does the narrator mention in the first chapter?
4. How much of the island does the narrator's settlement take up?
5. What does water represent to the families on Rass Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Louise and Call do every day after school lets out for the summer?
2. How do most women on the island feel about the bay?
3. How does Louise's relationship with Call and the Captain start to change, and why?
4. What does the Captain do that makes Louise feel more comfortable around him?
5. What does Louise do with the money she earns after school lets out?
6. Why does Caroline have to go to the mainland in Chapter 4?
7. How does Louise feel after asking Call if she could join him in the things he does without her during the summer?
8. What secret did Trudy's father keep from the other islanders?
9. What does Louise say she is walking by as she walks down the streets of Rass?
10. What does the Captain do to reveal his identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Patterson have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title of the book, and what role does it play in the plot?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)