|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the only cat that was not taken care of?
2. What does Louise find when she goes to return the cat found at the Captain's house?
3. How many siblings does the narrator mention in the first chapter?
4. Who owned the house in which the strange man is staying?
5. In what month does it get hard to breathe in Rass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Call and Louise find when they return a cat to Auntie Braxton?
2. How do the girls in town feel about Mr. Rice?
3. What does the Captain do that makes Louise feel more comfortable around him?
4. What does Louise do with the money she earns after school lets out?
5. Why does Call not laugh at most jokes?
6. What do Louise and Call help the Captain do, and how does Louise feel about it?
7. What kind of person does Louise say Caroline is after explaining her music lessons?
8. What clue does the narrator give about her sister in the first chapter?
9. How does Louise's father treat his daughter's differently?
10. What do Louise and Call do every day after school lets out for the summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)