|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Trudy live?
2. Where does Caroline have to travel in Chapter 4?
3. What is Louise's first name?
4. What is the first name of the owner of the cat?
5. What is the narrator's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Call start doing without Louise during the summer?
2. What happened that shamed Hiram Wallace to the point that he left the island?
3. What clue about her future does the narrator give in the first chapter?
4. What clue does the narrator give about her sister in the first chapter?
5. Who does Louise think the strange man is?
6. What surprises Louise when she and Call have lunch with the strange man?
7. Why does Caroline have to go to the mainland in Chapter 4?
8. What does Louise do with the money she earns after school lets out?
9. What do Louise and Call help the Captain do, and how does Louise feel about it?
10. What does Caroline suggest they do for Trudy's cats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where irony is present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)