|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the watermen know a storm is coming?
(a) They sense a change in the wind.
(b) They can smell it.
(c) They can see the waves.
(d) They can hear it.
2. How many letters does Louise receive from Call?
3. What job does Louise take after Caroline leaves for school?
(a) Clam digger.
(b) Boat navigator.
(c) Crab mater.
(d) Oyster culler.
4. What does Grandmother do when Louise stands up for her mother?
(a) Slaps her.
(c) Screeches at the top of her lungs.
(d) Hits her with a bible.
5. What does Grandmother accuse Susan of?
(a) Making her go insane.
(b) Stealing her husband.
(c) Killing Trudy.
(d) Cheating on her son.
6. What religion does Joseph follow?
7. What does Louise name her first son?
8. What does Louise study about people while in school?
(a) Their clothing.
(b) Their eyes.
(c) Their hands.
(d) Their faces.
9. Who does Louise say she does not want to end up like?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Auntie Braxton.
(d) Mrs. Rice.
10. What does the Captain teach Louise when she refuses to go to school?
11. How does Grandmother think Trudy died?
(a) Hiram strangled her.
(b) Hiram beat her.
(c) Hiram starved her.
(d) Hiram poisoned her.
12. How long does Louise go to school for after Caroline leaves?
(a) Three months.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Three weeks.
13. Where does the Captain get married?
(a) In the church.
(b) In the remains of his home.
(c) In Crisfield.
(d) On a ship.
14. What does Louise buy and then hide from Caroline?
(a) Some make-up.
(b) A dress.
(c) A manicure set.
(d) A romance novel.
15. What does the sky look like after the storm?
(a) Foggy and angry.
(b) Clear and beautiful.
(c) Cloudy and misty.
(d) Peaceful and mucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Louise married?
2. To where does Caroline get a scholarship?
3. What kind of person does Louise say has the most freedom?
4. What survived the storm, but had its wild spirit broken?
5. Where does Louise's mother offer to send her to school?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)