|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Grandmother think Trudy died?
(a) Hiram poisoned her.
(b) Hiram beat her.
(c) Hiram starved her.
(d) Hiram strangled her.
2. What kind of person does Louise say has the most freedom?
3. To where does Caroline get a scholarship?
4. Who does Louise say she does not want to end up like?
(a) Mrs. Rice.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Auntie Braxton.
5. Why does Call drop out of school?
(a) He is teased by the other boys.
(b) To support his mother.
(c) He is not learning anything.
(d) It is too hard for him.
6. Who receives the highest marks on the graduation test in all Rass Island history?
7. What does Louise name the twin girl she delivers at the end of the book?
8. What does Louise buy and then hide from Caroline?
(a) A romance novel.
(b) Some make-up.
(c) A manicure set.
(d) A dress.
9. Why does Caroline give up vocal lessons?
(a) She has learned enough to be famous.
(b) Her family doesn't have the money.
(c) The Captain is teaching her instead.
(d) She lost interest.
10. What does the Captain teach Louise when she refuses to go to school?
11. How long does Louise go to school for after Caroline leaves?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
12. Where does water remain after the storm?
(a) In the boats.
(b) In the basement.
(c) In the yard.
(d) In the channel.
13. How do the watermen know a storm is coming?
(a) They can smell it.
(b) They can see the waves.
(c) They sense a change in the wind.
(d) They can hear it.
14. What does Louise name her first son?
15. Who offers to let the Captain stay at their house during the storm?
(b) Mr. Bradshaw.
(d) Mr. Rice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise's mother do during the storm?
2. Whom does Caroline help prepare for the storm?
3. How many letters does Louise receive from Call?
4. What does Louise realize about herself after the storm?
5. What does the Captain tell Louise she was never meant to be?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)