|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Call not have many male friends?
(a) He is fat.
(b) The boys do not like Louise.
(c) He has no father.
(d) He prefers to play with girls.
2. What color is the only cat that was not taken care of?
3. What does Louise ask of Call during the summer?
(a) If he will crab longer with her.
(b) If he could give her some space.
(c) If he will help her write song lyrics.
(d) If she can visit the Captain with him.
4. How old is Louise when she is writing in hopes to earn money?
5. How does Louise's grandmother feel about the water?
(a) She no longer thinks of it.
(b) She hates it.
(c) She loves it.
(d) She is intimidated by it.
6. What surprises Louise during her first visit with the strange man?
(a) Call laughs at his jokes.
(b) Caroline won't sing for him.
(c) He is kind.
(d) He knows who she is.
7. Where does Louise find peace?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In church.
(c) On the water.
(d) In her sleep.
8. What does Louise notice at the ferry when Caroline travels in Chapter 4?
(a) An old man.
(b) A new family.
(c) A military ship.
(d) A strange woman.
9. Who travels with Caroline in Chapter 4?
(a) Her father.
(b) Mr. Rice.
(d) Her mother.
10. What color is the cat that appears at the Captain's house?
11. What does Louise's letter say?
(a) She has won the prize.
(b) He is inviting her to dinner.
(c) They want money to publish her lyrics.
(d) He tells her about the war.
12. What is the Captain's last name?
13. How do the islanders feel when they find out whom the Captain is?
(a) They welcome him.
(b) They apologize to him.
(c) They shun him.
(d) They accept him.
14. What does NOT occur in the first chapter?
(a) Character development.
(b) Plot settlement.
(d) Setting discovery.
15. Where does Caroline have to travel in Chapter 4?
(a) A neighboring village.
(b) The mainland.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The other side of the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings does the narrator mention in the first chapter?
2. What does the Captain want to do with Trudy's cats?
3. How does Louise feel when she presents her idea of not celebrating?
4. How much of the island does the narrator's settlement take up?
5. What does Louise say she walks between as she walks down the streets of Rass Island?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)