|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Mr. Rice been posted?
(d) Pearl Harbor.
2. What kind of feelings does Louise have for her sister?
3. How old were the sisters when they had whooping cough?
4. Where does Caroline have to travel in Chapter 4?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The other side of the island.
(c) A neighboring village.
(d) The mainland.
5. How long has the house that the strange man stays in been abandoned?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Twenty-five years.
6. What color is the cat that appears at the Captain's house?
7. What is the name of the island where the narrator lives?
(a) Rass Island.
(b) Rapt Island.
(c) Ross Island.
(d) Rear Island.
8. What does Louise say she walks between as she walks down the streets of Rass Island?
(a) Old traditions.
(b) Graves of ancestors.
(c) Eyes of the past.
9. What does Louise say the women of the island are not meant to love the way she does?
(a) The men.
(b) The water.
(c) The crabs.
(d) The island.
10. In what month does it get hard to breathe in Rass?
11. How old was Louise when she first learned to catch crabs?
12. What does Louise offer to help the Captain fix?
(a) His boat.
(b) His chair.
(c) His door.
(d) His dock.
13. Who finds Louise crying after her suggestion is given?
(a) Mr. Rice.
14. What did Caroline refuse to do when she was first born?
(d) Open her eyes.
15. How does Louise hear about the attack on Pearl Harbor?
(a) The postman.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The radio.
(d) Word of mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the islanders feel when they find out whom the Captain is?
2. What kind of settlement does the narrator live in?
3. What does water represent to the families on Rass Island?
4. Why does Mr. Bradshaw not allow Louise on his boat?
5. What is the name of Louise's sister?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)