|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louise say she has delusions of in Chapter 1?
(c) The future.
2. What does Louise's sister plan to do over the summer?
(a) Practice singing.
(b) Go on a trip.
(c) Write her autobiography.
(d) Get a good tan.
3. How do the islanders feel when they find out whom the Captain is?
(a) They welcome him.
(b) They accept him.
(c) They apologize to him.
(d) They shun him.
4. Why does Mr. Bradshaw not allow Louise on his boat?
(a) The boat is too small.
(b) She is too young.
(c) Women are not allowed on the boats.
(d) He wants some space.
5. What does the strange man make for Louise when he catches her looking through his window?
(c) Hot cocoa.
6. What does the Captain want to do with Trudy's cats?
(a) Drown them.
(b) Kill them.
(c) Give them away.
(d) Set them out to be wild.
7. How do the wives on the island describe the bay?
(a) As a protectress.
(b) As a fickle lover.
(c) As a mistress.
(d) As a goddess.
8. Where is Rass Island?
(a) Off the coast of California.
(b) Chesapeake Bay.
(c) Puget Sound.
(d) Gulf of Mexico.
9. How much does Caroline have to pay for her music lessons?
(a) $10 a month.
(c) $100 a year.
(d) $10 a week.
10. What is Louise's first name?
11. What does Louise call the strange man after they meet?
12. Why do the children in Rass fear the house that the strange man stays in?
(a) They think it will fall down.
(b) They think it is haunted.
(c) They know it is full of spiders and bugs.
(d) They think a bear lives in it.
13. What family tradition does the narrator's sister not keep?
(a) Staying on the island.
(b) Becoming a teacher.
(c) Going to college.
(d) Marrying a fisherman.
14. What does Louise write to try to earn money?
(a) A story line.
(b) A poem.
(c) Song lyrics.
(d) An ad jingle.
15. What family tradition does the narrator say she does not keep?
(a) Becoming a teacher.
(b) Marrying a fisherman.
(c) Going to college.
(d) Staying on the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Caroline have when she travels in Chapter 4?
2. Why was the Captain not able to do what he wanted with Trudy's cats?
3. For whom does Louise write in hopes of making money?
4. What does Louise offer to help the Captain fix?
5. Whom did the Captain's family want him to marry?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)