|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the driver of Mr. Butler’s coach in Chapter 18?
2. What color is Tobias’s daily workbook where he records the words of Jack under hypnosis?
3. What is the name of Tobias’s son?
4. At what inn does the man in the red waistcoat arrive in the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. Who is the 70-year-old woman that the man in the red waistcoat addresses outside of her home at Number Four Cecil Street in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the confrontation between Jack and Percy Butler in Chapter 17?
2. What assessment is reached regarding the household of Percy in Chapter 39?
3. Who arrives at the home of Percy in Chapter 37? How is this character described?
4. Where do Jack and Percy go in Chapter 22? Why?
5. How have Mr. Butler’s perceptions of Jack changed in Chapter 28?
6. What is Miss Mott doing in the beginning of Chapter 4? What are her thoughts about the household where she works?
7. What do the servants in Mr. Buckle’s house come to discover about Jack in Chapter 16? How does Jack respond?
8. How is Tobias’s household and family described in Chapter 10? What is Tobias’s secret that is revealed in the chapter?
9. What does Jack do on Great Queen Street in Chapter 2? Who is he mistaken for?
10. What news does Mr. Butler bring to Mr. Oates when Mr. Oates returns in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Silas Smith in the narrative. How old is Silas Smith? What is his principle “occupation”? How does Silas go about apprenticing Jack Maggs as a thief?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jack’s early childhood as depicted in his letters to Henry Phipps. Where was Jack discovered as an infant? Who took the baby in? How much did Silas pay for Jack? Where did he take him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Islington and Jack’s life with Mary Britten, Sophina, Tom, and Silas Smith there. How does Jack feel about each of these characters? How does the setting of Islington compare with the previous home of Jack’s family?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)