|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term from Chapter 22 refers to a working-class movement for political reform in Britain between 1838 and 1848?
2. What was the name of Jack’s benefactor growing up?
3. Where is the bookstore called Lackington’s Temple of the Muses said to be located in Chapter 18?
4. What is the name of the little girl that helped Jack break into homes for Silas Smith in Chapter 43?
5. What school had Mercy briefly attended, according to the narrator in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal is made between Jack and Tobias in Chapter 13?
2. What is discovered about the history of Jack in Chapters 23 and 24? How is this discovery made?
3. How does Jack describe his progression as a thief in his letter from Chapter 43? Where did his family resettle during this time?
4. Who is the guest of honor at Mr. Buckle’s house in Chapter 7? How is this character described?
5. How is Jack’s demeanor when he awakens in Chapter 31? What does Jack learn from Edward Constable?
6. Who arrives at the home of Percy in Chapter 37? How is this character described?
7. How is the setting for the novel established in Chapter 1? When and where does the story begin?
8. What assessment is reached regarding the household of Percy in Chapter 39?
9. How is Mercy’s childhood described in Chapter 19? How did Mercy come to meet Mr. Butler?
10. What does Jack do after the dinner party in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the childhood of Mercy Larkin. How old was Mercy when her father died? What led Mercy and her mother to leave their home after her father’s death? Where did they move? How is this setting and lifestyle described?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the “phantom” which haunts Jack Maggs in the novel. How is this creature described in appearance? What symbolism is associated with the phantom? Do you believe the phantom is “real” in Jack’s mind or is it just a suggestion from Tobias that has taken control?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Charles Dickens and his fascination with psychology and the “Criminal Mind.” How did Dickens develop the characters from his novels? What historical evidence suggests that Dickens based these characters on real individuals? How faithful is the depiction of Tobias Oates in comparison with the history of Charles Dickens?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)