|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Tobias’s daily workbook where he records the words of Jack under hypnosis?
2. Who is the driver of Mr. Butler’s coach in Chapter 18?
3. Who is the first to go into the scullery and meet with the visiting “doctor” in Chapter 39?
4. Where does Henry Hawthorne have lunch with Tobias on April 23 in Chapter 25?
5. What is the name of Mr. Buckle’s “bibulous and senile butler” that he inherited along with his house on Great Queen Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the servants in Mr. Buckle’s house come to discover about Jack in Chapter 16? How does Jack respond?
2. How is the character of Edward Constable described in Chapter 6? What does he bring to Jack?
3. What does Jack write about his first experience with thievery in his letter to Henry in Chapter 26?
4. Who arrives at the home of Percy in Chapter 37? How is this character described?
5. How is Mercy’s childhood described in Chapter 19? How did Mercy come to meet Mr. Butler?
6. To whom does Jack write a letter in Chapter 21? What is revealed in this letter?
7. What does the reader learn about the relationship between Mr. Butler and Mercy in Chapter 30? What does Jack reveal to Mr. Butler in this chapter?
8. What deal is made between Jack and Tobias in Chapter 13?
9. How is Tobias’s household and family described in Chapter 10? What is Tobias’s secret that is revealed in the chapter?
10. Who is the guest of honor at Mr. Buckle’s house in Chapter 7? How is this character described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Tobias Oates in Jack Maggs. How old is Oates described as being in Chapters 9-11? How is his demeanor described? What other guests attend the dinner party and how do they relate to Tobias Oates?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Sophina in Jack Maggs. How does Jack meet Sophina? What is their relationship like? How does Jack perceive Tom’s feelings for Sophina? What happens to Sophina?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Jack Maggs as the protagonist of the novel. How is the appearance of Jack Maggs described by the author? How is his demeanor illustrated through his actions? Does the narrator of the story have an omniscient perspective? How does this allow the reader to know more about Jack Maggs?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)