|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in the opening of Chapter 82, “It had always been Tobias’s method to approach his subject by way of” what?
(a) “The mind.”
(b) “The body.”
(c) “The childhood.”
(d) “The spirit.”
2. How does Jack kill the Thief-taker in Chapter 68?
(a) He shoots him.
(b) He hits him with an axe.
(c) He slits his throat.
(d) He hangs him.
3. Where does Tobias tell Jack the Thief-catcher lives in Chapter 56?
4. When the Thief-taker first appears at the Bull Inn to meet with Jack and Tobias, he appears to be what?
(a) A clergyman.
(b) A little boy.
(c) A doctor.
(d) An old woman.
5. When Jack met Henry, Henry told him he was an orphan and that he was to be sent where to live with other orphans, according to Jack’s story in Chapter 71?
(b) Chancery Lane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack tell Mr. Spinks he should never look in the eye in Chapter 46?
2. What was the name on the pill bottles that Mary Britten began selling instead of sausages, according to Jack’s letter in Chapter 58?
3. By what source on his land in Australia does Jack say he earned his fortune in Chapter 62?
4. How much money does Jack say that Henry’s education cost him each year?
5. Mercy realizes in Chapter 85 that Jack has biological children located where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jack and Tobias escape Gloucester in Chapter 70? What dangers do they face?
2. Where are Jack and Tobias going in Chapters 62-63? What exchange of secrets takes place on the journey?
3. In Jack’s recollections from his childhood, how does he describe the altercation that took place between Ma Britten, himself, and Sophina in Chapter 60?
4. What exchange takes place between Mercy and Jack in Chapter 84?
5. What is discovered about Elizabeth Warriner’s condition in Chapter 86?
6. To whom does Jack write a letter in Chapter 58? What does he relate in the beginning of the letter?
7. What occurrences have shaped the prospects of Tobias Oates in Chapter 61?
8. What ailment is causing problems for Tobias’s infant son in Chapter 52? Who does he go to fetch for help?
9. How is the meeting between Jack, Tobias, and the Thief-taker described in Chapter 67?
10. How does Jack apprehend Tobias in Chapter 76? Where does he lead him?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)