|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A bailiff with muddy boots brings Tobias three promissory notes signed by whom in Chapter 50?
(a) Mr. Pope.
(b) Elizabeth Warriner.
(c) Mary Britten.
(d) John Oates.
2. What kind of boat do Jack and Tobias escape in, in Chapter 70?
(a) A canoe.
(b) A yacht.
(c) A punt.
(d) A steam ship.
3. When Jack met Henry, Henry told him he was an orphan and that he was to be sent where to live with other orphans, according to Jack’s story in Chapter 71?
(c) Chancery Lane.
4. What does Jack tell Mr. Spinks he should never look in the eye in Chapter 46?
(a) A lion.
(b) A cat.
(c) A pooka.
(d) A mule.
5. By what source on his land in Australia does Jack say he earned his fortune in Chapter 62?
Short Answer Questions
1. The letters that Jack sends to Henry Phipps are written with what?
2. Where does the narrator in Chapter 83 says Tobias and Lizzie bought the fire-screen together?
3. Tobias is compared to the hero of what novel written by him as he watches “his liberators pass him by while all the time berating himself for his own cowardice” in Chapter 76?
4. Where does Tobias spend the night at a lodging house in Chapter 55?
5. What weapon does Mr. Butler give to Henry in Chapter 79?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tobias’s son treated in Chapters 52 and 53? What further complications does Tobias encounter in these chapters?
2. What discussion takes place between Jack and Mercy in Chapter 87?
3. To whom does Jack write a letter in Chapter 58? What does he relate in the beginning of the letter?
4. What leads to the violent conflict that takes place in Chapter 68? What do Jack and Tobias do afterward?
5. How do Jack and Tobias escape Gloucester in Chapter 70? What dangers do they face?
6. What discussion takes place between Mr. Butler, Mr. Makepeace, and Mr. Phipps in Chapter 79?
7. What exchange takes place between Tobias and Dr. Grieves at Mr. Butler’s house in Chapter 50?
8. What takes place in Tobias’s house in Chapter 82? Where does Jack go when he leaves?
9. Where are Jack and Tobias going in Chapters 62-63? What exchange of secrets takes place on the journey?
10. How does Jack apprehend Tobias in Chapter 76? Where does he lead him?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)