|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what year does Jack say in his letter that he and his family “ate best brisket, chump chops, rolled roast beef from the butcher’s shop in Upper Street, and Mrs. Britten was the owner of two freehold titles” in Chapter 58?
2. What was the name of the man that Tobias’s father was accused of killing when Tobias was a child?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Devonshire.
(c) Mr. James.
(d) Mr. Judd.
3. It is Jack’s plan to travel down the river until he and Tobias arrive where, in Chapter 71?
4. How old does Jack say Henry was when he first met him in Chapter 71?
5. On what river do Tobias and Jack escape in Chapter 70?
(a) The Severn River.
(b) The River Thames.
(c) The Osceola River.
(d) The Jackson River.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Buckle describe his relationship to Jack when he speaks with Henry in chapter 73?
2. Whose body does the Thief-taker say he found “when everyone said he was touring in the Pyrenees” in Chapter 67?
3. Henry meets with Mr. Butler and his lawyer in a subaltern of what regiment in Chapter 79?
4. When the Thief-taker first appears at the Bull Inn to meet with Jack and Tobias, he appears to be what?
5. Where does Mercy tell Jack she will take him to find Henry at the end of Chapter 84?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who appears to meet with Henry in Chapter 73? Why?
2. Where are Jack and Tobias going in Chapters 62-63? What exchange of secrets takes place on the journey?
3. What does Jack discover in Tobias’s notebook in Chapters 73 and 74? How does Jack respond?
4. What is discovered about Elizabeth Warriner’s condition in Chapter 86?
5. What outcome is revealed for Jack and Mercy Larkin in the denouement of the novel?
6. What takes place in Tobias’s house in Chapter 82? Where does Jack go when he leaves?
7. What leads to the violent conflict that takes place in Chapter 68? What do Jack and Tobias do afterward?
8. How does Jack describe the punishment he and Sophina received from Ma Britten in Chapter 65?
9. What discussion takes place between Jack and Mercy in Chapter 87?
10. What exchange takes place between Tobias and Jack in Chapter 55?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)