|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Buckle mentions the name Jack to Henry in Chapter 73, Henry’s pulse is said to be “racing as it had raced the day he had been delivered at the door of” whose orphanage?
(a) Mrs. Halfstairs’s.
(b) Miss Peterson’s.
(c) Mrs. Maxwell’s.
(d) Mrs. Gummerson’s.
2. How old was Tobias when his father was charged with killing a man?
3. On what river do Tobias and Jack escape in Chapter 70?
(a) The River Thames.
(b) The Severn River.
(c) The Osceola River.
(d) The Jackson River.
4. What objects does Jack send out along with his letters to Mr. Phipps?
(a) A painting and a coin.
(b) A photograph and a mirror.
(c) A ring and a watch.
(d) A mirror and three lemons.
5. For how many hours in bed has Elizabeth suffering in the opening of Chapter 86?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 62, Tobias begins his novel about Jack. In what year does his first chapter open?
2. How many of the abortion pills does Tobias give to Elizabeth downstairs as Jack waits for him in the study in Chapter 82?
3. What weapon does Mr. Butler give to Henry in Chapter 79?
4. Mary tells Elizabeth that she gave her medicine in what, in Chapter 86?
5. How old is Elizabeth in Chapter 61?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Jack and Tobias going in Chapters 62-63? What exchange of secrets takes place on the journey?
2. How is the meeting between Jack, Tobias, and the Thief-taker described in Chapter 67?
3. What exchange takes place between Tobias and Jack in Chapter 55?
4. Who appears to meet with Henry in Chapter 73? Why?
5. What physical conflict takes place in the climax of the novel in Chapters 88 and 89?
6. How has Tobias gone about securing money to cover his debts in Chapters 56 and 57?
7. What occurrences have shaped the prospects of Tobias Oates in Chapter 61?
8. What exchange takes place between Jack and Constable when Constable returns in Chapter 46?
9. What is discovered about Elizabeth Warriner’s condition in Chapter 86?
10. What takes place in Tobias’s house in Chapter 82? Where does Jack go when he leaves?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)