|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Mercy’s mother?
(a) Mary Larkin.
(b) Marjorie Larkin.
(c) Sarah Larkin.
(d) Elizabeth Larkin.
2. What is the name of Mr. Buckle’s “bibulous and senile butler” that he inherited along with his house on Great Queen Street?
(a) Mr. Constable.
(b) Mr. Spinks.
(c) Mr. Foster.
(d) Mr. Pope.
3. What is the precise date given by the narrator in Chapter 1 when the man with the red waistcoat arrives in London?
(a) September 14, 1837.
(b) April 15, 1837.
(c) May 1, 1837.
(d) March 12, 1836.
4. In Chapter 34, Tobias says he is setting off for what location to write about a recent fire?
(c) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
5. Jack urges Constable to tell the coach driver that Jack wants “to dance with his sister” named what, in Chapter 18?
(a) Miss Class.
(b) Miss Lineman.
(c) Miss Flask.
(d) Miss Titter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is said to have painted a portrait of Tobias in 1838?
2. What play is Henry performing in currently in Chapter 25?
3. What school had Mercy briefly attended, according to the narrator in Chapter 19?
4. What is the name of Tobias’s wife?
5. Mary Britten’s medicinal sausages are implied to induce what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mr. Butler bring to Mr. Oates when Mr. Oates returns in Chapter 36?
2. What does Jack do after the departure of the visitor in Mr. Butler’s home in Chapter 40?
3. How is the setting for the novel established in Chapter 1? When and where does the story begin?
4. How is Jack’s demeanor when he awakens in Chapter 31? What does Jack learn from Edward Constable?
5. What causes the confrontation between Jack and Percy Butler in Chapter 17?
6. Who arrives at the home of Percy in Chapter 37? How is this character described?
7. What assessment is reached regarding the household of Percy in Chapter 39?
8. What does Jack write about his first experience with thievery in his letter to Henry in Chapter 26?
9. How is Mercy’s childhood described in Chapter 19? How did Mercy come to meet Mr. Butler?
10. Where does Tobias travel to in Chapter 34? What does he do at this location?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)