|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what street does Tobias live in Chapter 10?
(a) Great Queen Street.
(b) Chancery Lane.
(c) Whitechapel Street.
(d) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
2. Of what book written Tobias is it said that Mary Oates “never grasped the point”?
(a) Captain Crumley.
(b) Great Expectations.
(c) Mrs. Darcy.
(d) Oliver Twist.
3. How much money did Jack’s benefactor pay to take his naked body when he was found as an infant under the London Bridge?
(a) A penny.
(b) A crown.
(c) Three pennies.
(d) A double-crown.
4. What was the name of Jack’s benefactor growing up?
(a) Edward Constable.
(b) Silas Smith.
(c) Henry Phipps.
(d) Wilf Partridge.
5. What school had Mercy briefly attended, according to the narrator in Chapter 19?
(a) Miss Franklin’s School.
(b) Mrs. McFarlane’s School.
(c) Miss Peterson’s School.
(d) St. Edward’s School for Girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was John Sheppard said to have been hanged in Chapter 13?
2. At what inn does the man in the red waistcoat arrive in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What is the secret that Tobias is said to harbor in Chapter 10?
4. What is the profession of Mr. Tobias Oates?
5. What is the name of the estate where Edward Constable worked prior to working at Great Queen Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack do on Great Queen Street in Chapter 2? Who is he mistaken for?
2. How is Tobias’s household and family described in Chapter 10? What is Tobias’s secret that is revealed in the chapter?
3. Where do Jack and Percy go in Chapter 22? Why?
4. What is discovered about the history of Jack in Chapters 23 and 24? How is this discovery made?
5. How is Jack’s demeanor when he awakens in Chapter 31? What does Jack learn from Edward Constable?
6. How have Mr. Butler’s perceptions of Jack changed in Chapter 28?
7. Where does Tobias travel to in Chapter 34? What does he do at this location?
8. How is Mercy’s childhood described in Chapter 19? How did Mercy come to meet Mr. Butler?
9. How is the character of Edward Constable described in Chapter 6? What does he bring to Jack?
10. What does the reader learn about the relationship between Mr. Butler and Mercy in Chapter 30? What does Jack reveal to Mr. Butler in this chapter?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)