|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Mott reply when Mercy says in Chapter 4, “I don’t think he’s a footman at all. Don’t he look ever so distinguished?”
(a) “He looks like a lord.”
(b) “He looks like a thief.”
(c) “He looks like a murderer.”
(d) “He looks like a gentleman.”
2. Who is the first to go into the scullery and meet with the visiting “doctor” in Chapter 39?
(a) Mrs. Halfstairs.
(b) Mr. Constable.
(c) Tobias Oates.
(d) Jack Maggs.
3. To whom does Jack pen a letter in Chapter 21?
(a) Mercy Larkin.
(b) Wilf Partridge.
(c) Silas Smith.
(d) Henry Phipps.
4. Where did Mercy live in a slum with her mother in her past?
(b) Chancery Lane.
(c) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
(d) Fetter Lane.
5. Who is said to have painted a portrait of Tobias in 1838?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) Samuel Laurence.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Charles Dickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was John Sheppard said to have been hanged in Chapter 13?
2. What school had Mercy briefly attended, according to the narrator in Chapter 19?
3. What is the name of the young girl orphan that Tobias first views in the morgue in Chapter 34?
4. At what inn does the man in the red waistcoat arrive in the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. What is the name of Mr. Buckle’s “bibulous and senile butler” that he inherited along with his house on Great Queen Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Jack and Percy go in Chapter 22? Why?
2. What do the servants in Mr. Buckle’s house come to discover about Jack in Chapter 16? How does Jack respond?
3. What does Jack do after the dinner party in Chapter 9?
4. What causes the confrontation between Jack and Percy Butler in Chapter 17?
5. How is the character of Edward Constable described in Chapter 6? What does he bring to Jack?
6. How does Jack describe his progression as a thief in his letter from Chapter 43? Where did his family resettle during this time?
7. What deal is made between Jack and Tobias in Chapter 13?
8. Where does Jack fall asleep in Chapter 12? Who finds him?
9. How are the emotional and mental states of Mr. Butler’s servants described in Chapters 40-42?
10. What does Jack write about his first experience with thievery in his letter to Henry in Chapter 26?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)