|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tobias offers to help Jack with his inner demons in Tobias’s office in Chapter 13, Jack replies, “But what is it to you, Sir? It is my pain after all.” What is Tobias’s response?
(a) “I am a naturalist.”
(b) “I am a priest.”
(c) “I am a humanist.”
(d) “I am likewise afflicted.”
2. What is the name of the young carpenter’s apprentice that Tobias sees burned in the morgue in Chapter 34?
(a) Wilf Partridge.
(b) Thomas Griff.
(c) Edward Constable.
(d) Silas Smith.
3. The visitor who arrives at Mr. Butler’s home in Chapter 37 is said to be what by the footman who answers the door?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) An actor.
(d) A painter.
4. On what street does Tobias live in Chapter 10?
(a) Great Queen Street.
(b) Chancery Lane.
(c) Whitechapel Street.
(d) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
5. What is the name of the young girl orphan that Tobias first views in the morgue in Chapter 34?
(a) Mavis Crofts.
(b) Amy Griff.
(c) Mary Britten.
(d) Sarah Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Jack’s benefactor pay to take his naked body when he was found as an infant under the London Bridge?
2. What does Jack do after the doctor leaves Mr. Butler’s house in Chapter 40?
3. In what year was John Sheppard said to have been hanged in Chapter 13?
4. What is the conclusion that the “doctor” comes to after inspecting the household’s servants in Chapter 39?
5. Who is the first to go into the scullery and meet with the visiting “doctor” in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Edward Constable confronts Henry in Chapter 45?
2. Where does Tobias travel to in Chapter 34? What does he do at this location?
3. What does the reader learn about the relationship between Mr. Butler and Mercy in Chapter 30? What does Jack reveal to Mr. Butler in this chapter?
4. How is Jack’s demeanor when he awakens in Chapter 31? What does Jack learn from Edward Constable?
5. What does Jack do on Great Queen Street in Chapter 2? Who is he mistaken for?
6. What is Miss Mott doing in the beginning of Chapter 4? What are her thoughts about the household where she works?
7. How is the character of Edward Constable described in Chapter 6? What does he bring to Jack?
8. How does Jack describe his progression as a thief in his letter from Chapter 43? Where did his family resettle during this time?
9. Where does Jack fall asleep in Chapter 12? Who finds him?
10. Where do Jack and Percy go in Chapter 22? Why?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)