|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the man that Tobias’s father was accused of killing when Tobias was a child?
(a) Mr. James.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Judd.
(d) Mr. Devonshire.
2. What does Elizabeth reveal to Tobias in Chapter 54?
(a) She is getting married.
(b) She is taking a job.
(c) She is going to jail.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. What do Jack and Tobias use to bail water from the sinking boat in Chapter 71?
(a) Jack’s suitcase.
(b) Tobias’s top hat.
(c) Tobias’s attaché case.
(d) Jack’s boots.
4. Elizabeth tells Tobias in the beginning of Chapter 61 that she plans to go where by herself?
(a) To America.
(b) To Australia.
(c) To Spain.
(d) To France.
5. Where does Jack encounter Mercy in Chapter 84?
(a) In the corner tavern.
(b) In Mr. Butler’s attic.
(c) In the St. Jude Cemetery.
(d) In Henry Phipps’s house.
6. How does Jack kill the Thief-taker in Chapter 68?
(a) He hangs him.
(b) He slits his throat.
(c) He hits him with an axe.
(d) He shoots him.
7. How old does Jack say Henry was the last time he saw him in Chapter 85?
8. How much money does Jack say that Henry’s education cost him each year?
(a) 20 pounds.
(b) 50 pounds.
(c) 10 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
9. What novel is Elizabeth Warriner reading in the opening of Chapter 64?
(a) Great Expectations.
(b) Castle Rackrent.
(c) Captain Crumley.
(d) Adam Smith.
10. What doctor does the cabbie take Tobias to see in the beginning of Chapter 52?
(a) Dr. Smith.
(b) Dr. Grieves.
(c) Dr. Hardwick.
(d) Dr. Peterman.
11. How old does the narrator say Dick Maggs was “when Jack returned from England” in Chapter 91?
12. Mercy realizes in Chapter 85 that Jack has biological children located where?
(a) In France.
(b) In Australia.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) In Whitechapel.
13. Into what neighborhood did Tobias’s father settle after he received a pardon for his murder charge?
14. What name does Mary recall having been tattooed on Mary Britten’s wrist in Chapter 86?
15. What was the name on the pill bottles that Mary Britten began selling instead of sausages, according to Jack’s letter in Chapter 58?
(a) Dr. Britten’s Cock’s Spur Pills for Female Disorders.
(b) Ma Britten’s Special Remedy Pills for Women.
(c) Ma Britten’s Secret Ingredient Pills for Female Disorders.
(d) Dr. Britten’s Dysentery Curative Pills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the treacherous whip that was used on Jack in the pits in Australia called in the novel?
2. Tobias is compared to the hero of what novel written by him as he watches “his liberators pass him by while all the time berating himself for his own cowardice” in Chapter 76?
3. Who opens the door of Henry’s home and shouts at Henry to fire in Chapter 90?
4. How does Mr. Buckle describe his relationship to Jack when he speaks with Henry in chapter 73?
5. What does Mr. Butler do to Mercy at the end of Chapter 80?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)