|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what street does Mary Oates walk when she leaves home in Chapter 77?
(a) Cecil Street.
(b) Great Windmill Street.
(c) Chancery Lane.
(d) Great Queen Street.
2. Who does Mary Oates go to see when she leaves her home in Chapter 77?
(a) Jack Maggs.
(b) Percy Buckle.
(c) Mary Britten.
(d) Henry Phipps.
3. How many of the abortion pills does Tobias give to Elizabeth downstairs as Jack waits for him in the study in Chapter 82?
4. What does Mercy have that she found in a little envelope in Jack’s pocket in Chapter 49?
(a) A key and a number.
(b) A letter and a postcard.
(c) Two locks of baby’s hair.
(d) A ring and a watch.
5. The narrator states in the opening of Chapter 82, “It had always been Tobias’s method to approach his subject by way of” what?
(a) “The body.”
(b) “The childhood.”
(c) “The spirit.”
(d) “The mind.”
6. What was the name on the pill bottles that Mary Britten began selling instead of sausages, according to Jack’s letter in Chapter 58?
(a) Ma Britten’s Special Remedy Pills for Women.
(b) Dr. Britten’s Dysentery Curative Pills.
(c) Ma Britten’s Secret Ingredient Pills for Female Disorders.
(d) Dr. Britten’s Cock’s Spur Pills for Female Disorders.
7. What is the treacherous whip that was used on Jack in the pits in Australia called in the novel?
(a) The dragon-tooth whip.
(b) The laser whip.
(c) The double-dog.
(d) The double-cat.
8. What substance in Mary Britten’s abortion pills “gave all our hands an unpleasant fishy smell” according to Jack in his letter from Chapter 58?
9. Where does Mercy tell Jack she will take him to find Henry at the end of Chapter 84?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) Covent Garden.
(c) Great Windmill Street.
(d) Lineham Hall.
10. Whose assurance does Tobias have that the Thief-taker will receive messages at the Bull, according to the narrator in Chapter 66?
(a) Sir Spencer Spence’s.
(b) Mr. Pope’s.
(c) Silas Smith’s.
(d) Dr. Eliotson’s.
11. For how many hours in bed has Elizabeth suffering in the opening of Chapter 86?
12. How long does Mary tell Elizabeth that she’s known about her condition in Chapter 86?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 1 week.
13. At what location do Jack and Tobias and their fellow passengers decide to abandon the coach and walk the road while the train descends in Chapter 66?
(c) Burlip Hill.
(d) Great Queen Street.
14. Who is the man that knows Jack and who works at the Bull Inn in Chapter 66?
(a) Silas Smith.
(b) George Conklin.
(c) Wilf Partridge.
(d) Samuel Laurence.
15. Where does Tobias tell Jack the Thief-catcher lives in Chapter 56?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what river do Tobias and Jack escape in Chapter 70?
2. How old does Jack say Henry was the last time he saw him in Chapter 85?
3. How much money does Jack say that Henry’s education cost him each year?
4. How old was Tobias when his father was charged with killing a man?
5. Who opens the door of Henry’s home and shouts at Henry to fire in Chapter 90?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)