|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack say he was known for “in the Colony” when speaking to Tobias in Chapter 62?
2. In Chapter 62, Tobias begins his novel about Jack. In what year does his first chapter open?
3. Who does Jack say is heartbroken when he is under Tobias’s hypnotism in Chapter 55?
4. Chapter 74 is comprised of what chapter of Tobias’s book about Jack?
(a) Chapter Ten.
(b) Chapter Three.
(c) Chapter One.
(d) Chapter Two.
5. Whose assurance does Tobias have that the Thief-taker will receive messages at the Bull, according to the narrator in Chapter 66?
(a) Silas Smith’s.
(b) Sir Spencer Spence’s.
(c) Mr. Pope’s.
(d) Dr. Eliotson’s.
6. What does Jack tell Mr. Spinks he should never look in the eye in Chapter 46?
(a) A pooka.
(b) A mule.
(c) A lion.
(d) A cat.
7. Mercy realizes in Chapter 85 that Jack has biological children located where?
(a) In Australia.
(b) In Whitechapel.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) In France.
8. How much money does Jack say that Henry’s education cost him each year?
(a) 20 pounds.
(b) 10 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 50 pounds.
9. What does the doctor demand as payment for his services after he’s saved Tobias’s baby from infection in Chapter 53?
(a) Elizabeth’s necklace.
(b) Tobias’s wedding ring.
(c) Mary’s wedding ring.
(d) Tobias’s painting.
10. What weapon does Mr. Butler give to Henry in Chapter 79?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A sword.
(d) A rifle.
11. Henry meets with Mr. Butler and his lawyer in a subaltern of what regiment in Chapter 79?
(a) The 57th Foot Regiment.
(b) The 72nd Foot Regiment.
(c) The 15th Foot Regiment.
(d) The 63rd Foot Regiment.
12. When the Thief-taker first appears at the Bull Inn to meet with Jack and Tobias, he appears to be what?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A little boy.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A clergyman.
13. How many of the abortion pills does Tobias give to Elizabeth downstairs as Jack waits for him in the study in Chapter 82?
14. The doctor that comes to see Spinks says that he will put down what as the cause of death on the death certificate in Chapter 50?
15. To what street does Mary Oates walk when she leaves home in Chapter 77?
(a) Great Windmill Street.
(b) Cecil Street.
(c) Chancery Lane.
(d) Great Queen Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the Character Sketch that Tobias writes for the Observer in Chapter 50?
2. What kind of boat do Jack and Tobias escape in, in Chapter 70?
3. In Chapter 91, the narrator states that Mercy insisted the Maggs family move from Sydney to where after her arrival?
4. What doctor does the cabbie take Tobias to see in the beginning of Chapter 52?
5. What is the name of the beloved tutor that rescued Henry from the orphanage?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)