|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mercy tells Jack in Chapter 28 that Tobias, Mr. Butler, and Mrs. Oates know his secret. She tells Jack, “They say that you are a convict from” where?
(a) “Gregory Simm’s gang.”
(b) “The Irish Waters.”
(c) “New South Wales.”
(d) “Northern Africa.”
2. Where was John Sheppard said to have been hanged in Chapter 13?
3. What is the name of Mary Britten’s “big red-boned son”?
(a) Tom Britten.
(b) Peter Britten.
(c) Silas Britten.
(d) Jack Britten.
4. What is the name of Mercy’s mother?
(a) Elizabeth Larkin.
(b) Mary Larkin.
(c) Marjorie Larkin.
(d) Sarah Larkin.
5. Where does Jack say he and his adopted family moved after the summer of 1801?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
6. How much money did Jack’s benefactor pay to take his naked body when he was found as an infant under the London Bridge?
(a) A crown.
(b) Three pennies.
(c) A double-crown.
(d) A penny.
7. How many paces behind him does Mr. Butler instruct Jack to keep as they walk to Tobias’s home in Chapter 22?
8. Through whose house does Jack escape from to the street below in the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Smith’s.
(b) Mr. Phipps’s.
(c) Mr. Pope’s.
(d) Mr. Laurence’s.
9. What color is Tobias’s daily workbook where he records the words of Jack under hypnosis?
10. Who is the chief actor at the Lyceum Theatre and a guest at Mr. Buckle’s estate in Chapter 7?
(a) Edward Constable.
(b) Samuel Laurence.
(c) Henry Hawthorne.
(d) Wilf Partridge.
11. The “doctor” who appears at Mr. Butler’s home in Chapters 37-39 speaks of what being present on Great Queen Street?
(c) Black Plague.
12. By what name does Tobias refer to his sister-in-law in Chapter 22?
(a) Miss Ross.
(b) Miss Matthews.
(c) Miss Warriner.
(d) Miss McLaughlin.
13. On what street does Tobias live in Chapter 10?
(a) Chancery Lane.
(b) Great Queen Street.
(c) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
(d) Whitechapel Street.
14. How old is Tobias said to be in Chapter 10?
15. To whom does Jack pen a letter in Chapter 21?
(a) Silas Smith.
(b) Henry Phipps.
(c) Mercy Larkin.
(d) Wilf Partridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack urges Constable to tell the coach driver that Jack wants “to dance with his sister” named what, in Chapter 18?
2. What is the name of the young carpenter’s apprentice that Tobias sees burned in the morgue in Chapter 34?
3. In Chapter 7, Mr. Hawthorne describes an article from The Chronicle about a Russian gentleman who came from Sebastopol to learn what in London?
4. What term from Chapter 22 refers to a working-class movement for political reform in Britain between 1838 and 1848?
5. What is the name of the lawyer that had brought Mr. Buckle his “Great Good Fortune”?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)