|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Tobias’s son?
(a) John Oates.
(b) Peter Oates.
(c) Edward Oates.
(d) Jack Oates.
2. In Chapter 34, Tobias says he is setting off for what location to write about a recent fire?
(b) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
3. What term from Chapter 22 refers to a working-class movement for political reform in Britain between 1838 and 1848?
4. When Tobias offers to help Jack with his inner demons in Tobias’s office in Chapter 13, Jack replies, “But what is it to you, Sir? It is my pain after all.” What is Tobias’s response?
(a) “I am likewise afflicted.”
(b) “I am a humanist.”
(c) “I am a naturalist.”
(d) “I am a priest.”
5. Who does Jack say Mrs. Halfstairs had him deliver a message to when he is discovered in the kitchen by Mr. Butler in Chapter 30?
(a) Mr. Hawthorne.
(b) Mr. Stevens.
(c) Mr. Pope.
(d) Mr. Oates.
6. Where does Mr. Buckle say he formerly had his little shop in Chapter 9?
7. What does Mercy discover left behind on Mr. Butler’s desk after Jack has left the room at the end of Chapter 42?
(a) Jack’s watch.
(b) Jack’s ring.
(c) Jack’s pistol.
(d) Jack’s letter.
8. What does Jack do after the doctor leaves Mr. Butler’s house in Chapter 40?
(a) He nails the doors and windows shut.
(b) He creeps into the alley to follow him.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He sends out all the servants.
9. Tobias is said to have purchased the hand of a thief at a little shop where in Chapter 13?
10. What weapon does Jack carry as he goes to the door of Mr. Butler’s study in Chapter 42?
(a) An axe.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A dagger.
11. Mercy tells Jack in Chapter 28 that Mr. Buckle had a sister that was transported where?
(a) To Waterson Bay.
(b) To Botany Bay.
(c) To South Africa.
(d) To America.
12. By what nickname does Jack call Mercy in Chapter 20?
13. What is the name of Mary Britten’s “big red-boned son”?
(a) Jack Britten.
(b) Peter Britten.
(c) Tom Britten.
(d) Silas Britten.
14. Who has collapsed outside the door of Mr. Butler’s study in Chapter 42?
(a) Mr. Pope.
(b) Mr. Butler.
(c) Mr. Spinks.
(d) Mr. Constable.
15. Mercy tells Jack in Chapter 28 that Tobias, Mr. Butler, and Mrs. Oates know his secret. She tells Jack, “They say that you are a convict from” where?
(a) “The Irish Waters.”
(b) “Northern Africa.”
(c) “New South Wales.”
(d) “Gregory Simm’s gang.”
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Jack transported out of London with a life sentence?
2. By what name does Tobias refer to his sister-in-law in Chapter 22?
3. What is the name of the little girl that helped Jack break into homes for Silas Smith in Chapter 43?
4. What color is Tobias’s daily workbook where he records the words of Jack under hypnosis?
5. Who is the 70-year-old woman that the man in the red waistcoat addresses outside of her home at Number Four Cecil Street in Chapter 1?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)