|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the precise date given by the narrator in Chapter 1 when the man with the red waistcoat arrives in London?
(a) March 12, 1836.
(b) May 1, 1837.
(c) September 14, 1837.
(d) April 15, 1837.
2. Tobias is said in Chapter 13 to have ambitions to become “a novelist who might topple” who himself?
(a) Lord Byron.
3. What is the conclusion that the “doctor” comes to after inspecting the household’s servants in Chapter 39?
(a) To quarantine the house.
(b) To burn the house.
(c) To evacuate the house.
(d) To call in more doctors.
4. By what name does Tobias refer to his sister-in-law in Chapter 22?
(a) Miss Warriner.
(b) Miss Ross.
(c) Miss Matthews.
(d) Miss McLaughlin.
5. Mary Britten’s medicinal sausages are implied to induce what?
6. What play is Henry performing in currently in Chapter 25?
(a) King Lear.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) All’s Well that Ends Well.”
7. By what nickname does Jack call Mercy in Chapter 20?
8. What is the name of Mercy’s mother?
(a) Mary Larkin.
(b) Sarah Larkin.
(c) Marjorie Larkin.
(d) Elizabeth Larkin.
9. What weapon does Jack carry as he goes to the door of Mr. Butler’s study in Chapter 42?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A pistol.
(d) An axe.
10. Where did Mercy live in a slum with her mother in her past?
(a) Chancery Lane.
(b) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
(c) Fetter Lane.
11. Who is the “lever man, a great half-wit pugilist” that Jack describes in his letter in Chapter 43?
12. Through whose house does Jack escape from to the street below in the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Phipps’s.
(b) Mr. Smith’s.
(c) Mr. Laurence’s.
(d) Mr. Pope’s.
13. What is the name of Tobias’s son?
(a) Peter Oates.
(b) Jack Oates.
(c) John Oates.
(d) Edward Oates.
14. What color is Tobias’s daily workbook where he records the words of Jack under hypnosis?
15. Mercy tells Jack in Chapter 28 that Tobias, Mr. Butler, and Mrs. Oates know his secret. She tells Jack, “They say that you are a convict from” where?
(a) “Gregory Simm’s gang.”
(b) “The Irish Waters.”
(c) “Northern Africa.”
(d) “New South Wales.”
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the weather described in the morning that begins Chapter 33?
2. Mercy tells Jack in Chapter 28 that Mr. Buckle had a sister that was transported where?
3. How old is Tobias said to be in Chapter 10?
4. What does the word “finder” refer to in the narrative?
5. Where had Mercy Larkin’s father worked as a mechanic, according to the narrator in Chapter 19?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)