|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What night of the week is it when the man with the red waistcoat arrives in London in the opening of Chapter 1?
2. For how many gentlemen is Miss Mott cooking dinner in the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. Where does Mr. Buckle say he formerly had his little shop in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 7, Mr. Hawthorne describes an article from The Chronicle about a Russian gentleman who came from Sebastopol to learn what in London?
(b) Veterinary medicine.
5. Mercy tells Jack in Chapter 41 that she went to a Metzmetric Concert where with Mr. Constable?
(a) Lamb’s Conduit Street.
(b) Great Windmill Street.
(c) Great Queen Street.
(d) Chancery Lane.
6. Who was the master of Mr. Buckle’s home on Great Queen Street prior to Mr. Buckle?
(a) Mr. Oates.
(b) Mr. Foster.
(c) Mr. Quentin.
(d) Mr. Spinks.
7. Mary Britten’s medicinal sausages are implied to induce what?
8. What is the name of the young carpenter’s apprentice that Tobias sees burned in the morgue in Chapter 34?
(a) Thomas Griff.
(b) Wilf Partridge.
(c) Edward Constable.
(d) Silas Smith.
9. What was the name of Jack’s benefactor growing up?
(a) Edward Constable.
(b) Henry Phipps.
(c) Wilf Partridge.
(d) Silas Smith.
10. What color is Tobias’s daily workbook where he records the words of Jack under hypnosis?
11. What is the name of Mercy’s mother?
(a) Sarah Larkin.
(b) Elizabeth Larkin.
(c) Marjorie Larkin.
(d) Mary Larkin.
12. What does Tobias take out and spin when he hypnotizes Jack in Chapter 22?
13. What does Jack do with Mercy when she encounters him in the basement in Chapter 41?
(a) He locks her in her room.
(b) He lets her leave the house.
(c) He hits her on the head with a lantern.
(d) He rapes her.
14. What has Jack drunk a bottle of from Mr. Butler’s cellar when he awakens in the morning in Chapter 32?
(b) Scotch whisky.
15. What is the profession of Mr. Tobias Oates?
(a) He is an author.
(b) He is a painter.
(c) He is an actor.
(d) He is an orchestra maestro.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the driver of Mr. Butler’s coach in Chapter 18?
2. What weapon does Jack carry as he goes to the door of Mr. Butler’s study in Chapter 42?
3. Who is the 70-year-old woman that the man in the red waistcoat addresses outside of her home at Number Four Cecil Street in Chapter 1?
4. What term from Chapter 22 refers to a working-class movement for political reform in Britain between 1838 and 1848?
5. What school had Mercy briefly attended, according to the narrator in Chapter 19?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)