|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do the newspapers give the responsibility of breeding Nordic-blooded individuals to escape the taint of Jewry?
2. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
3. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
4. What city does Gusti Weighardt write the Klemperers she is moving to?
5. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1937, what is the conclusion that Klemperer draws about Hitler and the resilience of the Nazis?
2. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
3. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
4. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
5. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
6. Klemperer spends time during 1939 considering the relationship between Jews and the historic German nation. What is his conclusion?
7. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
8. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
9. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
10. As 1940 progresses, which continent becomes entirely involved in World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain why the conquest of Poland in 1939 caused Klemperer to lose all hope of a rapid German defeat. Use the text to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the financial strain--along with the constant anxiety of being the target of state-sponsored discrimination--Klemperer was experiencing by 1936, what purpose might his diary entries about the minutiae of driving have served him? Support your explanation with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text as backup, list and explain some of the political reasons that could cause a person to be fired from his or her job by the Nazis, as well as what types of individuals found themselves being forcibly expelled from Germany, and why.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)