|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following countries is NOT one of those the Nazis first occupy in 1940?
2. What does nearly every Jew remaining in Germany, including the Klemperers, try to do in response to the rumors of ghettos?
3. Which major World War II battle begins in 1940?
4. In the middle of 1938, Jews are required to make their name 'Jewish' for easy identification. What does Victor begin calling himself in order to comply with this requirement?
5. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
Essay Topic 1
In his 1937 diary entries, Klemperer spends a great deal of time pondering whether the virulent anti-Semitism embodied in Hitler is abnormal or if it is inherent to the national German psyche. Analyze, explore, and demonstrate which of the two options is correct, using the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the financial strain--along with the constant anxiety of being the target of state-sponsored discrimination--Klemperer was experiencing by 1936, what purpose might his diary entries about the minutiae of driving have served him? Support your explanation with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain whether Eva's long illness--as well as Grete's mental breakdown--during 1940 could have been a result of the stress and anxiety of living under the control of the Nazis.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)