|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the yellow sign that the government puts on Klemperer's fence corners?
2. In addition to Jews and Catholics, what group of people comes under discrimination in 1938?
3. What does Klemperer do with the papers he does not send for safekeeping?
4. In his entries of 1938, what health problem does Victor fret about?
5. In 1937, on which book does Klemperer continue to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
2. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
3. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
4. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
5. As 1940 progresses, which continent becomes entirely involved in World War II?
6. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
7. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
8. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
9. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
10. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text as your backup, either prove or disprove Klemperer's 1939 statement that Nazi science long ago ceased to correspond to any reality.
Essay Topic 2
Could Victor Klemperer's incorrect analysis of 1934's political events, in particular his incorrect predictions concerning these events' consequences for Hitler, be an indication that Klemperer was in denial about what was happening to Germany, to Jews, and ultimately to himself? Compare and contrast Klemperer's analysis with the events' actual effect on the power of Hitler and the Nazis over Germany in order to support your opinion. Back up your arguments with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)