|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
2. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
3. What happens to Victor's sister, Grete, after she suffers a mental collapse and a heart attack?
4. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
5. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
2. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
3. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
4. In what month of 1940 does the Nazi party take control of the Klemperers' house and evict them?
5. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
6. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
7. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
8. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
9. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
10. Klemperer spends time during 1939 considering the relationship between Jews and the historic German nation. What is his conclusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text as your backup, either prove or disprove Klemperer's 1939 statement that Nazi science long ago ceased to correspond to any reality.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Why, in the face of mounting Nazi discrimination against the Jews, would Klemperer choose to enter into a large house loan instead of emigrating, as his friends and family were? Write a persuasive essay that analyzes and explains the possible reasons why he made this decision, supporting your arguments with examples/citations from the book.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)