|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
2. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
3. How large is the apartment the Klemperers secure in the Dresden ghetto?
4. In 1937, on which book does Klemperer continue to work?
5. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
Short Essay Questions
1. Klemperer spends time during 1939 considering the relationship between Jews and the historic German nation. What is his conclusion?
2. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
3. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
4. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
5. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
6. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
7. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
8. As 1940 progresses, which continent becomes entirely involved in World War II?
9. In 1938, the Klemperers make a surprise visit to Grete on her birthday. During this visit, what or who do Grete and Victor reminisce about?
10. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following two concepts:
a) Klemperer's 1938 conclusion that Hitler is a political genius and that the viable existence of German Jews is decidedly short-lived
b) Klemperer's previous years' conclusions about Hitler, the viability of the Nazi Party, and the existence of German Jews.
Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the financial strain--along with the constant anxiety of being the target of state-sponsored discrimination--Klemperer was experiencing by 1936, what purpose might his diary entries about the minutiae of driving have served him? Support your explanation with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)