|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
2. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
3. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
4. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
5. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
2. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
3. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
4. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
5. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
6. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
7. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
8. What brings Klemperer to believe that most Germans have always been, somewhat, anti-Semitic.
9. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
10. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain why the conquest of Poland in 1939 caused Klemperer to lose all hope of a rapid German defeat. Use the text to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text as backup, list and explain some of the political reasons that could cause a person to be fired from his or her job by the Nazis, as well as what types of individuals found themselves being forcibly expelled from Germany, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Considering the financial strain--along with the constant anxiety of being the target of state-sponsored discrimination--Klemperer was experiencing by 1936, what purpose might his diary entries about the minutiae of driving have served him? Support your explanation with examples from the text.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)