|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which local German official begins a program of harassment against the Jews that results in fines levied against the Klemperers for things such as weeds in their yard?
2. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
3. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
4. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
5. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
2. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
3. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
4. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
5. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
6. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
7. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
8. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
9. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
10. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain whether Eva's long illness--as well as Grete's mental breakdown--during 1940 could have been a result of the stress and anxiety of living under the control of the Nazis.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)