|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
2. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
3. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
4. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
5. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
2. Klemperer says that during 1940 the black market flourishes and that war profiteering is commonplace. What does this mean in terms of day-to-day personal and business transactions?
3. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
4. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
5. What brings Klemperer to believe that most Germans have always been, somewhat, anti-Semitic.
6. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
7. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
8. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
9. Klemperer spends time during 1939 considering the relationship between Jews and the historic German nation. What is his conclusion?
10. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the time of his release from prison drew near, Klemperer became very fearful, wondering whether he would be released as promised. Analyze and explain whether or not his fears were valid, as well as what might have happened to him if the police had decided not to release him. Support your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
On page 130 of I Will Bear Witness, Klemperer quotes his dentist as saying that the Nazis "have broken their word to everyone, except to the Jews." Explain why this statement is either correct or incorrect, using the text as proof.
Essay Topic 3
Why, in the face of mounting Nazi discrimination against the Jews, would Klemperer choose to enter into a large house loan instead of emigrating, as his friends and family were? Write a persuasive essay that analyzes and explains the possible reasons why he made this decision, supporting your arguments with examples/citations from the book.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)