|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some bombings are particularly devastating to Berlin and:
2. Which group does Klemperer say is the object of virulent Nazi messages in 1937?
3. In 1937, on which book does Klemperer continue to work?
4. In the middle of 1938, Jews are required to make their name 'Jewish' for easy identification. What does Victor begin calling himself in order to comply with this requirement?
5. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
2. In 1937, what is the conclusion that Klemperer draws about Hitler and the resilience of the Nazis?
3. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
4. Klemperer says that during 1940 the black market flourishes and that war profiteering is commonplace. What does this mean in terms of day-to-day personal and business transactions?
5. In 1938, the Klemperers make a surprise visit to Grete on her birthday. During this visit, what or who do Grete and Victor reminisce about?
6. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
7. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
8. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
9. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
10. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain whether Eva's long illness--as well as Grete's mental breakdown--during 1940 could have been a result of the stress and anxiety of living under the control of the Nazis.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the financial strain--along with the constant anxiety of being the target of state-sponsored discrimination--Klemperer was experiencing by 1936, what purpose might his diary entries about the minutiae of driving have served him? Support your explanation with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)