|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
2. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
3. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
4. Which of Victor's relatives dies in October 1937?
5. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
2. As 1940 progresses, which continent becomes entirely involved in World War II?
3. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
4. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
5. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
6. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
7. In 1937, what is the conclusion that Klemperer draws about Hitler and the resilience of the Nazis?
8. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
9. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
10. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text as backup, list and explain some of the political reasons that could cause a person to be fired from his or her job by the Nazis, as well as what types of individuals found themselves being forcibly expelled from Germany, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, analyze and explain why the poor economic climate in the early 1930s helped facilitate the Nazi Party's rise to power in Germany.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)