|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
2. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
3. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
4. What does Klemperer call the building in which their apartment is located?
5. In 1937, on which book does Klemperer continue to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
2. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
3. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
4. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
5. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
6. In 1937, what is the conclusion that Klemperer draws about Hitler and the resilience of the Nazis?
7. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
8. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
9. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
10. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain whether Eva's long illness--as well as Grete's mental breakdown--during 1940 could have been a result of the stress and anxiety of living under the control of the Nazis.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text as backup, list and explain some of the political reasons that could cause a person to be fired from his or her job by the Nazis, as well as what types of individuals found themselves being forcibly expelled from Germany, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text as your backup, either prove or disprove Klemperer's 1939 statement that Nazi science long ago ceased to correspond to any reality.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)