|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Victor's sister, Grete, after she suffers a mental collapse and a heart attack?
2. Who accompanies the Klemperers to Berlin?
3. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
4. While in Berlin, Klemperer learns that anti-government elements frequently copy thousands of subversive or censored handbills _______________ and distribute them secretly.
5. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
2. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
3. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
4. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
5. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
6. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
7. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
8. What brings Klemperer to believe that most Germans have always been, somewhat, anti-Semitic.
9. Klemperer spends time during 1939 considering the relationship between Jews and the historic German nation. What is his conclusion?
10. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the time of his release from prison drew near, Klemperer became very fearful, wondering whether he would be released as promised. Analyze and explain whether or not his fears were valid, as well as what might have happened to him if the police had decided not to release him. Support your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following two concepts:
a) Klemperer's 1938 conclusion that Hitler is a political genius and that the viable existence of German Jews is decidedly short-lived
b) Klemperer's previous years' conclusions about Hitler, the viability of the Nazi Party, and the existence of German Jews.
Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Klemperer's belief that an amphibious landing in England is impossible with the successful amphibious landings on D-Day. Use the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)