|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
2. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
3. By 1940, war _________ commonplace.
4. What does Klemperer do with the papers he does not send for safekeeping?
5. While in Berlin, Klemperer learns that anti-government elements frequently copy thousands of subversive or censored handbills _______________ and distribute them secretly.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 130 of I Will Bear Witness, Klemperer quotes his dentist as saying that the Nazis "have broken their word to everyone, except to the Jews." Explain why this statement is either correct or incorrect, using the text as proof.
Essay Topic 2
Did the Aryans who chose to keep silent during the early days of Hitler's rise to power, rather than voice their opposition to Hitler and his views, enable and/or tacitly support him by their silence? Analyze and demonstrate why or why not, supporting your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
As the time of his release from prison drew near, Klemperer became very fearful, wondering whether he would be released as promised. Analyze and explain whether or not his fears were valid, as well as what might have happened to him if the police had decided not to release him. Support your arguments with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)