|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
2. How do the Klemperers mitigate maintenance costs?
3. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
4. The Nazis call the invasion of which country off?
5. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
2. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
3. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
4. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
5. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
6. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
7. In what month of 1940 does the Nazi party take control of the Klemperers' house and evict them?
8. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
9. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
10. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Klemperer's belief that an amphibious landing in England is impossible with the successful amphibious landings on D-Day. Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text as backup, list and explain some of the political reasons that could cause a person to be fired from his or her job by the Nazis, as well as what types of individuals found themselves being forcibly expelled from Germany, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain why the conquest of Poland in 1939 caused Klemperer to lose all hope of a rapid German defeat. Use the text to back up your statements.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)