|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What race was Helene Meyer, who won the silver medal in fencing for Germany?
2. Which war begins in August 1936?
3. Toward the end of 1935, ______________ of food and various other materials become common.
4. Who was killed during the Night of the Long Knives?
5. The government uses various ________ methods to harass Jews and other so-called undesirables.
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
2. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
3. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
4. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
5. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
6. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
7. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
8. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
9. Klemperer is amazed that many Jews accept the Nazis. What does he say that Jews' overall belief is regarding what life will be like once the Nazis' anti-Semitic program is fully established?
10. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In a July 1936 diary entry, Klemperer wonders, "What was I, what am I?" (p. 175). Supporting your arguments from the text, analyze Klemperer's statement and then answer it for him.
Essay Topic 3
Did the Aryans who chose to keep silent during the early days of Hitler's rise to power, rather than voice their opposition to Hitler and his views, enable and/or tacitly support him by their silence? Analyze and demonstrate why or why not, supporting your arguments with examples from the text.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)