|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klemperer teach at the university where he works?
2. What happens to the books that the university library has to surrender to the authorities when said books are deemed to have failed censorship or not be fit for the average person?
3. As the Nazification of Germany continues in 1935, what is altered to the ancient German names?
4. With which political ideology is the Klemperers' friend, Gusti Wieghardt, enamored?
5. How much of the retirement pay that they had worked for do Catholics, Communists, and Jews who lose their jobs get?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
2. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
3. In 1933, Klemperer notes that many Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are wealthy or who have internationally marketable skills emigrate. What is life like for members of these groups who remain in Germany?
4. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
5. Why does Klemperer learn to type in 1935?
6. Upon what--and for what reason--is the lawsuit between Klemperer and his publisher based?
7. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
8. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
9. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
10. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain why the conquest of Poland in 1939 caused Klemperer to lose all hope of a rapid German defeat. Use the text to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text, analyze and explain whether or not the "long view" of events Klemperer presents in his 1941 diary entries shows that he has become resigned to his, and Germany's, situation under Nazism.
Essay Topic 3
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)