|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Victor contract during 1935?
2. As of 1936, for how long has Klemperer been unemployed?
3. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
4. To which location does Georg Klemperer first emigrate after the Nazis strip Jews of their citizenship and rights?
5. Klemperer mistakenly believes the Night of the Long Knives demonstrates what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
2. Toward the end of 1941, Jews begin being deported, en masse, to Poland. What do Klemperer and other Jews believe the deportees' destination is?
3. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
4. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
5. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
6. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
7. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
8. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
9. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
10. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following two concepts:
a) Klemperer's 1938 conclusion that Hitler is a political genius and that the viable existence of German Jews is decidedly short-lived
b) Klemperer's previous years' conclusions about Hitler, the viability of the Nazi Party, and the existence of German Jews.
Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text as backup, list and explain some of the political reasons that could cause a person to be fired from his or her job by the Nazis, as well as what types of individuals found themselves being forcibly expelled from Germany, and why.
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)