|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
2. In what month does Klemperer receive his driving permit?
3. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
4. How much of the retirement pay that they had worked for do Catholics, Communists, and Jews who lose their jobs get?
5. What type of medical treatments does Eva undergo?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
2. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
3. In pondering the nature of fate, to what does Klemperer compare life?
4. Why do the Klemperers appear to be hypochondriacs?
5. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
6. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
7. When Klemperer is let go from his job, his pension is cut and he complains about the reduced pay. What will he eventually think of his pensioned status, and why?
8. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
9. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
10. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any three of the discriminatory actions legalized by the passage of the Nuremberg Laws of Citizenship and Race and write an essay that analyzes and explains the effect each of the actions that you chose. Explain the effects upon the Jews as well as on non-Jews and the Nazi Party. Use the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain why the conquest of Poland in 1939 caused Klemperer to lose all hope of a rapid German defeat. Use the text to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)