|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
2. With whom is Klemperer involved in a lawsuit during 1933 and 1934?
3. What was the name of the 1935 law that deprived German Jews of their citizenship and rights?
4. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
5. Toward the end of 1935, ______________ of food and various other materials become common.
Short Essay Questions
1. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
2. Why did the Klemperers purchase an empty lot in the Dresden suburb of Dölzschen with the intent of building a house?
3. When Klemperer is let go from his job, his pension is cut and he complains about the reduced pay. What will he eventually think of his pensioned status, and why?
4. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
5. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
6. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
7. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
8. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
9. In 1933, what kind of news fills the mainstream papers in Germany?
10. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Klemperer discounts his skills in several diary entries throughout I Will Bear Witness, believing them to be neither marketable nor viable outside the German education system. Using examples from the book, analyze and demonstrate whether or not Klemperer's self-assessment of his abilities was accurate.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text as your backup, either prove or disprove Klemperer's 1939 statement that Nazi science long ago ceased to correspond to any reality.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text, analyze and explain whether or not the "long view" of events Klemperer presents in his 1941 diary entries shows that he has become resigned to his, and Germany's, situation under Nazism.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)