|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Nazi party come to power in January 1933?
2. The politicized and specialized language of ________________ continues to seep into common, everyday usage.
3. For what reason was Klemperer discharged from the army?
4. How does Victor Klemperer respond to his brother's advice after considering it?
5. What does Klemperer report about his wife, Eva's, health?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
2. In 1933, Klemperer notes that many Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are wealthy or who have internationally marketable skills emigrate. What is life like for members of these groups who remain in Germany?
3. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
4. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
5. Upon what--and for what reason--is the lawsuit between Klemperer and his publisher based?
6. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
7. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
8. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
9. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
10. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Klemperer discounts his skills in several diary entries throughout I Will Bear Witness, believing them to be neither marketable nor viable outside the German education system. Using examples from the book, analyze and demonstrate whether or not Klemperer's self-assessment of his abilities was accurate.
Essay Topic 2
Did the Aryans who chose to keep silent during the early days of Hitler's rise to power, rather than voice their opposition to Hitler and his views, enable and/or tacitly support him by their silence? Analyze and demonstrate why or why not, supporting your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text, analyze and explain whether or not the "long view" of events Klemperer presents in his 1941 diary entries shows that he has become resigned to his, and Germany's, situation under Nazism.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)