|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1935, which religious group begins experiencing persecution, including lengthy prison terms?
2. To what organization, if any, did the people killed during the Night of the Long Knives belong?
3. In which war does Italy become involved toward the end of 1935?
4. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
5. Klemperer finds the costs of maintaining the car to be extremely ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
2. In 1933, what kind of news fills the mainstream papers in Germany?
3. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
4. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
5. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
6. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
7. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
8. Why did the Klemperers purchase an empty lot in the Dresden suburb of Dölzschen with the intent of building a house?
9. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
10. Klemperer is amazed that many Jews accept the Nazis. What does he say that Jews' overall belief is regarding what life will be like once the Nazis' anti-Semitic program is fully established?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why, in the face of mounting Nazi discrimination against the Jews, would Klemperer choose to enter into a large house loan instead of emigrating, as his friends and family were? Write a persuasive essay that analyzes and explains the possible reasons why he made this decision, supporting your arguments with examples/citations from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)