|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what organization, if any, did the people killed during the Night of the Long Knives belong?
2. What is the truth about the voluntary Nazi political-fund drives?
3. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
4. When school resumes in November, what happens to Klemperer's career?
5. Who writes the propagandistic articles carried by most media outlets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishment does Klemperer receive for violating the blackout, and when does it become effective?
2. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
3. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
4. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
5. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
6. In 1938, the Klemperers make a surprise visit to Grete on her birthday. During this visit, what or who do Grete and Victor reminisce about?
7. In what month of 1940 does the Nazi party take control of the Klemperers' house and evict them?
8. In March 1941, Victor learns that two of his relatives have serious medical conditions. Which of his relatives are they, and what illnesses have befallen them?
9. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
10. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text as your backup, either prove or disprove Klemperer's 1939 statement that Nazi science long ago ceased to correspond to any reality.
Essay Topic 2
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
In a July 1936 diary entry, Klemperer wonders, "What was I, what am I?" (p. 175). Supporting your arguments from the text, analyze Klemperer's statement and then answer it for him.
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)