|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did groups against whom the Nazis discriminated, if they had wealth or internationally desirable skills, do?
2. To what organization, if any, did the people killed during the Night of the Long Knives belong?
3. What was the response to the Nazi party's rise to power, coupled with the poor economic climate of the times?
4. Klemperer's wife, Eva, is _____________.
5. Eva and Victor are between what ages, respectively, during 1933?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Klemperers purchase an empty lot in the Dresden suburb of Dölzschen with the intent of building a house?
2. In a July diary entry, what does Klemperer wonder about himself?
3. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
4. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
5. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
6. In pondering the nature of fate, to what does Klemperer compare life?
7. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
8. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
9. Klemperer is amazed that many Jews accept the Nazis. What does he say that Jews' overall belief is regarding what life will be like once the Nazis' anti-Semitic program is fully established?
10. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 130 of I Will Bear Witness, Klemperer quotes his dentist as saying that the Nazis "have broken their word to everyone, except to the Jews." Explain why this statement is either correct or incorrect, using the text as proof.
Essay Topic 2
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Could Victor Klemperer's incorrect analysis of 1934's political events, in particular his incorrect predictions concerning these events' consequences for Hitler, be an indication that Klemperer was in denial about what was happening to Germany, to Jews, and ultimately to himself? Compare and contrast Klemperer's analysis with the events' actual effect on the power of Hitler and the Nazis over Germany in order to support your opinion. Back up your arguments with citations from the text.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)