|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The government uses various ________ methods to harass Jews and other so-called undesirables.
2. What was the response to the Nazi party's rise to power, coupled with the poor economic climate of the times?
3. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
4. As the Nazification of Germany continues in 1935, what is altered to the ancient German names?
5. Why does Klemperer receive a reduced-rate retirement payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1933, Klemperer notes that many Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are wealthy or who have internationally marketable skills emigrate. What is life like for members of these groups who remain in Germany?
2. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
3. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
4. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
5. Why do the Klemperers appear to be hypochondriacs?
6. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
7. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
8. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
9. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
10. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a July 1936 diary entry, Klemperer wonders, "What was I, what am I?" (p. 175). Supporting your arguments from the text, analyze Klemperer's statement and then answer it for him.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Klemperer's belief that an amphibious landing in England is impossible with the successful amphibious landings on D-Day. Use the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)