|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Klemperer receive a reduced-rate retirement payment?
2. How does Victor Klemperer respond to his brother's advice after considering it?
3. What makes Klemperer break off all contact with the Wieghardts?
4. With which political ideology is the Klemperers' friend, Gusti Wieghardt, enamored?
5. At what point during classes are professors expected to give the Nazi salute?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
2. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
3. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
4. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
5. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
6. What brings Klemperer to believe that most Germans have always been, somewhat, anti-Semitic.
7. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
8. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
9. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
10. In what month of 1940 does the Nazi party take control of the Klemperers' house and evict them?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Eva's reported physical activity level with Klemperer's portrayal of her as a near-invalid, and then analyze what might have been the reasons for this discrepancy. Back up your arguments with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
On page 130 of I Will Bear Witness, Klemperer quotes his dentist as saying that the Nazis "have broken their word to everyone, except to the Jews." Explain why this statement is either correct or incorrect, using the text as proof.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text as backup, list and explain some of the political reasons that could cause a person to be fired from his or her job by the Nazis, as well as what types of individuals found themselves being forcibly expelled from Germany, and why.
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)