|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
2. ___________ worries consume Klemperer in nearly every diary entry of 1936.
3. Klemperer often deplores ____________ who knowingly support the Hitler government.
4. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
5. When Klemperer's youngest sister, Wally Sussman, dies, in what city is the funeral held?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
2. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
3. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
4. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
5. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
6. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
7. In 1937, what is the conclusion that Klemperer draws about Hitler and the resilience of the Nazis?
8. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
9. Klemperer spends time during 1939 considering the relationship between Jews and the historic German nation. What is his conclusion?
10. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
Essay Topic 1
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
On page 130 of I Will Bear Witness, Klemperer quotes his dentist as saying that the Nazis "have broken their word to everyone, except to the Jews." Explain why this statement is either correct or incorrect, using the text as proof.
Essay Topic 3
Klemperer discounts his skills in several diary entries throughout I Will Bear Witness, believing them to be neither marketable nor viable outside the German education system. Using examples from the book, analyze and demonstrate whether or not Klemperer's self-assessment of his abilities was accurate.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)