|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion does Klemperer say most of his Aryan friends and associates have of the Nazis?
2. As anti-Jew laws become stricter, what is an example of the type of public facilities from which Jews are excluded in 1936?
3. For what reason was Klemperer discharged from the army?
4. What was the name of the 1935 law that deprived German Jews of their citizenship and rights?
5. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
2. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
3. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
4. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
5. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
6. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
7. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
8. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
9. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
10. Upon what--and for what reason--is the lawsuit between Klemperer and his publisher based?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could Victor Klemperer's incorrect analysis of 1934's political events, in particular his incorrect predictions concerning these events' consequences for Hitler, be an indication that Klemperer was in denial about what was happening to Germany, to Jews, and ultimately to himself? Compare and contrast Klemperer's analysis with the events' actual effect on the power of Hitler and the Nazis over Germany in order to support your opinion. Back up your arguments with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text as your backup, either prove or disprove Klemperer's 1939 statement that Nazi science long ago ceased to correspond to any reality.
Essay Topic 3
Why, in the face of mounting Nazi discrimination against the Jews, would Klemperer choose to enter into a large house loan instead of emigrating, as his friends and family were? Write a persuasive essay that analyzes and explains the possible reasons why he made this decision, supporting your arguments with examples/citations from the book.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)