|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the books that the university library has to surrender to the authorities when said books are deemed to have failed censorship or not be fit for the average person?
2. What was the name of the 1935 law that deprived German Jews of their citizenship and rights?
3. The mass _____________ of Jews has had the effect of separating friends and relatives.
4. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
5. In 1935, how are Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are still employed removed from their jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
2. Why do the Klemperers appear to be hypochondriacs?
3. In 1933, Klemperer notes that many Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are wealthy or who have internationally marketable skills emigrate. What is life like for members of these groups who remain in Germany?
4. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
5. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
6. When Klemperer is let go from his job, his pension is cut and he complains about the reduced pay. What will he eventually think of his pensioned status, and why?
7. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
8. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
9. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
10. In pondering the nature of fate, to what does Klemperer compare life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain why the conquest of Poland in 1939 caused Klemperer to lose all hope of a rapid German defeat. Use the text to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Klemperer discounts his skills in several diary entries throughout I Will Bear Witness, believing them to be neither marketable nor viable outside the German education system. Using examples from the book, analyze and demonstrate whether or not Klemperer's self-assessment of his abilities was accurate.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Klemperer's belief that an amphibious landing in England is impossible with the successful amphibious landings on D-Day. Use the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)