|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
2. What type of medical treatments does Eva undergo?
3. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
4. The government uses various ________ methods to harass Jews and other so-called undesirables.
5. For what reason was Klemperer discharged from the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
2. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
3. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
4. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
5. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
6. In 1933, what kind of news fills the mainstream papers in Germany?
7. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
8. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
9. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
10. Why does Klemperer learn to type in 1935?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could Victor Klemperer's incorrect analysis of 1934's political events, in particular his incorrect predictions concerning these events' consequences for Hitler, be an indication that Klemperer was in denial about what was happening to Germany, to Jews, and ultimately to himself? Compare and contrast Klemperer's analysis with the events' actual effect on the power of Hitler and the Nazis over Germany in order to support your opinion. Back up your arguments with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In 1936, Klemperer expresses the opinion that the outcome of the Spanish Civil War will signal the future of the Nazi government. Was he correct? Compare and contrast the outcome of the Spanish Civil War to the fate of the Nazi government, and use the text as backup for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
As the time of his release from prison drew near, Klemperer became very fearful, wondering whether he would be released as promised. Analyze and explain whether or not his fears were valid, as well as what might have happened to him if the police had decided not to release him. Support your arguments with examples from the text.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)