|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
2. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
(a) The natural gas explosion in New London, Texas.
(b) The Black Famine.
(c) The sinking of the Bismarck.
(d) The crashing of the Hindenburg.
3. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
4. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
(b) The historic German nation.
(c) Other European nations.
(d) The Vatican.
5. Which of Victor's relatives dies in October 1937?
(a) Eva, his wife.
(b) Grete, his sister.
(c) Georg, his brother.
(d) Maria, his sister-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes food and commercial items increasingly difficult to obtain as 1939 progresses?
2. In what month of 1939 are the Klemperers notified that, beginning April 1940, their house will be rented to an Aryan?
3. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
4. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
5. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
2. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
3. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
4. In 1937, what is the conclusion that Klemperer draws about Hitler and the resilience of the Nazis?
5. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
6. What brings Klemperer to believe that most Germans have always been, somewhat, anti-Semitic.
7. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
8. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
9. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
10. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)