|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
2. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(a) The Catastrophe.
(c) The Shoah.
(d) The Night of the Long Knives.
3. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
(a) Giving up coffee.
(b) Stopping smoking.
(c) Stopping drinking.
(d) Cancelling his newspaper subscription.
4. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
5. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
(a) Victor's musket, which he carried in World War I.
(b) Victor's automobile.
(c) Victor's saber, which he carried in World War I.
(d) Eva's jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
2. What is the purpose of the yellow sign that the government puts on Klemperer's fence corners?
3. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
4. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
5. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
2. In 1938, the Klemperers make a surprise visit to Grete on her birthday. During this visit, what or who do Grete and Victor reminisce about?
3. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
4. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
5. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
6. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
7. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
8. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
9. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
10. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)