|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
(a) Prusso-Italian Coalition.
(d) Italo-Prussian Alliance.
2. What does Klemperer call the building in which their apartment is located?
(a) The Jews' House.
(b) The Hitler House.
(c) The Ghetto.
(d) The Dresden Dump.
3. In 1938, _____________ is partitioned and Germany claims a huge part of the country.
4. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
5. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
Short Answer Questions
1. During 1940, so-called mixed-race Jews, who were previously allowed in the military, are:
2. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
3. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
4. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
5. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
Short Essay Questions
1. As 1940 progresses, which continent becomes entirely involved in World War II?
2. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
3. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
4. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
5. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
6. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
7. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
8. Klemperer says that during 1940 the black market flourishes and that war profiteering is commonplace. What does this mean in terms of day-to-day personal and business transactions?
9. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
10. What brings Klemperer to believe that most Germans have always been, somewhat, anti-Semitic.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)