|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1940, war _________ commonplace.
(a) Profiteering is.
(b) Talk is.
(c) Related viruses are.
(d) Crimes are.
2. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
3. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(a) The Night of the Long Knives.
(c) The Catastrophe.
(d) The Shoah.
4. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
(a) Stopping drinking.
(b) Giving up coffee.
(c) Cancelling his newspaper subscription.
(d) Stopping smoking.
5. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
(c) General Motors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which local German official begins a program of harassment against the Jews that results in fines levied against the Klemperers for things such as weeds in their yard?
2. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
3. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
4. Although all of the Klemperers are suffering from ill health and depression in 1940, what specifically happens to Grete?
5. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
2. For what kinds of property issues do the Klemperers find themselves harassed by the city during 1937?
3. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
4. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
5. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
6. Whom does Klemperer begin to feel are just like Hitler in their hatred of Jews?
7. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
8. Klemperer says that during 1940 the black market flourishes and that war profiteering is commonplace. What does this mean in terms of day-to-day personal and business transactions?
9. Some of Klemperer's diary entries after his move to the ghetto note appreciation for the smallest things in life. What are some examples of small things for which Klemperer expresses his appreciation?
10. In what month of 1940 does the Nazi party take control of the Klemperers' house and evict them?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)