|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jewish bank accounts are _____________ and ready cash is seized.
(a) Divided among heirs.
(b) Signed over to the Palestinian government.
(c) Listed in the official party newspaper.
2. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
3. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
(a) The natural gas explosion in New London, Texas.
(b) The crashing of the Hindenburg.
(c) The Black Famine.
(d) The sinking of the Bismarck.
4. What is the purpose of the yellow sign that the government puts on Klemperer's fence corners?
(a) It announces that the property is under construction.
(b) It announces that the property is for sale.
(c) It announces that the property belongs to a Jew.
(d) It announces that the property belongs to a mixed-race couple.
5. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
(a) Cancelling his newspaper subscription.
(b) Stopping smoking.
(c) Giving up coffee.
(d) Stopping drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
2. In addition to Jews and Catholics, what group of people comes under discrimination in 1938?
3. How large is the apartment the Klemperers secure in the Dresden ghetto?
4. What city does Gusti Weighardt write the Klemperers she is moving to?
5. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what month of 1940 does the Nazi party take control of the Klemperers' house and evict them?
2. In 1937, what is the conclusion that Klemperer draws about Hitler and the resilience of the Nazis?
3. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
4. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
5. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
6. What brings Klemperer to believe that most Germans have always been, somewhat, anti-Semitic.
7. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
8. In 1939, what does Klemperer say the purpose of his diary is?
9. In 1937, Klemperer, as always, worried about money. Despite his worry, what does he realize?
10. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)