|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
(c) The Sudetenland.
2. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
(a) He wants to emigrate.
(b) He does not feel particularly German anymore.
(c) He has realized that Nazism is not going away anytime soon.
(d) He does not feel particularly Jewish anymore.
3. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
(b) Any other race.
(d) All other Europeans.
4. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
5. In which city does Klemperer note that Jews are rumored to have been forcibly relocated to ghettos?
Short Answer Questions
1. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
2. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
3. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
4. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
5. In 1938, _____________ is partitioned and Germany claims a huge part of the country.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what part of 1940 does the expansion in scope of the war become particularly marked?
2. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
3. As Klemperer fights a daily battle with fear, what is one of the frequent thoughts that he says run through his head?
4. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
5. What November 1938 event forced even those Jews who were most resolutely in denial (among them Klemperer) to finally come to terms with the genocidal hatred of Hitler?
6. Klemperer says that during 1940 the black market flourishes and that war profiteering is commonplace. What does this mean in terms of day-to-day personal and business transactions?
7. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
8. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
9. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
10. In 1938, the Klemperers make a surprise visit to Grete on her birthday. During this visit, what or who do Grete and Victor reminisce about?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)