|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point during classes are professors expected to give the Nazi salute?
(a) In the middle.
(b) At the beginning.
(c) At the end.
(d) While giving out homework.
2. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
3. How does Victor Klemperer respond to his brother's advice after considering it?
(a) He decides to emigrate if the Nazis are still in control in 1936.
(b) He can't make up his mind; he is paralyzed by fear.
(c) He declines to emigrate.
(d) He emigrates immediately.
4. When was Victor born?
(a) October 9, 1881.
(b) July 13, 1881.
(c) October 9, 1882.
(d) July 13, 1882.
5. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
(a) A 1932 Ford.
(b) A 1934 Volvo.
(c) A 1932 Opel.
(d) A 1936 Volkswagen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
2. In July 1934, in whose favor is Klemperer's lawsuit settled?
3. How does Klemperer come up with the money to pay for the initial rounds of construction on his house?
4. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
5. The mass _____________ of Jews has had the effect of separating friends and relatives.
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
2. Why did the Klemperers purchase an empty lot in the Dresden suburb of Dölzschen with the intent of building a house?
3. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
4. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
5. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
6. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
7. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
8. When Klemperer is let go from his job, his pension is cut and he complains about the reduced pay. What will he eventually think of his pensioned status, and why?
9. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
10. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)