|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Röhm Revolt.
(b) The Shoah.
(c) The Kristallnacht.
(d) The Anschluss.
2. From what does Klemperer's youngest sister, Wally Sussman, die?
(a) A stroke.
(b) Old age.
(d) A heart attack.
3. In what German city is the Klemperers' apartment located?
4. What health condition(s) do both Klemperers appear to have?
(b) Anxiety and diabetes.
(d) Depression and hypochondria.
5. What opinion does Klemperer say most of his Aryan friends and associates have of the Nazis?
(a) They are against them.
(b) They support them.
(c) They are neutral.
(d) They are undecided.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
2. Klemperer often deplores ____________ who knowingly support the Hitler government.
3. Along with his strongest recommendations to flee Germany, what does Georg give Victor and Eva Klemperer?
4. When Paul von Hindenburg dies in August 1934, which office does Hitler assume in addition to that of Chancellor?
5. What 1936 event prompts the brief removal of all anti-Semitic references in German media?
Short Essay Questions
1. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
2. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
3. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
4. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
5. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
6. When Klemperer is let go from his job, his pension is cut and he complains about the reduced pay. What will he eventually think of his pensioned status, and why?
7. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
8. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
9. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
10. In a July diary entry, what does Klemperer wonder about himself?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)