|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Klemperer finds the costs of maintaining the car to be extremely ______________.
2. What happens to Klemperer's position after he leaves it?
(a) It is not filled.
(b) It remains open but is not filled.
(c) It is filled by another Jew.
(d) It is filled by a non-Jew.
3. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
(a) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes politically dangerous.
(b) Writing letters becomes forbidden.
(c) Making telephone calls becomes too expensive.
(d) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes forbidden.
4. What is the topic of Klemperer's book, The Eighteenth Century?
(a) it is a review of eighteenth-century German history.
(b) It is a review of eighteenth-century literature.
(c) It is a review of eighteenth-century politics.
(d) It is a review of eighteenth-century art.
5. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
(a) On the front lines.
(b) Behind a desk.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) In a tank.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what German city is the Klemperers' apartment located?
2. Which war begins in August 1936?
3. The mass _____________ of Jews has had the effect of separating friends and relatives.
4. What makes Klemperer break off all contact with the Wieghardts?
5. Eva and Victor are between what ages, respectively, during 1933?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
2. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
3. When Klemperer is let go from his job, his pension is cut and he complains about the reduced pay. What will he eventually think of his pensioned status, and why?
4. In a July diary entry, what does Klemperer wonder about himself?
5. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
6. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
7. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
8. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
9. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
10. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)