|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the 1935 law that deprived German Jews of their citizenship and rights?
(a) The Reich Laws of Citizenship and Race.
(b) The Nuremberg Laws of Citizenship and Race.
(c) The Reich Citizenship Law.
(d) The Law for the Protection of German Blood and German Honor.
2. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
(a) A fence is built.
(b) A cellar is excavated.
(c) A fence is built and a cellar is excavated.
(d) A vineyard is planted.
3. What piece of office equipment does Victor learn to use in 1935?
(a) A transcription machine.
(b) A typewriter.
(c) A mimeograph machine.
(d) A telegraph.
4. In which war does Italy become involved toward the end of 1935?
(a) The Abyssinian War.
(b) The Balkan War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Armenian War.
5. ___________ worries consume Klemperer in nearly every diary entry of 1936.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Victor contract during 1935?
2. What does Klemperer begin to question as 1933 progresses?
3. What type of medical treatments does Eva undergo?
4. What about many Jews' attitude towards the Nazis amazes Klemperer?
5. Along with his strongest recommendations to flee Germany, what does Georg give Victor and Eva Klemperer?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
2. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
3. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
4. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
5. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
6. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
7. Why did the Klemperers purchase an empty lot in the Dresden suburb of Dölzschen with the intent of building a house?
8. When Klemperer is let go from his job, his pension is cut and he complains about the reduced pay. What will he eventually think of his pensioned status, and why?
9. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
10. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)