|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Paul von Hindenburg dies in August 1934, which office does Hitler assume in addition to that of Chancellor?
2. Klemperer often deplores ____________ who knowingly support the Hitler government.
(a) Farm coalitions.
3. Which of the following countries is NOT one of the destinations favored by Jews emigrating from Germany in 1934?
(a) The United States.
(c) The Soviet Union.
4. When school resumes in November, what happens to Klemperer's career?
(a) He returns to the lecture circuit.
(b) He retires.
(c) He receives a termination notice.
(d) He receives a promotion.
5. What type of marriages are prohibited?
(b) Anything other than civil marriages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klemperer's book LTI deal with?
2. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
3. What health condition(s) do both Klemperers appear to have?
4. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
5. What did groups against whom the Nazis discriminated, if they had wealth or internationally desirable skills, do?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
2. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
3. In 1933, Klemperer notes that many Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are wealthy or who have internationally marketable skills emigrate. What is life like for members of these groups who remain in Germany?
4. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
5. Why do the Klemperers appear to be hypochondriacs?
6. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
7. To what does Klemperer compare the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich?
8. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
9. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
10. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)