|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what German city is the Klemperers' apartment located?
2. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
(b) The Transvaal region.
(d) The Saar region.
3. Why is Klemperer's manuscript of The Eighteenth Century rejected?
(a) Because it is poorly written.
(b) Lack of market interest.
(c) Because he is a Christian.
(d) Because he is a Jew.
4. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
(a) Work camps.
(b) Indoctrination classes.
(c) Church attendance.
(d) Military service.
5. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
(a) The Allies.
(c) The German national character.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
2. The mass _____________ of Jews has had the effect of separating friends and relatives.
3. What type of marriages are prohibited?
4. In 1935, which religious group begins experiencing persecution, including lengthy prison terms?
5. On what level do boycotts of Jewish-supplied goods and services occur during 1933?
Short Essay Questions
1. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
2. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
3. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
4. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
5. Klemperer is amazed that many Jews accept the Nazis. What does he say that Jews' overall belief is regarding what life will be like once the Nazis' anti-Semitic program is fully established?
6. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
7. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
8. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
9. In 1933, what kind of news fills the mainstream papers in Germany?
10. In a July diary entry, what does Klemperer wonder about himself?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)