|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the 1935 law that deprived German Jews of their citizenship and rights?
(a) The Reich Citizenship Law.
(b) The Nuremberg Laws of Citizenship and Race.
(c) The Reich Laws of Citizenship and Race.
(d) The Law for the Protection of German Blood and German Honor.
2. Who writes the propagandistic articles carried by most media outlets?
(b) The reporters who work for the media outlets.
(c) Nazi party officials.
(d) Members of the former German government.
3. What piece of office equipment does Victor learn to use in 1935?
(a) A transcription machine.
(b) A telegraph.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A mimeograph machine.
4. In what month of 1934 do the Klemperers move into their home in Dölzschen?
5. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
(a) Propagandistic slogans used as postmarks.
(b) <I>Mein Kampf</I> replacing Bibles in churches and synagogues.
(c) Propagandistic slogans used as fortunes in fortune cookies.
(d) The production of coloring books that indoctrinate children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
2. Toward the end of 1935, ______________ of food and various other materials become common.
3. The politicized and specialized language of ________________ continues to seep into common, everyday usage.
4. With whom is Klemperer involved in a lawsuit during 1933 and 1934?
5. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
2. In 1938, the Klemperers make a surprise visit to Grete on her birthday. During this visit, what or who do Grete and Victor reminisce about?
3. The beginning of 1941 is marked by what two phenomena regarding food?
4. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
5. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
6. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
7. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
8. Klemperer is amazed that many Jews accept the Nazis. What does he say that Jews' overall belief is regarding what life will be like once the Nazis' anti-Semitic program is fully established?
9. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
10. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)