|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
(a) He is holding tighter to it than ever.
(b) He has entirely abandoned it.
(c) He is seriously doubting it.
(d) He has nearly abandoned it.
2. What did groups against whom the Nazis discriminated, if they had wealth or internationally desirable skills, do?
(a) Bribe the government to keep their positions.
(c) Change their identities.
(d) Seek high interest home loans.
3. When Paul von Hindenburg dies in August 1934, which office does Hitler assume in addition to that of Chancellor?
4. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
(a) Military service.
(b) Church attendance.
(c) Indoctrination classes.
(d) Work camps.
5. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the truth about the voluntary Nazi political-fund drives?
2. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
3. In which town have the Klemperers purchased an empty lot?
4. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
5. What piece of office equipment does Victor learn to use in 1935?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
2. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
3. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
4. Why do the Klemperers appear to be hypochondriacs?
5. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
6. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
7. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
8. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
9. Klemperer is amazed that many Jews accept the Nazis. What does he say that Jews' overall belief is regarding what life will be like once the Nazis' anti-Semitic program is fully established?
10. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)