|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
(a) Military service.
(b) Indoctrination classes.
(c) Church attendance.
(d) Work camps.
2. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
(a) Mein Kampf replacing Bibles in churches and synagogues.
(b) Propagandistic slogans used as postmarks.
(c) The production of coloring books that indoctrinate children.
(d) Propagandistic slogans used as fortunes in fortune cookies.
3. Why is Klemperer's manuscript of The Eighteenth Century rejected?
(a) Because he is a Christian.
(b) Because he is a Jew.
(c) Lack of market interest.
(d) Because it is poorly written.
4. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Kristallnacht.
(b) The Röhm Revolt.
(c) The Shoah.
(d) The Anschluss.
5. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
(a) On the front lines.
(b) In a tank.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) Behind a desk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Klemperer come up with the money to pay for the initial rounds of construction on his house?
2. Klemperer often deplores ____________ who knowingly support the Hitler government.
3. ___________ worries consume Klemperer in nearly every diary entry of 1936.
4. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
5. In 1935, which religious group begins experiencing persecution, including lengthy prison terms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Klemperers purchase an empty lot in the Dresden suburb of Dölzschen with the intent of building a house?
2. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
3. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
4. Upon what--and for what reason--is the lawsuit between Klemperer and his publisher based?
5. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
6. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
7. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
8. In 1933, what kind of news fills the mainstream papers in Germany?
9. Why does Klemperer learn to type in 1935?
10. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)