|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1935, how are Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are still employed removed from their jobs?
(a) They are asked to resign.
(b) They are fired.
(c) They are offered buyout packages.
(d) They are arrested.
2. When was Victor born?
(a) October 9, 1881.
(b) July 13, 1881.
(c) October 9, 1882.
(d) July 13, 1882.
3. What was the response to the Nazi party's rise to power, coupled with the poor economic climate of the times?
(a) Riots and looting.
(b) Enthusiasm and gratitude.
(c) Demonstrations and assemblies.
(d) Burglaries and murders.
4. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
(a) The German Revolution.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) Franco-Prussian War.
5. What does Klemperer report about his wife, Eva's, health?
(a) She is generally healthy but occasionally falls ill.
(b) She is very healthy and never gets sick.
(c) She is confined to a wheelchair.
(d) She is infirm and sickly on a nearly daily basis.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what level do boycotts of Jewish-supplied goods and services occur during 1933?
2. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
3. As the Nazification of Germany continues in 1935, what is altered to the ancient German names?
4. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
5. In which town have the Klemperers purchased an empty lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the early portion of the year, gifts among friends typically consist of money, bottles of alcohol, and books. How has the nature of gifts changed by the end of 1941?
2. In pondering the nature of fate, to what does Klemperer compare life?
3. What country's civil war is still ongoing throughout 1937?
4. Early in 1939, on what book does Klemperer begin to work in earnest?
5. As 1938 progresses, what form of resistance against the Nazis is occasionally reported?
6. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
7. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
8. Why does the Nazi regime imposes a 'billion-Mark' fine on Jewish citizens in 1938?
9. In October 1938, Klemperer falls ill and makes a trip to Berlin. Why does he make this trip, and why is it dangerous?
10. In 1933, how does Klemperer find the German political situation?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)