|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Klemperer finds the costs of maintaining the car to be extremely ______________.
2. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
(a) A fence is built and a cellar is excavated.
(b) A fence is built.
(c) A vineyard is planted.
(d) A cellar is excavated.
3. What type of expensive medical care does Eva require in 1934?
(a) Dental work.
(b) Open-heart surgery.
(c) A liver transplant.
(d) In-patient mental care.
4. ___________ worries consume Klemperer in nearly every diary entry of 1936.
5. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
(b) The Transvaal region.
(d) The Saar region.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what organization, if any, did the people killed during the Night of the Long Knives belong?
2. In which war does Italy become involved toward the end of 1935?
3. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
4. As the Nazification of Germany continues in 1935, what is altered to the ancient German names?
5. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
2. As a university professor, what relationship does Klemperer notice developing between Nazi politics and ideology?
3. In a July diary entry, what does Klemperer wonder about himself?
4. In pondering the nature of fate, to what does Klemperer compare life?
5. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
6. As 1933 progresses, on what level and how frequently are Jewish-supplied goods and services boycotted?
7. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
8. Why does Klemperer learn to type in 1935?
9. Why do the Klemperers appear to be hypochondriacs?
10. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)