|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
(a) Making telephone calls becomes too expensive.
(b) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes forbidden.
(c) Writing letters becomes forbidden.
(d) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes politically dangerous.
2. What is the political orientation of the few newspapers that publish 'real' news?
3. Klemperer finds the costs of maintaining the car to be extremely ______________.
4. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
(a) The production of coloring books that indoctrinate children.
(b) Propagandistic slogans used as fortunes in fortune cookies.
(c) <I>Mein Kampf</I> replacing Bibles in churches and synagogues.
(d) Propagandistic slogans used as postmarks.
5. When school resumes in November, what happens to Klemperer's career?
(a) He returns to the lecture circuit.
(b) He receives a promotion.
(c) He receives a termination notice.
(d) He retires.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Klemperer receive his driving permit?
2. When he becomes Chancellor of Germany, Hitler's ______________ rhetoric becomes central to national politics.
3. When was Eva born?
4. Throughout 1934, many Jews _________ Palestine.
5. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1933, what kind of news fills the mainstream papers in Germany?
2. In 1933, Klemperer notes that many Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are wealthy or who have internationally marketable skills emigrate. What is life like for members of these groups who remain in Germany?
3. When the Nazis renovate or make improvements the property they seized from Victor Klemperer, to whom do they send the bill?
4. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
5. During a trip to Berlin, what does Klemperer learn that encourages him?
6. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
7. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
8. The return of what German legion, according to Klemperer, is celebrated in June 1939?
9. The beginning of 1941 is marked by what two phenomena regarding food?
10. After making inquiries into emigration during 1939, what does Klemperer conclude about his efforts to leave Germany?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)