|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what organization, if any, did the people killed during the Night of the Long Knives belong?
2. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
(a) The German national character.
(b) The Allies.
3. In February, what accident are the Klemperers witness to?
(a) The collapse of a billboard.
(b) The sinking of a passenger ferry.
(c) A multiple-car collision.
(d) The collapse of a construction trench.
4. At what point during classes are professors expected to give the Nazi salute?
(a) While giving out homework.
(b) At the beginning.
(c) In the middle.
(d) At the end.
5. What happens to the books that the university library has to surrender to the authorities when said books are deemed to have failed censorship or not be fit for the average person?
(a) They are destroyed and the university receives no compensation.
(b) They are destroyed and the authors are arrested for treason.
(c) They are heavily censored and then returned to the university.
(d) They are heavily censored and the authors are forced into Nazi re-education classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
2. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
3. When was Eva born?
4. To which location does Georg Klemperer first emigrate after the Nazis strip Jews of their citizenship and rights?
5. What opinion does Klemperer say most of his Aryan friends and associates have of the Nazis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
2. Instead of using Georg's money to emigrate, what does Klemperer do with it?
3. During World War I, where did Victor Klemperer serve during combat?
4. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
5. Upon what--and for what reason--is the lawsuit between Klemperer and his publisher based?
6. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
7. Toward the end of the year, as the Abyssinian War breaks out in Italy and Jehovah's Witnesses begin being persecuted, Klemperer wonders how long the Hitler government can last. What is the conclusion he comes to?
8. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
9. Why does Klemperer learn to type in 1935?
10. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)