|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of marriages are prohibited?
(a) Anything other than civil marriages.
2. Throughout 1934, many Jews _________ Palestine.
(a) Support annexation of.
(b) Become disenchanted with.
(c) Emigrate to.
(d) Establish diplomatic ties to.
3. How does Klemperer come up with the money to pay for the initial rounds of construction on his house?
(a) He comes into an inheritance.
(b) He secures a house loan.
(c) He closes out a savings account.
(d) His brother Georg makes him a financial gift.
4. For what reason was Klemperer discharged from the army?
(a) He was discharged for medical reasons.
(b) He deserted.
(c) He was discharged because his enlistment period had expired.
(d) He was dishonorably discharged.
5. When was Eva born?
(a) July 13, 1881.
(b) October, 9, 1882.
(c) July 13, 1882.
(d) October 9, 1881.
Short Answer Questions
1. As of 1936, for how long has Klemperer been unemployed?
2. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
3. What does Klemperer's book LTI deal with?
4. How does the Nazi party come to power in January 1933?
5. What does Klemperer begin to question as 1933 progresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Georg, Victor Klemperer's brother, sends him money to emigrate, Victor decides not to. Why?
2. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
3. Klemperer ends his friendship with Gusti and Karl Weighardt because they criticized his driving skills to others. What is ironic about this decision?
4. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
5. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
6. In mid-May 1936, what change does Klemperer make in his diary?
7. What were one of the requirements of Palestine's immigration policies that made it difficult for Jews to emigrate there?
8. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
9. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
10. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)