|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Klemperer's position after he leaves it?
(a) It is filled by a non-Jew.
(b) It is filled by another Jew.
(c) It is not filled.
(d) It remains open but is not filled.
2. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
(a) Making telephone calls becomes too expensive.
(b) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes forbidden.
(c) Writing letters becomes forbidden.
(d) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes politically dangerous.
3. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
(b) Loss of employment.
4. Which group of people were not discharged from employment during 1933?
5. Klemperer's wife, Eva, is _____________.
(a) Catholic and Aryan.
(b) Jewish and Semitic.
(c) Non-Jewish and Aryan.
(d) Protestant and black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
2. What race was Helene Meyer, who won the silver medal in fencing for Germany?
3. As the Nazification of Germany continues in 1935, what is altered to the ancient German names?
4. Why does Klemperer receive a reduced-rate retirement payment?
5. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In pondering the nature of fate, to what does Klemperer compare life?
2. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
3. Why did the Klemperers purchase an empty lot in the Dresden suburb of Dölzschen with the intent of building a house?
4. Klemperer is amazed that many Jews accept the Nazis. What does he say that Jews' overall belief is regarding what life will be like once the Nazis' anti-Semitic program is fully established?
5. In a July diary entry, what does Klemperer wonder about himself?
6. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
7. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
8. In 1933, what kind of news fills the mainstream papers in Germany?
9. When Klemperer receives letters from friends and family who have emigrated and have found success, he is both happy for and envious of them. What is the reason for Klemperer's envy?
10. Why does Klemperer learn to type in 1935?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)