|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Klemperer mistakenly believes the Night of the Long Knives demonstrates what?
(a) His theory of German character is incorrect.
(b) The essential strength of Hitler's government.
(c) The extent of Hitler's paranoia.
(d) The essential weakness of Hitler's government.
2. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
(a) Making telephone calls becomes too expensive.
(b) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes politically dangerous.
(c) Writing letters becomes forbidden.
(d) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes forbidden.
3. How does Klemperer come up with the money to pay for the initial rounds of construction on his house?
(a) He comes into an inheritance.
(b) He closes out a savings account.
(c) He secures a house loan.
(d) His brother Georg makes him a financial gift.
4. Victor Klemperer, the diarist, is a ___________ who has converted to _________.
(a) Jew; Protestantism.
(b) Protestant; Judaism.
(c) Catholic; Judaism.
(d) Jew; Catholicism.
5. With what type of inmates are prisons over-capacity?
Short Answer Questions
1. In February, what accident are the Klemperers witness to?
2. Who was killed during the Night of the Long Knives?
3. How much of the retirement pay that they had worked for do Catholics, Communists, and Jews who lose their jobs get?
4. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
5. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
Short Essay Questions
1. In a July diary entry, what does Klemperer wonder about himself?
2. What does Klemperer note seems to be happening with the politicized and specialized language of the Third Reich during 1935?
3. What happens to Nazism in Germany during 1934, according to Klemperer?
4. What was the significance of the Sturmateilung (SA), the members of which were the primary target of Hitler during the "Night of the Long Knives"?
5. When Klemperer receives his driving permit in January 1936, what emotions does he experience?
6. After a lawsuit with his publisher is settled in Klemperer's favor, what does Klemperer do with the money?
7. In pondering the nature of fate, to what does Klemperer compare life?
8. What reason does Klemperer give for the phenomenon of families and friends beginning to lose track of each other as people started to emigrate?
9. What is Victor Klemperer's theory of German national characteristics?
10. Klemperer also buys a car, which severely strains his finances. What does he do to pay off his debts?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)