|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of expensive medical care does Eva require in 1934?
(a) Open-heart surgery.
(b) In-patient mental care.
(c) A liver transplant.
(d) Dental work.
2. From what does Klemperer's youngest sister, Wally Sussman, die?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Old age.
(c) A stroke.
3. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
(a) World War II.
(b) The German Revolution.
(c) World War I.
(d) Franco-Prussian War.
4. Klemperer mistakenly believes the Night of the Long Knives demonstrates what?
(a) The essential weakness of Hitler's government.
(b) The extent of Hitler's paranoia.
(c) The essential strength of Hitler's government.
(d) His theory of German character is incorrect.
5. The mass _____________ of Jews has had the effect of separating friends and relatives.
6. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
(a) Loss of employment.
7. In February, what accident are the Klemperers witness to?
(a) A multiple-car collision.
(b) The collapse of a construction trench.
(c) The collapse of a billboard.
(d) The sinking of a passenger ferry.
8. Which of the following countries is NOT one of the destinations favored by Jews emigrating from Germany in 1934?
(a) The United States.
(c) The Soviet Union.
9. What is the truth about the voluntary Nazi political-fund drives?
(a) They are indeed voluntary.
(b) They are a de facto mandatory tax.
(c) They are a de facto party membership fee.
(d) Jews' participation is mandatory; Aryans' participation is voluntary.
10. In which town have the Klemperers purchased an empty lot?
11. How does Victor Klemperer respond to his brother's advice after considering it?
(a) He decides to emigrate if the Nazis are still in control in 1936.
(b) He emigrates immediately.
(c) He declines to emigrate.
(d) He can't make up his mind; he is paralyzed by fear.
12. Why does Klemperer receive a reduced-rate retirement payment?
(a) He is a veteran of World War I.
(b) He is a convert to Christianity.
(c) He is a veteran of World War I and is a convert to Christianity.
(d) He is a veteran of World War I and is married to an Aryan woman.
13. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
(a) The garden.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The study.
(d) The living room.
14. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
(a) The German national character.
(b) The Allies.
15. In what German city is the Klemperers' apartment located?
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of 1935, ______________ of food and various other materials become common.
2. Klemperer finds the costs of maintaining the car to be extremely ______________.
3. What does Klemperer's book LTI deal with?
4. In which war does Italy become involved toward the end of 1935?
5. What race was Helene Meyer, who won the silver medal in fencing for Germany?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)