|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he becomes Chancellor of Germany, Hitler's ______________ rhetoric becomes central to national politics.
2. What happens to the books that the university library has to surrender to the authorities when said books are deemed to have failed censorship or not be fit for the average person?
(a) They are destroyed and the authors are arrested for treason.
(b) They are destroyed and the university receives no compensation.
(c) They are heavily censored and then returned to the university.
(d) They are heavily censored and the authors are forced into Nazi re-education classes.
3. Both Victor and Eva appear to be _____________ much of the time in the entries written in 1936.
4. Victor Klemperer, the diarist, is a ___________ who has converted to _________.
(a) Jew; Catholicism.
(b) Protestant; Judaism.
(c) Catholic; Judaism.
(d) Jew; Protestantism.
5. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
(a) The garden.
(b) The study.
(c) The living room.
(d) The kitchen.
6. From what does Klemperer's youngest sister, Wally Sussman, die?
(b) A stroke.
(c) Old age.
(d) A heart attack.
7. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Shoah.
(b) The Kristallnacht.
(c) The Röhm Revolt.
(d) The Anschluss.
8. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
9. With which political ideology is the Klemperers' friend, Gusti Wieghardt, enamored?
10. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
(b) The Saar region.
(c) The Transvaal region.
11. What about many Jews' attitude towards the Nazis amazes Klemperer?
(a) They want to join the Nazi party.
(b) They agree with them.
(c) They accept them.
(d) They want to become Communists as a sign of protest.
12. At what point during classes are professors expected to give the Nazi salute?
(a) At the beginning.
(b) In the middle.
(c) While giving out homework.
(d) At the end.
13. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
(a) He has nearly abandoned it.
(b) He is seriously doubting it.
(c) He has entirely abandoned it.
(d) He is holding tighter to it than ever.
14. Who was killed during the Night of the Long Knives?
(a) Former acquaintances and allies of Hitler.
(d) Former acquaintances and allies of Heidelberg.
15. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
(a) Propagandistic slogans used as postmarks.
(b) Mein Kampf replacing Bibles in churches and synagogues.
(c) The production of coloring books that indoctrinate children.
(d) Propagandistic slogans used as fortunes in fortune cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the propagandistic articles carried by most media outlets?
2. What race was Helene Meyer, who won the silver medal in fencing for Germany?
3. Klemperer finds the costs of maintaining the car to be extremely ______________.
4. Klemperer's wife, Eva, is _____________.
5. Why does Klemperer receive a reduced-rate retirement payment?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)