|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of office equipment does Victor learn to use in 1935?
(a) A transcription machine.
(b) A typewriter.
(c) A mimeograph machine.
(d) A telegraph.
2. What was the name of the 1935 law that deprived German Jews of their citizenship and rights?
(a) The Law for the Protection of German Blood and German Honor.
(b) The Reich Citizenship Law.
(c) The Reich Laws of Citizenship and Race.
(d) The Nuremberg Laws of Citizenship and Race.
3. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
(a) He has nearly abandoned it.
(b) He has entirely abandoned it.
(c) He is seriously doubting it.
(d) He is holding tighter to it than ever.
4. Victor Klemperer, the diarist, is a ___________ who has converted to _________.
(a) Jew; Catholicism.
(b) Protestant; Judaism.
(c) Jew; Protestantism.
(d) Catholic; Judaism.
5. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The living room.
(c) The garden.
(d) The study.
6. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
(a) Mein Kampf replacing Bibles in churches and synagogues.
(b) Propagandistic slogans used as fortunes in fortune cookies.
(c) Propagandistic slogans used as postmarks.
(d) The production of coloring books that indoctrinate children.
7. What 1936 event prompts the brief removal of all anti-Semitic references in German media?
(a) A visit from the Red Cross.
(b) A visit from President Roosevelt.
(c) The G-20 summit.
(d) The Olympics.
8. With whom is Klemperer involved in a lawsuit during 1933 and 1934?
(a) A publisher.
(b) A student.
(c) A fellow author.
(d) His employer.
9. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
(b) The Allies.
(c) The German national character.
10. What happens to Klemperer's position after he leaves it?
(a) It is filled by a non-Jew.
(b) It remains open but is not filled.
(c) It is not filled.
(d) It is filled by another Jew.
11. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Anschluss.
(b) The Kristallnacht.
(c) The Shoah.
(d) The Röhm Revolt.
12. Along with his strongest recommendations to flee Germany, what does Georg give Victor and Eva Klemperer?
(a) Tickets on the next flight out of Germany.
(b) A considerable sum of money.
(c) A year's supply of medicine.
(d) Secret information about what Hitler has planned next for the Jews.
13. As anti-Jew laws become stricter, what is an example of the type of public facilities from which Jews are excluded in 1936?
(a) Grocery stores.
(b) Police offices.
(d) Public reading rooms.
14. As of 1936, for how long has Klemperer been unemployed?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three months.
(d) One month.
15. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
(a) A 1936 Volkswagen.
(b) A 1932 Ford.
(c) A 1932 Opel.
(d) A 1934 Volvo.
Short Answer Questions
1. When school resumes in November, what happens to Klemperer's career?
2. In 1935, which religious group begins experiencing persecution, including lengthy prison terms?
3. What was the response to the Nazi party's rise to power, coupled with the poor economic climate of the times?
4. Why is Klemperer's manuscript of The Eighteenth Century rejected?
5. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)