|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
(a) A 1932 Ford.
(b) A 1936 Volkswagen.
(c) A 1934 Volvo.
(d) A 1932 Opel.
2. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
(b) The Saar region.
(d) The Transvaal region.
3. Klemperer often deplores ____________ who knowingly support the Hitler government.
(c) Farm coalitions.
4. Which group of people were not discharged from employment during 1933?
5. When Paul von Hindenburg dies in August 1934, which office does Hitler assume in addition to that of Chancellor?
6. The politicized and specialized language of ________________ continues to seep into common, everyday usage.
(a) The Führer.
(c) The Third Reich.
7. The mass _____________ of Jews has had the effect of separating friends and relatives.
8. What is the topic of Klemperer's book, The Eighteenth Century?
(a) It is a review of eighteenth-century art.
(b) It is a review of eighteenth-century politics.
(c) It is a review of eighteenth-century literature.
(d) it is a review of eighteenth-century German history.
9. When school resumes in November, what happens to Klemperer's career?
(a) He retires.
(b) He returns to the lecture circuit.
(c) He receives a termination notice.
(d) He receives a promotion.
10. What does Klemperer teach at the university where he works?
(a) Philology and history.
(b) Romance literature and political science.
(c) History and Renaissance literature.
(d) Philology and romance literature.
11. Klemperer's wife, Eva, is _____________.
(a) Catholic and Aryan.
(b) Jewish and Semitic.
(c) Non-Jewish and Aryan.
(d) Protestant and black.
12. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
(a) Indoctrination classes.
(b) Military service.
(c) Work camps.
(d) Church attendance.
13. In what month does Klemperer receive his driving permit?
14. What health condition(s) do both Klemperers appear to have?
(b) Depression and hypochondria.
(d) Anxiety and diabetes.
15. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Shoah.
(b) The Röhm Revolt.
(c) The Anschluss.
(d) The Kristallnacht.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the books that the university library has to surrender to the authorities when said books are deemed to have failed censorship or not be fit for the average person?
2. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
3. Why does Klemperer receive a reduced-rate retirement payment?
4. What piece of office equipment does Victor learn to use in 1935?
5. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)