|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Eva born?
(a) October 9, 1881.
(b) October, 9, 1882.
(c) July 13, 1881.
(d) July 13, 1882.
2. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
3. At what point during classes are professors expected to give the Nazi salute?
(a) At the end.
(b) While giving out homework.
(c) In the middle.
(d) At the beginning.
4. In 1935, which religious group begins experiencing persecution, including lengthy prison terms?
(c) Seventh-Day Adventists.
(d) Jehovah's Witnesses.
5. In February, what accident are the Klemperers witness to?
(a) The collapse of a construction trench.
(b) The collapse of a billboard.
(c) The sinking of a passenger ferry.
(d) A multiple-car collision.
6. Klemperer mistakenly believes the Night of the Long Knives demonstrates what?
(a) His theory of German character is incorrect.
(b) The essential weakness of Hitler's government.
(c) The extent of Hitler's paranoia.
(d) The essential strength of Hitler's government.
7. Both Victor and Eva appear to be _____________ much of the time in the entries written in 1936.
8. What makes Klemperer break off all contact with the Wieghardts?
(a) They become members of the Nazi party.
(b) Their political views.
(c) Their criticism of his driving skills.
(d) Their criticism of his political views.
9. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
(a) Writing letters becomes forbidden.
(b) Making telephone calls becomes too expensive.
(c) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes forbidden.
(d) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes politically dangerous.
10. Klemperer's wife, Eva, is _____________.
(a) Protestant and black.
(b) Non-Jewish and Aryan.
(c) Catholic and Aryan.
(d) Jewish and Semitic.
11. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Röhm Revolt.
(b) The Shoah.
(c) The Anschluss.
(d) The Kristallnacht.
12. When Paul von Hindenburg dies in August 1934, which office does Hitler assume in addition to that of Chancellor?
13. When Klemperer's youngest sister, Wally Sussman, dies, in what city is the funeral held?
14. Which war begins in August 1936?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Crimean War.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Spanish Civil War.
15. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
(a) World War I.
(b) Franco-Prussian War.
(c) The German Revolution.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which location does Georg Klemperer first emigrate after the Nazis strip Jews of their citizenship and rights?
2. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
3. What does Klemperer teach at the university where he works?
4. How does Victor Klemperer respond to his brother's advice after considering it?
5. In 1935, how are Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are still employed removed from their jobs?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)