|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ___________ worries consume Klemperer in nearly every diary entry of 1936.
2. Both Victor and Eva appear to be _____________ much of the time in the entries written in 1936.
3. What is the topic of Klemperer's book, The Eighteenth Century?
(a) It is a review of eighteenth-century literature.
(b) it is a review of eighteenth-century German history.
(c) It is a review of eighteenth-century art.
(d) It is a review of eighteenth-century politics.
4. Which group of people were not discharged from employment during 1933?
5. In 1935, how are Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are still employed removed from their jobs?
(a) They are arrested.
(b) They are asked to resign.
(c) They are offered buyout packages.
(d) They are fired.
6. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
(a) He is holding tighter to it than ever.
(b) He is seriously doubting it.
(c) He has entirely abandoned it.
(d) He has nearly abandoned it.
7. What does Klemperer report about his wife, Eva's, health?
(a) She is confined to a wheelchair.
(b) She is very healthy and never gets sick.
(c) She is generally healthy but occasionally falls ill.
(d) She is infirm and sickly on a nearly daily basis.
8. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
(a) A vineyard is planted.
(b) A fence is built and a cellar is excavated.
(c) A cellar is excavated.
(d) A fence is built.
9. What is the political orientation of the few newspapers that publish 'real' news?
10. How does Victor Klemperer respond to his brother's advice after considering it?
(a) He decides to emigrate if the Nazis are still in control in 1936.
(b) He emigrates immediately.
(c) He declines to emigrate.
(d) He can't make up his mind; he is paralyzed by fear.
11. When was Eva born?
(a) July 13, 1882.
(b) October 9, 1881.
(c) July 13, 1881.
(d) October, 9, 1882.
12. What does Klemperer begin to question as 1933 progresses?
(a) His theory of national characteristics.
(b) His ability to be considered a Protestant.
(c) His ability to keep his job.
(d) His ability to remain in Germany.
13. What did groups against whom the Nazis discriminated, if they had wealth or internationally desirable skills, do?
(b) Bribe the government to keep their positions.
(c) Change their identities.
(d) Seek high interest home loans.
14. The politicized and specialized language of ________________ continues to seep into common, everyday usage.
(c) The Third Reich.
(d) The Führer.
15. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
(c) Loss of employment.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what level do boycotts of Jewish-supplied goods and services occur during 1933?
2. What does Klemperer's book LTI deal with?
3. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
4. What illness does Victor contract during 1935?
5. What type of expensive medical care does Eva require in 1934?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)