|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Nazification of Germany continues in 1935, what is altered to the ancient German names?
(a) The regions of the country.
(b) The names of the cities and towns.
(c) The names of the months.
(d) The days of the week.
2. What was the name of the 1935 law that deprived German Jews of their citizenship and rights?
(a) The Law for the Protection of German Blood and German Honor.
(b) The Reich Citizenship Law.
(c) The Reich Laws of Citizenship and Race.
(d) The Nuremberg Laws of Citizenship and Race.
3. When Klemperer's youngest sister, Wally Sussman, dies, in what city is the funeral held?
4. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
(a) Making telephone calls becomes too expensive.
(b) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes forbidden.
(c) Writing letters becomes forbidden.
(d) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes politically dangerous.
5. What puts Palestine beyond the reach of many?
(a) It requires immigrants to demonstrate considerable financial net worth.
(b) It requires immigrants to convert to Islam.
(c) It requires immigrants to financially destitute themselves in order to apply for residence.
(d) It does not accept European Jews.
6. In July 1934, in whose favor is Klemperer's lawsuit settled?
(a) The defendant's.
(b) It is split between both parties.
(d) It isn't settled; it is thrown out of court.
7. With whom is Klemperer involved in a lawsuit during 1933 and 1934?
(a) His employer.
(b) A publisher.
(c) A student.
(d) A fellow author.
8. Klemperer mistakenly believes the Night of the Long Knives demonstrates what?
(a) The essential weakness of Hitler's government.
(b) The essential strength of Hitler's government.
(c) The extent of Hitler's paranoia.
(d) His theory of German character is incorrect.
9. To which location does Georg Klemperer first emigrate after the Nazis strip Jews of their citizenship and rights?
10. In which war does Italy become involved toward the end of 1935?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Abyssinian War.
(c) The Armenian War.
(d) The Balkan War.
11. In what month of 1934 do the Klemperers move into their home in Dölzschen?
12. What did groups against whom the Nazis discriminated, if they had wealth or internationally desirable skills, do?
(b) Change their identities.
(c) Bribe the government to keep their positions.
(d) Seek high interest home loans.
13. As of 1936, for how long has Klemperer been unemployed?
(a) One month.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) One year.
14. When school resumes in November, what happens to Klemperer's career?
(a) He returns to the lecture circuit.
(b) He retires.
(c) He receives a promotion.
(d) He receives a termination notice.
15. The politicized and specialized language of ________________ continues to seep into common, everyday usage.
(a) The Führer.
(c) The Third Reich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
2. For what reason was Klemperer discharged from the army?
3. The government uses various ________ methods to harass Jews and other so-called undesirables.
4. Both Victor and Eva appear to be _____________ much of the time in the entries written in 1936.
5. What is the topic of Klemperer's book, The Eighteenth Century?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)