|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which location does Georg Klemperer first emigrate after the Nazis strip Jews of their citizenship and rights?
2. What is the political orientation of the few newspapers that publish 'real' news?
3. In what German city is the Klemperers' apartment located?
4. As of 1936, for how long has Klemperer been unemployed?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
5. What was the response to the Nazi party's rise to power, coupled with the poor economic climate of the times?
(a) Burglaries and murders.
(b) Enthusiasm and gratitude.
(c) Riots and looting.
(d) Demonstrations and assemblies.
6. With whom is Klemperer involved in a lawsuit during 1933 and 1934?
(a) A publisher.
(b) A fellow author.
(c) His employer.
(d) A student.
7. With what type of inmates are prisons over-capacity?
8. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
(a) The Transvaal region.
(c) The Saar region.
9. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
(a) Church attendance.
(b) Work camps.
(c) Military service.
(d) Indoctrination classes.
10. When Klemperer's youngest sister, Wally Sussman, dies, in what city is the funeral held?
11. Klemperer mistakenly believes the Night of the Long Knives demonstrates what?
(a) The extent of Hitler's paranoia.
(b) The essential weakness of Hitler's government.
(c) His theory of German character is incorrect.
(d) The essential strength of Hitler's government.
12. How does the Nazi party come to power in January 1933?
(a) A valid national election.
(b) A workers' revolution.
(c) A rigged national election.
(d) A military coup.
13. To what organization, if any, did the people killed during the Night of the Long Knives belong?
14. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
(a) In a tank.
(b) Behind a desk.
(c) On the front lines.
(d) In a hospital.
15. For what reason was Klemperer discharged from the army?
(a) He deserted.
(b) He was discharged because his enlistment period had expired.
(c) He was discharged for medical reasons.
(d) He was dishonorably discharged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
2. Klemperer finds the costs of maintaining the car to be extremely ______________.
3. As anti-Jew laws become stricter, what is an example of the type of public facilities from which Jews are excluded in 1936?
4. What happens to Klemperer's position after he leaves it?
5. Who was killed during the Night of the Long Knives?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)