|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following countries is NOT one of the destinations favored by Jews emigrating from Germany in 1934?
(c) The Soviet Union.
(d) The United States.
2. Which group of people were not discharged from employment during 1933?
3. In 1935, how are Catholics, Communists, and Jews who are still employed removed from their jobs?
(a) They are fired.
(b) They are offered buyout packages.
(c) They are asked to resign.
(d) They are arrested.
4. What piece of office equipment does Victor learn to use in 1935?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A telegraph.
(c) A transcription machine.
(d) A mimeograph machine.
5. Who was killed during the Night of the Long Knives?
(b) Former acquaintances and allies of Hitler.
(d) Former acquaintances and allies of Heidelberg.
6. What race was Helene Meyer, who won the silver medal in fencing for Germany?
7. With whom is Klemperer involved in a lawsuit during 1933 and 1934?
(a) His employer.
(b) A student.
(c) A fellow author.
(d) A publisher.
8. What is the topic of Klemperer's book, The Eighteenth Century?
(a) It is a review of eighteenth-century literature.
(b) It is a review of eighteenth-century art.
(c) It is a review of eighteenth-century politics.
(d) it is a review of eighteenth-century German history.
9. Klemperer mistakenly believes the Night of the Long Knives demonstrates what?
(a) The essential strength of Hitler's government.
(b) His theory of German character is incorrect.
(c) The extent of Hitler's paranoia.
(d) The essential weakness of Hitler's government.
10. As anti-Jew laws become stricter, what is an example of the type of public facilities from which Jews are excluded in 1936?
(a) Police offices.
(b) Public reading rooms.
(c) Grocery stores.
11. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
(a) Loss of employment.
12. What has happened to Klemperer's theory of the essential character of the German nation?
(a) He has nearly abandoned it.
(b) He is holding tighter to it than ever.
(c) He is seriously doubting it.
(d) He has entirely abandoned it.
13. What illness does Victor contract during 1935?
14. What 1936 event prompts the brief removal of all anti-Semitic references in German media?
(a) The G-20 summit.
(b) The Olympics.
(c) A visit from President Roosevelt.
(d) A visit from the Red Cross.
15. As the Nazification of Germany continues in 1935, what is altered to the ancient German names?
(a) The regions of the country.
(b) The days of the week.
(c) The names of the cities and towns.
(d) The names of the months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the political orientation of the few newspapers that publish 'real' news?
2. Throughout 1934, many Jews _________ Palestine.
3. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
4. At what point during classes are professors expected to give the Nazi salute?
5. Eva and Victor are between what ages, respectively, during 1933?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)