|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1935, most of the construction on the new house is complete. In what area of the house does Eva spend most of her time working?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The study.
(c) The living room.
(d) The garden.
2. What does Klemperer's book LTI deal with?
(a) Nazi hierarchy.
(b) Nazi officials.
(c) Nazi beliefs.
(d) Nazi terminology.
3. What race was Helene Meyer, who won the silver medal in fencing for Germany?
4. In what German city is the Klemperers' apartment located?
5. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Shoah.
(b) The Kristallnacht.
(c) The Anschluss.
(d) The Röhm Revolt.
6. Why is Klemperer's manuscript of The Eighteenth Century rejected?
(a) Because he is a Christian.
(b) Lack of market interest.
(c) Because he is a Jew.
(d) Because it is poorly written.
7. Throughout 1934, many Jews _________ Palestine.
(a) Support annexation of.
(b) Establish diplomatic ties to.
(c) Become disenchanted with.
(d) Emigrate to.
8. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
(a) A 1934 Volvo.
(b) A 1932 Ford.
(c) A 1932 Opel.
(d) A 1936 Volkswagen.
9. In what month of 1934 do the Klemperers move into their home in Dölzschen?
10. What is the truth about the voluntary Nazi political-fund drives?
(a) They are a de facto mandatory tax.
(b) They are a de facto party membership fee.
(c) They are indeed voluntary.
(d) Jews' participation is mandatory; Aryans' participation is voluntary.
11. What type of marriages are prohibited?
(c) Anything other than civil marriages.
12. What does Klemperer report about his wife, Eva's, health?
(a) She is very healthy and never gets sick.
(b) She is infirm and sickly on a nearly daily basis.
(c) She is generally healthy but occasionally falls ill.
(d) She is confined to a wheelchair.
13. What opinion does Klemperer say most of his Aryan friends and associates have of the Nazis?
(a) They are undecided.
(b) They are neutral.
(c) They are against them.
(d) They support them.
14. Which war begins in August 1936?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Crimean War.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
(d) The French Revolution.
15. What does Klemperer teach at the university where he works?
(a) Philology and history.
(b) Romance literature and political science.
(c) History and Renaissance literature.
(d) Philology and romance literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What puts Palestine beyond the reach of many?
2. How does the Nazi party come to power in January 1933?
3. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
4. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
5. How does Victor Klemperer respond to his brother's advice after considering it?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)