|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which town have the Klemperers purchased an empty lot?
2. On what level do boycotts of Jewish-supplied goods and services occur during 1933?
3. Throughout 1934, many Jews _________ Palestine.
(a) Become disenchanted with.
(b) Emigrate to.
(c) Support annexation of.
(d) Establish diplomatic ties to.
4. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
5. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The German Revolution.
(d) Franco-Prussian War.
6. What does Klemperer risk for avoiding giving the Nazi salute during class?
(d) Loss of employment.
7. What did groups against whom the Nazis discriminated, if they had wealth or internationally desirable skills, do?
(b) Bribe the government to keep their positions.
(c) Change their identities.
(d) Seek high interest home loans.
8. What is the truth about the voluntary Nazi political-fund drives?
(a) Jews' participation is mandatory; Aryans' participation is voluntary.
(b) They are indeed voluntary.
(c) They are a <I>de facto</I> party membership fee.
(d) They are a <I>de facto</I> mandatory tax.
9. What does Klemperer teach at the university where he works?
(a) History and Renaissance literature.
(b) Philology and romance literature.
(c) Philology and history.
(d) Romance literature and political science.
10. What does Klemperer report about his wife, Eva's, health?
(a) She is very healthy and never gets sick.
(b) She is confined to a wheelchair.
(c) She is generally healthy but occasionally falls ill.
(d) She is infirm and sickly on a nearly daily basis.
11. What race was Helene Meyer, who won the silver medal in fencing for Germany?
12. How does Klemperer come up with the money to pay for the initial rounds of construction on his house?
(a) His brother Georg makes him a financial gift.
(b) He closes out a savings account.
(c) He comes into an inheritance.
(d) He secures a house loan.
13. In which war does Italy become involved toward the end of 1935?
(a) The Abyssinian War.
(b) The Armenian War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Balkan War.
14. How does the Nazi party come to power in January 1933?
(a) A rigged national election.
(b) A workers' revolution.
(c) A military coup.
(d) A valid national election.
15. ___________ worries consume Klemperer in nearly every diary entry of 1936.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was killed during the Night of the Long Knives?
2. Toward the end of 1935, ______________ of food and various other materials become common.
3. With what type of inmates are prisons over-capacity?
4. As of 1936, for how long has Klemperer been unemployed?
5. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)