|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point during classes are professors expected to give the Nazi salute?
(a) While giving out homework.
(b) At the end.
(c) At the beginning.
(d) In the middle.
2. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
3. As anti-Jew laws become stricter, what is an example of the type of public facilities from which Jews are excluded in 1936?
(b) Police offices.
(c) Public reading rooms.
(d) Grocery stores.
4. What type of marriages are prohibited?
(a) Anything other than civil marriages.
5. What does Klemperer teach at the university where he works?
(a) History and Renaissance literature.
(b) Philology and romance literature.
(c) Romance literature and political science.
(d) Philology and history.
6. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Kristallnacht.
(b) The Anschluss.
(c) The Röhm Revolt.
(d) The Shoah.
7. What was the response to the Nazi party's rise to power, coupled with the poor economic climate of the times?
(a) Demonstrations and assemblies.
(b) Enthusiasm and gratitude.
(c) Riots and looting.
(d) Burglaries and murders.
8. Both Victor and Eva appear to be _____________ much of the time in the entries written in 1936.
9. When was Victor born?
(a) October 9, 1882.
(b) July 13, 1882.
(c) July 13, 1881.
(d) October 9, 1881.
10. What kind of car does Klemperer buy after receiving his driving permit?
(a) A 1932 Ford.
(b) A 1932 Opel.
(c) A 1936 Volkswagen.
(d) A 1934 Volvo.
11. What does Klemperer report about his wife, Eva's, health?
(a) She is very healthy and never gets sick.
(b) She is confined to a wheelchair.
(c) She is generally healthy but occasionally falls ill.
(d) She is infirm and sickly on a nearly daily basis.
12. The mass _____________ of Jews has had the effect of separating friends and relatives.
13. What is the political orientation of the few newspapers that publish 'real' news?
14. Victor Klemperer, the diarist, is a ___________ who has converted to _________.
(a) Jew; Protestantism.
(b) Jew; Catholicism.
(c) Catholic; Judaism.
(d) Protestant; Judaism.
15. What type of medical treatments does Eva undergo?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the retirement pay that they had worked for do Catholics, Communists, and Jews who lose their jobs get?
2. What type of expensive medical care does Eva require in 1934?
3. In February, what accident are the Klemperers witness to?
4. In what German city is the Klemperers' apartment located?
5. How does the Nazi party come to power in January 1933?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)