|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both Victor and Eva appear to be _____________ much of the time in the entries written in 1936.
2. In which town have the Klemperers purchased an empty lot?
3. What happens to the books that the university library has to surrender to the authorities when said books are deemed to have failed censorship or not be fit for the average person?
(a) They are heavily censored and then returned to the university.
(b) They are destroyed and the university receives no compensation.
(c) They are heavily censored and the authors are forced into Nazi re-education classes.
(d) They are destroyed and the authors are arrested for treason.
4. When Paul von Hindenburg dies in August 1934, which office does Hitler assume in addition to that of Chancellor?
5. Hitler proclaims compulsory ______________.
(a) Church attendance.
(b) Military service.
(c) Work camps.
(d) Indoctrination classes.
6. What is the political orientation of the few newspapers that publish 'real' news?
7. How does Klemperer come up with the money to pay for the initial rounds of construction on his house?
(a) He secures a house loan.
(b) He comes into an inheritance.
(c) His brother Georg makes him a financial gift.
(d) He closes out a savings account.
8. Throughout 1934, many Jews _________ Palestine.
(a) Emigrate to.
(b) Support annexation of.
(c) Become disenchanted with.
(d) Establish diplomatic ties to.
9. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
(b) The Transvaal region.
(c) The Saar region.
10. What makes Klemperer break off all contact with the Wieghardts?
(a) Their criticism of his driving skills.
(b) Their political views.
(c) They become members of the Nazi party.
(d) Their criticism of his political views.
11. What puts Palestine beyond the reach of many?
(a) It requires immigrants to convert to Islam.
(b) It requires immigrants to demonstrate considerable financial net worth.
(c) It requires immigrants to financially destitute themselves in order to apply for residence.
(d) It does not accept European Jews.
12. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
13. Why is Klemperer's manuscript of <I>The Eighteenth Century</I> rejected?
(a) Because he is a Jew.
(b) Because he is a Christian.
(c) Because it is poorly written.
(d) Lack of market interest.
14. How much of the retirement pay that they had worked for do Catholics, Communists, and Jews who lose their jobs get?
(b) One-third retirement pay.
(c) Full retirement pay.
(d) Half retirement pay.
15. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
(a) On the front lines.
(b) In a tank.
(c) Behind a desk.
(d) In a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with his strongest recommendations to flee Germany, what does Georg give Victor and Eva Klemperer?
2. During which war did Klemperer serve in the German armed forces?
3. What does Klemperer report about his wife, Eva's, health?
4. The politicized and specialized language of ________________ continues to seep into common, everyday usage.
5. With whom is Klemperer involved in a lawsuit during 1933 and 1934?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)