|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Klemperer's book LTI deal with?
(a) Nazi hierarchy.
(b) Nazi beliefs.
(c) Nazi terminology.
(d) Nazi officials.
2. Toward the end of 1935, ______________ of food and various other materials become common.
(a) Complete unavailability.
3. Which war begins in August 1936?
(a) The Crimean War.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Spanish Civil War.
4. To what organization, if any, did the people killed during the Night of the Long Knives belong?
5. As of 1936, for how long has Klemperer been unemployed?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
6. What is the "Night of the Long Knives" referred to as by Klemperer?
(a) The Shoah.
(b) The Röhm Revolt.
(c) The Anschluss.
(d) The Kristallnacht.
7. Why do family members and friends among the groups who are discriminated against by the Nazis begin to lose track of each other?
(a) Writing letters becomes forbidden.
(b) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes forbidden.
(c) Writing letters and making telephone calls becomes politically dangerous.
(d) Making telephone calls becomes too expensive.
8. In 1935, which religious group begins experiencing persecution, including lengthy prison terms?
(a) Jehovah's Witnesses.
(d) Seventh-Day Adventists.
9. In which town have the Klemperers purchased an empty lot?
10. Who was killed during the Night of the Long Knives?
(b) Former acquaintances and allies of Hitler.
(c) Former acquaintances and allies of Heidelberg.
11. By the end of 1934, which area of Europe votes to attach itself to Germany?
(b) The Saar region.
(c) The Transvaal region.
12. In July 1934, in whose favor is Klemperer's lawsuit settled?
(a) The defendant's.
(c) It is split between both parties.
(d) It isn't settled; it is thrown out of court.
13. The politicized and specialized language of ________________ continues to seep into common, everyday usage.
(c) The Führer.
(d) The Third Reich.
14. What work is done on the Klemperers' empty lot through the end of 1933?
(a) A vineyard is planted.
(b) A cellar is excavated.
(c) A fence is built.
(d) A fence is built and a cellar is excavated.
15. Before his discharge from the army, where did Klemperer serve?
(a) Behind a desk.
(b) On the front lines.
(c) In a tank.
(d) In a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paul von Hindenburg dies in August 1934, which office does Hitler assume in addition to that of Chancellor?
2. For what reason was Klemperer discharged from the army?
3. What does Klemperer believe will defeat the Nazis' anti-Semitism?
4. What is one interesting example of Nazi indoctrination noted by Klemperer in his 1936 entries?
5. In what month does Klemperer receive a planned termination notice?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)