|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to Torquilstone posing as a priest?
2. Why is Urfried content to be alive?
3. Who comes to the Black Knight's aid in Chapter 40?
4. Who does Front-de-Boeuf tell Cedric to deliver something to?
5. What do the invaders build during the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruse does Robin Hood create for the sake of King Richard's safety in Chapter 41?
2. What advice does Nathan offer Isaac in Chapter 35?
3. What does Bois-Guilbert say which greatly upsets Rebecca in Chapter 24?
4. What does Ulrica say to Front-de-Boeuf as he lays dying?
5. In her trial, what does Rebecca do when she is given time to argue her defense?
6. How does Robin of Locksley distribute the spoils of the battle?
7. At Athelstane's castle, what are the twenty women in an apartment doing?
8. What happens when the Black Knight and Wamba are traveling through the forest in Chapter 40?
9. What does Rebecca realize as she spends time with Ivanhoe?
10. In Chapter 36, what does de Baumanoir chastise Malvoisin for, and what does Malvoisin say in his defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the historical inaccuracies in the novel "Ivanhoe." Were these inaccuracies deliberate? If so, why might Scott have chosen to depict the story in a way that is not historically accurate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of anti-semitism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of antisemitism in the novel? Is this an accurate portrayal of how Jewish people were regarded at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scott's use of irony in the novel "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone and plot of the novel?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)