|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the Black Knight's aid in Chapter 40?
2. How many men are said to be backing the opposition to De Bracy, Bois-Guilbert and Front-de-Boeuf?
3. Where does Prince John plot to usurp his brothers throne in Chapter 34?
4. What are the women gathered in the apartment in Athelstane's castle doing?
5. Who kidnaps Rebecca in the middle of the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scene outside Athelstane's castle described in Chapter 41?
2. What does Rebecca realize as she spends time with Ivanhoe?
3. What ruse does Robin Hood create for the sake of King Richard's safety in Chapter 41?
4. What proclamation does Friar Tuck make about Isaac?
5. What evidence is brought against Rebecca in her witchcraft trial?
6. What does Robin of Locksley give the Black Knight in Chapter 32?
7. Who is Urfried? What does she explain to Rebecca?
8. In Chapter 36, what does de Baumanoir chastise Malvoisin for, and what does Malvoisin say in his defense?
9. At Athelstane's castle, what are the twenty women in an apartment doing?
10. How did Ivanhoe come to be with Isaac and Rebecca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Ivanhoe." What happens at the end of the novel? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not? Are there any surprising developments? How does Ivanhoe overcome the obstacles he faced?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of disguise. Who wears a disguise in the novel and why? Who chooses not to disguise himself and how does it affect his life? How does Scott depict the revealing of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Prince John and King Richard.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)