|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isaac give to the Grand Master ?
2. Who is the Grand Master of the Templar Knights?
3. What is the name of Athelstane's mother?
4. Realizing that his men are deserting him, what does Prince John suggest?
5. As expressed in Chapter 29, what does Rebecca see no value in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is sent to Torquilstone posing as a priest, and what does he do to help Cedric escape?
2. What happens to Rebecca towards the end of the battle? Who tries to save Rebecca?
3. What does Robin of Locksley give the Black Knight in Chapter 32?
4. What does Ulrica say to Front-de-Boeuf as he lays dying?
5. What are Bois-Guilbert's aspirations, and what does he offer Rebecca in exchange for marrying him?
6. Who is Urfried? What does she explain to Rebecca?
7. What does Urfried tell Cedric about her past?
8. What does De Bracy tell Prince John in York?
9. What tip does Urfried give Cedric before he escapes?
10. In Chapter 36, what does de Baumanoir chastise Malvoisin for, and what does Malvoisin say in his defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of "Ivanhoe." How does Scott convey the tone of the novel? How does the tone of the novel connect to the themes and motifs of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the hero archetype. What characteristics are associated with the hero archetype? Why is Ivanhoe an example of a hero? Are there other examples of the hero archetype in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of chivalry in the novel "Ivanhoe." What is Ivanhoe's opinion of chivalry? What are other characters opinions of chivalry? What are the ideals of chivalry?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)