|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Black Knight intend to attend in Chapter 40?
2. Who is said to be captured by the forest outlaws in Chapter 27?
3. What time does Bois-Guilbert say the prisoners will be killed by?
4. Realizing that his men are deserting him, what does Prince John suggest?
5. How much does Isaac set the Prior's ransom for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scene outside Athelstane's castle described in Chapter 41?
2. How did Ivanhoe come to be with Isaac and Rebecca?
3. What role does the Black Knight play in the Battle at Torquilstone?
4. What does Urfried tell Cedric about her past?
5. What happens to Rebecca towards the end of the battle? Who tries to save Rebecca?
6. What does Rebecca realize as she spends time with Ivanhoe?
7. What does De Bracy tell Prince John in York?
8. What tip does Urfried give Cedric before he escapes?
9. What does Robin of Locksley give the Black Knight in Chapter 32?
10. At Athelstane's castle, what are the twenty women in an apartment doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author, Sir Walter Scott, and his canon. What genre does he usually write in? What similarities can be made between "Ivanhoe" and Scott's other work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of chivalry in the novel "Ivanhoe." What is Ivanhoe's opinion of chivalry? What are other characters opinions of chivalry? What are the ideals of chivalry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of anti-semitism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of antisemitism in the novel? Is this an accurate portrayal of how Jewish people were regarded at this time?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)