|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposal does Bois-Guilbert make to Rebecca?
2. What symbol appears on a banner above the gate at Athelstane's castle?
3. Who is Ambrose?
4. What do De Bracy, Bois-Guilbert and Front-de-Boeuf request in their letter to their opposition?
5. How many brothers did the person Rebecca encountered in her cell have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scene outside Athelstane's castle described in Chapter 41?
2. What does Robin of Locksley give the Black Knight in Chapter 32?
3. What confessions do the Black Knight and Robin of Locksley make in Chapter 40?
4. What does Urfried tell Cedric about her past?
5. What role does the Black Knight play in the Battle at Torquilstone?
6. What does Bois-Guilbert say which greatly upsets Rebecca in Chapter 24?
7. In Chapter 38, what does Rebecca ask her father to do in her letter?
8. What ruse does Robin Hood create for the sake of King Richard's safety in Chapter 41?
9. What tip does Urfried give Cedric before he escapes?
10. Who is sent to Torquilstone posing as a priest, and what does he do to help Cedric escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonist(s) of the story. Who are they? Who is the central antagonist of the story? Who are the antagonists of the sub-plot? How do these characters shape the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Scott's use of irony in the novel "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone and plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the real historical figures of the novel. Who are the historical figures depicted in the novel? Has Scott portrayed them as they are remembered in history? Why or why not?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)