|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the invaders build during the battle?
2. How many men are said to be backing the opposition to De Bracy, Bois-Guilbert and Front-de-Boeuf?
3. Who does the Grand Master chastise for allowing Rebecca in the castle?
4. Who delivers a message to Isaac in Chapter 38?
5. Who saves Ivanhoe from the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bois-Guilbert say which greatly upsets Rebecca in Chapter 24?
2. In Chapter 38, what does Rebecca ask her father to do in her letter?
3. What happens to Rebecca towards the end of the battle? Who tries to save Rebecca?
4. Who is Urfried? What does she explain to Rebecca?
5. Who is sent to Torquilstone posing as a priest, and what does he do to help Cedric escape?
6. What does Ulrica say to Front-de-Boeuf as he lays dying?
7. What evidence is brought against Rebecca in her witchcraft trial?
8. What does Bois-Guilbert claim was his plan to save Rebecca? What ruins his plan?
9. How did Ivanhoe come to be with Isaac and Rebecca?
10. What are Bois-Guilbert's aspirations, and what does he offer Rebecca in exchange for marrying him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author, Sir Walter Scott, and his canon. What genre does he usually write in? What similarities can be made between "Ivanhoe" and Scott's other work?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the female leads of the story, Lady Rowena and Rebecca, as well as their relationships with Ivanhoe.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of disguise. Who wears a disguise in the novel and why? Who chooses not to disguise himself and how does it affect his life? How does Scott depict the revealing of these characters?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)