|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is said to be captured by the forest outlaws in Chapter 27?
2. Who is Ambrose?
3. What proposal does Bois-Guilbert make to Rebecca?
4. In Chapter 30, who wants to release the prisoners?
5. How does the battle between the Normans and Saxons commence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Urfried? What does she explain to Rebecca?
2. How is the scene outside Athelstane's castle described in Chapter 41?
3. In Chapter 36, what does de Baumanoir chastise Malvoisin for, and what does Malvoisin say in his defense?
4. What evidence is brought against Rebecca in her witchcraft trial?
5. What does Urfried tell Cedric about her past?
6. What does Front-de-Boeuf give to Cedric before he escapes?
7. What does De Bracy tell Prince John in York?
8. In Chapter 38, what does Rebecca ask her father to do in her letter?
9. What request does King Richard make of Cedric in Chapter 42? What request does Cedric make of Ivanhoe?
10. How did Ivanhoe come to be with Isaac and Rebecca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scott's use of symbolism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of symbols and what is the meaning behind them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the historical inaccuracies in the novel "Ivanhoe." Were these inaccuracies deliberate? If so, why might Scott have chosen to depict the story in a way that is not historically accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the real historical figures of the novel. Who are the historical figures depicted in the novel? Has Scott portrayed them as they are remembered in history? Why or why not?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)