|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is said to be captured by the forest outlaws in Chapter 27?
2. What sign does Urfried say the invaders should look for before attacking?
3. Who reads Rebecca's letter to Isaac?
4. What do the invaders build during the battle?
5. Who does Rebecca encounter in her cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulrica say to Front-de-Boeuf as he lays dying?
2. What advice does Nathan offer Isaac in Chapter 35?
3. In Chapter 38, what does Rebecca ask her father to do in her letter?
4. What evidence is brought against Rebecca in her witchcraft trial?
5. What does Bois-Guilbert claim was his plan to save Rebecca? What ruins his plan?
6. What confessions do the Black Knight and Robin of Locksley make in Chapter 40?
7. How did Ivanhoe come to be with Isaac and Rebecca?
8. What role does the Black Knight play in the Battle at Torquilstone?
9. In Chapter 36, what does de Baumanoir chastise Malvoisin for, and what does Malvoisin say in his defense?
10. How is the scene outside Athelstane's castle described in Chapter 41?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonist(s) of the story. Who are they? Who is the central antagonist of the story? Who are the antagonists of the sub-plot? How do these characters shape the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Normans and the Saxons and the sub-plot surrounding these groups. Who were these groups? Why were they fighting? Are they portrayed accurately? How does their feud affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflicts in "Ivanhoe." What causes them and how are they resolved?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)