|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do King Richard and his men depart for in Chapter 41?
2. Who reads Rebecca's letter to Isaac?
3. What does the message Rebecca was given in Chapter 37 instruct her to do?
4. After revealing his identity in Chapter 42, what does King Richard request of Cedric?
5. What does Bois-Guilbert aspire to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. In her trial, what does Rebecca do when she is given time to argue her defense?
2. What does Robin of Locksley give the Black Knight in Chapter 32?
3. How is the scene outside Athelstane's castle described in Chapter 41?
4. In Chapter 38, what does Rebecca ask her father to do in her letter?
5. What does De Bracy tell Prince John in York?
6. What are Bois-Guilbert's aspirations, and what does he offer Rebecca in exchange for marrying him?
7. What happens when the Black Knight and Wamba are traveling through the forest in Chapter 40?
8. What tip does Urfried give Cedric before he escapes?
9. What ruse does Robin Hood create for the sake of King Richard's safety in Chapter 41?
10. What does Bois-Guilbert say which greatly upsets Rebecca in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of chivalry in the novel "Ivanhoe." What is Ivanhoe's opinion of chivalry? What are other characters opinions of chivalry? What are the ideals of chivalry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author, Sir Walter Scott, and his canon. What genre does he usually write in? What similarities can be made between "Ivanhoe" and Scott's other work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scott's use of irony in the novel "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone and plot of the novel?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)