|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to Torquilstone posing as a priest?
2. Who does the Black Knight first defeat?
3. Who sends a letter of warning to De Bracy, Bois-Guilbert and Front-de-Boeuf?
4. Who does De Bracy think is the Black Knight?
5. How many days is Rebecca given to find a champion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is sent to Torquilstone posing as a priest, and what does he do to help Cedric escape?
2. What does Urfried tell Cedric about her past?
3. What request does King Richard make of Cedric in Chapter 42? What request does Cedric make of Ivanhoe?
4. What happens when the Black Knight and Wamba are traveling through the forest in Chapter 40?
5. What role does the Black Knight play in the Battle at Torquilstone?
6. What happens to Rebecca towards the end of the battle? Who tries to save Rebecca?
7. What advice does Nathan offer Isaac in Chapter 35?
8. What evidence is brought against Rebecca in her witchcraft trial?
9. Who is Urfried? What does she explain to Rebecca?
10. At Athelstane's castle, what are the twenty women in an apartment doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the real historical figures of the novel. Who are the historical figures depicted in the novel? Has Scott portrayed them as they are remembered in history? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Scott's use of symbolism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of symbols and what is the meaning behind them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflicts in "Ivanhoe." What causes them and how are they resolved?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)