|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isaac give to the Grand Master ?
2. What symbol appears on a banner above the gate at Athelstane's castle?
3. What do De Bracy, Bois-Guilbert and Front-de-Boeuf request in their letter to their opposition?
4. As expressed in Chapter 29, what does Rebecca see no value in?
5. What does Rebecca threaten to do while speaking to Bois-Guilbert?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonist(s) of the story. Who are they? Who is the central antagonist of the story? Who are the antagonists of the sub-plot? How do these characters shape the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Ivanhoe. What are his defining character traits? What are his motives and how does he go about achieving his goals? Why is he fighting with his father? Why might Scott have chosen to have the protagonist of the novel be injured throughout much of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the real historical figures of the novel. Who are the historical figures depicted in the novel? Has Scott portrayed them as they are remembered in history? Why or why not?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)