* Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott combines history with fiction to create a tale of chivalry and oppression.
* In England, the Norman royalty controls the Saxon population.
* On his way back from the Crusades in the Holy Land, King Richard the Lion-Hearted is captured and held for ransom.
* Prince John usurps King Richard's power. Richard was a fair ruler, whereas John demeans the Saxons and steals their land.
* Gurth and Wamba discuss the battle brewing between the Normans and the Saxons.
* Wamba worries about the pending visit of a Normal nobleman, Reginald Front-de-Boeuf to his master, Cedric the Saxon.
* Two horsemen ask Gurth and Wamba directions to Cedric the Saxon's home. Wamba gives the men false directions and the end up at the Sunken Cross.
* The horsemen encounter a stranger, a palmer who shows them the way to Cedric the Saxon's...
This section contains 2,776 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)