|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annie characterize her mother's personality when she was well?
2. What habit of Annie's mother's distresses Annie?
3. What sentence does Annie decide she can never use in a fictional story?
4. What does Annie recall her mother telling Annie it was their duty to do?
5. What does Annie recall that her mother did for even the smallest misbehavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I REMAIN IN DARKNESS is a classic reversal of roles story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the dynamic of the mother-daughter role. Why is this relationship such a critical one for girls? How does the relationship between Annie and her mother exhibit in flashbacks? How is the relationship characterized in current time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most French families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)