|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie remember about her mother's physical presence?
2. What is Blanche doing when Annie visits her in February?
3. Annie notes that she talks about her mother _________________.
4. What does Annie recall her mother telling Annie it was their duty to do?
5. What is an important motif in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the dynamic of the mother-daughter role. Why is this relationship such a critical one for girls? How does the relationship between Annie and her mother exhibit in flashbacks? How is the relationship characterized in current time?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)