|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie feels that her own life runs ___________ her mother's.
2. What is placed all over the institution where Blanche lives?
3. With what does Annie associate days in her life?
4. What does Annie not believe about her mother?
5. Which of the following does Annie NOT do for her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most French families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)