|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie find in her mother's nightstand table drawer?
2. What did Annie feel was her role after her sister died?
3. Writing about her mother is a good way for Annie to do what?
4. How does Annie's mother often respond when she gives her a manicure?
5. Annie thinks that she can't write anything with enough ______________ to describe her mother's ordeal.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most French families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the dynamic of the mother-daughter role. Why is this relationship such a critical one for girls? How does the relationship between Annie and her mother exhibit in flashbacks? How is the relationship characterized in current time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)