|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Blanche NOT exhibit after her hip surgery?
2. Who did Blanche take Annie to visit in the hospital when Annie was a child?
3. What does Annie not believe about her mother?
4. How many years did Annie's mother wear gray or black clothing in mourning for her mother?
5. What does Annie look at two weeks after her mother dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the people are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most French families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)