|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annie define her own emotional state at this time?
2. What request does Blanche make of Annie that breaks Annie's heart?
3. What sentence does Annie decide she can never use in a fictional story?
4. What is placed all over the institution where Blanche lives?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the cake that Annie brings for her mother to eat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author provides her own perspective of the world throughout the story. Choose at least one situation in the book which also involves another person and create a brief synopsis of how he/she viewed the same situation.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)