|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens once Annie decides to tell her mother's story?
2. Which of the following does Annie NOT do for her mother?
3. How does Blanche say that she feels with Annie?
4. How many years did Annie's mother wear gray or black clothing in mourning for her mother?
5. In what does Annie find some small comfort related to her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)