|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie states that her mother was ________________ by herself.
2. What is Blanche's reaction to Annie's return?
3. What happened to Annie's mother the year Annie's grandmother died?
4. How does Annie describe the way her mother looked on Easter Day in April?
5. What sentence does Annie decide she can never use in a fictional story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guilt takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)