|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie recall her mother saying about her after Annie's sister died?
2. How does Annie feel when the elevator door shuts in her mother's face?
3. What does Annie bring each time she visits her mother?
4. How many years did Annie's mother wear gray or black clothing in mourning for her mother?
5. What does Annie remember that makes her break down and cry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the three primary reasons Annie's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us us understand personal and public histories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)